Kamehameha Schools Employee Reviews

Sad what is happening now. Very poor upper management have lost sight of the Princess' vision. No true Aloha. No values. It's all about the $$$$
Manager (Former Employee), rather not say but on a neighbor islandJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Support from my teammates
Cons: All the changes and no communication from upper management since Dee Jay, Sylvia and Lauren left. Boo hoo. I'm sad. :(
Long, thankless days. Snotty and snooty upper management. (corporate at Kawaiaha'o Plaza. Yes, them! They have no clue what a servant leader does or how to work with human beings. Dee Jay, Sylvia, – more... Lauren...we miss you so much!!!! Now, it's just about the numbers and selfie pats on their own backs. They even hand out little stars for us to put on their goals. Who do they think got them to reaching those goals anyway? Not them! The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie among the other worker bees like me. I'm outta' there. Enough is enough. – less
Fun and great learning experience
Summer School Aide (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJuly 2, 2015
I worked for the Summer with children that ranged from the ages 4-5. A typical day at work would be supervising the children playing in the morning, then I would take them to pool and help them swim for – more... 40 minutes at a time. I learned to have a lot of patience during this job. We would rotate the children throughout the day between the different activities. The management I worked for was amazing and very energetic. My coworkers were other students that either graduated from Kamehameha or currently in school. Everyone I worked with were great and were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was trying to gain the trust of the non experience swimmers. I would usually have the group that didn't really know how to swim. This was also the most enjoyable part of the job. It was a great feelings to see them progress, learn and even jump towards me with full confidence. I enjoyed helping the children learn the basics of swimming and it was great to see their excitement grow throughout the summer. – less
Kamehameha Schools
Help Desk Administrator (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 25, 2015
Pros: Caring work environment, free food all the time
Cons: had to sit in a chair most of the day
Typical day included resolving staff IT issues (Hardware, software, network) creating tickets when work needed to be sent to higher tier.
Excellent atmosphere to work with the students and staff
Secondary School Teacher (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 10, 2015
Pros: Working with adults and young students/staff
Cons: Intense and long days
Large Private Education Institution that provided generous opportunities to keep the education of the students in the limelight. We had Boarding students from the outer Islands and that added to the – more... wholesome atmosphere of the campus.

In the Tennis Camp experience, I grew tremendously from having the opportunity to be part of the management of a boarding summer camp working with a staff of fifty people and young college students.

I retired from the Navy, two years active and 28 years in thereserves and rose to the rate of Master Chief. This opportunity eposed me the the many facets of the military and civilian community.

I especially enjoyed helping the students become succesful in their required curriculum and working with very qualifed staff – less
Friendly and well-structured environment
Summer Assistant (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMarch 5, 2015
Typical day included setting up laptops for the students to use throughout the day and helping students with laptop usage. The end of the day was dedicated to making sure that the students were on their buses on time back to their places of residence. I learned a great deal of patients and persistence as I continued to help the students.
Culturally enriching place to work
Music Assistant (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 21, 2015
A typical day for me is teaching Hawaiian choral music to students in grades 9-12. The staff prepares the students for an annual song contest competition that usually takes place in March. The students – more... have two months or so to memorize their music. I also help out with any office tasks that the music director may need for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is doing what you love. I absolutely love being able to teach and share with the students the importance of knowing who they are and where they come from as Hawaiians. It's fun to see the students face light up when they make that connection. – less
Workplace emphasizes Hawaiian Culture
Verification Services Assistant I & II (Current Employee), Honolulu, HINovember 13, 2014
The organization maintains a long-term vision with strategic goals.
Great place to work with lots of different experiences.
Full time Lifeguard (Current Employee), Keaau, HINovember 11, 2014
Pros: great affordable school lunch, ability to exercise on campus
Working as a Lifeguard for Kamehameha Schools can be a very rewarding experience. Some days you get to accompany groups of students of all ages to various locations around the island. Most days are spent – more... at the Olympic size swimming pool located on the campus where students K-12 supervised by teachers come and swim. The management and co-workers for the most part are very friendly and helpful, you can come to them with any questions or concerns. – less
Treatment of employees and students
Private (Former Employee), Kea‘au, HIOctober 17, 2014
Pros: updated technology
Cons: gossiping, bullies, establishing clicks, upper management lacks education, experience, and business professionalism and maturity, time wasters get away with doing nothing
Employees who work hard and dedicate themselves to the school, suffer criticism, are considered an outcast, and soon sent to the door.

Princess Pauahi Bishop would be, and maybe is saddened, that her – more... good deed turned into a monopoly over power and money. There is no genuine care for employees, much of whom are under-paid, those who spend time gossiping and wasting company monies are honored. Students are not receiving the highest level of education for a private school. Don't be fooled. It is not the same. Have you seen Kamehameha students from the Hawaii campus? Disgraceful.

Nothing changed through the reorganization 20 years ago. There is absolutely no fairness and even aloha for employees. Employees run that school into a disgrace.

Gossiping is very bad and the way you can be targeted if they don't like you. Take a look at the high rate of vacancies the schools have in Keaau. Very political. I would not recommend anyone to work there or even send your kids there. You will be sadly disappointed. Working here is like living in prison. Don't let the fake smiles fool you, because those are the ones gaining all the rewards. The real workers, educated workers, are bullied and picked on constantly.

There is no teaching of Hawaiian values and morals. Why? Because the adults there can't even do it. You would think an organization like this would be different. Full of love and not tolerate idle gossip. It is, instead filled with people who maneuvered their way into a job who care nothing for the Hawaiian people.

Think twice before deciding to work in this environment, or subject your child to such torture of no support, no extra help, made fun of in front of others, and the list goes on.

I don't think this school can recover. If you see the highest decrease in enrollment and continuous vacancies....think why this is. It is not a place of love, christianity, and nurturing.......

We Hawaiians did better without this fake school. – less
Perfect work environrment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIJuly 25, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: pay is low
Days are long but yet interesting. As an employee, you always learn something new. Sometimes its from the kids and other times its from your own co-worker. Time management is key and important because you always want to keep the kids focused but yet educate them. The hardest part the job is to make sure you go at a pace that the entire class is learning.
Food and Nutrition Services Manager
Food and Nutrition Services Manager (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 28, 2014
• Responsible for the overall management of the day-to-day operations and food production of the Department. Maintain the highest standard of food quality, customer service, safety and sanitation in the – more... provision of meal service and special functions.
• Responsible for all supervision, education, and training of all assigned personnel.
• Maintains and monitors all food and supply usage and requirements, keeping within budget constraints.
• Ensure operations are consistent with best practices and regulatory requirements. – less
Nepotism
Peon (Current Employee), Honolulu, HINovember 13, 2013
Pros: free lunch. tons of paid professional development, get paid to learn hawaiian language, healthcare, nice facilities, various other benefits
Cons: nepotism and racial supremacy
The culture here is very odd. They are very partial to Polynesians and it is commonplace to put down those who are not of the appropriate heritage. Obligatory professional development situations try to – more... brainwash employees that Polynesians are better than all other races of people. It is interesting to learn about native Hawaiian culture and to learn about the language but it is uncomfortable to be told that you are not as good as them or that you cannot be promoted due to your own heritage. It is also an unhealthy environment for the children of the school to be taught this way. And unhealthy for the adults who work there to buy into. I do not recommend this environment. If you are Polynesian I think the culture here is odd and unhealthy. If you are not I think it is hurtful to work in this environment. I agree that the founders would not be pleased with the irresponsible teachings and behaviors here. – less
cronies and former students only
Grunt (Current Employee), HonoluluOctober 22, 2013
Pros: school to educate hawaiian children.
Cons: corrupt management and trustees.
Pros – School to educate Hawaiian children. $9.4 Billion asset to fund schools. Involved in local community to educate Hawaiian culture
Cons – corrupt management and trustees. Trustees wants 10 year term – more... being paid over $90,000. What do they exactly do? If Princess Bernice only knew of this corruption in the schools.
i agree with one of the reviewer that this school only hire former students and cronies. You will be interviewed but they will just waste your time. Don't bother to apply if you are not related to this school.
Advice to Senior Management – replace the corrupt management and cronies trustees and replace them with honest people.
No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company – less
Well organized and student centered
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), HIApril 19, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Kamehameha schools uses structure and discipline to keep campus running smoothly. The students know excellence is expected from them and they give it. The classes incorporate rigor and experimentation. – more...
The teaching staff is there to support you if you have questions, a real team environment.
The administration is always available.
A model of education!
I would still be working there if I was on island! – less
Good organization. Meaningful mission. Many wonderful and competent people.
Chief Financial Officer / Vice President (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMarch 28, 2012
Kamehameha Schools is a native Hawaiian organization focusing all of its resources on the education of native Hawaiian children. KS has a number of highly compentent people who are very dedicated to its mission.