Kaleidoscope Employee Reviews

Respectful and diverse workplace with great job and team cultures
Peer Education Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 21, 2015
Kaleidoscope is a small program within the overall Office of Multicultural Affairs at UNC Greensboro with the goal of educating others and facilitating dialogue about issues of diversity and social justice. The group consists of around 10 student employees, as well as an intern and two supervisors, one of whom is a graduate student and the other of whom is a full-time employee of the Office. We conduct weekly to bi-weekly meetings where we learn and practice our public speaking and dialogue facilitation skills, knowledge on topics of diversity and social justice, and abilities to work as a team.

Our general duties involve going into classrooms, residence halls, student organizations, and other university organizations and spaces and conducting interactive diversity-related programs and facilitate dialogue around difficult topics within diversity and social justice. We work in pairs to help students gain the most from the experience. We often use set pre-made facilitations, but we are also given the opportunity to create our own and lead forums of our own creation.

From this, I learned valuable public speaking, programming design and implementation, teamwork, and conflict resolution skills. Working in the Kaleidoscope program is excellent for learning about issues of diversity and how to educate others about them, and to get valuable experience with working in teams and giving and receiving constructive feedback.
Pros
Free education around topics of diversity and social justice, flexible hours, close-knit and fun work culture, great training for working by yourself and with others
Cons
Not enough hours - not enough work/compensation to be able to support yourself
Mom and pop specialty retail store.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 7, 2013
This job was a unique experience in a unique environment. A typical day at Kaleidoscope would be selling body jewelry, smoking accessories, clothing and more. Coworkers are fun, generally, but serious micromanaging issues that plague most mom and pop shops is rampant here. Don't expect wages you would from a corporate shop, or the opportunities for job advancement. This is a job that is fun to have for a few years while working through college, or trying to figure out where you want to go in life.
Awesome work environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2014
Help kids with their homework right after school. After that we would let them go play games from pool to ping pong. I learned that kids also teach you things in life. Co-workers were awesome they came from different parts of Indianapolis. The hardest part was helping those kids that really didnt get a grip on their work. The most enjoyable part was seeing those kids go from grade to grade and excelling in all subjects
Pros
seeing kids grow up
Cons
short breaks
Having Fun working with children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis,MNApril 9, 2013
A typical day for me would be coming in and getting the art cart set up. After that me and the teacher will go from class to class doing different art projects with the children. Sometimes we will go outside and do different projects as well. At the end of the day I would take the cart back to the art classroom and make sure everything is in place and cleaned.
Pros
talking to the children hearing and seeing their creative side
Cons
break not long enough
Fast paced enviroment
Floral Designer (Former Employee) –  1633 darby drJuly 15, 2014
The ability to know that there was always worked to be done in a fast paced environment. I was constantly challenged and held in high expectation to give my best. The hardest part of the job was the extreme fluctuation of hours. The management was dependable, always there to lend a helping hand when needed. I learned how to be a more independent designer.
Pros
holiday bonuses
Cons
no benefits and not enough hours
print shop assistant (quality control) (Current Employee) –  tarpon springs FLFebruary 9, 2013
I enjoyed the job and most all of the fellow employees. I picked up the information very well and maintained 2 million prints a month since I started in which they have never reached. We worked well as a team.
Pros
liked the job
Cons
no benefits, leader didnt treat fellow employees well and no job security.
No way to advance, nothing to help you improve.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 9, 2012
Management doesn't manage. No opportunties for advancement. Difficult to get increase in pay/salary is very meager. Co-workers are decided based on "feelings" rather than performance. Over-all, not a very positive experience or environment.
worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, InSeptember 30, 2014
I worked 11 hours a day 6 days a week and only paid 500.00 a month but promise 500.00 biweekly. I wasnt allowed to do homework during breaks. Bad supervisors.
Cons
they didnt keep their pay promises at all.
good place to work
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILApril 13, 2015
I enjoyed working with the children in foster care; it provided me an opportunity to make a difference in a child life. It allowed me flexibility and work independently. It also allowed for me to work with families from a team member approach.
Pros
flexibilty
Wonderful after-schol program
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 24, 2015
I really enjoyed working with children enrolled in the Kaleidoscope program. The children ranged from kindergarten to fifth grade so I was given the opportunity to work with a wide range of children from a very diverse group.

Want to know more about Kaleidoscope?

Ask a question
Great talent - strategic brand design
Senior Design Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2015
Fast paced and creative, Kaleidoscope goes the extra mile and delivers fabulous design work with a mission. Great people.
Pros
Bring your dog to work every day
Cons
Long hours & weekends
Clinical Rotation
Student Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 23, 2013
Worked with special needs patients towards improving functional abilities. Good coworkers and relaxed work environment.
Pros
rewarding to work with this group of patients
Cons
soap notes can be difficult with this group of patients
Ok, just burned out
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  East PalestineFebruary 11, 2014
This is a good job, the pay could be better but OT is almost always available if you are flexible on your hours.
An emply slate to create an amazing product with the proper team
Director of Developmental Disabilities (Current Employee) –  16 counties in northwest gaDecember 31, 2013
Love the opportunity however it is like pushing an 18 wheeler every day to see the smallest advancement.
productive and fun workplace