For more than 20 years, KIDS DISCOVER has been exposing kids to all the wonders in the world—science, space, nature, history and culture—with beautiful, easy-to-understand print and digital content. KIDS DISCOVER, winner of the Parents’ Choice Gold Award, the EdPress Golden Lamp Award and the AEP Distinguished Achievement Award, inspires and instills a love of reading and learning in kids while giving them an all-important edge in school and in life.
From the recent launch of our KIDS DISCOVER SPACE iPad app to our online store, social media campaigns and much more, we see modern technologies as crucial to our business' future. And, right now, we're looking for an imaginative and highly-skilled senior web developer to join our fun and creative team in Midtown Manhattan. While we're a collaborative group, we're looking for someone who's equally self-directed and can contribute new ways to move our company forward using technology.
- Perform general daily website maintenance tasks.
- Add and modify back-end website functionality developed in WordPress.
- Add and modify back-end website functionality developed in Magento.
- Add and modify front-end website functionality.
- Convert complete page layouts and individual design elements provided by graphic designers into fully-functioning web technologies.
- Re-factor existing front- and back-end code for performance optimizations.
- Provide strategies to implement and leverage technologies that further KIDS DISCOVER's immediate and long-term business goals.
- 1–3 years minimum experience professionally developing websites.
- Extensive experience programming with PHP.
- In-depth familiarity with WordPress.
- Strong knowledge of SQL.
- Familiarity with MySQL, Apache and Linux.
- Experience with Magento a plus.
- Experience with WordPress caching and optimization a plus.
- Experience with mobile app development a plus.
- Experience developing with the Facebook API (or other social media APIs) a plus.
- Experience with Git or other version control systems a plus.
This position's salary is dependent on experience but competitive with the New York City region. Compensation includes full medical coverage with no employee contribution and two weeks of vacation, plus a third week off between Christmas and New Year’s.
To apply for this job, please submit your resumé, cover letter, PHP code sample (of no less than 50 lines) and an HTML code sample (of no less than 50 lines) in an email with the subject, “Senior Web Developer."