Kaiser Permanente
2,224 reviews

Kaiser Permanente United States Employee Reviews

Kaiser Volunteer
Volunteer - Pediatrics Department (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 2, 2015
Typical Day: working with the children by entertaining them with games, books, coloring and other items to distract them from their stay at the hospital. Restocked medical supplies, as well as cleaned and disinfected the toys and the playroom environment.

What Did I Learn: HIPPA laws, working with children in a hospital environment

Management/Co-Workers: Great to work for/with

Hardest Part: N/A

Enjoyable Part: Everything about the job. I loved working with the kids and making them laugh and forget about being in the hospital.
Unfair practices
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Fontana, CAApril 1, 2015
Pros: Health benefits
Cons: Labor practices
I always thought working at Kaiser would be the best job in the world. I was wrong!... at least in regards to the department and location that I worked at. Management didn't bother to train me at all but expected so much. I worked super hard and that was not acknowledged. They allowed some doctors to treat me unprofessionally without any consequences. They showed favoritism constantly and only treated those nicely who were not willing to question anything and stay quiet about everything. As much effort as I put into working hard, being nice and getting along with everyone, if certain doctors don't like you, it is all useless. One of the worst things that I experienced there was their unfair hiring and labor practices. They go through the process of "equal opportunity" practices but they decide before all the interviews who they want to hire, mostly people being referred by friends/family. I also saw how bad they treated a lot of the medical assistants and other workers and it was completely unjustified. It created a difficult working environment.

Again, I cannot state that this is true for the whole company but it is definitly true for the department that I worked at.
Workplace Flow
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 1, 2015
Pros: Work hours and direct patient contact
Cons: A tight working environment
Type and fill prescription for patients waiting and those that called in their meds. Send prescription offsite for delivery next day. Contact ADAP if their were any problems processing meds. Contact doctors for refills authorization.
Amazing place to work with tremendous growth opportunities.
Pharmacy Accountant (Former Employee), pasadena caMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Amazing office culture; Cross training with different account divisions
Cons: commute
- Account reconciliations
- Query and trend Analysis
- Budget analysis
- Inventory reconciliations
Benefits Associate (Former Employee), Alameda, CAMarch 31, 2015
Taking calls from Kaiser employees regarding their health benefits.
I learned the different aspect on how employees benefits worked.
Management on hands.
Co-workers were great.
Making sure the calls in the queue were low.
The Challenge.
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDMarch 31, 2015
good place to learn; friendly management; challenging job; good perks; helping to co-workers;the most enjoyable part of the job
Case Manager (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Great culture and benefits
Cons: Very competitive and work strenous.
If I could have stayed there I would have. Kaiser is a great place to work. I enjoyed their culture and management team. They had health initiatives that showed that they cared about their employees. Kaiser was also flexible around doctor visit, vacations and overall time of leading to a great work life balance.
I loved working at Kaiser
Service Unit Manager (Former Employee), Vacaville, CAMarch 30, 2015
Day at work is busy and never the same day twice. I learned a lot about unions and union activity. My co-workers were hardworking. The hardest part about the job was leaving it. The benefits are great.
Quite Place
Staff Assistant (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: It was a job
Cons: to big
The HR center in Alameda was very different than the Oakland office. It was more employees. Sometimes the floor would be dirty.
Great benefits
RN (Former Employee), GeorgiaMarch 27, 2015
Top heavy in administration, not enough workers. Work life balance is good for union represented employee's, not so much for salaried workers. Otherwise a decent place to work.
Radiology
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), LargoMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Salary/hourly rate
Cons: Managment
Not at all impressed with the culture/work environment in the Radiology department.
Inadequate staffing
Area too small to accommodate scheduled patients
Add-ons daily
No nursing leadership
I expect more from a company who claims to be #1 in so many areas as it relates to healthcare.
great place to work for educational advancement
RN II (Former Employee), Tucker, GAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: not enough staff for required tasks
can be overwhelming at times but a fun place to work. encourages staff to take advantage of educational advantages available but does not provide employment opportunities once staff has completed their studies.
For those that are sonographers - it's a sweat shop.
traveling sonographer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: You'll learn to scan faster! AND you'll learn the true meaning of a new word - "productivity".
Cons: High stress, too much estrogen/gossiping/cattiness/insecurity
I was sent here by a staffing agency, without realizing i was replacing two techs they had been "let go" because they didn't "cut it". Kaiser interviews well over the phone, and they like to say "it's a fast paced environment". Well, let's just say THAT is like saying "Hitler was a tad aggressive with his ideas."

Typical day:

Your schedule is 16 patients (every 30 mins.) per 8 hour day, per tech. Each exam must be performed within 20 mins. or less. The extra 10 mins, is used inputting your worksheets in a new computer system, plus showing your work to a rad. Sometimes you have to stand in line for this. Thus, there goes your 10 mins. Your schedule will also include 3-4 high risk OB exams daily including fingers, toes, aorta/renal etc. Twins? 20 mins. each. Also, if you do a transvag. exam, you have to also include the time it takes to return the probe to the Cidex room, with paper work to fill out with each of these type of exams.

There are no morning or afternoon breaks. These are included in your lunch hour. You are not allowed to have food or beverages (not even bottled water) in your room. Your room is sometimes randomly inspected sometimes by admin. for these items. If you are caught? You will be reprimanded.

If you are 5+ mins. late to your room, depending on who's in charge, there is a post-it note publicly placed on the managers door with your name on it. If you're doing ER/inpatients, usually, when you walk in the door - before your start time? Your inpatient is already in the room.

Your mistakes are openly discussed/criticized by the mainly – more... female staff from the clerk/assistant all the way to management. By the time you walk out of your room after a screw up, yeah.. everyone knows about it. And THEN you have to go to management to discuss it.

There are techs like myself that are able to do 16 patients in a day. But not in such a regimented environment that basically is a shoulder injury or burnout situation waiting to happen.

I have also seen a tech that had a RIGHT arm problem that might require surgery due to high/volume repetition scanning. Kaiser was so compassionate? They re-arranged the room so that the tech could scan with her LEFT hand instead.

The environment:

Hostile. If you don't cut it, those females will tear you limb from limb verbally. It's almost as if some of them can't wait for someone to screw up that day.

Those that don't cut it, have not only to deal with the embarrassment of "not cutting it", they have to be let go so that some one can "hurry up" and replace them. There are one or two techs there that are actually compassionate, and encouraging. But when they have their days off, you are on your own.

The evening shift techs are far more relaxed/compassionate than that day shift crew. And you also have the option of working in satellite areas. Which would mean less heat - but same scheduling. – less
Excellent pay and benefits- hard to balance work/life
Hospital Director (Current Employee), Northern CaliforniaMarch 26, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: long hours, can be very stressful
At a manager or above level one must be diligent to protect the work life balance. The culture is to be always on, always available and responsive.
Great medical, dental and optical benefits, great pay.
Kaiser Permanente
Critical Care Pharmacist (Current Employee), Roseville, CAMarch 26, 2015
Daily rounds in AM with multi-disciplinary team. Great and challenging hospital to work at. Learn about other practices, including dietary, respiratory, social work. Difficulty in keeping up on progress of 20 pts / day. But very rewarding when pt transfers out of the unit.
Kaiser Permanente was and is great company
IT Manager and IT Staff (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Great healthcare benefits and good home/work balance
Cons: Going through organizational restructuring and, unfortunately, job eliminations
Kaiser Permanente is a good company to work for but to what degree depends on which region you work. Kaiser in California is a dominate player in the healthcare and very profitable which translate that you'll have more opportunities for advancement and pay increases. For the other Kaiser regions, the healthcare terrain is very different, competition is fierce and not as profitable as CA. You'll still get great healthcare benefits but the pay increases over the past few years met cost of living increases.

Overall Kaiser is one of the top tier of companies you'll want to join if you want stability and have good work/home balance.
I do enjoy clinical research. It's completely different from anything I've ever done before.
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Duluth, GAMarch 25, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I interact with the patients. I have an excellent relationship with the patients in my studies. I learn something every day about the EMC system we work with.
Busy, coordinated, customer services
Receptionist (Current Employee), Lamc- sunset kaiserMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Customer satisfaction
Cons: on -call you receive no health benefits
Schedules members appointments, Assistant with member concerns. providing customer care. Co workers are ok. The hardest part is I've been on a call status for 2 years and being on-call comes with no health benefits.
Great company
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 24, 2015
Kaiser as employee and patient is an outstanding place to be. They have the best benefits and as worker you have all the tools you need to provide the best medical care.
Great learning experience hard work
Outpatient Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Antioch, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: hardworking, friendly enviornment, team work
Cons: leaving
Great work environment, fast paced, everyone put in 100%+, leaving a place where I loved working was the hardest, I love being a pharmacy technician and being a part of a team.

About Kaiser Permanente

OVERVIEW America’s leading not-for-profit health plan, Kaiser Permanente serves more than 9 million people from 37 hospitals – Read more

Kaiser Permanente Salaries