Kansas City Zoo Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace, Great for College Students
Rides Operator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 8, 2017
Working at the KC Zoo is a great summer job. Hours are flexible and there are many opportunities with their several departments. Some jobs are outdoors, which can be fun, but be sure to bring water and wear plenty of sunscreen. Management is great; we were always given what we needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the guests. Making someone's day is a great feeling. The worst part of the job is the clique-like feeling of the departments.
great, large zoo
Zookeeper (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 27, 2017
generally a good place to work
very competitive, hard to get full time even with experience
management generally works well together
a lot of exotic animals to gain experience with
Good job to work at
Intern zokeeper (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 24, 2017
Great job to work at. There is always someone there to help you when you have questions. There are a lot of skills that you learn everyday. Also, you will get to see how zookeepers train the animals and how enrichment is important for the animals.
Rewarding Job
Volunteer Animal Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 30, 2017
Very rewarding job, but very intense workloads. Nice coworkers and management, very helpful. Competitive to move up in position. There are perks and benefits of working here if you like visiting the zoo.
I loved it all
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 28, 2017
I loved working the Kansas City Zoo I had fun moving between rides and loved running everything from sky sifari to the 105ft 5in tram. . It takes a bit for you to move from ride to ride and get to really learn how they run but I made it through all d the rides within10 months.. great coworkers and loving environment. .. just have to be willing to be in the elements and not mind it being cold or hot.. and have a positive out look ... it's better then WOF were you really had no freedom to get a different ride or go to the bathroom when needed. .. if I didn't have the job I have now I would always go back to the KC zoo..
Pros
Freedom of expression great guest, management
Cons
Ignorant staff or guests
Fun and productive work place
cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 2, 2017
They are great help you with your schedule . They offer good benefits . They also offer a 10% of discount to there employs. And a 1hour break and free rides around there work place
Pros
10% off
Cons
Short breaks
Just monkeying around
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 30, 2017
This is a job for social people as well as people who enjoy meeting new people from all over the world. I got to meet a man from Russia, exchange students from Japan, a couple from Berlin and many more. Being able to talk to these people and take photos for them for scrapbooks. Of course you have to use the sales pitch which is basically a script.
Pros
free entrance to the zoo for you and someone else and free rides all unlimited, meet new people, friendly staff, seeing the animals on breaks
Cons
short breaks, lucky to get a 15 minute break, standing in direct sunlight
Fun place to work, and flexible
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 20, 2017
Definitely a fun place to work, staff is fun and so are the kids that come in. Big perk are the animals and you get in for free. You also get employee discounts for food aswell.
Pros
Free admission, discounts and animals!!
Cons
Youll be placed in a job you didnt sign up for if its busy enough
Great experience, great organization
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 13, 2017
I have really enjoyed my time working as an event coordinator at the kansas city zoo. There has been a lot of internal staffing changes (specifically at the director level). Overall, my job is fun and challenging. The pay is not great, but there are potential opportunities for advancement.
Easy and fun
Rides Attendant/Operator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 13, 2016
Typical day working rides means dealing with a lot of people who lack common sense, and don't listen or pay attention. I learned that a lot of people were not ready to be parents. Management is great. Co-workers are great. Hardest part of the job is customers. Most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers.
Pros
Get to see animals and take the ride
Cons
Breaks are too early
its the zoo, how can it not be a fun place to work?
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 10, 2016
unless you work in the horticulture dept with the evil little miss manager, thats how. she is a complete idiot and absolutely no one you would want to work for. enough said.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 22, 2016
I would start cleaning the main bathrooms then move to the Education building, main building windows, floors, and tables. After lunch i would clean the auditorium by vacuuming. The bathrooms and main building would need to be cleaned again then i would oull trash and get off. I learned a lot about chemicals and how to clean properly and how to work as a team. The management was great and i learned a lot from them. My co workers welcomed me to the team and treated me good while i was there. The hardest part was taking out the trash because of the bees. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and being able to help
Pros
Job was on the bus line, I had a set schedule and tickets
Cons
working in the heat sometimes
As a keeper, Hard work but never boring
Animal Keeper (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 7, 2016
As a keeper, you learn a lot. There tends to be high turnover at least in animal department, not exactly sure why. Its a good place to start if your just coming out of college and want to gain animal experience.
Lots of rules unfortunately, and there is a chain of command. Most of the keepers are in there mid-late 20's and enjoy going out, making friends etc.
Awful/Worst Job Ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 28, 2016
It was awful and just terrible experience. It served as amazing customer service experience as well as experience with people of all ages including kids. Taught me things a cashier most likely needs to know. They were not understanding at all about personal life or family, which was hard to adjust to and horrible. Rude supervisors and managers, directors are SUPER friendly but supervisors and managers run like they own the place and very discriminatory.
Pros
kind directors, discount from gift shops/food, get to meet other great people, work with customer service and people of all ages and kids
Cons
30 minute break, discriminatory, racist, rude managers and supervisors, not understanding, awful
Zoo
Gard (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 8, 2016
Gardening at the zoo and working with customer service. The zoo wasn't super understanding about emergencies with family or personal life, which was one of the hardest things to adjust to. They also were not understanding about working around my other job's schedule which made working here difficult.

My coworkers were kind and friendly, for the most part. They made work enjoyable while the managers made it mostly miserable.

The HR department and higher managers within the zoo were friendly but direct supervisors were not.
Excellent
Educational Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2016
Absolutely loved working here, just wish it had been full time and that there had been benefits. Enjoyed interacting with guest both outside and inside the zoo, most employees very friendly and enjoy their jobs, enjoyed working with animals.
Pros
interacting with guest
Cons
no benefits
Fun Work Environment
Rides Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 26, 2015
The Kansas City Zoo has an organizational structure none like I have experienced before. The company provides a fun environment that is safe and educational for both guests and staff.
Fun and Fast
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 22, 2015
This is a fast moving work environment that requires alot of patience and skills and the ability to communicate. You just get tired of being on your feet all day
fantastic place to work in event planning with amazing staff
Corporate Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 26, 2015
the zoo was truly a fun job plus I got paid to plan corporate events -- what a great experience! Getting to hear lions roaring in the morning while we setup meeting tables is one of my best unique memories.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2015
I started volunteering at the Kansas City Zoo because I wanted to become a Zoologist at one point in my life. After awhile I grew tired of it and decided Zoology was not what I wanted to do, so I kept volunteering there for a school project. Overall it is a fun place to be, I personally just would never do it again mainly due to the fact that you make no money therefore its kind of hard to always be there when they need you to be because of other jobs that actually make money.One day though, when I am retired I would love to go back and volunteer just to give me something to do that is fun.
Pros
Get to be around animals
Cons
No money, too many hours needed