Kansas State University

Kansas State University Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Planning Analyst (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 4, 2015
Compile records in excel using pivot tables and adobe acrobat files. Use VLOOKUPs to find and fill data for university reports.
Convert old reports from paper to electronic.
I grew in my knowledge of how to work with Microsoft Office and using different formulas in excel to come up with different filtered results.
Management was excellent. Kind, caring, and knowledgeable.
My co-workers were my supervisors and one other student worker. They were fun to work with and i enjoyed seeing them everyday.
The hardest part of the job was probably going over to a different building to the storage and bringing them back to convert them to electronic files.
The most enjoyable part was doing projects to fill reports for the university for different data inputs like student headcount, or Salary reports.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Good place
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 28, 2014
Typical day: Go to work at 8:00 am, get in the lab prepare things that will be needed, check all the instruments make sure they are running well. Have lunch, take a nap, then go to lab do experiments and collect data. Organize the data and put into weekly report. When a lab teaching is scheduled, I teaching the labs and instruct students.
What I learned: Scientific thinking and the way to look at a problem, and problem solving skills.
Co-workers: we have a really good relationship, we hang out and have fun.
Hardest part: Creativity, we need to read numerous of papers that are related to our research, and need to think of some new way to make the research better.
Most enjoyable part: Get recognized and awarded because we did a nice research.
Learned while teaching
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 28, 2012
It was a good learning experience which taught me to gain confidence in myself . Designing a course on my own had its own challenges. The good thing about a teaching job is instant feedback. I have always liked interacting with people as a result teaching was a fun experience. Teaching also helped me improve the impact factor of my Powerpoint slides. GTA experience does imply a lot of juggling between my own course load and lecture preparation for classes I had to teach. I had 130 students and more in the sections I taught and since that meant a lot of grading that I had to do, time management is a skill that came in handy.
Pros
learnt a lot
A good place to study and people here are lovely
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 29, 2015
My job here is as a graduate research assistant. I worked on monitoring and managing surface water quality in impaired Kansas watersheds, with emphasis on cyanobacteria blooms and the corresponding management strategies.I have learned the key concepts, principles and practices in environmental engineering, and become acquainted with issues like erosion and sediment control, and storm water and waste water management design.
I like Kansas State University, it has the most lovely people and the happiest students. I enjoy my study and work here and also working with the people here.
Place where you can gain knowledge with lots of fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 8, 2013
Gained extensive knowledge and hands on experience in extrusion processing, sensory analysis, food chemistry and milling. It was fun working with people at various levels of experience and from different cultures. Apart from sharing knowledge, this helped me to improve my communication as well as people skills. The most challenging part was to balance the work life schedule with job, research and classes to actively participate in various clubs and community services. And this was the fun part too participating in various departmental and club activities with all my friends.
Fun job, loved working with the soldiers.
Part-time nurse (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KansasJuly 12, 2014
.  Worked on a project entitled, "Evaluation of Personal Cooling Systems for Soldiers," sponsored by the U.S. Army. Instrumented and dressed human subjects for 2-hour exercise trials in a hot environmental chamber. Monitored subjects during the session and dealt with heat stress incidents. Measured the metabolic rate and oxygen consumption of subjects using a MET cart. After the session, assisted subjects with the removal of their sensors and clothing. Cleaned lab for the next session.
Positive working environment
DATABASE/MODIFICATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 24, 2015
The management was very helpful with learning how to properly complete my tasks and gave me feedback when needed. I worked with and communicated with all departments at the university along with federal, state, and local agencies in order to complete my reports. It was neat to see up and coming inventions and what research was being focused on.
Pros
Supportive work environment, Campus ammenities, Witness new and improving ideas
Good University to work for with great culture
IMSE Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 3, 2015
This was a good place to work with challenging projects and tasks. It was a positive work environment with great energy. There is a great network of people with fantastic experience. It was enjoyable to work with such talented individuals. I learned a lot and shared a lot as well. It was difficult to manage with a tight budget.
Pros
Slow during summer months and holidays, Positive atmosphere.
Cons
Compensation, parking.
KSU Grad School.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 27, 2013
Excellent teachers, very hard working people. Dedicated staff that is reliable and always available. Varied and industrially relavent research opportunities abound, as well teaching positions.
Pros
very modern engineering complex, great teacher:student ratio in core classes, a wide variety of highly technical and specialized test equipment available on daily basis
Cons
cold cold winters, hot hot summers (ks)
Great student job and schedule
Student employee Financial Aid Office (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 18, 2012
Every minute I wasn't in class, I was working in the Financial Aid Office. I was on campus Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm as a full time student and full time employee. I loved working on campus. It was definitely convenient and they worked with my class schedule.
Pros
convenient; fun co-workers
Cons
had to leave when i graduated; as a work study position, i had no benefits.
I worked for Ratio Christi, not K-State
Ratio Christi Chapter Director (Former Employee) –  K-StateNovember 10, 2014
The company possessed very poor management abilities and it was beyond being able to deal with effectively, so I left the company. It was also a support raised position so I didn't make barely any money at all.
Pros
great atmosphere on campus with the students, loved being in charge of the events and chapter meetings.
Cons
poor leadership from the outside and pay was horrible.
Its a good university, not the top, but good
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 5, 2015
I learnt a lot of things. Co-workers were great, but compensation was really bad. I think if it is a great place for undergraduate education. Even graduate school is decent. But due to lack of funds, postdoctoral research sucks. Most of the projects are not funded. Not recommended for pursuing postdoctoral research.
Pros
You can learn a lot
Cons
Low salaries for postdocs
Good university, bad state
Instructor (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 8, 2015
I had the opportunity to study and work at K-State, all good experiences except for the fact that research assistants do not have tuition waiver and salaries were not enough to cover then. My area of knowledge also does not have as much funding available, so job security was a problem. In addition, recently the economic crises in the state resulted in cut of funding for education...
Productive laboratory investigating the behavioral and neural mechanisms of drug abuse and depression
Graduate Research Assistant and Primary Instructor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 16, 2015
Friendly laboratory environment working under the principal investigator of a federally-funded research grant. Full of undergraduate and graduate research assistants working as a team to conduct, evaluate, and present scientific findings.
Coach and recruiting of quality athletes
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 21, 2012
All day everyday. You are still on duty when you leave the office. The level of basketball knowledge may no rise just because you are a college basketball coach. Everything area is managed very business like. No stones left unturned. Beibg on call 24 hours a day. Traveling around to play in many different arenas.
Pros
salary, travel.
Cons
on call 24/7
Great place to be creative with solutions
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 6, 2014
Because this is an academic research position, there are many opportunities to try out many different creative solutions. It's difficult to manage school/work especially when trying to coordinate with others who are doing the same. At the same time, it has been nice to be able to focus on my studies while maintaining a position at the university.
Outstanding University
Full-Time Distance Education Student (Current Employee) –  Distance EducationMay 20, 2012
The Professors and Instructors I have had the honor working with as a student of theirs has been unquestionably some of the best experiences I have had. I have learned more about myself, and our world as a collective whole in the recent past.

Education gives us our strength to find who we are, stand proud, and become active in all facets in life.
Great work environment but low advancement potential
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 20, 2014
As an employee with only a Master's degree, it is difficult to advance as a researcher. The job is very challenging and I work with researchers in all different disciplines which is very enjoyable. Great colleagues and opportunities to travel internationally.
Pros
collaboration with multiple disciplines
Cons
poor compensation
Great place to gain experience
Graduate Assistant Counselor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 26, 2012
My time with the KSU Athletic Department has been great. They have allowed me to learn a lot of skills, development some of my own programs to implement and have worked around my course work needs while I have worked on my Masters degree. I am proud to have been a part of KSU Athletics as a Graduate Assistant Counselor.
Pros
people
Cons
short breaks
Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 25, 2013
Very friendly and diverse staff

Strong commitment to furthering veterinary medicine and research

Strong community. It was very common for research labs to share their facilities allowing broad access to top-notch equipment

Manhattan has a small town feel while still having some of the cultural opportunities of a larger city.

4.5