Kansas City Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good benefits and they do provide you with the tools to get the job done.
Child Nutrition Director (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2017
There are a lot of hard working good intention people with this organization. Unfortunately the frequent changes in administration and negativity of the urban culture made this a very stressful place to work.
Pros
Great schedule. Core of people hard working and good intentions.
Cons
Ploliticing, too many outside influences. Union
Great
Business Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2017
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Cons
Stressful, pays well, get winter break off with students paid, great benefits
First line Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 24, 2017
Pay and benefits are excellent. There is something shady going on. Lot of bias behavior. Have to really watch your back, cant trust anyone. Legal runs the entire district, not Human resources.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Everybody is out to get you.
Productive Work Environment
Parent School Liaison (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 12, 2017
Staff and Management were very professional. This is considering local and state mandates placed on educational institutions. The workplace culture promoted success in every child within the school. The most enjoyable part of the job was mentoring students and empowering them for greater success.
Very productive, outgoing, and it could stressful at times.
Pre k learning assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 3, 2017
Always conduct and serve in professional manner. Give it your 'A' game, Shoot it for the stars and remain calm. Remain humbled when engaging with children, allow room for mishaps, give encouraging words, and be a team player no matter what. It's not always fun and games, but, you will learn and grow with each step of the way.
Pros
Great support from co-workers and staffs
Cons
No benefits for part-time employees
Enjoyed my time there
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 7, 2017
I was a long-term sub while getting my teaching certificate for many years. I was at several different schools. Some schools run smoother than others.
Challenging environment
Reading Interventionist K-4 (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 3, 2016
This was a challenging work environment. Many administrators often giving you different information. The hardest part of this job was the uncertainty of daily procedures. It was hard to plan ahead.
Pros
Strong relationships with students and staff.
Cons
Management and guaranteed placement.
Good loving people to work with and around
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 2, 2016
Thank you KCPS for giving me an opportunity to work with you guys. I have worked with this company since August of 2015 and I really enjoy my job.
Rumor has it...
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 31, 2016
That it's not as bad as everyone thinks. The kids are still kids and they need someone to believe in them. The adults can act like children or they can be your best friend. It's all what you make of it.
Great entry level job
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 24, 2016
This job has many pros and cons. Job does not keep employees I have been thru four teachers in one year. Overall being able to work with a great environment of students is what keeps me going.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No time to have a break due to the schedule of the students
Constant Training
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 27, 2015
Difficult to advance while working within the Security Department at Kansas City Public Schools. Need more advancement opportunities with company.
Assistant Cafeteria Manager / Cafeteria Manager
Assistant Cafeteria Manager / Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 11, 2015
Working for a large school district and this one is more than a job within its self. The persons that you come in contact with and the different nationalities that in it self was a life lesson to me. It is a great place to work and the benefits are great also.
Pros
Good place to work.
Cons
Not given pay or job employment during the summer months when school is dismissed.
Staff is not treated with respect or trusted to do their job without micro-management
2nd Grade Teacher, James Elementary (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 26, 2015
Kansas City School District is currently on probation after losing their accredidation. Management at the district level is very disjointed. Departments do not communicate so mixed messages trickle down to the building level which causes a great deal of uncertainty.
I am told my school, James Elementary, was the best school to be assigned to. James does not have the discipline problems that other building have and most of the staff try their hardest. The building, however, is over 100 years old, has peeling lead-based paint, asbestos and a mold problem. It is a K-6 building but only has one copier (very slow and broken often) for staff and one office computer for office use only. The teacher's copier is in the basement. It is a 3-story building but the elevator is usually broken.
Teachers are required to write very detailed weekly lesson plans that take a good two hours to complete but they are only briefly looked at by the principal. I teach second grade. I have 20 students with 75% being either ELL, LD or BD but given no para or other support staff in the room. 2nd grade is assigned an ELL teacher that is suppose to come into the room for an hour each day but she has come in around 20 times this year. They pull her out to monitor testing or cover the office. Pearson products are used but are not very good. Throught the year more and more supplimental programs are added by the district that we are required to use but nothing is ever removed. We currently have 5 computer programs, other than Pearson, that we are told to use at least 1/2 hour per day.
As my summary says,
  more... Teachers are not respected or trusted in this district. Another teacher told me the first week of school that this district was a carreer distroyer. We are told what to have on our walls, what to teach and when to teach it. A great example is that when we display student work we have to include the common core standard being taught and the rubric we used to grade.
The hardest part of the job is just the lack of support and resources to do an effective job. The most enjoyable part is the team planning and talking with the other two amazing 2nd grade teachers.
Pros
Teaching staff try to make a difference in a difficult environment
Cons
Building conditions, lack of support and resources
Challenging and Rewarding teaching experience in a dual language immersion school.
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 26, 2015
Responsibilities include teaching up to 6 classes a day on different grade levels. Managing grades, lesson preparation, working with a very diverse staff/faculty as it is a dual language immersion school-French and Spanish. I am not bi-lingual. The most difficult part of the position is setting and re-setting the classroom to meet the needs of a particular grade level. The most enjoyable part of the job are the children, their willingness to try and learn, I also enjoy working with a staff that is talented, intelligent, and supportive. My educational motto is: Educate, Advocate, Communicate, Collaborate, and Participate!
Pros
The only music teacher in the building for several years, great work climate, and supportive environment.
Cons
Not enough class time with each student.
Hard Working Environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 23, 2014
Working here takes all of your energy; all of us officers secure the different schools in the district with bad management to look up to when we need them.
Learn while you earn...
Head Start Instructor (Former Employee) –  Woodland Early Learning Community CenterAugust 20, 2014
This employer provides you with a lot of professional development along with opportunities to get certified in other academic areas.
Pros
Opportunities, opportunities, Opportunities...
Cons
Accreditation.
Very productive and interesting workplace.
Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MissouriJuly 16, 2014
My time as a Patrol Officer was been a learning experience. Providing safety for the youth of Kansas City is only half the the job. The other half is becoming someone for these kids to look up. Motivate them to higher places like college. Very inspiring.
Pros
The benefits for my family, and becoming a role model.
Cons
the danger level in some parts of Kansas City.
Unorganized and stressful work environment
4th grade teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 9, 2014
This is a tough district to work for. There was minimal support from my administration. I was pretty much left to fend for myself and when I asked for help I barely received any or I would be told that I would get help and the help would not come. It takes a long time to bond with the students and they are also very transient so often times I would start to bond with a student and they would move and no longer be in my classroom. The staff is kind and helpful. I made it through the year because I had great coworkers who offered me great advice and tried to help the best they could.
Very Good place too work
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 23, 2014
a typical day- of feeding the children, doing produtions ,making sure order or going out and food is coming in. in good conditions, i have learn that i work with different people everyday and there will be challenges in life learn how to deal with them ,Managment is a very good job ,if u have good workers and get along with them can make the job easy ,The hardest part of my job is leaving everyday hoping the that i fed the children enough food todayAnd when i see the kids happy smiling and saying Thank You Ms.Myers then i know i did my job:)
Top Heavy Administration; Management/employee miscommunication
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2014
Former administrators with egos and their fav five working under them (Public Relations, Asst. H.R. Administrator, etc). Many principals and teachers were not knowledgeable of their required job duties. A lot of miscommunication and non-communication on matters of importance. Many uncertified teachers who lacked knowledge, skills and ability to perform their job efficiently. Hopefully they are being weeded out. Great need for caring social workers in every school setting! Inefficiency and non-production is promoted. Honesty and integrity is not well received.
Pros
Very Diverse
Cons
Management was Dysfunction