Kansas City Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good loving people to work with and around
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 2, 2016
Thank you KCPS for giving me an opportunity to work with you guys. I have worked with this company since August of 2015 and I really enjoy my job.
Rumor has it...
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 31, 2016
That it's not as bad as everyone thinks. The kids are still kids and they need someone to believe in them. The adults can act like children or they can be your best friend. It's all what you make of it.
Great entry level job
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 24, 2016
This job has many pros and cons. Job does not keep employees I have been thru four teachers in one year. Overall being able to work with a great environment of students is what keeps me going.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No time to have a break due to the schedule of the students
Assistant Cafeteria Manager / Cafeteria Manager
Assistant Cafeteria Manager / Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 11, 2015
Working for a large school district and this one is more than a job within its self. The persons that you come in contact with and the different nationalities that in it self was a life lesson to me. It is a great place to work and the benefits are great also.
Pros
Good place to work.
Cons
Not given pay or job employment during the summer months when school is dismissed.
Constant Training
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 27, 2015
Difficult to advance while working within the Security Department at Kansas City Public Schools. Need more advancement opportunities with company.
Challenging and Rewarding teaching experience in a dual language immersion school.
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 26, 2015
Responsibilities include teaching up to 6 classes a day on different grade levels. Managing grades, lesson preparation, working with a very diverse staff/faculty as it is a dual language immersion school-French and Spanish. I am not bi-lingual. The most difficult part of the position is setting and re-setting the classroom to meet the needs of a particular grade level. The most enjoyable part of the job are the children, their willingness to try and learn, I also enjoy working with a staff that is talented, intelligent, and supportive. My educational motto is: Educate, Advocate, Communicate, Collaborate, and Participate!
Pros
The only music teacher in the building for several years, great work climate, and supportive environment.
Cons
Not enough class time with each student.
Unorganized and stressful work environment
4th grade teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 9, 2014
This is a tough district to work for. There was minimal support from my administration. I was pretty much left to fend for myself and when I asked for help I barely received any or I would be told that I would get help and the help would not come. It takes a long time to bond with the students and they are also very transient so often times I would start to bond with a student and they would move and no longer be in my classroom. The staff is kind and helpful. I made it through the year because I had great coworkers who offered me great advice and tried to help the best they could.
Very Good place too work
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 23, 2014
a typical day- of feeding the children, doing produtions ,making sure order or going out and food is coming in. in good conditions, i have learn that i work with different people everyday and there will be challenges in life learn how to deal with them ,Managment is a very good job ,if u have good workers and get along with them can make the job easy ,The hardest part of my job is leaving everyday hoping the that i fed the children enough food todayAnd when i see the kids happy smiling and saying Thank You Ms.Myers then i know i did my job:)
Top Heavy Administration; Management/employee miscommunication
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2014
Former administrators with egos and their fav five working under them (Public Relations, Asst. H.R. Administrator, etc). Many principals and teachers were not knowledgeable of their required job duties. A lot of miscommunication and non-communication on matters of importance. Many uncertified teachers who lacked knowledge, skills and ability to perform their job efficiently. Hopefully they are being weeded out. Great need for caring social workers in every school setting! Inefficiency and non-production is promoted. Honesty and integrity is not well received.
Pros
Very Diverse
Cons
Management was Dysfunction
Working with teens was a very enjoyable and upbeat environment
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 22, 2013
My typical day was providing nursing assessment and care to students and staff who were ill or injured. I also worked with the health instructor and provided seminars on various health topics to classes grade 7-12. Provided care to students during emergency situations and called for assistance from outside emergency staff as needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with teens and being able to mentor and council students. Working with other staff was very pleasant and the work environment was a lot of fun.
Pros
summers off, great work schedule, fun co-workers and great students
Very productive and interesting workplace.
Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MissouriJuly 16, 2014
My time as a Patrol Officer was been a learning experience. Providing safety for the youth of Kansas City is only half the the job. The other half is becoming someone for these kids to look up. Motivate them to higher places like college. Very inspiring.
Pros
The benefits for my family, and becoming a role model.
Cons
the danger level in some parts of Kansas City.
Cool place to work if you just want to punch the clock
Site Based Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 25, 2013
Absoluetly no room for advancement
No one in management has your back
Co-workers are outstanding, build great comraderies
Pros
Working with children is rewarding
Cons
Poor management
Learn while you earn...
Head Start Instructor (Former Employee) –  Woodland Early Learning Community CenterAugust 20, 2014
This employer provides you with a lot of professional development along with opportunities to get certified in other academic areas.
Pros
Opportunities, opportunities, Opportunities...
Cons
Accreditation.
It is a fun and learning environment. Our school was the only elementary school to make Title1 Progressing school in Missouri
ELL Parraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 7, 2013
It is great working in the school setting, The staff here are great team players, Our principal is a fair person who appreciates all we do! The hardest part of my job personally is having to interpret to a large group of parents meaning all school, The most enjoyable part is the children, I get to work with a diverse group of kids who also appreciate all I do with them if its teaching, giving advise or cleaning a cut and putting a bandage on them and the trust parents have towards me, Helping them fill out paper work they may not understand well, I have been doing this for close to 16 yrs. as well as after school care. I love my job but am now trying to relocate to California preferably Imperial Valley. I am still employed for this school district as of this year 2013 hopefully relocate for 2013-2014
Pros
free lunches, free dental visits for the children and after school care and tutoring. great benefits, vacations breaks lunches so on.
Enjoyed working with students, parents and co-workers
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 7, 2012
I enjoyed providing resources and referrals to student's and parent's. Provided crisis intervention on a daily basis to elementary and secondary student's.
Hard Working Environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 23, 2014
Working here takes all of your energy; all of us officers secure the different schools in the district with bad management to look up to when we need them.
Cons
I really enjoyed this job as school nurse.
School Nurse - Carver Elementary School (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 19, 2013
I loved working with children, very rewarding.
I learned how to interact well with Spanish speaking
families and students.
Excellent
Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 28, 2013
I feel great working for a company which allows me to perform a good job.
Staff is not treated with respect or trusted to do their job without micro-management
2nd Grade Teacher, James Elementary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 26, 2015
Kansas City School District is currently on probation after losing their accredidation. Management at the district level is very disjointed. Departments do not communicate so mixed messages trickle down to the building level which causes a great deal of uncertainty.
I am told my school, James Elementary, was the best school to be assigned to. James does not have the discipline problems that other building have and most of the staff try their hardest. The building, however, is over 100 years old, has peeling lead-based paint, asbestos and a mold problem. It is a K-6 building but only has one copier (very slow and broken often) for staff and one office computer for office use only. The teacher's copier is in the basement. It is a 3-story building but the elevator is usually broken.
Teachers are required to write very detailed weekly lesson plans that take a good two hours to complete but they are only briefly looked at by the principal. I teach second grade. I have 20 students with 75% being either ELL, LD or BD but given no para or other support staff in the room. 2nd grade is assigned an ELL teacher that is suppose to come into the room for an hour each day but she has come in around 20 times this year. They pull her out to monitor testing or cover the office. Pearson products are used but are not very good. Throught the year more and more supplimental programs are added by the district that we are required to use but nothing is ever removed. We currently have 5 computer programs, other than Pearson, that we are told to use at least 1/2 hour per day.
As my summary says,
  more... Teachers are not respected or trusted in this district. Another teacher told me the first week of school that this district was a carreer distroyer. We are told what to have on our walls, what to teach and when to teach it. A great example is that when we display student work we have to include the common core standard being taught and the rubric we used to grade.
The hardest part of the job is just the lack of support and resources to do an effective job. The most enjoyable part is the team planning and talking with the other two amazing 2nd grade teachers.
Pros
Teaching staff try to make a difference in a difficult environment
Cons
Building conditions, lack of support and resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas City Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9