Kansas State University

Kansas State University Employee Reviews

Fantastic Educational Instituation
Community Assistant, Strong Community (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 4, 2016
Great campus, quality education, perfect balanced college environment. As an employee at the residence halls, I worked in a relaxed environment with a lot of face-to-face interaction with students. My supervisors had clear and reasonable expectations and were very approachable.
Great people and atmosphere
Dish room worker at Kansas State University (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 4, 2016
Every day, I would eat dinner before work started with my coworkers. Ended up being great friends. I was in line to become a supervisor.
A day would typically be: washing various types of dishes depending on what station I was attending to. Then after work, sweep and mopping the dining area.
Pros
Flexible hours
Creating lectures for 65 students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 15, 2015
A typical day included Preparing laboratory activities and creating lectures for 65 students. Posting online supporting material, weekly quizzes, and pre-lab assignments. Assessing students’ knowledge through examinations. Grading course work while also maintaining online grades.
Pros
Working with students
Overall good working atmosphere.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 13, 2015
Working atmosphere is great.I learned how to work in organized and timely way. Management was good.I found hardworking and dedicated friends.
Typical State University science department
Professor, Molecular/ Cellular Bio (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 1, 2015
K-State is a great University. The college environment is fun and has a wide range of academic opportunities. As a faculty member in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology I enjoyed the support of peers and University facilities.
Pros
college town life
Cons
middle of Kansas can be limited
Undergraduate Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 10, 2015
This was a good place to work. the only low ratings were because it was a student position. I haven't worked there full time so I cannot comment on it.
Fun workplace
Planning Analyst (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 4, 2015
Compile records in excel using pivot tables and adobe acrobat files. Use VLOOKUPs to find and fill data for university reports.
Convert old reports from paper to electronic.
I grew in my knowledge of how to work with Microsoft Office and using different formulas in excel to come up with different filtered results.
Management was excellent. Kind, caring, and knowledgeable.
My co-workers were my supervisors and one other student worker. They were fun to work with and i enjoyed seeing them everyday.
The hardest part of the job was probably going over to a different building to the storage and bringing them back to convert them to electronic files.
The most enjoyable part was doing projects to fill reports for the university for different data inputs like student headcount, or Salary reports.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Work Life Balance
University Employee (Current Employee) –  Kansas State UniversityNovember 3, 2015
K-State offers work life balance with 8-5 schedule. Benefits are great but they don't make up for the low compensation and lack of pay increases.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Pay
Productive laboratory investigating the behavioral and neural mechanisms of drug abuse and depression
Graduate Research Assistant and Primary Instructor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 16, 2015
Friendly laboratory environment working under the principal investigator of a federally-funded research grant. Full of undergraduate and graduate research assistants working as a team to conduct, evaluate, and present scientific findings.
USDA and Kansas State University
Biochemical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  USDA 1515 College Ave, Manhattan, KSOctober 14, 2015
This was a great entre level place to work and develop skills.
I found everyone very helpful and a joy to work with.
I frankly wish I had stayed longer at the USDA.
Pros
Location to family
Cons
Noisey students.
Positive working environment
DATABASE/MODIFICATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 24, 2015
The management was very helpful with learning how to properly complete my tasks and gave me feedback when needed. I worked with and communicated with all departments at the university along with federal, state, and local agencies in order to complete my reports. It was neat to see up and coming inventions and what research was being focused on.
Pros
Supportive work environment, Campus ammenities, Witness new and improving ideas
Great caring group of people to work with
Public Speaking GTA (Current Employee) –  Manhattan KSSeptember 18, 2015
As a Public Speaking GTA you a very well taken care of. The tuition compensation alone makes the job position perfect for a graduate student.
Good University to work for with great culture
IMSE Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 3, 2015
This was a good place to work with challenging projects and tasks. It was a positive work environment with great energy. There is a great network of people with fantastic experience. It was enjoyable to work with such talented individuals. I learned a lot and shared a lot as well. It was difficult to manage with a tight budget.
Pros
Slow during summer months and holidays, Positive atmosphere.
Cons
Compensation, parking.
Nice Play
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan KansasSeptember 2, 2015
People at this school are genuinely nice. The buildings and scenery are very pretty. The only downside is that there is a lot of construction all the time.
Family-friendly workplace
Project Coordinator and Affiliate Faculty (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 27, 2015
The best part of my job was having such a family-friendly supervisor. However, leadership at the department-level was lacking and there was limited opportunity for advancement.
Overall Wonderful
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 8, 2015
Working in the soybean breeding program and for Kansas State University has been a wonderful experience. While certain times of the year are busier than others there is always something going on and something to learn.
Pros
Wonderful envrionment
Cons
Low compensation for graduate students
A general university lab job
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 24, 2015
General University lab job that follow the guidance of the professor. Your job content varies a lot that follow the research thesis of the graduate student.
Its a good university, not the top, but good
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 5, 2015
I learnt a lot of things. Co-workers were great, but compensation was really bad. I think if it is a great place for undergraduate education. Even graduate school is decent. But due to lack of funds, postdoctoral research sucks. Most of the projects are not funded. Not recommended for pursuing postdoctoral research.
Pros
You can learn a lot
Cons
Low salaries for postdocs
Great place!
Graduate Research Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Department of EntomologyJune 2, 2015
My experience and memories about working in the university are superb. The atmosphere is great mainly due to a great number of international people. The university cares equally about the quality of life of workers and students. The benefits offered were also good. This is a great place to work.
Small and quiet place for research
Graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 24, 2015
Although it is a small town, which might be boring for some people, I enjoyed living there a lot.Two hour drive from Kansas City.

4.5