K12

K12 Employee Reviews

No raise in 3 years, over 40 hours per week, dictated schedule down to when you could relieve yourself
Teacher (Former Employee), Insight Academy of ArizonaJuly 3, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: Mismanaged chaos, low pay, no flexibility, lack of respect to staff especially those with higher and advanced degrees, demands that required 12+ hour days consistently year round, no vacation time, punishment if you take sick time (ie you are written up for being insubordinate)
After leaving Arizona's largest online school for promises of promotions, stability, and a caring work environment, within 90 days, the truth surfaced. The "Director" is actually an elementary school student advisor who failed on a previous occasion to lead, so, rather than keep her in a non leadership role, K12 allowed her to start Insight Academy of Arizona. The school never grew, staff turnover was incredibly high, and promises of raises constantly loomed overhead but never came true. The assistant principal, if you want to call her that, is a math teacher, and the new Support Specialist is a PE teacher. It's a terrible environment when years of experience, advanced degrees, and work ethic are rewarded with demands that wouldn't be placed on you in a B&M environment. The laptops track every move you make, but the information is always incorrect, and you must adhere to a schedule dictated down to the time you're able to go to the restroom. K12 preys on stay at home mothers who want to take care of their children, but once you are on staff, you are asked to make certain your job comes first and that you hire a nanny or put your child in daycare. In addition, ideas about innovation, student centered learning dynamics, and support services aimed at helping children find success will only get you written up for being insubordinate to the current mindset. Unless the administrative team is removed from this school, there will be no more ISAZ. In 3 years, this school has not grown, and in the last semester 15 different people quit. However, no changes were made and no changes seem to be in the works. Do yourself a favor and look into any other remote education opportunity. This one will suck the love of teaching out of you and leave you looking to work anywhere but in a classroom.
Learning Coach Home Schooling
High School Learning Coach (Former Employee), Denver, CoJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Ability to help my Student
Cons: None
I am currently home schooling my High School Student and found that being a Learning Coach very rewarding. I enjoyed interacting with the K12 Staff and helping with studies.
Could have been a great school
Teacher At ISAZ (Former Employee), phoenix, ArizonaJune 28, 2015
Pros: used to be working from home
Cons: bad leadership, low pay, no opportunities for advancement, I could go on and on.
This school is doomed. They have had 80% turnover since January and more will follow due to asst principal's lack of training and leadership skills. Hard working teachers are overloaded with tasks and duties and then criticized for not being able to meet all of the insane demands. Pay here is way under the market and now teachers have zero flexibility. Any expression of a differing opinion from asst principal is seen as being negative or complaining.

Teachers with the fewest qualifications were promoted due to their affiliation with management and not because they are the best people to lead the school or programs. There are very few left that were there last year, and I imagine they will be starting off with all brand new staff for the coming year.

If you enjoy dedicating all you have to your job and making very little money, being criticized constantly, and insulted and demeaned then by all means apply here. If you are looking for a school where you matter, where you are rewarded for you hard work, and where you have open collaboration and respect then do not work here.
Nothing fun about this place!
Registrar (Former Employee), Nicoma Park, OKJune 10, 2015
Pros: Getting off wotk
Cons: Everything else
The people you work with in office or the teachers will stab you in the back! Lack of communication and training. Not a good place to work! If I could I would have rated a zero.
great team and growth
Advisor (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXMay 13, 2015
great company, fast-paced and fun

I had wonderful bosses and co-workers

growth opportunity and family-work balance

most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work from home yet still have a sense of team
Lofty demands placed with little to no instruction, unclear expectations, no student accountability
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 13, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: implementation of new procedures/policies with no clear expectiations/training
This school's atmosphere has changed dramatically in the past year. Teachers are constantly being inundated with new policies & procedures without much clear understanding as to why or how to properly & effectively implement them. In turn, teachers are being blamed & castigated for being non-compliant.
I've had to spend more time creating sheets to collect & maintain student data that I've actually spent teaching.
Administration is not knowledgeable
Progressive and Cutting Edge
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Reston, VAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: positive educational experience
Cons: do not get to meet all of the parcipants personally
K12 is a great company. It has opened the door for many students that do not thrive in the normal public school setting. It affords them the ability to obtain an education within the security of home for various reasons. It also gives parents the opportunity to be more involved in the actual scholastic development of their child which is a benefit of all involved.
Great company with ease to work with management
Math Teacher (Current Employee), OnlineFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: people and pay
Haven't been with the company for too long, but so far everyone at my level and above me have been great to work with.Extremely flexible and friendly.

Pay is comparable with other education levels.
Temporary assigment to support peak
Document Processor (Former Employee), Herndon, VAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: really liked the work
Cons: cramped conditions
I got the wrong address and arrived late for my first day at work. Which led me being constantly reminded to be on time, that got to be annoying.

Having records and information experience I looked forward to and enjoyed examining the documents. Quickly reading a document and looking for errors, omissions and approving the documents was exciting. Developing familiarity with the states and regions compliance policies was challenging in the beginning.

Hearing the other temps complain how tedious the work was grated on my nerves. Being in a conference room with 40 workers and sharing a table with 3 other employees was nerve wracking.

There was no place to put my bags, except the floor. I could hear the music from co-workers earphones.

The company served free food. The updates are posted with no email alerts, which led to conflicts and confusion in the document processing would occur.
Fast-paced, team oriented call center
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee), Herndon, VADecember 10, 2014
I really enjoyed working at K12. Though there was a lot of information to learn in a short period of time, the support, information, and tips from seasoned employees helped shape me into a confident and knowledgeable representative. So much so, that I was able to help train new employees within months of my start date.

Working for K12 was rewarding in that I felt satisfaction knowing that I was able to help parents better understand how K12 works while helping them enroll their students with the online school.

My co-workers made going to work fun and exciting. We worked well together to achieve and maintain a positive experience for our customers.

While at K12, I was able to stregthen many skills including communication, computer skills, building and maintaining positive relationships with customers, and more.
Great environment
Product Development Specialist (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKNovember 25, 2014
Great people and friendly work environment. Hours are flexible with abilities to work from home occasionally. Deadlines can be rough, but the work es very rewarding.
Great place to start your career off in the corporate atmosphere.
Personal Admission Liaison (Contractor) (Former Employee), Herndon, VANovember 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches, great people, and relaxed environment.
Cons: short breaks, bad communication between departments that are suppose to be working together.
Great place to start your career and get a better sense of what you, as an individual, want your identity to be in the customer service industry.
good
Personal Admissions Liasion (Current Employee), Alcoa, TNOctober 27, 2014
good place to work, co workers are friendly. good atmosphere.. good pay,
Only if you really need a remote job...
teacher (Current Employee), remote, pennsylvaniaSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: most of your coworkers are reasonable, and you work from home
Cons: pretty much everything else
You get to work from home, which is good. Management is so far removed that they really don't know what you do/don't do. Pay is pretty bad for the education field, especially considering the fact that the demands placed on you include tasks that would be in a much higher salary range. Executive leadership is out of touch and struggling to protect their own interests, and constantly throwing the rank and file under the bus.

Then there are the boiler plate complaints: management doesn't understand what your job is, they only look at data; little opportunity for advancement; constantly changing directives; pay is low, very low; management is very inconsiderate of the staff/faculty; lack of professional courtesy and positive culture; etc.

Honestly, the best part of the job would be your students. The worst is the adults. However, I understand that in certain life situations this could be a very attractive job offer. Many people work from home to take care of their kids, offer elder care, travel, run their own home businesses, etc.
Great organization to work for....
Program Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: k12's practice is working smart, being teachable and following suggestion.
Cons: not all participants agree with this underlying principle.
The Founder of K12, Inc. understands clearly the necessity to innovate. He continues to take lead in piloting new ventures and I proactively support leaders who expect more of themselves then others. Great leadership avoids pointing fingers, always being the better example to every organizational member.
A great learning experience.
Enrollment Consultant (Current Employee), Herndon, VAMay 28, 2014
Pros: experience, mentorship
Cons: incentive decrease
K12 started off as a sales position with wonderful incentives that were attainable if one was able to work hard. Within the past 6 months, there has been a lot of change in management and in culture. I value my time there, as I have gained professional experience in customer support and in general office experience, the opportunity to advance and grow professionally falls short as so many peers have moved on to other ventures.
Great place to work rewarding the work with free lunch once a week and dinner for late workers.
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Reston, VAApril 9, 2014
Pros: free breakfast, lunch and dinner on selected days
Cons: no benefits and job no job security
Everyone had there own stations and met there targets. The atmosphere was great with the Supervisor on hand and constantly setting competitions between the other coworkers. Great prizes like Red skins tickets etc. Monday and Wednesday Lunch was provided and Dinner on some nights if you stayed late. The hardest was to ensure that parents submitted the paper work for admission on time else they had to be told they were late and have to wait until next semester.
Enjoyable was overtime with a select crowd and challenges.
Needs improvement
Sr.Fin Ana (Former Employee), CorporateMarch 18, 2014
Pros: have a job
Cons: job you don't enjoy
Does not promote from within, poor to no work culture. Professional dev is hard to come by, morale needs work, very less time with management and communication needs work.
no work life balance
PAL (Former Employee), HerndonMarch 13, 2014
Pros: when i got off work
Cons: everything
This place was horrible +Herndon 5rh fl) they actually have TV screens up with everyone's name to show whose running late to and from break. Most of the workers will even tell you....leave as soon as you can find another job
Specializing on Under Appreciation and sucking the life out of valuable employees until they leave
Enrollment (Former Employee), Herndon, VADecember 9, 2013
Pros: entry level staff and team leads all have fantastic energy and hunger
Cons: herndon 5th floor enrollment upper management under qualified and underproduce, while causing a toxic work environment
The Director with the most influence really has minimal true experience or product knowledge, and the company saw the repercussions of having someone like her in charge this past season. A large percentage of the legacy knowledge was either pushed out or left on their own prior to Aug1 of 2013 for a reason, and with that, the lack of true leadership and business savvy drastically impacted results. Hopefully K12 board members are intelligent enough to realize what cards they're left with, fold on their useless Upper management members, and reshuffle their deck. Otherwise- not looking good for a company that's buying back stick from their current employees!

About K12

K12 isn't a missing element from the periodic table, but it could help kids learn the periodic table. The company offers online – Read more

K12 Salaries