Kansas State University Employee Reviews

Good and Bad
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 21, 2017
Varies wildly depending on your supervisor and department. Management can be excellent or atrocious, much like other large organizations. Working in academia has its own special quirks.
Benefits
Cons
Few pay raises and limited advancment opportunity
I was a graduate teaching assistant so a pretty limit view
Teaching Assistant (TA) in Kinesiology (Former Employee) –  ManhaOctober 4, 2017
As a graduate teaching assistant, I don't have a strong opinion of what is like working for this institution, just one department.
From that point of view it was great. I did not have to pay tuition, got a small monthly pay check, and teaching experience.
Pros
no tuition
Cons
Wonderful place surrounded by eager workers
Fitness Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 4, 2017
The workplace culture was a wonderful caring space with management who took time to make sure you were being treated fairly and getting what I wanted out of the job
Great Institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 6, 2017
I was here as a graduate student and they know how to take care of you. Assistantships are great, professors are wonderful, and the morale is always high.
First Postdoc Job after obtaining PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 4, 2017
Working at KSU as a postdoctoral scholar was similar to working as a graduate student but with more management duties. Most days were rather slow going. The lab work was not incredibly challenging but the resources were limited and training opportunities were not available. I learned a few new skills in chemical synthesis. The workplace was a bit crowded and untidy, plus the lab equipment seemed to not be set for a new member in the lab. The most enjoyable part of the job though was the freedom to work on experiments within a reasonable time frame. The most challenging part of the job was the lack of direction from my boss. I am an independent worker most of the time, but I do require a starting point that is in the interest of the research group....
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, reasonable work schedule
Cons
Lack of direction, lack of needed glassware, very short appointment
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 10, 2017
As a GTA in the Art department, I was treated as both a student and colleague, which is very typical in such situations. Department Head was okay, however, tried very little to get to know the graduate students. As always, there were some faculty that were not helpful, but most were willing to meet with students and help them with their work.
Horrible Compensation for graduate students
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 2, 2017
The school is fine, and my department and colleagues are great, but the governor has run the state into the ground. Graduate students are paid pennies (pretty typical) and are not provided with any other benefits other than a health insurance plan which covers nothing.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Everything else
nice place
Assistant Director - Career Services (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 24, 2017
enjoyed collaborating with co workers and working on special projects. enjoyed the social scene outside of work and the nature filled experiences that the area had to offer.
Wild Cats!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 13, 2017
Good place. Manhattan as a town isn't somewhere that I would want to live long term. There isn't a lot to do outside the university circle. Not a strong young professional population.
I dont want to write this but it wont let me continue without doing it
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 9, 2017
show up at work, learn to deal with people in frustrating circumstances sometimes, management is fine, workplace culture is too liberal (its a university), hardest part is grading labs when you dont want to, most enjoyable part is teaching labs because its easy pay for the time/effort put in
Great place for full time students
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KS 66502July 7, 2017
K-State offers great job opportunities for full-time students. Parking Services offers a friendly work environment with great management. A typical day involves handling disgruntled customers and managing their payments. Answering phones and computer work is also a part of the job.
Pros
Great place to get homework done
Cons
Parking is not discounted and minimum wage
Kansas State
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 6, 2017
Great place to work. Staff are friendly and focused on student growth. As GTA you will work a lot and be expected to continue to earn high marks. If your work or grades are sub-par you may lose your stipend or GTA position.
Pros
Free schooling, stipend
Cons
Long work hours
Very Flexible Workplace!
Student Data Entry Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 23, 2017
K-State is an awesome place to work. They are very flexible with our student schedules and are very supportive especially during midterms and finals (we get treat bags!). I enjoy working here unfortunately it is a minimum wage job.
It was a good place to work, but it depends on who you work with
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 22, 2017
I was the GTA for K-State. People were nice and the work environment was great. My schedule was flexible as I was a student first. My supervisor was reasonable and she told me to put my own study first. The professors that I assistant were great. But it didn't happen to all the GTAs there. And my peers and my salary was the lowest on the campus. The department raise the salary the next year after I graduate, so the following GTAs have a better feeling about it.
Few departments are good, few, but do exist
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 21, 2017
Several departments, training did not exist, setting a new excited employee up for potential failure/disappointment. Sat in a new position weeks not knowing what I was to do and with no direction which was a waste of university time and money. Another position, little training was provided and only when I asked. I was training on what I had figured out and taught myself weeks after I started... Was even complimented on my training abilities.
Pros
Can be fulfilling to work with faculty, staff and students
Cons
Lack of training an issue, many supervisors and managers out of touch, well-established benefits hi-lighted for below market pay, survival mode needed.
Fine place to spend a couple years as a GTA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 18, 2017
I worked here as a Graduate Teaching Assistant and enjoyed it a lot. I don't have a lot to say negatively about KSU and what I could say is very personal to me. I wouldn't fault anyone for making a decision to come to KSU or not come to KSU for school or work.
Pros
good mix of people, fun environment
Cons
probably going to be working some on the weekends.
Productive and good place to work in
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 16, 2017
fun
Peaceful area
Would definitely recommend looking at this type of position for graduate studies.
Many skills are learned in this area.
University
Information Systems - Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSJune 14, 2017
My director and supervisors were an amazing team of "mad scientists" to work for. Everyday there was a different challenge to tackle. From server work to installing new hardware and software, it was definitely a great learning experience.
Every department is different
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 6, 2017
Depends on the department if you have a good experience or not. Some departments are very laid back while others are more demanding of overtime. Lack of raises the last few years has been a negative. Benefits are still pretty good but going down every year.
Pros
Flexible hours in my position
Cons
Work load is getting quite heavy per person
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 6, 2017
Kansas State University is a great place to be a part of. The people are exceptional and the atmosphere and fun, relaxed, and productive. It is a great place to be.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4