Kaiser Permanente
2,222 reviews

Kaiser Permanente United States Employee Reviews

Abusive, opportunistic
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Clackamas, ORApril 11, 2015
Pros: good benefits, good pay
Cons: cramped environment, inadequate staff, detached management, unrealistic work load requiring corners be cut, decision directly affecting staff made without input from staff - often without warning of changes, lack of support, understanding and communication from management
Start work with too few staff & have no input as the workload increases throughout the day. Communication is lacking at every level. The worst management I've seen in 28 years of hospital work. Co-workers are stressed and have little time to do more than focus on completing their own tasks. Hardest part is lack of support from management: buying staff pizza is not a good substitute for adequate staffing, considerate scheduling, allowing staff input into decisions which directly affect them, having adequate work space ... . The appreciation shown by patients was the only rewarding part of this job.
Great place to work, very involved in the community
Finance Analyst et al (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2015
Pros: great Healthcare benefit
Cons: too many layoffs
Great place to work, very involved in the community, they live their mission.
Training program available to employees is exceptional, if one takes advantage of this incentive, promotion is attainable as the company believes in promoting from within!
Focus on Health and Activity is awesome! Employees are provided with free exercise/workouts/boot-camps from renowned professionals.
Radiologic technologist (Current Employee), Clackamas, ORApril 10, 2015
I have really enjoyed working at Kaiser, the pay benefits and co-workers are all top notch. I would recommend to anyone I know that it is a great place to work.
Kaiser is a very one side place to work. If you are benefiting them and there motives.
Pediatric Nurse/ Primary Care (Current Employee), Cumming, GAApril 10, 2015
Pros: funding for education
Cons: hard time to schedule time off and never getting full lunch
My day at work is filled with lots of responsibilities I did all immunization ,lab testing, medication administration,patient education, scheduling, procedures with Doctor in both Primary and pediatric setting.

I learned to importance of patient needs along with family needs, as well as how to obtain trust with patients, family members and coworkers.

Management well my direct nurse manager was fair and would work with you, thought HR is a different story

Hardest part of my job working with different Dr's all the time with different needs , routines and various needs and keeping then running on time with their schedule.

Patient care I love interacting with the patients
Great place to work with a lot of benefits and wonderful work environment. Rewarded for excellence of work.
Primary Care, Pain Management (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 9, 2015
Great benefits, work environment, and continuing education. Regular hours consistent, and overtime available if desired. Proud of the accomplishments I achieved there. Rewarded regularly for excellence of work.
Kaiser Permanente Extern Experience
Extern (Former Employee), Pinole, CAApril 9, 2015
I am lucky to be chosen one of the Pharmacy Technician Ex tern at Kaiser Permanente Pinole Ca. I have learned a lot of things from my everyday task. Returning to stock and compounding is the most enjoyable part of my ex tern because i get to be familiarize with the generic and brand of medicines. The management and co-workers are very accommodating in showing things around the pharmacy. My over all experience in Kaiser is the best. They just didn't give me the chance to learn a lot but I gained friends as well.
Hospice Clerk (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great Medical and Dental benefits
Kaiser has many job opportunities available at any time. The benefits are excellent. Not only are the medical/dental benefits great they also encourage a healthy lifestyle including a work and lifestyle balance.
Great working for a company with a mission. Currently undergoing changes.
Senior Communications Consultant (Current Employee), Oakland, CAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Good people, great benefits, mission-driven.
Cons: Bureaucracy, focus on consensus building can slow things down to a glacial pace.
At KP, I've worked with some of the kindest, smartest, funniest people I know. During our department's "golden age," growth was available for anyone. I asked for more responsibility, more variety, stretch assignments, and I got them. Really grew in my capabilities and worked on some pretty cool projects.

They recently underwent a re-org, and things have changed significantly, which is unfortunate. They are still good people, but the approach and management is markedly different. Tighter supervision than before. Less freedom, even for high performers.

Great benefits. Decent pay (probably competitive for a nonprofit). Advancing can be tricky. But the place is massive, so a lot depends on what department you are in.
Difficult to balance job work and life.
Senior Financial Analyst, Capital Project (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Always up date accounting and financial information.
Cons: Yearround over time reduced my family life quality.
We had a lot of meeting on weekly basis. Large amount of data entries and over time. Many workers had health issues and staff turn over rate is high. I have to leave the job due to average over twenty hours weekly over time all year around cost many family issues.
Great Opportunity
Area Manager (Former Employee), Oakland, CAApril 8, 2015
Pros: Great Company
Cons: Work Life balance
A work day at KAiser for leadership is never 8 hours a day or 5 days a week. Work life balance is always a challenge to overcome. The people that work there are wonderful. Having the chance to make a difference daily is the draw. It makes the job exciting and worthwhile.
Military style culture and management
physician assistant (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 8, 2015
Pros: higher than usual pay
Cons: Draconian work place; you are to be seen and not heard
Pretty much they do what ever they want because they are so large. The union makes most people that work there lazy and obstructive.
They tend to hire aggressive people who do not care about the patients, but that are good at IT. Work at Kaiser for the benefits and that is it. The medicine is not there.
externship
Externship (Former Employee), Brighton, COApril 7, 2015
Three weeks where I practice the skills I obtained though the phlebotomy program I completed, such drawing blood on children and adults, patient care, labeling, and PKGs. was great experience and I would recommend doing your externship here
Great Culture
Human Resources Administrative Specialist IV (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAApril 6, 2015
Great place to work. I recommend Kaiser Permanente. Great culture, and good opportunities and amazing benefits. Once you are an employee many people do not leave which makes it hard to get it.
Account Administrative Rep (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 6, 2015
Pros: Convient to get to work and love the fact that we could sit and stand to work
Cons: sometiems had to work until 7:00 pm
I loved work for Kaiser the management was great to work always stayed busy and they were very flexible with schedule. The work was very challenging but you always had support for help and for any questions or concerns that a Rep Might have. If I ever get the opportunity to go back i will definitely go back.
Great company to work for
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Petaluma, CAApril 4, 2015
Have been working for Kaiser for 12 years. Most of the people I work with are very hard working and dedicated to their job. All the MD's and clinicians are great! I'm very happy and proud to work for Kaiser
Over worked
Psychotherapist (Current Employee), Oakland, CAApril 4, 2015
Pros: Location
Cons: Over worked
Working at kaiser has opened my eyes to the healthcare corporate industry regarding high level healthcare Kaiser is no different when it comes to big profit. CEO and MD makes lots if income while our union has been in talks with Kaiser for the past 4 years. It's amazing to me how separated and disingenuous things can be it's a climate that's difficult to work in with the politics. Our clinic is under staffed not the best working conditions most of the therapist have to share offices. Our manager over the past not sure how many years has tried to get adequate office space for groups and for therapist. We are booked solid with too many clients who need intensive services case management and so many more services. Sometimes as a therapist I feel demoralized and disrespected and under appreciated. Times are changing and from my perspective not for the best. If you're a therapist think outside the box as a MFT or a LCSW please think outside the box and take the time to think about what your career goals are and the value of being a therapist . If you like being in a pressure cooker job or a job that pulls everything out of you then go work for Kaiser. But I'm telling you think about your emotional well-being and what you may've to give up to work in a pressure cooker.
Productive company to work for with opportunities for growth
Patient Service Representative/Receptionist (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAApril 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at Kaiser Permanente very much. My co-workers become a family to me, the company provided fantastic benefits,full benefits for a 20 hours position! I never worked weekends, typically my schedule was 8am-5pm. Kaiser Permanente supported healthy living and a work-life balance as well as provided opportunities for growth with education assistance. I loved Kaiser Permanente.
All of the businesses I worked at were great places to work for.
Home Care Service Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 2, 2015
Pros: NA
Cons: NA
Very organized.
Administrative work.
Respected management.
Team work is important.
Meeting dead lines.
Enjoyed learning new skills & working well with co-workers.
Kaiser Volunteer
Volunteer - Pediatrics Department (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 2, 2015
Typical Day: working with the children by entertaining them with games, books, coloring and other items to distract them from their stay at the hospital. Restocked medical supplies, as well as cleaned and disinfected the toys and the playroom environment.

What Did I Learn: HIPPA laws, working with children in a hospital environment

Management/Co-Workers: Great to work for/with

Hardest Part: N/A

Enjoyable Part: Everything about the job. I loved working with the kids and making them laugh and forget about being in the hospital.
Unfair practices
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Fontana, CAApril 1, 2015
Pros: Health benefits
Cons: Labor practices
I always thought working at Kaiser would be the best job in the world. I was wrong!... at least in regards to the department and location that I worked at. Management didn't bother to train me at all but expected so much. I worked super hard and that was not acknowledged. They allowed some doctors to treat me unprofessionally without any consequences. They showed favoritism constantly and only treated those nicely who were not willing to question anything and stay quiet about everything. As much effort as I put into working hard, being nice and getting along with everyone, if certain doctors don't like you, it is all useless. One of the worst things that I experienced there was their unfair hiring and labor practices. They go through the process of "equal opportunity" practices but they decide before all the interviews who they want to hire, mostly people being referred by friends/family. I also saw how bad they treated a lot of the medical assistants and other workers and it was completely unjustified. It created a difficult working environment.

Again, I cannot state that this is true for the whole company but it is definitly true for the department that I worked at.

About Kaiser Permanente

OVERVIEW America’s leading not-for-profit health plan, Kaiser Permanente serves more than 9 million people from 37 hospitals – Read more

Kaiser Permanente Salaries