Kansas City Southern Railway Employee Reviews

An overall quality experience
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 29, 2015
Overall, KCS is a very good company with a high upside in a very profitable industry. The people generally enjoy working there very much and the work is challenging and rewarding. The company's overall success is highly impacted by the state of the economy but it is unique vs the other railroads due to its diversification in Mexico, which works very well within its portfolio. The industry is intriguing as you compete fiercely with another carrier in one meeting and partner with that same carrier in another piece of business, all relative to geography and product type.
Pros
Excellent benefits and work environment
Use them as a stepping stone
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Kansas CitySeptember 19, 2015
This company doesn't value it's employees. You will constantly be railroaded, and treated like an absolute dog. Your areas of advancement are at the managers mercy. Use them as a stepping stone, and move onto an actual railroad that isn't an absolute joke.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
no life, shorts your paycheck.
Conductor
Conductor (Former Employee) –  kendletonSeptember 10, 2015
If you're applying for this just know that as soon as you get certified you will be furloughed! There are about 20-30 conductors ahead of you that will come back to work before you do so don't quit a decent career to start this one.
Demanding 24/7 environment
Locomotive Engineer, Conductor, and Brakeman (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LaAugust 4, 2015
KCS is a demanding 24/7 railroad environment specializing in the moving of rolling goods and stock from one location to the next. Customer service is priority, although the treatment of the employees and their families is not a consideration for this company
Account Specialist
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas CityJuly 7, 2015
Kansas City Southern Railway is the US oldest Class 1 Railroad operating primarily in the southern and gulf region of the United States.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Upper Management are unfreindly
STAY AWAY!!
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Shreveport LAMarch 11, 2015
I was in the conductor trainee program. Training is about 6 months or more actually and thats including a derail period. Derail means no accidents with trains for 90 days, and that's if you make it that far without being terminated. If someone on your crew mess up and cause an accident the entire crew gets fired and is under investigation you may or may not come back after months or even years. As a trainee you have no union support so you can and will be Fired if you make one mistake that may or may not even be your fault. The saying on the yard is that they Hire You To Fire you. Trust me people I didn't believe that a company with a name like this didn't want long term employees but honestly they don't care that's why they are always hiring. I will say this money is great job security is not. If you have a good job and a family I wouldn't take the chance of working here. If your single no kids not making decent money etc you have nothing to lose. But like I said you have to get out of training first.
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
very sneaky untrustworthy management
KCS Railroad
Manager, Crew Services (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 2, 2014
I go into my place of employment with a good attitude; any problems outside the office is left outside. I make sure of the tasks for the morning throughout the afternoon. As a manager, I learned how to be a friend, but also professional with handling business. I always had an "open door policy". This insures that if an employee has a concern I'm there to help and if I don't have answers, I would find them.
unfriendly
Sales executive (Former Employee) –  LAOctober 30, 2014
People are not allowed to speak up if they do they are replaced. very inconsistent in how rules are applied and very much who you are friends with situation.
Too long of training period
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  East St. Louis ILOctober 20, 2014
Go to work and work on the road or in the yard. Not sure of hours until the day you are called.
It was a busy workplace.
Executive Assistant to President/CEO (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2014
The people were nice. The job was stressful. There were constant reorganizations throughout the company.

I was fortunate to work with some very nice people.
The culture was very formal and quiet.

Want to know more about Kansas City Southern Railway?

Ask a question
A great learning experience
Assistant Manager/Manager of Payroll Accounting (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 18, 2013
I really enjoyed my time at Kansas City Southern Railway. I learned so much about systems, unions, parallel testing, implementation, etc. My supervisor let me manage and did not get involved unless I asked him to. I really appreciated that.
Swing shifts
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 29, 2013
Work as team and individual in customer service center. Hours various from day to day. Great benefits.
Love working in Information Technology
Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kansas CityAugust 31, 2013
After almost 30 years I still love working in IT. I love supporting SQL Server, Oracle, UDB LUW and UDB Z/OS. Overall I rate my work experience as "wouldn't want to miss it".
Pros
great work environment
Cons
micro managed
very demanding job with emphasis on time at work
Sr. Trainmaster (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 11, 2012
Well paying job but effort is required. Most of your time is spent on conference calls and delegating work. Job requires 24x7 attention.
Pros
good compensation and healthcare
Cons
work/life balance predominately work.
Flexible schedule, lack of management directions, good compensation
Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2012
- no training program for new employees
- management gave little direction
- people were friendly
- process and procedures are questionable and need updating
- flexible schedule
Pros
flexible schedule, compensation
Cons
no direction, no direction from management

Comment – June 5, 2013

how hard is it to get on? they have a secton laborer job posted. Im a custodian at the moment so anything is better then where im at.

Great place to work! Best employees, from train crews to trainmasters.
Train Crew Conductor (Former Employee) –  Wylie, TXMay 3, 2012
Very safe and aware co-workers. Learned team work and developed safe work habbits. The hardest part of the job was the long waits in sidings. The most enjoyable part was getting out their switching cars in the yard and the joy of mainline movement. Enjoyed the entire part of the job and cant wait to get back!
benefits
Cons
sometimes at home to long.