Kansas State University Employee Reviews

Non-exempt positions are treated very poorly by admin & faculty.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 24, 2016
Being a KSU grad I was very excited to return to Manhattan and apply my education and career experience as an employee of KSU. I regret this move greatly now. Unless you are employed in an exempt position (faculty, research assoc, upper admin) you are treated as if you do not matter. Raises, though given to exempt positions, are non-existent for non-exempt employees. This makes it near impossible to keep up with normal cost-of-living increases that occur for all citizens. Department heads have no clue how to run a business office and have free reign to do whatever they want, often unjustly and very biased. Forget about respect, collaboration or a friendly work culture. The worst place I have ever been employed by and though this is heart breaking for me, it is truth.
Pros
Sadly, nothing.
Cons
The culture, treatment and perception of non-exempt employees.
Great Place To Work
Associate Director of Employee Relations (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 6, 2017
I work M-F 8 - 5, however, I'm salary, so that can change
I have gleaned a great amount of knowledge concerning the University culture
I have great co-workers and we function well as a team
Some times there is a need for politics and I am not a political person.
There is not one thing I dislike about my job. The pay, benefits, teamwork, everything is great.
Pros
great office space and comradere
Cons
small budget
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 5, 2016
Great benefits and good work life balance. The environment is challenging and the city is great place to live in. The co workers are good. the ability to go back to school is a great incentive to work here.
Great Work Environment
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 19, 2016
The knowledge I learned has served me well outside the work place. The management team encouraged a positive atmosphere in the work place. The hiring team was effective and promoted the direction of the company.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, develop skills in many areas, lots of food throughout the semester
Cons
No preparation for the steps after graduation
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 24, 2016
Kansas State University is a great place to work. They have excellent benefits and a dynamic academic atmosphere. There is room for advancement for excellent employees.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
job security due to state wide budget cuts
Family rich, Culturally diverse
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 22, 2017
Great program, benefits, mentors, networking, cultural exchange.

Would definitely recommended to another student especially if they were contemplating further education (i.e. Master's, PhD).
Pros
Mentors, Networking
Cons
Personally it was a long distance from home
Is a nice job
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 30, 2016
It was a nice experience to be in contact with the students and help them with their needs.
I do have a nice relationship with my co-workers.
I love the multicultural interaction.
Pros
great enviroment
Cons
not a great salary
Loved working there had many people i will miss
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Jardine ApartmentsAugust 10, 2016
KSU is a wonderful place to work. I am only leaving because my husband has cancer and we are moving to Colorado. They have great benefits. Pay is not the best but benefits make up for that. My co-workers were the best around and my supervisor was awesome. Loved the paid holidays.
Great work environment, learning opportunities
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 21, 2016
Great management team.

Make your own hours. (min 13 per week)

Assist evaluators on research projects.

Code Data.

Positive team environment.
LAB MONITOR (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 13, 2016
Good place to work, nice people. You get to move around and do many things in a day instead of getting bored with one job. The management is very understanding and flexible.
Good Learning Oppurtunity
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 26, 2017
Very cognizant of work-life needs for full time students. Good learning opportunity using real world job training and classroom learning.
Good job for doing my homework during
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 15, 2016
I enjoyed not having to do much of the actual job and being able to work on personal things while getting paid. The hours were pretty rough on my sleep rhythm.
Pros
Got homework done
Cons
Developed insomnia
Productive working place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 29, 2016
Extrusion lab is a productive working place. Labmates are kindly nice and friendly and can share information and any updates with others.Manager is a good person who can help and share a lot.
Pros
Social networking, learning.
Cons
heavy labor work
Great place
Graduate Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 9, 2017
This university is the best place to get your graduate degree, they give you tons of opportunities to become a better person. At the same time, people are very nice and they actually care about you.
Great place to work. Co-workers are very friendly.
Payroll Accountant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 18, 2017
I like the work I do at KSU. The work is fun and fast paced. Great co-workers. There really isn't enough staff, but the days go by quickly as you are so busy.
Pros
Fun work.
Cons
Not enough staff
Educational
Conflict Resolution Program, Internship (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 8, 2017
I created and delivered teaching materials for graduate and undergraduate classes to assist the professor. I also taught a first year Conflict Resolution class for one semester.
Peer Advisor at Financial aid office
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 7, 2016
The culture wasn't an Ideal situation for advancing any skills. It could be hard to get across to upper management what needed fixed or improved.All very nice people I worked with. Some people have been in their position for a long time and were very knowledgeable.
Fun workplace
Planning Analyst (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 4, 2015
Compile records in excel using pivot tables and adobe acrobat files. Use VLOOKUPs to find and fill data for university reports.
Convert old reports from paper to electronic.
I grew in my knowledge of how to work with Microsoft Office and using different formulas in excel to come up with different filtered results.
Management was excellent. Kind, caring, and knowledgeable.
My co-workers were my supervisors and one other student worker. They were fun to work with and i enjoyed seeing them everyday.
The hardest part of the job was probably going over to a different building to the storage and bringing them back to convert them to electronic files.
The most enjoyable part was doing projects to fill reports for the university for different data inputs like student headcount, or Salary reports.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Lab Tech
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 12, 2016
Working as a lab tech is rewarding both financially and professionally. There is a lot of flexibility to the work hours but there has to be a passion for the research project.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
excellent job
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 11, 2016
a typical day at work consists of cleaning bathrooms and emptying the trash. I learned alot about cleaning and working as a team by working here. Management is really excellent at Kstate. The co workers are excellent to work with and i have made some friends by working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5