Kansas State University

Kansas State University Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent working environment
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 14, 2016
K-State provides outstanding opportunities to explore different career paths and obtain hands-on experience that can help you succeed in the work market after graduation.
Pros
A great variety of volunteer internships.
Cons
Located in a small town.
Mediocre
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 4, 2016
Mediocre at best I would certainly not recommend taking the position I occupied if this is any indication of how things are run here.
Fun workplace with flexible scheduling
Solutions Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 23, 2016
Many of my tasks had weekly deadlines and if work was finished before that deadline the rest of the work week would be spent getting a head start on next weeks work or other items. It could be hectic at times but was mostly a relaxed environment.
Productive and Fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 11, 2016
The job was great. We were busy, helpful with students and the bonus was free food.

Typical day involved talking with student, research, filing, phone calls, data entry, recruting, aiding in assignements for professors, and compiling information using Access.
Pros
Free coffee, free food
Peer Advisor at Financial aid office
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 7, 2016
The culture wasn't an Ideal situation for advancing any skills. It could be hard to get across to upper management what needed fixed or improved.All very nice people I worked with. Some people have been in their position for a long time and were very knowledgeable.
Great work environment, pay leaves more to be desired
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 6, 2016
Overall a good experience, as far as teaching intro level labs, and tutoring students, go, the student body is typically very willing to learn.
Supportive coworkers, plenty of interesting research projects
Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 23, 2016
A day involves making sure all instruments are up and running.
New users are trained regularly and often users need help with a new experiment set up.
The most enjoyable to is watch students learn and have fun with the data they acquire.
Pleasant atmosphere and great people to work with!
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 16, 2016
I've worked here for 12 years or so and love the people that I work with. I think that the hardest part of the job is working with people with so many different personalities and work styles. It's definitely a personal learning moment to figure out how to work with everyone.
Benefits
Awesome
Certified Pilates Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 13, 2016
They give you the work they promise. They have great staff. I am part time so I don't get benefits. The hardest part is making sure I bring a good class.
Fun productive atmosphere
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 4, 2016
Easy going fast pace at special times of the year such as open house, career fairs, and finals. I really enjoyed working hear as a student.
Pros
Flexible for student workers
Fantastic Educational Instituation
Community Assistant, Strong Community (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 4, 2016
Great campus, quality education, perfect balanced college environment. As an employee at the residence halls, I worked in a relaxed environment with a lot of face-to-face interaction with students. My supervisors had clear and reasonable expectations and were very approachable.
Great people and atmosphere
Dish room worker at Kansas State University (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 4, 2016
Every day, I would eat dinner before work started with my coworkers. Ended up being great friends. I was in line to become a supervisor.
A day would typically be: washing various types of dishes depending on what station I was attending to. Then after work, sweep and mopping the dining area.
Pros
Flexible hours
Creating lectures for 65 students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 15, 2015
A typical day included Preparing laboratory activities and creating lectures for 65 students. Posting online supporting material, weekly quizzes, and pre-lab assignments. Assessing students’ knowledge through examinations. Grading course work while also maintaining online grades.
Pros
Working with students
Overall good working atmosphere.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 13, 2015
Working atmosphere is great.I learned how to work in organized and timely way. Management was good.I found hardworking and dedicated friends.
Typical State University science department
Professor, Molecular/ Cellular Bio (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 1, 2015
K-State is a great University. The college environment is fun and has a wide range of academic opportunities. As a faculty member in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology I enjoyed the support of peers and University facilities.
Pros
college town life
Cons
middle of Kansas can be limited
Undergraduate Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 10, 2015
This was a good place to work. the only low ratings were because it was a student position. I haven't worked there full time so I cannot comment on it.
Fun workplace
Planning Analyst (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 4, 2015
Compile records in excel using pivot tables and adobe acrobat files. Use VLOOKUPs to find and fill data for university reports.
Convert old reports from paper to electronic.
I grew in my knowledge of how to work with Microsoft Office and using different formulas in excel to come up with different filtered results.
Management was excellent. Kind, caring, and knowledgeable.
My co-workers were my supervisors and one other student worker. They were fun to work with and i enjoyed seeing them everyday.
The hardest part of the job was probably going over to a different building to the storage and bringing them back to convert them to electronic files.
The most enjoyable part was doing projects to fill reports for the university for different data inputs like student headcount, or Salary reports.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Work Life Balance
University Employee (Current Employee) –  Kansas State UniversityNovember 3, 2015
K-State offers work life balance with 8-5 schedule. Benefits are great but they don't make up for the low compensation and lack of pay increases.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Pay
Productive laboratory investigating the behavioral and neural mechanisms of drug abuse and depression
Graduate Research Assistant and Primary Instructor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 16, 2015
Friendly laboratory environment working under the principal investigator of a federally-funded research grant. Full of undergraduate and graduate research assistants working as a team to conduct, evaluate, and present scientific findings.
USDA and Kansas State University
Biochemical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  USDA 1515 College Ave, Manhattan, KSOctober 14, 2015
This was a great entre level place to work and develop skills.
I found everyone very helpful and a joy to work with.
I frankly wish I had stayed longer at the USDA.
Pros
Location to family
Cons
Noisey students.

4.5