Kansas State University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace
Planning Analyst (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 4, 2015
Compile records in excel using pivot tables and adobe acrobat files. Use VLOOKUPs to find and fill data for university reports.
Convert old reports from paper to electronic.
I grew in my knowledge of how to work with Microsoft Office and using different formulas in excel to come up with different filtered results.
Management was excellent. Kind, caring, and knowledgeable.
My co-workers were my supervisors and one other student worker. They were fun to work with and i enjoyed seeing them everyday.
The hardest part of the job was probably going over to a different building to the storage and bringing them back to convert them to electronic files.
The most enjoyable part was doing projects to fill reports for the university for different data inputs like student headcount, or Salary reports.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Pleasant atmosphere and great people to work with!
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 16, 2016
I've worked here for 12 years or so and love the people that I work with. I think that the hardest part of the job is working with people with so many different personalities and work styles. It's definitely a personal learning moment to figure out how to work with everyone.
Benefits
Awesome
Certified Pilates Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 13, 2016
They give you the work they promise. They have great staff. I am part time so I don't get benefits. The hardest part is making sure I bring a good class.
Work Life Balance
University Employee (Current Employee) –  Kansas State UniversityNovember 3, 2015
K-State offers work life balance with 8-5 schedule. Benefits are great but they don't make up for the low compensation and lack of pay increases.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Pay
Non-exempt positions are treated very poorly by admin & faculty.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 24, 2016
Being a KSU grad I was very excited to return to Manhattan and apply my education and career experience as an employee of KSU. I regret this move greatly now. Unless you are employed in an exempt position (faculty, research assoc, upper admin) you are treated as if you do not matter. Raises, though given to exempt positions, are non-existent for non-exempt employees. This makes it near impossible to keep up with normal cost-of-living increases that occur for all citizens. Department heads have no clue how to run a business office and have free reign to do whatever they want, often unjustly and very biased. Forget about respect, collaboration or a friendly work culture. The worst place I have ever been employed by and though this is heart breaking for me, it is truth.
Pros
Sadly, nothing.
Cons
The culture, treatment and perception of non-exempt employees.
Good University to work for with great culture
IMSE Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 3, 2015
This was a good place to work with challenging projects and tasks. It was a positive work environment with great energy. There is a great network of people with fantastic experience. It was enjoyable to work with such talented individuals. I learned a lot and shared a lot as well. It was difficult to manage with a tight budget.
Pros
Slow during summer months and holidays, Positive atmosphere.
Cons
Compensation, parking.
Peer Advisor at Financial aid office
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 7, 2016
The culture wasn't an Ideal situation for advancing any skills. It could be hard to get across to upper management what needed fixed or improved.All very nice people I worked with. Some people have been in their position for a long time and were very knowledgeable.
Great caring group of people to work with
Public Speaking GTA (Current Employee) –  Manhattan KSSeptember 18, 2015
As a Public Speaking GTA you a very well taken care of. The tuition compensation alone makes the job position perfect for a graduate student.
Standard University GTA program
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 1, 2016
As a graduate teaching assistant my work responsibilities and hours varied. I enjoyed teaching and grading assignments. The management is wonderful and involved. I don't have any coworkers. The hardest part of the job was working to provide grades quickly while working on my own schoolwork.
Pros
tuition assistance, work at school, easy going management
Cons
weird hours, off and on
A great place to work while going to school. Kansas State offers many on-campus jobs for students.
Research Assistant and Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed working at Kansas State University during my undergraduate education. The job I held correlates to the degree I graduated with and promotes my professional experience in the field I wish to pursue.
Affordable nice environment nice school
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 19, 2016
Nice campus, cheap housing, friendly environment. Lots of church activities. Most of my co-workers are from Asian and middle east. Campus parking available most of the time and school shuttle commute back and forth from campus to university housing area.
Pros
Cheap housing
Cons
Small city, limited job opportunity.
Overall Wonderful
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 8, 2015
Working in the soybean breeding program and for Kansas State University has been a wonderful experience. While certain times of the year are busier than others there is always something going on and something to learn.
Pros
Wonderful envrionment
Cons
Low compensation for graduate students
Its a good university, not the top, but good
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 5, 2015
I learnt a lot of things. Co-workers were great, but compensation was really bad. I think if it is a great place for undergraduate education. Even graduate school is decent. But due to lack of funds, postdoctoral research sucks. Most of the projects are not funded. Not recommended for pursuing postdoctoral research.
Pros
You can learn a lot
Cons
Low salaries for postdocs
excellent job
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 11, 2016
a typical day at work consists of cleaning bathrooms and emptying the trash. I learned alot about cleaning and working as a team by working here. Management is really excellent at Kstate. The co workers are excellent to work with and i have made some friends by working there.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 24, 2016
Kansas State University is a great place to work. They have excellent benefits and a dynamic academic atmosphere. There is room for advancement for excellent employees.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
job security due to state wide budget cuts
Excellent working environment
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 14, 2016
K-State provides outstanding opportunities to explore different career paths and obtain hands-on experience that can help you succeed in the work market after graduation.
Pros
A great variety of volunteer internships.
Cons
Located in a small town.
Fun workplace with flexible scheduling
Solutions Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 23, 2016
Many of my tasks had weekly deadlines and if work was finished before that deadline the rest of the work week would be spent getting a head start on next weeks work or other items. It could be hectic at times but was mostly a relaxed environment.
productive
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 30, 2016
very good place for learning and people are very nice. good campus. good advisors , I enjoyed alot being there. Manager and advisors are very nice and try to teach every thing they know
Great place!
Graduate Research Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Department of EntomologyJune 2, 2015
My experience and memories about working in the university are superb. The atmosphere is great mainly due to a great number of international people. The university cares equally about the quality of life of workers and students. The benefits offered were also good. This is a great place to work.
Productive and Fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 11, 2016
The job was great. We were busy, helpful with students and the bonus was free food.

Typical day involved talking with student, research, filing, phone calls, data entry, recruting, aiding in assignements for professors, and compiling information using Access.
Pros
Free coffee, free food

4.5