K12 Employee Reviews

Competitive and family environment
Enrollment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 13, 2017
K12 has, a great mission to provide students and families with a choice for their education. Provides choices in 48 states. Also has,a private pay option.
Pros
High bonus potential
Cons
Short breaks, point system
"For-Profit" Corporate Culture
Instructor (Former Employee) –  RemoteNovember 8, 2017
Be prepared to be treated as nothing more than an expendible warm body. It's definitely the corporate "for-profit" culture which, in my opinion, should not be associated with education. Expect low pay, high enrollments, and considerable micromanagement.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stressful
Call Center
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNAugust 3, 2017
It's a call Center and they are organized very well. But its a call center so you'l be bored to death. It's a tone better than say Vanderbilt because you're putting kids in school and not bill collecting but that's all I can say for it.
Pros
Feel good about the product
Cons
Call Center
PAL Position
PAL (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNJune 7, 2017
When you train, you believe you will be in a position making a difference. When you begin on the floor, it becomes about numbers and money and no longer about helping these families. Many families end up angry and upset because they have had to talk to several different people getting several different answers. The culture is, get the call that makes the money and it doesn't matter how the family is treated thereafter. There simply is not enough time to really give to the families because you are expected to make one call after another and not having the ability to look up an account. So what happens is you call a family and don't know what to reference because you didn't have time to pull up their files before calling which in turn creates frustration for them. If you like working in a cubicle and being told when you can and cannot go to the bathroom (btw, that time comes off your break time, just going to the bathroom) and you also don't mind screwing over families, this is the job for you.
Pros
Some of the people are really nice
Cons
Negative culture, greediness, no personal time (going to the restroom)
Little work/life balance with little positive feedback
Manager, School Operations (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 13, 2017
Moved up within one year but that should have been a red flag. There were two Operation Managers before I started and both left due to stress and the school has only been open for almost 4 years. There is a year long learning curve with this position and you should be prepared to learn on the job as there is no training program. There are only video trainings and asking questions. There is a lot to manage, between processes and staff, there is state testing, and plenty of emails you will need to check with 24 hrs or sooner. This job will burn you out quickly. The pay is ok but not for all you're responsible for.
Pros
Staff is nice
Cons
Very little positive feedback, don't expect much help, work a lot of hours including nights and weekends, pay could be better
Flexible hours but no advancement for contractors
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PAMarch 21, 2017
I enjoyed working for K12 at first but after awhile I was consistently being given tasks that were above my pay grade. I am a hard worker and thought if I did a good job that I would be rewarded. Nope! Contract workers get a ton of work for little pay. I was correcting the mistakes of employees who got paid 4x what I did....every day! I did enjoy my coworkers and the flexible hours. If they focused on retaining talent then they wouldn't have train new employees all the time.
Pros
Flexible hours, nice manager and coworkers
Cons
No advancement, low pay, given tasks not in job description
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNMarch 4, 2017
Enjoyed my time with K12, just was not the job for me, got burnt out very quickly. They do not give raises, but the starting pay is strong.
Pros
Good pay, 40+ hours a week
Cons
No part time, easy to get burnt out
Sinking ship. Stay away.
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 24, 2017
Mismanaged overall.

Existing management is not there to support employees, but also, do not pay attention to performance metrics and will make job security judgments based on personality alone.

There is low morale and high turnover, some staff asked to do jobs outside of their scope without compensation consistent with the duties or opportunities for transfer, promotion, or growth.

If you take a job here, do not ask for anything (up to and including a schedule change or a reasonable accommodation for an existing disability), you will be punished up to and including termination despite legalities. They don't want anyone rocking the boat even if a student's education and future depend on it.
Pros
a job
Cons
no job
Busy during summer, fun environment
State enrollment consultant (Former Employee) –  VAFebruary 3, 2017
I was hired during the busy summer quarter when a lot of people were hired. Our schedules varied daily and weekly with an occasional Saturday work day ( only during summer time). Couldn't take time off during summer months and the breaks were strictly scheduled. Wasn't really cold calling because people call in for information or request you call them. Definitely more of a revolving door position- people were either there for a long time or not very long. There are a lot of people to compete against for growth but it's big company. Sometimes the days feel like they can drag on but other days you are busy and it flies. The good parts- majority of supervisors and coworkers were really chill/cool to work with, more laid back attire, company paid lunches, fun environment/people, good customer service experience doing brainless work for a good salary, the benefits and salary plus bonus (which is pretty simple to attain).
Pros
benefits, pay + bonus
Cons
Strict Scheduled breaks, always on phone
Great if you love school
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 27, 2016
*Disclaimer* I do not work for K12 Corp. I tutor on my own for students in the K12 program and charge $8.00 an hour. I love it and it is pretty easy for a college student like me.
Pros
Work for yourself
Cons
slow periods during state testing
Review
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 20, 2016
I like this company but the things that they will write you up for or fire you for are ridiculous. My supervisor started out great but has let his position go to his head.
Pros
Benefits, management
Product Development, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 30, 2016
K12 is a great place to work. The people there care about the product they are producing and take the time to make it right. Management is strong and communicates well w. their departments.
Everyone's very nice, but it sort of runs your life.
Contracted Enrollment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 29, 2016
The culture is great, but you become consumed with work and how fast paced working in a call center is. It can be really stressful and demanding, and not in a way that is easily handled.
Pros
Free coffee, nice coworkers
Cons
Rude customers
Poor management style
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 3, 2016
Potentially good place of work but leadership style needs to be more employee focused.
Good team of coworkers but excessive amount of urgent firedrills means it's difficult to enjoy job satisfaction.
Was fun working as startup
Solution Architect (Sr. Software Engineer) (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 18, 2016
Co-workers are very knowledgeable
Learned Open Source Technologies
Enjoyed designing new products for education
hardest part was tight deadline and aggressive nature of delivery
Decent
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 26, 2016
Decent place to work short term
Salary is competitive for the area
Lack of communication from management
good place for people right out of college
I work with great people
Content Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 24, 2016
K12 is a very inviting and supportive company to work for. I feel respected and am comfortable giving my input. Pay is decent enough. I have learned a TON from them. Being an ex-classroom teacher, technology was my weakness, but most people were extremely helpful (not at all condescending) with my lack of skill initially.
Pros
Make your own hours for the most part
Cons
not much notice when your work hours will be shortened
Stay away
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 14, 2016
Don't waste time your at this company its sucks. No culture, majority of the people who work at k12 impose their views on your work. More criticism than constructive criticism.
Pros
Job
Cons
No Job
Review of K12
Video Intern (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at K12 consists of figuring out what video assignment I would take on for the day. Once that is figured out executing it to meet the deadline for it is the following step.

I've learned a lot of interpersonal skills as well as technical skills that can be used extensively in my career path.

The hardest and most enjoyable part of my job was the large undertaking I recently had to take on. K12 is the online provider for K-12 educations and it has schools all over the country. I was assigned to create a graduation compilation video from all these schools which meant gathering all the footage from these schools, occasionally reaching out to videographers about the status of the footage, organizing the footage and compiling it into the finished product.
Pros
Great people to work with
Collect computers distributed
Document Processor to Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Herndon,VAJuly 1, 2016
Contact families to have equipment returned.
Assist families in any questions they have in regards to what computer equipment needs to be returned and follow the proper procedures.

Teach new teammates the rules and regulations by company and school standards.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing all the different things it takes for a company to run smoothly.

The hardest part is not always having things runs smoothly in a department and having unsatisfied parents and co-workers.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No benefits