Located in sunny Tri-Cities, WA, Kadlec Regional Medical Center is a progressive 270-bed, nationally recognized, regional medical center. Kadlec is the premiere choice for customer service excellence, providing healthcare to the region by combining cutting-edge technology and equipment with evidence-based, patient focused care. A matter of fact, Kadlec Regional Medical Center is one of only thirteen hospitals worldwide, and the first in Washington state, to achieve Planetree Designated status!
Kadlec Regional Medical Center is currently recruiting for our next Histology Technician.
Purpose of Position: Under the direction of the Histology Supervisor performs histological
procedures in the preparation of tissue specimens for gross and microscopic examination and
performs related duties as assigned.
Education: Requires completion of a certified histology program which is approved by the
American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or AA degree in biology or chemistry and
eligible as defined by ASCP to sit for the HT exam.
Experience: Minimum of one year experience in a histology laboratory.
Licensure/Credentials: Requires ASCP certification as a histology technician, or eligibility to
take the HT exam or certification eligible.
Essential Job Functions
1. Cuts, stains, mounts, and studies specimens of human tissue to provide data on functioning of tissues and organs, causes and/or progress of disease following established standards and practices.
2. Plans and organizes work duties to accomplish daily objectives.
3. Embeds processed specimens in paraffin to become solid blocks, then cuts thin sections with microtome knife; places thin tissue section on a microscopic glass slide.
4. Stains the prepared slides with dyes and solutions following prescribed department procedure.
5. Coverslips the slides by affixing a piece of thin glass onto the glass slides which has the stained tissue section on it following department procedure.
6. Performs special stains such as ordered by pathologists.
7. Participates in maintaining a Quality Assurance program for the histology department.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Abilities
1. Knowledge of histology procedures and techniques and principles of histology tests.
2. Knowledge of histology equipment, instruments, and chemicals used in histology procedures.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology and basic mathematics.
4. Knowledge of health and safety regulations relating to handling human specimens and toxic chemicals.
5. Knowledge of record-keeping, numerical logging, and filing systems.
6. Ability to understand complex written and oral instructions and to understand and apply quality standards and controls.
7. Ability to prepare tissue specimens for microscopic examination and to perform special stains.
8. Ability to maintain accurate records and filing systems.
9. Ability to use and maintain a variety of laboratory instruments and equipment.
10. Ability to use a computer.
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality in all Medical Center business.
For more information or to apply, please visit www.kadlec.org