Kansas City Zoo Employee Reviews

Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 22, 2016
I would start cleaning the main bathrooms then move to the Education building, main building windows, floors, and tables. After lunch i would clean the auditorium by vacuuming. The bathrooms and main building would need to be cleaned again then i would oull trash and get off. I learned a lot about chemicals and how to clean properly and how to work as a team. The management was great and i learned a lot from them. My co workers welcomed me to the team and treated me good while i was there. The hardest part was taking out the trash because of the bees. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and being able to help
Pros
Job was on the bus line, I had a set schedule and tickets
Cons
working in the heat sometimes
As a keeper, Hard work but never boring
Animal Keeper (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 7, 2016
As a keeper, you learn a lot. There tends to be high turnover at least in animal department, not exactly sure why. Its a good place to start if your just coming out of college and want to gain animal experience.
Lots of rules unfortunately, and there is a chain of command. Most of the keepers are in there mid-late 20's and enjoy going out, making friends etc.
Awful/Worst Job Ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 28, 2016
It was awful and just terrible experience. It served as amazing customer service experience as well as experience with people of all ages including kids. Taught me things a cashier most likely needs to know. They were not understanding at all about personal life or family, which was hard to adjust to and horrible. Rude supervisors and managers, directors are SUPER friendly but supervisors and managers run like they own the place and very discriminatory.
Pros
kind directors, discount from gift shops/food, get to meet other great people, work with customer service and people of all ages and kids
Cons
30 minute break, discriminatory, racist, rude managers and supervisors, not understanding, awful
Zoo
Gard (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 8, 2016
Gardening at the zoo and working with customer service. The zoo wasn't super understanding about emergencies with family or personal life, which was one of the hardest things to adjust to. They also were not understanding about working around my other job's schedule which made working here difficult.

My coworkers were kind and friendly, for the most part. They made work enjoyable while the managers made it mostly miserable.

The HR department and higher managers within the zoo were friendly but direct supervisors were not.
its the zoo, how can it not be a fun place to work?
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 10, 2016
unless you work in the horticulture dept with the evil little miss manager, thats how. she is a complete idiot and absolutely no one you would want to work for. enough said.
Excellent
Educational Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2016
Absolutely loved working here, just wish it had been full time and that there had been benefits. Enjoyed interacting with guest both outside and inside the zoo, most employees very friendly and enjoy their jobs, enjoyed working with animals.
Pros
interacting with guest
Cons
no benefits
fantastic place to work in event planning with amazing staff
Corporate Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 26, 2015
the zoo was truly a fun job plus I got paid to plan corporate events -- what a great experience! Getting to hear lions roaring in the morning while we setup meeting tables is one of my best unique memories.
Fun Work Environment
Rides Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 26, 2015
The Kansas City Zoo has an organizational structure none like I have experienced before. The company provides a fun environment that is safe and educational for both guests and staff.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2015
I started volunteering at the Kansas City Zoo because I wanted to become a Zoologist at one point in my life. After awhile I grew tired of it and decided Zoology was not what I wanted to do, so I kept volunteering there for a school project. Overall it is a fun place to be, I personally just would never do it again mainly due to the fact that you make no money therefore its kind of hard to always be there when they need you to be because of other jobs that actually make money.One day though, when I am retired I would love to go back and volunteer just to give me something to do that is fun.
Pros
Get to be around animals
Cons
No money, too many hours needed
Fun and Fast
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 22, 2015
This is a fast moving work environment that requires alot of patience and skills and the ability to communicate. You just get tired of being on your feet all day
Productive work place that knew how to have fun
Giftshop;Cashier (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 8, 2012
a typical day at the Kansas City Zoo was to open both giftshops and make sure we clean and put money in the drawer before we opened. I learned alot about animals at the zoo and that was probaly the most enjoyable part of the zoo because you don't come in contact with these exotic animals outside the zoo. My co-workers and management were all girls , and we were all like family and wanted to make the best of our work shift everyday.
Friendly Environment
Assistant Rides Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 27, 2013
No two days at the Zoo are the same. Employees are challenged to improve their outstanding performance everyday. I have learned an exceesive amount in my time at the Kansas City Zoo. While my duties pertain to the Rides Department, my experience has lended me to numerous departments such as Maintenance, Security, Animal, Marketing, Guest Relations, Food and Beverage and more. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with performance demands for our guests. Maintaining a friendly relationship with my coworkers is reflected in my interaction with the Guests. Thus representing the excellence that is expected of our team.
Save all of your clips!
Marketing Manager  (Former Employee) –  Kansas CityMay 24, 2013
The Zoo has high turnover in this position as of the date of this post. First off, the writing is fun you will get great clips and meet great people. BUT Always keep yourself on the hunt. My department was incredibly disorganized. The web and e-news software was a major obstacle (and they know it). Even if you are an expert with computers and a good writer you will have issues. The help you will get from departmental management is insufficient. You will be more successful in this job after "the penguins come." There is a planned tech upgrade, so SOMEONE will get the tools to make this position work and become a success. HR is on your side. On a positive note the education staff is great, the animals are great, and the part-time workers are friendly. Good luck!
Pros
Writing samples, fun environment, networking
who would not like to work at a zoo
Catering Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 28, 2013
being around the animals was a perk that you must experience

my first real exposure to the catering world

upper management was clueless at times

the hardest part of the job was working outside in 100 degree weather

most enjoyable part was setting up a catering gig in parts of the zoo that was normally out of the public eye.
a productive and fun place to go on a outing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 23, 2014
It was some pretty cool days at work. I learned how to use a cash register. Some of the managers was pretty cool, and my co-workers was pretty cool too. There was nothing hard about the job, and the thing I enjoyed about the job was working with the people.
Money
Ticket Taker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 11, 2013
Enjoy seeing the smiles on the people face when they leaving and coming how to deal with different cultures the management was amazing the co workers was great it wasn't a hard put to the job the most enjoyable part is seeing the kids enjoy there self's
Pros
the workplace
Cons
the experience
fun place with lots of people and animals
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 29, 2012
My day consist of being a cashier and receiving money from customers and providing them with safe assistance for rides within the zoo.
Pros
nice people and free tickets
Cons
you are outside even when its freezing outside
My first job and I LOVED IT !!!
Food & Beverage Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 21, 2013
This was my very first job and I really loved it. The managers were very fair and nice as well as other employees. I would go back there to work if I had to
Pros
Free tickets
Cons
My position was only seasonal
fun but busy!
Lead (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 20, 2013
During the summer the Kansas City Zoo gets up to 12,000 people a day. These people all want to eat around the same time so the restaurants get extremely busy! It's a fast paced work environment that is difficult to keep up with for some. I learned a lot of patience and people skills working here. I was looked to as a leader and to handle the problems that arose throughout the day. Since the zoo employed mostly seasonal employees it was common to constantly have new people coming in that needed training. Some people were great while others had trouble handling the busy days. The hardest thing to deal with was the constant changes in management. For some reason, managers come and go very quickly at the zoo. Therefore the rules are constantly changing and new ideas are always coming and going. The best part of the job for me is staying busy. There isn't a lot of down time during the season so there is always something to do. I like staying busy.
Pros
Always something to do, fun people, working around animals.
Cons
Rarely got breaks, no benefits, constant management change.
Productive and fun workplace that allows you to meet new people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 16, 2014
I liked the ZOO. It was fun and you meet people from around the world.
Pros
free zoo entry
Cons
no free lunch short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas City Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.

Kansas City Zoo Reviews by Location