Kansas State University Employee Reviews

Creating lectures for 65 students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 15, 2015
A typical day included Preparing laboratory activities and creating lectures for 65 students. Posting online supporting material, weekly quizzes, and pre-lab assignments. Assessing students’ knowledge through examinations. Grading course work while also maintaining online grades.
Pros
Working with students
Great work environment, pay leaves more to be desired
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 6, 2016
Overall a good experience, as far as teaching intro level labs, and tutoring students, go, the student body is typically very willing to learn.
Typical State University science department
Professor, Molecular/ Cellular Bio (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 1, 2015
K-State is a great University. The college environment is fun and has a wide range of academic opportunities. As a faculty member in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology I enjoyed the support of peers and University facilities.
Pros
college town life
Cons
middle of Kansas can be limited
Mediocre
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 4, 2016
Mediocre at best I would certainly not recommend taking the position I occupied if this is any indication of how things are run here.
Fun workplace
Planning Analyst (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 4, 2015
Compile records in excel using pivot tables and adobe acrobat files. Use VLOOKUPs to find and fill data for university reports.
Convert old reports from paper to electronic.
I grew in my knowledge of how to work with Microsoft Office and using different formulas in excel to come up with different filtered results.
Management was excellent. Kind, caring, and knowledgeable.
My co-workers were my supervisors and one other student worker. They were fun to work with and i enjoyed seeing them everyday.
The hardest part of the job was probably going over to a different building to the storage and bringing them back to convert them to electronic files.
The most enjoyable part was doing projects to fill reports for the university for different data inputs like student headcount, or Salary reports.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Productive laboratory investigating the behavioral and neural mechanisms of drug abuse and depression
Graduate Research Assistant and Primary Instructor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 16, 2015
Friendly laboratory environment working under the principal investigator of a federally-funded research grant. Full of undergraduate and graduate research assistants working as a team to conduct, evaluate, and present scientific findings.
Positive working environment
DATABASE/MODIFICATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 24, 2015
The management was very helpful with learning how to properly complete my tasks and gave me feedback when needed. I worked with and communicated with all departments at the university along with federal, state, and local agencies in order to complete my reports. It was neat to see up and coming inventions and what research was being focused on.
Pros
Supportive work environment, Campus ammenities, Witness new and improving ideas
Good University to work for with great culture
IMSE Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 3, 2015
This was a good place to work with challenging projects and tasks. It was a positive work environment with great energy. There is a great network of people with fantastic experience. It was enjoyable to work with such talented individuals. I learned a lot and shared a lot as well. It was difficult to manage with a tight budget.
Pros
Slow during summer months and holidays, Positive atmosphere.
Cons
Compensation, parking.
Awesome
Certified Pilates Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 13, 2016
They give you the work they promise. They have great staff. I am part time so I don't get benefits. The hardest part is making sure I bring a good class.
Fun productive atmosphere
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 4, 2016
Easy going fast pace at special times of the year such as open house, career fairs, and finals. I really enjoyed working hear as a student.
Pros
Flexible for student workers
Cons
Its a good university, not the top, but good
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJune 5, 2015
I learnt a lot of things. Co-workers were great, but compensation was really bad. I think if it is a great place for undergraduate education. Even graduate school is decent. But due to lack of funds, postdoctoral research sucks. Most of the projects are not funded. Not recommended for pursuing postdoctoral research.
Pros
You can learn a lot
Cons
Low salaries for postdocs
A good place to study and people here are lovely
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 29, 2015
My job here is as a graduate research assistant. I worked on monitoring and managing surface water quality in impaired Kansas watersheds, with emphasis on cyanobacteria blooms and the corresponding management strategies.I have learned the key concepts, principles and practices in environmental engineering, and become acquainted with issues like erosion and sediment control, and storm water and waste water management design.
I like Kansas State University, it has the most lovely people and the happiest students. I enjoy my study and work here and also working with the people here.
Overall good working atmosphere.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 13, 2015
Working atmosphere is great.I learned how to work in organized and timely way. Management was good.I found hardworking and dedicated friends.
USDA and Kansas State University
Biochemical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  USDA 1515 College Ave, Manhattan, KSOctober 14, 2015
This was a great entre level place to work and develop skills.
I found everyone very helpful and a joy to work with.
I frankly wish I had stayed longer at the USDA.
Pros
Location to family
Cons
Noisey students.
Good university, bad state
Instructor (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSApril 8, 2015
I had the opportunity to study and work at K-State, all good experiences except for the fact that research assistants do not have tuition waiver and salaries were not enough to cover then. My area of knowledge also does not have as much funding available, so job security was a problem. In addition, recently the economic crises in the state resulted in cut of funding for education...
Overall Wonderful
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 8, 2015
Working in the soybean breeding program and for Kansas State University has been a wonderful experience. While certain times of the year are busier than others there is always something going on and something to learn.
Pros
Wonderful envrionment
Cons
Low compensation for graduate students
Fun job, loved working with the soldiers.
Part-time nurse (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KansasJuly 12, 2014
.  Worked on a project entitled, "Evaluation of Personal Cooling Systems for Soldiers," sponsored by the U.S. Army. Instrumented and dressed human subjects for 2-hour exercise trials in a hot environmental chamber. Monitored subjects during the session and dealt with heat stress incidents. Measured the metabolic rate and oxygen consumption of subjects using a MET cart. After the session, assisted subjects with the removal of their sensors and clothing. Cleaned lab for the next session.
Very Productive and Fast
Student Supervisor - Derby Dining Hall (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 25, 2014
Served over 1,100 students twice a day, very fast paced, and communication was key between cooks and supervisors. Management was very understanding, and was willing to help out whenever help was needed. Hardest part was when there was short staff and the supervisor had to do 4 different jobs at once, but it made the shift go by faster. Most enjoyable part was meeting people, some of the supervisors I met were the best in the world.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Staff, No set schedule
Place where you can gain knowledge with lots of fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 8, 2013
Gained extensive knowledge and hands on experience in extrusion processing, sensory analysis, food chemistry and milling. It was fun working with people at various levels of experience and from different cultures. Apart from sharing knowledge, this helped me to improve my communication as well as people skills. The most challenging part was to balance the work life schedule with job, research and classes to actively participate in various clubs and community services. And this was the fun part too participating in various departmental and club activities with all my friends.
Learned while teaching
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSSeptember 28, 2012
It was a good learning experience which taught me to gain confidence in myself . Designing a course on my own had its own challenges. The good thing about a teaching job is instant feedback. I have always liked interacting with people as a result teaching was a fun experience. Teaching also helped me improve the impact factor of my Powerpoint slides. GTA experience does imply a lot of juggling between my own course load and lecture preparation for classes I had to teach. I had 130 students and more in the sections I taught and since that meant a lot of grading that I had to do, time management is a skill that came in handy.
Pros
learnt a lot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5