K12 Employee Reviews

Busy during summer, fun environment
State enrollment consultant (Former Employee) –  VAFebruary 3, 2017
I was hired during the busy summer quarter when a lot of people were hired. Our schedules varied daily and weekly with an occasional Saturday work day ( only during summer time). Couldn't take time off during summer months and the breaks were strictly scheduled. Wasn't really cold calling because people call in for information or request you call them. Definitely more of a revolving door position- people were either there for a long time or not very long. There are a lot of people to compete against for growth but it's big company. Sometimes the days feel like they can drag on but other days you are busy and it flies. The good parts- majority of supervisors and coworkers were really chill/cool to work with, more laid back attire, company paid lunches, fun environment/people, good customer service experience doing brainless work for a good salary, the benefits and salary plus bonus (which is pretty simple to attain).
Pros
benefits, pay + bonus
Cons
Strict Scheduled breaks, always on phone
Review
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 20, 2016
I like this company but the things that they will write you up for or fire you for are ridiculous. My supervisor started out great but has let his position go to his head.
Pros
Benefits, management
Collect computers distributed
Document Processor to Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Herndon,VAJuly 1, 2016
Contact families to have equipment returned.
Assist families in any questions they have in regards to what computer equipment needs to be returned and follow the proper procedures.

Teach new teammates the rules and regulations by company and school standards.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing all the different things it takes for a company to run smoothly.

The hardest part is not always having things runs smoothly in a department and having unsatisfied parents and co-workers.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No benefits
Decent
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 26, 2016
Decent place to work short term
Salary is competitive for the area
Lack of communication from management
good place for people right out of college
Waste of time
Registrar (Former Employee) –  FLMay 26, 2016
Horrible company to work for. K12 only cares about themselves and not their employees. Florida will probably be shut down within the next couple of years if not sooner.
Pros
Salary and no time clock
Cons
Management and everything else
Review of K12
Video Intern (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at K12 consists of figuring out what video assignment I would take on for the day. Once that is figured out executing it to meet the deadline for it is the following step.

I've learned a lot of interpersonal skills as well as technical skills that can be used extensively in my career path.

The hardest and most enjoyable part of my job was the large undertaking I recently had to take on. K12 is the online provider for K-12 educations and it has schools all over the country. I was assigned to create a graduation compilation video from all these schools which meant gathering all the footage from these schools, occasionally reaching out to videographers about the status of the footage, organizing the footage and compiling it into the finished product.
Pros
Great people to work with
Low salaries for teachers
Instructional Development Coach (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 27, 2016
Work from home, but not compensated well. Have learned a great deal about best practices and educational pedagogy through this company. People work hard and management and HR are on top of things.
Pros
Remote work from home
Cons
low salary
Horrible place to work for
Personal Admissions Liason (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNFebruary 6, 2016
The hours are long, they grade you harshly on your calls, they dangle the idea of a bonus in front of you if you work hard only to take it away from you at the end of the month for stupid reasons, there's no chance for advancement. I worked there for about a year and in the beginning it was actually a pretty decent company to work for, but they grew to fast and were unable to properly manage things and started treating their employees horribly. Turnover rate is insanely high. They have trouble keeping employees because of how stressful the job is. Overall I would not recommend this job. The employees are all stressed out and upper management simply doesn't care.
Pros
Coworkers are great, a few of the supervisors are actually helpful, money can be decent if they don't take away your bonus
Cons
Product Development, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 30, 2016
K12 is a great place to work. The people there care about the product they are producing and take the time to make it right. Management is strong and communicates well w. their departments.
Everyone's very nice, but it sort of runs your life.
Contracted Enrollment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 29, 2016
The culture is great, but you become consumed with work and how fast paced working in a call center is. It can be really stressful and demanding, and not in a way that is easily handled.
Pros
Free coffee, nice coworkers
Cons
Rude customers
Poor management style
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 3, 2016
Potentially good place of work but leadership style needs to be more employee focused.
Good team of coworkers but excessive amount of urgent firedrills means it's difficult to enjoy job satisfaction.
I work with great people
Content Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 24, 2016
K12 is a very inviting and supportive company to work for. I feel respected and am comfortable giving my input. Pay is decent enough. I have learned a TON from them. Being an ex-classroom teacher, technology was my weakness, but most people were extremely helpful (not at all condescending) with my lack of skill initially.
Pros
Make your own hours for the most part
Cons
not much notice when your work hours will be shortened
Great if you love school
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 27, 2016
*Disclaimer* I do not work for K12 Corp. I tutor on my own for students in the K12 program and charge $8.00 an hour. I love it and it is pretty easy for a college student like me.
Pros
Work for yourself
Cons
slow periods during state testing
Stay away
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 14, 2016
Don't waste time your at this company its sucks. No culture, majority of the people who work at k12 impose their views on your work. More criticism than constructive criticism.
Pros
Job
Cons
No Job
Was fun working as startup
Solution Architect (Sr. Software Engineer) (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 18, 2016
Co-workers are very knowledgeable
Learned Open Source Technologies
Enjoyed designing new products for education
hardest part was tight deadline and aggressive nature of delivery
Great place to work rewarding the work with free lunch once a week and dinner for late workers.
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 9, 2014
Everyone had there own stations and met there targets. The atmosphere was great with the Supervisor on hand and constantly setting competitions between the other coworkers. Great prizes like Red skins tickets etc. Monday and Wednesday Lunch was provided and Dinner on some nights if you stayed late. The hardest was to ensure that parents submitted the paper work for admission on time else they had to be told they were late and have to wait until next semester.
Enjoyable was overtime with a select crowd and challenges.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and dinner on selected days
Cons
No benefits and job no job security
Take chance with caution
Enrollment Consultant (Former Employee) –  HerndonFebruary 15, 2013
Coworkers made this place fun but it gets old after repeating yourself day after day! Management doesn't really help and its all about numbers. The family's that you talk with that really care and the compensation are the best parts. If you're looking for a good paycheck but don't care about repeating yourself and poor management, go here. I know a lot of people who have left after myself.
Pros
free lunches during busy quarters, compensation, helping family's that really care
Cons
poor work/life balance, management, revolving door employment, nasty callers
Only if you really need a remote job...
teacher (Current Employee) –  remote, pennsylvaniaSeptember 9, 2014
You get to work from home, which is good. Management is so far removed that they really don't know what you do/don't do. Pay is pretty bad for the education field, especially considering the fact that the demands placed on you include tasks that would be in a much higher salary range. Executive leadership is out of touch and struggling to protect their own interests, and constantly throwing the rank and file under the bus.

Then there are the boiler plate complaints: management doesn't understand what your job is, they only look at data; little opportunity for advancement; constantly changing directives; pay is low, very low; management is very inconsiderate of the staff/faculty; lack of professional courtesy and positive culture; etc.

Honestly, the best part of the job would be your students. The worst is the adults. However, I understand that in certain life situations this could be a very attractive job offer. Many people work from home to take care of their kids, offer elder care, travel, run their own home businesses, etc.
Pros
most of your coworkers are reasonable, and you work from home
Cons
pretty much everything else
Productive workplace
Reclamation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAMay 31, 2016
I had a great time working about the enrollment and reclamation office for K12. I learned a lot of computer skills and got to network with good people in the company. I worked on the phones and processed documents. i got to use new sites such as Salesforce, SharePoint, K12 Total View, and PDF Sams. I got more and more familiar with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. I worked with customer service all day on the phone and can adequately handle difficult customers. The company has given me a lot of experience this past year.
Poor management
Document Processor (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMay 4, 2016
This company only cares about the bottom line. There is no job security. The current manager in the department I worked in is a bully and a liar. She wrongfully fires employees and lies to HR as to the reason.
Pros
I liked my job
Cons
liars, bullies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at K12. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4