Kansas City Power & Light

Kansas City Power & Light Employee Reviews

Can be stressful, little work/life balance
Support Analyst (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: you can "buy" 1 additional week vacation, benefits are good compared to others
Cons: no comp time, putting in extra hours for no reward, no extra leave
Company is understaffed - attempting to do more with less, literally. Many groups are operating at a skeleton crew level, yet expectations are high to deliver same results with less people, and aging hardware, etc. Hardest part of the job is not being able to focus on any one item for any length of time. Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to get out in the field and having the time to support the groups assigned (on a quiet day when things are actually running for once).
There is a major disconnect between those that work in the trenches to management/upper level management and their expectations vs actual real world results.
Good intern program
Wind Turbine Technician (Former Employee), Spearville, KSNovember 11, 2013
Worked at a wind farm near Dodge City, KS. All technicians were very helpful during the inter program.
Days were very busy and stressful.
Electrical Outage Planner (Former Employee), IATAN Plant Weston, MOOctober 26, 2013
A typical day for me started with the morning meeting. Next I contacted the electrical contractors to check on the jobs given them.
Next I would get with the HVAC contractor about his jobs.
I would contact vendors as needed for parts or large equipment that was sent out for repairs.
I worked on outage work orders.
Was keeping the cable schedule updated.
Attended various meetings during the day as needed.
Worked on any added assignments that was given me.
I finished with the afternoon meeting.

I enjoyed working with the other foremen and planners.
Overall a very good place to work with good benifits.
Control Operator (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 27, 2013
I learned a lot during my years at KCP&L. I was able to use my natural abilities there to the fullest. During my six months probationary period I was allowed to make a tool of my own design that I was convinced would make scrubber cleaning go much faster than it had been in the past. I showed the concept to my supervisor and he assigned me a mechanic and a welder to make the tools in time for the next scrubber cleaning.

To make a long story short it took about three weeks using two 12 hour crews working round the clock to get one scrubber bed cleaned. When it was time to clean the next scrubber bed the tools were ready. They still set up two crews to get the job done, but it turned out that the first crew on day shift using the new tools did the complete job before the noon lunch hour. That was probably my most enjoyable experience at KCP&L.

After my probationary period was over I became a plant helper and was assigned various jobs working with mechanics, electricians and technicians I also did a lot of cleanup work in and around the plant. I quickly moved into plant operations and started my way up the ladder to the top job of control Operator learning each lower job along the way. As a control operator I would come in and get briefed on what was going on with the unit and if everything was running smoothly I would then check and see what we had in the way of maintenance tickets. Maintenance tickets required red and blue holds which were the plant’s safety lockout procedures. I would have to look at the prints and write up whichever type hold the equipment required to make – more... it safe to work on. This required locating all the valves, and electrical breakers needed to isolate the equipment that was to be repaired.

During this process I still had to maintain control of the power plant which took precedence over writing up holds. If there was a problem somewhere in the plant I would get an alarm that would point me in the right direction to check it out on the computerized DCIS control system, then depending on what type of equipment it was I would have to call either a PEA (Plant equipment Operator) or a rover which was the next operator job up from PEA, or a roving control operator. The operator would check out the equipment and report back to me what he felt the problem was. I then would have a mechanic, electrician, or a technician check it out. After that a ticket would be issued and a hold would have to be written to get the problem resolved.

While the unit was running with no apparent mechanical or electrical problems I would visually monitor the screens looking for signs of developing problems and make corrections if necessary, but most of the time the unit was on automatic control and it mostly ran like clockwork during which time I also had an hourly checklist to fill out which also would give clues to how the unit was running. The hard times were when the unit failed for whatever reason and had to be shut down for repairs. This meant the control operator had to take the unit offline. Taking the unit off wasn’t as hard as putting it back in service.

Sometimes it took days working around the clock to get the unit back on because of problems that were inherent to letting everything cool down. If the unit was still hot then putting it back on was much easier. Putting a power plant back in service was some of the most grueling work I did at KCP&L, not so much physically, but mentally. Eight hours of fighting to get the unit back on was exhausting to say the least.

The fun times were when the unit was running great and we were able to cook food in the kitchen, someone was continually monitoring the unit of course, but that freed up people to cook food for everyone. Sometimes I did it sometimes I watched the unit while someone else did the cooking. When we were able to we usually ate pretty good! Management was great, as long as the work got done they didn’t much care what else we did during the day, we could talk and have fun in the control room, roam the plant, (we all carried radios) visit other departments, but when something happened with the unit everyone ran to do whatever they could to help, it was expected and everyone understood the concept.

I could go on and tell you in more detail about some of the horrific problems that typicaly arise during any given day running a 700 MW coal fired power plant, but hopefully this gives a small window of what it is really like. – less
Great place for continue growth and developing new skills.
Senior Clerk -Timekeeper (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 1, 2013
Great people, wok locations and training opportunities. Friendly, helpful and skillful employees. Great pay and benefits!
good union company
Customer Service (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 24, 2013
Pros: good company until they underwent an aquisition of another company
Cons: the company values changed to the acquired company and no one appreciated our input
started as customer service representative and advanced to step up supervisor. my manager was great
Help Desk Analyst
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 30, 2012
Troubleshooting, analyzing, repairing computer issues.
Good people doing good things
PUBLIC AFFAIRS/CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS INTERN (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 13, 2012
KCP&L is the definition of a energy company with a heart. I loved working there, hated the commute to downtown KC, but it was so worth it. As an intern they gave me every opportunity to experience what I was willing to go out and see/do. They published my work, gave me interviews with execs and let me tour all the plants. This is an amazing learning experience and fun place to work with an amazing group of people who know what they are doing.
fun place to work, enjoyed learning new things.
Mail Room Clerk/Print Shop/ A/P/ Records Managment (Former Employee), Kansas City, MissouriApril 6, 2012
Pros: paid well
Cons: union
A typical day was sorting mail in bends and then delivering mail to the floors. I really enjoyed staying busy. I had one other co worker that helped me.. I really loved my job at KCPL.

About Kansas City Power & Light

Great Plains Energy is sweeping the fruited plains with electric power. The holding company serves about 823,200 electricity customers – Read more