Kansas City Southern Railway Employee Reviews

Account Specialist
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Kansas CityJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Salary and Benefits
Cons: Upper Management are unfreindly
Kansas City Southern Railway is the US oldest Class 1 Railroad operating primarily in the southern and gulf region of the United States.
STAY AWAY!!
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Shreveport LAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: pay benefits
Cons: very sneaky untrustworthy management
I was in the conductor trainee program. Training is about 6 months or more actually and thats including a derail period. Derail means no accidents with trains for 90 days, and that's if you make it that far without being terminated. If someone on your crew mess up and cause an accident the entire crew gets fired and is under investigation you may or may not come back after months or even years. As a trainee you have no union support so you can and will be Fired if you make one mistake that may or may not even be your fault. The saying on the yard is that they Hire You To Fire you. Trust me people I didn't believe that a company with a name like this didn't want long term employees but honestly they don't care that's why they are always hiring. I will say this money is great job security is not. If you have a good job and a family I wouldn't take the chance of working here. If your single no kids not making decent money etc you have nothing to lose. But like I said you have to get out of training first.
KCS Railroad
Manager, Crew Services (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 2, 2014
I go into my place of employment with a good attitude; any problems outside the office is left outside. I make sure of the tasks for the morning throughout the afternoon. As a manager, I learned how to be a friend, but also professional with handling business. I always had an "open door policy". This insures that if an employee has a concern I'm there to help and if I don't have answers, I would find them.
unfriendly
Sales executive (Former Employee), LAOctober 30, 2014
People are not allowed to speak up if they do they are replaced. very inconsistent in how rules are applied and very much who you are friends with situation.
Too long of training period
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), East St. Louis ILOctober 20, 2014
Go to work and work on the road or in the yard. Not sure of hours until the day you are called.
It was a busy workplace.
Executive Assistant to President/CEO (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2014
The people were nice. The job was stressful. There were constant reorganizations throughout the company.

I was fortunate to work with some very nice people.
The culture was very formal and quiet.
A great learning experience
Assistant Manager/Manager of Payroll Accounting (Former Employee), Kansas City, MONovember 18, 2013
I really enjoyed my time at Kansas City Southern Railway. I learned so much about systems, unions, parallel testing, implementation, etc. My supervisor let me manage and did not get involved unless I asked him to. I really appreciated that.
Swing shifts
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAOctober 29, 2013
Work as team and individual in customer service center. Hours various from day to day. Great benefits.
Love working in Information Technology
Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee), Kansas CityAugust 31, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Cons: micro managed
After almost 30 years I still love working in IT. I love supporting SQL Server, Oracle, UDB LUW and UDB Z/OS. Overall I rate my work experience as "wouldn't want to miss it".
very demanding job with emphasis on time at work
Sr. Trainmaster (Former Employee), Jackson, MSSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: good compensation and healthcare
Cons: work/life balance predominately work.
Well paying job but effort is required. Most of your time is spent on conference calls and delegating work. Job requires 24x7 attention.
Flexible schedule, lack of management directions, good compensation
Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 5, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule, compensation
Cons: no direction, no direction from management
- no training program for new employees
- management gave little direction
- people were friendly
- process and procedures are questionable and need updating
- flexible schedule

June 5, 2013

how hard is it to get on? they have a secton laborer job posted. Im a custodian at the moment so anything is better then where im at.

Great place to work! Best employees, from train crews to trainmasters.
Train Crew Conductor (Former Employee), Wylie, TXMay 3, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: sometimes at home to long.
Very safe and aware co-workers. Learned team work and developed safe work habbits. The hardest part of the job was the long waits in sidings. The most enjoyable part was getting out their switching cars in the yard and the joy of mainline movement. Enjoyed the entire part of the job and cant wait to get back!