KBR Employee Reviews

Bad Place to Work
Project Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAFebruary 19, 2016
KBR today is not like the KBR a few years ago. The new management is from the UK and this company does not take care of the employees. The benefits have gone down, the job security is not there at all as it used to be.

The projects have dropped off, the days at work are good but the learning process is, KBR is not a good company any longer. People worked hard on the project but there are no raises any longer. I was in management and I felt the same as the employees, find another company with benefits and security. KBR is not the company for that.
Pros
Cons
Nothing I can think of
KBR is a great compnay to work for!
Legal/ Project Admin Assistant, Exective Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2016
With hard work (and in the right market), the sky is the limit at KBR.

You know that the people you work with and for care about you. Even with the current mark, I understand the decisions that have been made with regard to all the lay offs.

When the market stabilizes, I would encourage anyone that is still looking to consider KBR.

I learned that there is nothing I can't do and excellent management and encouragement from supervisors increased this concept of myself. You know that the people you work for have faith in you!

The hardest part of the job would be the rush you feel sometimes. I was never a person who caved under pressure but you certainly feel it at times.

The best parts of the job are the people and the opportunities.
Pros
free parking, excellent benefits
Cons
the current state of the oil and gas industry greatly affect your work stability
Its construction. Every company has its perks. KBR is actually better than most.
Rigger (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXOctober 20, 2015
Competitive pay rates compared to other companies but management on certain projects will not fight to raise wages when they cannot get qualified people and will work the ones they have in to the ground. Management does not care about its employees. Safety on some projects is said and expected but rarely seen in the field.
Pros
Long term projects.
Cons
Low pay and will not increase pay to get qualified people in the right positions
KBR Work Culture
Senior Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2016
KBR was a decent place to work and great if you are disabled or prefer lots of office work. The opportunities to work in the field are highly limited; however, the additional per diem is great if you are lucky enough to get one of the few field opportunities they provide. The culture claims to promote work-life balance, but if the backlog gets low due to poor economic conditions or poor effort by the salesteam, everyone is expected to work overtime, sometimes for free, to meet project demands. Management oftentimes seems out of touch with project and employee needs. A typical day consists of showing up to the office, bantering with coworkers a little, then doing the same thing you probably have done for the last 2-3 years - sometimes longer. I learned that advancement is entirely up to the individual to pursue and even large companies will not do anything to observe employees and determine who and when different people should be promoted, given more responsibility, or fired. Co-workers are generally very nice. The engineering arm is quite diverse, but the construction and executive arms are by far white males in all managerial and supervisory positions. The hardest part of the job was giving and receiving feedback, particularly in regard to performance reviews. Either the feedback was too politically correct and not useful or it was too critical and taken personally. It was also hard to work for years and never see the fruit of your labor (the final constructed project) as much of KBR's work is FEED or bid related and does not become EPC work. Further, the EPC projects  more... take a long time to complete and engineers are rarely invited to the field following engineering. This is also an issue because engineers, especially younger engineers, do not gain the invaluable lessons that come with field experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others learn how to navigate their career in a company that provides no guidance on the topic other than volunteers in networking groups within the company.  less
Pros
Decent salary, nice people, flex time, every other Friday off
Cons
Poor work-life balance, low project backlog, poor management, favoritism needed for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 19, 2016
Loved working for this company where there was always room for advancement. New CEO has a great view of making improvements for the company.
Pros
Loved working the 9 80 work schedule
Great Projects and People-Great Place to work!
Project Mgr/Sr Developer/Arch (IT Dir/Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed both projects on which my teams worked!

Great KBR leaders - Open to suggestions and ideas, Committed to making a difference, and improving processes and software/systems products making the company and groups more efficient!

Managed, architected, and developed major software development products (Procurement Compliance Project (PCA) and eSpector). Both completed within budget and timeline constraints. Risk Analysis, Lessons Learned/Project Closure, Deployment, and Post Go-Live Support completed as well.

Helped introduce and implement PMO!
Pros
Great People, Interesting Projects, Challenging Work
Cons
Reorganization caused minor disruption in 2007
Good company
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2016
Good Company to work for. good work life balance. People were helpful and good to work with. Management was easy to get along with
Great people to work with, but the company has changed for the negative
Security Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2016
KBR was once a company full of life long careers of more than 30 years. The recent CEO has attempted to create a lean and focused core, but has striped the company of it's valuable employees with lay offs. No raises and promotions in the last two years for those who remain, and many hard working employees have been replaced by cheaper outsourced workers in Chennai, India this year. Meanwhile, this CEO continues to enjoy multi-million dollar bonuses while the stocks continue to fall.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
No longer a great company to work for.
iron worker
Scaffold Builder (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXFebruary 1, 2016
Raise, place, and unite iron or steel girders, columns, and other structural members to form completed structures or structural frameworks. May erect metal storage tanks and assemble prefabricated metal buildings.
Used to be a different company
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2016
There is a lack of clear direction from executive management. The solid legacies of M.W. Kellogg and Brown & Root are no longer enough to stand on. KBR is struggling "to deliver" the same level of service. Management is out of touch, and they don't seem to care what's going on at the project level. Benefits have been cut recently too. I hope KBR can turn things around because there are some really spectacular individuals here, but I haven't seen any changes recently that make a difference - just flippant noise from executive management.
very nice place to work for
Pipe Fitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2016
a typical day for me was a long one usually. I have learned so much from KBR about how the oil industry works along with various machines and tools i never even knew existed. Management was pretty decent except for some who would give people they liked better work for the day depending on how much they liked them. but otherwise really great management. the hardest part of the job was being outside in 100 degree weather wearing full coveralls, hard hat and gloves all day on some days. The most enjoyable part was the coworkers which made the days enjoyable and go by faster.
Pros
great enviornment
Cons
sometimes working in a hot enviornment
If you like high-paying, boring jobs with little room for advancement, this one is for you.
Sr. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2016
Quite possibly the most boring job I've held in my career. The work there occurs at a snail's pace and is essentially completely dedicated to how much money they can get out of the client either by extending job durations, adding people on and running them through overtime to bill more, and even charging the client for WiFi! Scrounge daily for a charge code and wait around for co-workers to get back to you.
Pros
The pay was too much for people that are relatively unqualified and undriven
Cons
Co-workers and managers did not care one bit about successful execution of team deliverables
Review Details
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  La Grange, TXNovember 26, 2015
Fun work plave with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow to develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The day started to get crowded as the company assigned more work in a day. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Great teamwork and strong leadership skills from managers
IT Security Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2016
The office building is in the heart of downtown Houston, Texas and the work environment is steady and busy when you get into work. The people in the office are very respectful and kind when we pass each other in the hall. After I log into the computer and check my emails, I begin checking on tickets and resolve any pending and new tickets that are in the department's queue. I have learned how to create a less stressful environment, during challenging assignments and create a good cohesive team with open communication as the base. I was very thankful that all of the managers that I was under, all were knowledgeable and willing to train anyone who asked for assistance. All of my coworkers are a great help to one another and are willing to assist when new challenges occur. The hardest part of my job is to create procedure to reduce the communication barrier from other people from other nations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the coworkers that I had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Great lunch and learn meetings
Cons
Healthcare and health benefits
Safe place to work
electrician (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 12, 2016
A safe place to work, we got the job done, great staff, and management. I would love to work for them again. I got all the overtime I wanted, great benefits including 401. I really enjoyed that.
Friendly workers and recognized for your skills.
SENIOR TECHNICAL ADVISER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 31, 2016
One of the best engineering consulting firm. Very systematic work procedures. Easy to communicate with the management.
Pros
Encouragement for continuing education and training.
Cons
Not mention worthy.
Company needs better management
Sr. Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAJune 10, 2016
Company did a poor job of bidding our contract. Engineering was extremely slow. Management did not adequately communicate with middle management. Management did not work well with sub-contractors. Problems retaining craftspersons.

Company had excellent pay and good benefits. People I worked with were very nice and friendly and tried to do a good job.

Despite the problems I enjoyed working for this company
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management, no loyalities to employees, lack of communication
Always something new
BOILERMAKER/TOOL ROOM (Former Employee) –  Jessup GAJune 12, 2016
Work often 7 days a week 12 hours a day. I have learned so much from the older guys that have been working for 20+ years short cuts to make the job easier in a safe way. On shutdowns you most likely will be working on something you have never worked on, on a boiler. Foremans know their stuff and GF's you can joke with that make the day go by. You can get in a routine with working long hours.
Pros
Lunches that they sometimes provide
Cons
Shutdown benefits you can only get when you are working
ok company
Technical Advisor- Piping Stress (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2016
typical day at work ok company
what you learned making salary
your co-worker co-worker good
the hardest part of the job schedule pressure
the most enjoyable part of the job don't know
job security, fun place to work, great people
General Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ghent, KYAugust 25, 2015
KBR is a great company to work for. There are a few issues that most supervisors have to deal with but job security always wins the battle. KBR has been known to be kicked out of projects and leave their people jobless but fortunate for me, that hasn't happened to me. Benefits are available but not the best. But overall, my moral stays positive,,,as its does ay any job that I supervise. Even though KBR isn't a great paying company, people stay with the company because of their job security.
Pros
great people, job security, advancement opportunities, benefits for all, safety is their #1 priority!!
Cons
benefits not the best, always worried about the next project

4.2