Kaleida Health Employee Reviews

Not a good experience
Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Buffalo NYOctober 21, 2012
I was hired and worked @ Millard Fillmore Gates before it closed. I found a lot of the staff to be lazy, rude and only willing to do what they believed was in the realm of their own self made job descriptions. Because it was union, the "old-timers" had a real sense of entitlement just because of seniority. Human Resources uses a private firm to do record checks, and my record check was botched so badly I had to do all this running around and getting finger printed just to prove I wasn't the person they said I was..and the name and birth-date did not even match!!! From the very beginning until the day I was bumped from my position by a senior employee with NO pharmacy experience, it was a nightmare. I would not recommend this employer to ANYONE who is truly dedicated to their profession and wants a pleasant and fair work environment...
Pros
????
Cons
see above comment
Great rapport with physicians, nursing and ancillary staff to provide best possible care.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 1, 2015
Working within a team to provide the best possible care from every angle of incoming emergencies, surgeries through recovery and rehabilitation opportunities. Provide resources for successful progression for the patient as he/she moves through their hospital stay.

Coworkers that team together to help one another manage significant workloads. Sharing knowledge with others through teaching and/or mentoring new employees, residents and nursing.

Helping families and patients with simple laymen's explanations that help them to make decisions regarding their loved one.
Pros
Feeling at the end of each day that you've really contributed something important.
Cons
People are not always prepared for life and death situations.
Good Benefits. Terrible training
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie CountyOctober 25, 2015
As a seasoned nurse I can see that the right candidate can thrive here. Very good pay and benefits. The general workplace culture is terrible. The training I received was scattered. I was placed with two different preceptors who were dealing with massive personal problems who should have been on personal leave. There was little follow up from my manager in regards to my training. The documentation was difficult to learn when not given the proper training. There were a lot of very stressed people employed there. Very little work/life balance. If you get proper training and are single with no children then this job is great. There is a lot of on call responsibility and weekend shifts expected.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor training, lots of paperwork, no time for breaks, stressful.
A very productive workplace
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 5, 2013
A typical day at work consists of a high volume or orders being processed and well as medication requests. I have learned that no matter how much you try to perfect the system and the process, the system will never be 100% efficient. Management tries there best to help accommodate the needs of the workers and if patients and staff that it services. My co-workers are very intelligent and helpful people who are great at doing their jobs. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the nursing staff because sometimes they cause us to do double and triple the work because of the negligence. The most enjoyable part about my job is knowing the I am apart of the process that helps patients. I am not a direct care giver, but I am apart of their healing process.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Poor work environment
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 24, 2014
Many employees lacked necessary empathy training for working with patients. A better training program and removal of uncompassionate nursing staff would have made this job much better for those that lived at the facility. Fellow staff members were lazy, abusive to patients, rude, formed cliques which resulting in lots of fights, and would do the bare minimum whenever they could. It was very difficult to continue working at this job with such poor administration and management staff working over even poorer staff members. I would never work for that company ever again. I loved working with the children at the facility, they were a pure joy to be around, but working in such a negative environment was emotionally and physically draining.
Patient registration
Patient Registration E.R / Trainer (Former Employee) –  buffalo, nyMay 9, 2014
register patients obtaining demographics and insurance information for emergency room visits and entering it into the computer system. I learned several computer systems. Co-workers are very (funny) two faced and back stabbing they form cliques and are very catty smile in your face and talk nasty the minute you are out of ear shot the managment in the department was horrible ( she has since been terminated) however I hear it isnt much better now either the pay is great and the benefits are as well the job was not hard and the patients were the best part of the position. The staff was very rude to the patients and very cold not what you would expect
Pros
overtime unlimited
Cons
management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 20, 2013
I learn how to be better on customer service skillks and communication with visitors, employees and patients. working at Buffalo General Hospital was like family oriented and friendly. My co-workers was great on working as a team and on same page at any situation. After getting to know patients & theirs family members than finding out about that patient pass away was the hardest part because they came like family to me. The most enjoyable of the Job making Patients and Visitor laugh and putting smile on their faces and also making them welcome.I been trying to get back working for kaleida again and wish could return back working for them because this was the best job I ever had.
Thoroghly enjoyed my employment at Kaleida Health.
Patient Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 31, 2013
Excellent organization to work for. Great oppurtunities to excel and grow and to interact with patients and staff.

My customer service skills, computer skills and quallity assurance skills became stronger with each oppurtunity that was offered to me.

The hardest part of the job was multi tasking and giving patients undevided attention, and as my skills increased I was able to master that aspect of the positions.

The most enjoyable part of my career was dealing one on one with patients and giving them the best experience during their appointments.
Needs a lot of Sensitivity & Diversity Training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 20, 2012
Very productive days, engaged with caring co-workers but management was distant and disconnected. Spent too much time de-valuing employees rathern empowering & encouraging employees. Very disappointed in the lack of respect and concern for fellow employees from the management team down in a "healthcare" atmosphere. I'm sure patient satisfaction & care is constantly compromised in the healthcare industry. So very disappointed being a Administrative Professional "Caring" is a natural instinct!
Pros
helping someone in need
Cons
not afforded the opportunity

Comment – December 24, 2012

Views are very correct in regards to management.

Feel as if they have overlooked areas that required planning when merging two sites. Needed more input.
Lower management. (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 7, 2012
Hectic. & stressful place. Management are not helpful in many ways. Co-workers were great however some need to be evaluated & released. Some doctors rude and act like kids. Talk down to people & it seems to be ok. Why is this allowed? Did enjoy helping and sharing. Seems Kaleida cares only about being Corporate not about employees. Talk both sides of the fence.Was better place to work before all the new campus.
Pros
co-workers who still care about patients.
Cons
shift changes. no thought of employees and how things effect them.
I rate this company overall good pt care and it help's me to take care of my two children
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 2, 2013
My typical day at work would be helping patient's and their family.I have learned people just need love and kindness overall.My management team here is patient care to the highest degree. My co-workers usually are working as a team and when their is a breakdown I know to go to my manager. The hardest part of my job is to keep reminding myself not to sweat the small stuff. the most enjoyable part of my job is me being myself and helping people who appreciate my efforts and work.
Pros
making the income i make as a sec...
Cons
i don't know of any right know
Productive and there is room to grow within the company
File Clerk/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 26, 2012
Working in mailroom as a mail clerk , duties are sorting and delivering mail to various departments in the hospital. Worked as a Unit Secretary in the Labor and Delivery Unit handle daily calls and department inquiries. Provide a wide variety of administrative and staff support services for management. Independently researched a wide variety of information requests and analyzed trends. Maintain department files. The hardest part of the job is knowing that there are terminally ill patients and you want to do more to help them.
Highpointe is not a good place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  HighpointeApril 13, 2015
Many of the people that work there are trying to leave because of the working conditions. It is one star according to standards, and it is run poorly. The hardest part of the job is co workers, trying to make it through the shift is difficult in a threatening environment. Its a surprise that it is part of Kaleida! The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the patients, but Highpointe needs an overhaul.

It is so hard to stay there they mandated that if you start there you have to be there for two years before you post out.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Management and staffing
It was a pretty good place to work
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 19, 2013
Each day, I would arrive at work at 10:00am to start the part-time shift of making deliveries to various hospital floors and buildings and transporting patients from one floor to another. I learned my way around, going to every floor in the 18-story hospital. Management was pretty good. I was the youngest volunteer there at 18. The hardest part of the job was having to bring patients from the 16th floor all the way down to the main lobby when they were being discharged. The most enjoyable part was getting holidays off.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Workpace satisfaction
RN (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYNovember 24, 2012
Kaleida Health is a union dominated facility. The major problem is that management is extremely weak, and human resources department does not stand up to the union. I was an employee who was affected by the consolidation of hospitals. The union handled the consolidation poorly as well as the human resources department. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Employee seniority always reigns, and unfortunately more competent, experienced employees are losing jobs or being turned away.
Cons
union
Continue to learn
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 15, 2015
A typical day at Kaleida was a fast pace, thinking on your feet experience. I learned that with the help of your co-workers you can get the job done. Some Management will be more than willing to help out. I learned so much from my fellow co-workers and they were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was being short staff. The best part of the job was when there were enough staff things ran smoothly.
Pros
I was able to advance in my career with the help of Kaleida Health
Cons
short staffing, no breaks
Kaleida Experience
patient service Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 21, 2014
My job is a union work workplace, which is enjoyable, along with my coworkers who some I have been with over 10 years or more. We consider ourselves as a family.
My one supervisor has been with me since I started this job and I have learned so much from her in the years we have shared together.
My job can be tedious at times but overall it is a worth while experience.
Pros
health care package, job location and building
Cons
further advancement within the company
It's the employees' that make or break the job. Depends on which facitily you work at.
Home Care SN (Current Employee) –  NiagaraMay 20, 2012
I came to home care about a year ago. It's a very clicky environment with lots of gossip. If you mesh well with their employees here of many years you will do well. My recommendation is to get signed off as quickly as possible and get out into the field. The Grass is not greener on this side on the mountain.
Pros
great hourly wage, daytime hours
Cons
infested homes, weather conditions, traffic, plenty of documentation
Overall good.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 6, 2015
I have worked for Kaleida Health for 23years. It has given me many opportunities in my nursing career. It has its ups & downs as an organization through the years. the current Management Team is improving the overall "Caring" attitude of the environment which was much needed.

I work with a awesome team of co-workers and we help each other out throughout our day. Our immediate Manager is always excessible and supportive.
Pros
Pay. Benefits. Co-workers
Cons
Distance from home
BUSY
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 6, 2014
CLEAN WORK AREA, DUMP HIPPA BIN, ANSWER PHONES, STUFF CHARTS, COPY CHARTS FOR DISCHARGES, DIRECT VISITORS TO WHERE THEY SHOULD BE, ADDRESS NURSES AND DOCTORS, RUN ERRANDS, TAKE OFF ORDERS, CALL CONSULTS, THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS NOT HAVING INFORMATION PASSED TO ME REGARDING PATIENTS OR PHONE CALLS, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE JOB IS SEEING THE SMILES ON PATIENT FACES WHEN YOU DO SOMETHING FOR THEM OR THEIR FAMILIES
Pros
satisfaction
Cons
not feeling productive