Kansas State University Employee Reviews

Corrupt
Programming Board Chair (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSDecember 17, 2017
Place was a corrupt mess. when challenged to take moral course nobody would take accountability for their actions. frequent backstabbing. No trust, and no guarantee of deserved recognition for work done.
Pros
School job so can get out of things for school
Cons
Terrible people if you have a conscience
Productive Workplace, but no benefits as a student employee
Student (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 6, 2017
I loved my jobs at K-State, but as a Full-Time student you are limited to a maximum of 30hrs a week between ALL jobs at the University (not at each separately). As a part-time student, you can only work 16hrs. The University will not let you work over that and refuses to pay overtime hours. There are no benefits or compensation as a student employee/part-time employee.

However, the atmosphere is wonderful here - hence why I continued working for the University as a student. Pay raises were with promotions, and were fair for being as student.
Pros
Atmosphere, Management
Cons
Benefits, Compensation, Hours allowed to work/overtime.
Needs more shared governance
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 29, 2017
University administration rarely listens to the concerns of its faculty members. It seems as if they are more interested in increasing endowments than faculty/staff pay. Otherwise, the students are conscientious and the faculty are approachable and friendly.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Low pay, faculty must pay for parking and rec center privileges.
State University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 28, 2017
Funding and salaries are based on the state's budget, if it is not passed certain positions on campus will be furloughed. Overall, it is a good place to work and learn.
Great University with good people to work with
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 24, 2017
i attended this university as an undergraduate and continuously worked with numerous faculty and staff there. Each was helpful and there was never a lack of communication.
Fun place to work at while in college
Sports Editor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 8, 2017
Real-life experience while in college. Working on tight deadlines with other students. A good chance to try different roles and find something you like if you decide to pursue this as a career.
Why do I have to write this
Lead Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 7, 2017
I think it is rediculuos that this is a required field. I have to get to 150 characters so I am still here at my desk typing this silly little mundane thing. There. That is over 150
An interesting place to work
Space Coordinator & Database Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 1, 2017
There is a lot happening on the job and the staff has to do more with less. The university is going through an internal reorganization. The staff is challenged with by constantly shifting need of the students.
Pros
Educational Opportunities
Cons
Changes with out changing anything.
Good and Bad
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 21, 2017
Varies wildly depending on your supervisor and department. Management can be excellent or atrocious, much like other large organizations. Working in academia has its own special quirks.
Benefits
Cons
Few pay raises and limited advancment opportunity
I was a graduate teaching assistant so a pretty limit view
Teaching Assistant (TA) in Kinesiology (Former Employee) –  ManhaOctober 4, 2017
As a graduate teaching assistant, I don't have a strong opinion of what is like working for this institution, just one department.
From that point of view it was great. I did not have to pay tuition, got a small monthly pay check, and teaching experience.
Pros
no tuition
Cons
Wonderful place surrounded by eager workers
Fitness Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 4, 2017
The workplace culture was a wonderful caring space with management who took time to make sure you were being treated fairly and getting what I wanted out of the job
Great Institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 6, 2017
I was here as a graduate student and they know how to take care of you. Assistantships are great, professors are wonderful, and the morale is always high.
First Postdoc Job after obtaining PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 4, 2017
Working at KSU as a postdoctoral scholar was similar to working as a graduate student but with more management duties. Most days were rather slow going. The lab work was not incredibly challenging but the resources were limited and training opportunities were not available. I learned a few new skills in chemical synthesis. The workplace was a bit crowded and untidy, plus the lab equipment seemed to not be set for a new member in the lab. The most enjoyable part of the job though was the freedom to work on experiments within a reasonable time frame. The most challenging part of the job was the lack of direction from my boss. I am an independent worker most of the time, but I do require a starting point that is in the interest of the research group....
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, reasonable work schedule
Cons
Lack of direction, lack of needed glassware, very short appointment
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 10, 2017
As a GTA in the Art department, I was treated as both a student and colleague, which is very typical in such situations. Department Head was okay, however, tried very little to get to know the graduate students. As always, there were some faculty that were not helpful, but most were willing to meet with students and help them with their work.
Horrible Compensation for graduate students
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 2, 2017
The school is fine, and my department and colleagues are great, but the governor has run the state into the ground. Graduate students are paid pennies (pretty typical) and are not provided with any other benefits other than a health insurance plan which covers nothing.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Everything else
nice place
Assistant Director - Career Services (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 24, 2017
enjoyed collaborating with co workers and working on special projects. enjoyed the social scene outside of work and the nature filled experiences that the area had to offer.
Wild Cats!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 13, 2017
Good place. Manhattan as a town isn't somewhere that I would want to live long term. There isn't a lot to do outside the university circle. Not a strong young professional population.
I dont want to write this but it wont let me continue without doing it
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 9, 2017
show up at work, learn to deal with people in frustrating circumstances sometimes, management is fine, workplace culture is too liberal (its a university), hardest part is grading labs when you dont want to, most enjoyable part is teaching labs because its easy pay for the time/effort put in
Great place for full time students
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KS 66502July 7, 2017
K-State offers great job opportunities for full-time students. Parking Services offers a friendly work environment with great management. A typical day involves handling disgruntled customers and managing their payments. Answering phones and computer work is also a part of the job.
Pros
Great place to get homework done
Cons
Parking is not discounted and minimum wage
Kansas State
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 6, 2017
Great place to work. Staff are friendly and focused on student growth. As GTA you will work a lot and be expected to continue to earn high marks. If your work or grades are sub-par you may lose your stipend or GTA position.
Pros
Free schooling, stipend
Cons
Long work hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4