K. Hovnanian Companies Employee Reviews

Still around
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJApril 4, 2017
This company gave me my first experience with Project management and estimating. I am grateful for the experience and realized I then that I have technological savvy when they sent me for training on excel and their software.
Working with Great People
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 26, 2016
Management was great. Coworkers intelligent and wonderful to work with. Benefits were generous. Too bad the Home building industry went south! It was great to have been a part of the team.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Month end processes
Wow! Hard to find a better place to work.
Management (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 7, 2016
I've been with the company a little under two years and could not be happier. From top to bottom the level of support is amazing. Management cares about their employees. Truly a great place to work.
Pros
Great quality of life, competitive compensation
Cons
Since no one leaves it takes longer to advance.
Nothing Short of an Organized Crime Syndicate
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDOctober 16, 2016
K. Hovnanian is THE most corrupt and crooked company I have ever worked for. From cooking their books for the last ten years without change orders to covering up contaminated well water in their communities, these people are criminals and need to be investigated and prosecuted. I have the proof if anyone at the SEC has the ballz to actually run with it.

The contractors are passing envelopes to government inspectors and upper management is bribing county commissioners. They use defective materials in their builds and they have judges in their hip pocket so good luck trying to bring a lawsuit after your home starts to fall apart. Good luck trying to prosecute them in this completely corrupted judiciary, period.
Pros
Great place to work if you are looking to sell your soul.....
Cons
Too many to list here. It needs an legal endictment.
Incompetent Division upper management
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2016
I thought I was the only one that thought that upper management ( Division ) was terrible! Until I read others reviews! Back stabbing is an understatement ! Worked 7 days a week to produce a quality product, to to less then subpar subs! Reported thief from an associate, was crucified ? Come to find out, this is normal division practice??? If you take pride in your work & honest! Move on and apply elsewhere!
Pros
Cons
Many
Poor Management and Training in Chantilly
Sales (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAMay 10, 2016
15 sales members quit or forced out over a 2 year period. Such a breakdown in policy, professionalism and overall training. If you disagree with management you will be forced out, doubled up or out at a terrible site.
Very rewarding
Director of Construction / Community Builder / (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJFebruary 18, 2016
Full charge of home building. Site work to completion. worked with some terrific people, who understood the clients needs . we always kept a 95% success rate
Pros
great people
Cons
Investing in the employee's makes a difference
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoyed my job especially the training we had this was value. I experienced the private sector starting with Town & Country -The Ryan Family owned and managed then transitioned to the corporate world of K, Hovnanian. Having the freedom to go above and beyond for each individual client made the difference, setting us apart was that family dream, Our construction became ordinary and the investment in there staff lost it's personal care, , I am dedicated and take pride in my work. I appreciated the job work didn't feel like work when you love establishing that time with the customer and getting to know the needs of others, and the family"s that came. I wish corporate company's had the same investment to the people who were there through the good times and bad. Dedicated was what I was until I became another number at the unemployment line.
Pros
Area and market price for compdtitive sales
Cons
laid-off from market conditions
Terrible Executive Management
Division Controller (Former Employee) –  EdisonSeptember 14, 2015
CFO is abusive and condescending. Promotions based on politics not skill sets or results.

The company has grown so large, it is unable to react. People are so intimidated, no one will make a decision for fear of termination.

Don't let your CFO bully everyone.....it's counterproductive. Consider he may actually be under performing and hurting your company's morale in one of the most important areas....Finance...
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Executive management is unprofessional
Liars, Manipulators, Backstabbers
Land (Former Employee) –  SEFLAugust 5, 2015
I have worked for multiple well recognized builders and this is the absolute worst ever. Take a long look at the amount of turnover in SE FL.
All of this the responsibility & failure of the division president.
Most horrible and mean place to work. Turn over of entire staff including management and senior teams any excuse not to pay bonuses and place is always a fire drill with no level of competence by the division president.
No support by the Management or corporate. Everchanging rules.
Tampa is also to blame as they are driving the bus.If you value your reputation do not work here. Also a HR nightmare. They have no idea whats going on or care about employees.
Pros
Long hours no rewards beat downs weekly
Cons
Sun up to midnight, no appreciation for any accomplishment
worse company management
CCM construction manager on job site (Former Employee) –  OHIO DIVISION LORAIN and CANTON DIVISIONJanuary 13, 2015
Got in early and worked endlessly, unprofessional management, a lot of back STABBING, different management will throw other employees not under his supervision to protect the construction project manager under him. NO loyalty always look to step on employees loyal and hard workers to advance their career... a lot of clicks...... DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND DON'T WORK FOR THIS COMPANY... Went to work for another builder and what a difference,,, don't let their size of company fool you... use the contractors they hire against each other..LYING IS COMMON PLACE HERE...CYA ALWAYS LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER
Pros
Large and knows how to cut corners against customer's homes
Cons
back stabbing fellow employees in other departments unprofessional
KHovnanian Florida
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tampa FloridaOctober 23, 2014
Be careful. They are dishonest and shows through individuals who work here. Some people here are good but demanding. Was a pleasure taking another position with another company. Be cautious...dishonest. Be cautious of internal staff they are rude and push back with rudeness when you simple want answers.
Don't know how some of them can sleep at night.
Pros
Pay was good for the market
Cons
Dishonest, used car salesman types, bleed your life.
Unprofessional, inconsistant, blaners
sales associate (Former Employee) –  lorain, ohOctober 11, 2014
I worked for the company and from the start was unimpressed with its nanagement. Lack of experience, professionalusm, and a human resources nightmare. I worked for only 6 months in the lorain, ohio division and happily quit and took a position with another builder who runs circles around them. Its great to work for a company that has GREAT Marketing, understands positionong, strategizing, and the concept of dressing professionally.
Cons
unprofessional management
Team player, motivating, a good listener, detailed & organized, conflict manager
Homeowner Service Director (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 9, 2014
Responsible for all aspect of manging warraany with field managers and coordinators. Responsible for quality of homes and reported known defects.(see resume)
enjoyable
Community Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  TXMarch 5, 2014
This company is straight forward and values employee feedback.
Multi tasking, productive, detail oriented,
HOS Coordinator & Administrator to area VP (Former Employee) –  Edison N.J. 08820February 8, 2014
I held 2 different positions at K. Hovnanian which included Homeowner Service Coordinator and Administrator to Area VP.
I experienced working with new homeowners and resolving any issues they were having in their new home, from changing a smoke alarm battery to troubleshooting structural issues, and everything in between. I would manage scheduling appointments for 24 Service Managers and trades to meet with Homeowners for repairs to be completed.
Also I learned a lot about home sales, and construction to closing processes.
I enjoyed all my co-workers as every one of them brought different knowledge to the table.
I can not say there was anything difficult other than the declining new home sales and to watch many co-workers be laid off. In the nearly 8 years I was with K.Hovnanian I saw the company downsize from a group of nearly 7,000 to approximately 1,000 employees in my division.
Everyday was learning experience which made it the most enjoyable part of the job,
Pros
Always learning new things, Great Benefits, Amazing co-workers
Cons
Job security was realated to the Real Estate Market and the decline of new home sales.
Wonderful work environment
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2012
I have worked for several builders and have never seem the teamwork and passion that I have experienced here. I love going to work every day.
Pros
helpful and fun group of talented professionals
A good entry level job.
Assistant Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMay 17, 2012
Very organized, but the compensation was on the low side. Their processes were well explained and let you make decisions based on the process.
Cons
low compensation.
Many opportunities for growth in each department and throughout the company.
Construction Services (Former Employee) –  Raritan CenterDecember 25, 2011
There are training programs, internal resources available for self growth, self motivation to persue many opportunities within the company.
typical builder
Sales (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 17, 2011
Besides the fact that it's very hard to sell homes in this market, the biggest drawback is that the schedule includes working every Saturday and Sunday until at least 6pm, plus meetings on days off and blocked out dates when you're not allowed to take your vacation. The company can place you wherever you are needed, regardless of commute, you have no say. With the fall of the housing market, offices are barely staffed, doesn't feel safe for one female to be working alone late into the evening.
Pros
income potential
Cons
schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at K. Hovnanian Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9