Kaplan Employee Reviews in United States

Great people to work with, ethical and responsible company.
FACULTY MANAGER OF GGLPC/MDOP/TUTORING PROGRAMS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2016
I love this company, there is a culture of support and embracing of change.
I work from home, with a flexible schedule where I can take 2 hours for lunch or to go to a doctor appointment and my manager doesn't even want to know, as long as I've addressed issues and taken care of my day to day responsibilities.
I've learned that I am an awesome employee. Through the care and appreciation of management, I have gained confidence in my skills and I am ready to move on to greater things.
I thought the best part of my job was being at home an not being around people in an office, and I truly miss it, it has become a very hard part of my job not seeing my wonderful co-workers in person.
My co-workers are the best I've ever worked with.
The satisfaction of helping students and knowing at the end of the day I've made a difference.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
I have hit a ceiling on pay and advancement. I would love to stay, but I don't make a living wage.
Great Company With A Solid Future
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 20, 2016
I'm not too sure why there are complaints. One, if you don't like working on phones, don't get a job working on phones; it's laughable really. Two, yes, you are required to work hard. I can't understand why that is a negative. Three, there are soooo many positives, that it would take too long to list them here, but, a few include nice break rooms, numerous company/department gatherings and events, excellent benefits, free education through the Gift of Knowledge program, and, believe it or not, there is definitely room for advancement---as long as you push for it. Kaplan is a giant company and it's easy for mediocre people to do mediocre things there for 20 years; don't be that person. My co-workers are the best I've ever worked with. My manager is the best manager I've ever had in my 22+ year career. I think, the most enjoyable part of my job is...it's very challenging. Yes, I work hard, but I love every minute of it. Upper management do their best to disseminate information, but remember, the company is enormous; it has many moving parts. Kaplan is the type of place you could go far if you really want to; but, you could also get caught in a rut. I would definitely recommend Kaplan to other people.
Pros
free coffee, open break rooms, clean facilities, secure grounds, plenty of parking
Cons
yes---you have to work :-)
Okay workplace, great experience, bleak prospects
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 7, 2016
Two things that are great about the job: 1) working alongside talented & driven professionals who truly take pride in their work, 2) interacting with the vast diversity of students. Everything else falls short. Teacher salaries are almost comically disproportional to the amount of time and effort put into the work. Success metrics are based purely on student reviews, which are unreliable and often biased by popularity or student temperaments. Double standards and deceptive practices pop up time to time but usually quietly dealt with. Poor to moderate benefits with little chance of career advancement -- most teachers are kept part-time due to "budget constraints". Keeping appearance is often more important than substance.
Pros
work environment, coworkers, freedom
Cons
unorganized, lack of standards, trickle-down responsibility
Tense environment in all departments
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Management would micro-managed employees without any leadership or inspiration. The hardest part of the job was getting excited about starting the day performing duties since the day started with daily stand up meetings that were mostly negative and drag down the team morale. The director at the time would make racist remarks about students and made the employees uncomfortable with such remarks including offending employees.
Pros
Decent Salary.
Cons
Negative environment for employees and students.
Terrible experience
K12 Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkSeptember 18, 2015
Completely disorganized. I was hired as a K12 teacher and management never equipped me with proper schedule information, lied about the number of hours I would be working---and after what they demand of interested candidates in terms of a rigorous 5 week interview process--the lack of organization, transparency, and lack of communication was unbelievable. This used to be a good place to work, when they had their centers and managers were held accountable. The 'remote', work from home, model clearly does not work.

Plus, the salary isn't worth the effort teachers make to travel all over New York to go to student houses for tutoring and high schools for test prep.

Maybe if more people speak up about their negative experiences, things will change over there. Education is to be taken seriously.
Pros
working with students
Cons
terrible management, lack of accountability
school
Director of Education/ Interim Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 6, 2016
Great place to work. Great management and great benefits. Work there for over 6 years and met some great people and great students. Would recommend this company to anyone as a great company to work for.
Pros
pays for education
Cons
locations
Boring, but good benefits
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2016
Workdays can be repetitive as you are specialized heavily to perform the same task over and over. The health insurance is nice and, if you are young and looking to advance your career, the opportunities to earn free scholarships for Master degrees or other certifications is actually an amazing opportunity. The office atmosphere is really young, too.

I would recommend Kaplan for young college graduates looking for a first job and staying 1-2 years.. But nobody wants to make a career of it.
Pros
Free food, health insurance, college scholarships, good location
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement, no flex scheduling, limited work from home opportunities
Fun place to work yet low pay and benefits
Instructor 3 (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Location management and staff have been great to me and I enjoy the work. The chance for advancement monetarily and professionally is quite limited, however.
There is no diversity in the workplace nor room for advancements. Management advances base on who you know and not accomplishments or experience.
Sr. Admission's Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 11, 2015
Poor management from the President and Managers were the results of employees resigning, therefore, that revolving door was very prominent at Kaplan. In addition, Kaplan did not practice diversity and their hiring practices were very disdain. There were several complaints regarding Kaplan which affected its student retention: non recognition of their employees, consequently affected productivity; tuition was extremely high; Kaplan did not provide growth opportunities for their employees as well. While education was free for employees, many employees as well as myself would rather pay at a traditional university due to the incompetence of the Executive staff at the university.
productive and teamwork
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAMarch 16, 2016
typical day at work includes the instruction to adult students on the policy and procedures effecting the Medical Office. With each student and class my learning comes from the students and the way the learning process differs based on culture, family units, etc.

The most enjoyable part of my job is building the confidence within a student and see them flourish...
Pros
administration very helpful
Some Good some bad
Financial Aid Officer II/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 14, 2015
Schedule and work life balance is great but job security was horrible the entire time I worked there. Also the pay was not what the job advertised
Earn your degree- its a perk as an employee
SENIOR ADMISSIONS ADVISOR & TEAMLEAD (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2015
This is a large for profit education institution. You would enjoy working here- if you are not a lazy person. You will be required to work...but it will be a fun environment. The most enjoyable observation about this organization is that that upper level executives- are approachable, engaging with management and subordinates. Management is visible and work closely with staff to help increase the enrollments, graduation rate and retention.

There are a lot of people that just cannot make it to their local colleges and NEED the services of an online education to help expedite their goals and get a skillset that will gain them a career.
I earned my advanced degree from this school...I have no complaints- the education was challenging, the commencement was awesome and the career team reached out to me regularly.

Working in this industry is a little stressful, because there is NO finish line- when one term ends you are interviewing students for the next session. But the hardwork will feel good when you help someone (student) change their future and career options!
Pros
Management are down to earth and friendly- benefits are good
Cons
No finish line in regards to continually enrolling students.
Great Company Overall
Military Admission Advisor / Educational Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 6, 2015
Great company over-all to work for. Benefits are great! Company doesn't demonstrate much opportunity for growth and promotion for employees seeking managerial positions.
Pros
Co-workers make the environment an enjoyable one
Cons
No growth and promotion.
Kaplan is a good place to work
Business Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TexasAugust 20, 2015
If you are looking for a dynamic and challenging environment with a variety of positive people to work with and work for, Kaplan is certainly the job for you.
Working in education is satisfying just because of the lives you are changing for the better, but doing it at the environment and culture Kaplan espouses is that much more rewarding.
Pros
Great Management, Staff and Environment
Started out Great and went down hill
Sr. Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 14, 2015
The company started out great and with great benefits. Good work culture and they really vested time in to their employees. Fun contests and did a lot of prize give away. Over time that fizzled out and the company was facing federal indictment charges.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Hard to advance in the company
flexible scheduling and fun workplace
Proctor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2015
A typical day at work for me is based on the assignments. I have to be present in different locations in town either for SAT or ACT exam. I arrange the exam location, chairs and tables and exam materials should be all set. I welcome students to the exam session, read the instructions for them and guide them through the exam.
what I learned during this time is the culture of the American youth at schools. I learned about their school disciplines and their rules. Also I learned to the great extent how to interact better with them. The hardest part of the job is how to handle a misbehaved student in a cultured manner inside their school regulations, and not be influenced by emotional or personal decisions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the exams for younger students, interacting with them is so much fun.

I enjoyed being part of their team even for a short time.
I'd Recommend
Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 28, 2015
Great company, nice work environment, upper management is involved in your advancement and proactively reaches out to you to understand what your perception is of the company.
Pros
Great Benefits that begin day one of emplyment, great people
Cons
depending on department and management it could be a terrible experience
Frequent changes but positive work life balance options
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 14, 2015
Flexible work-life balance options
Large remote-work force
Frequent turnover with faculty and part-time staff and frequent shifts in management and team organization
Undergoes large structural changes every year
Moving departments and other job opportunities available within
Fast paced and competitive environment
Finance & Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2016
During my time at Kaplan I had the opportunity to work directly with the CEO, CFO, Presidents, and Vice Presidents. I was able to get a first had look at how a company with $300 million in revenue is managed and operated. I was involved with the business turnaround phase, and daily financial management of the firm. My Co-workers were all highly educated, motivated, and dedicated people. The hardest part of the job was maintaining profitability through expense management, while sales and revenue were flat. The most enjoyable part of the job was working so closing with executive and C-level management, and learning how to properly run a business.
Intensive teaching schedule
Full-Time ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2016
I have enjoyed teaching at this institution for the past 4 years because of the opportunities I was afforded to grow and develop as an educator. A typical day involves teaching a 3-hour class to adults of varying levels (A1-C2) and backgrounds. Some teachers also teach a second class, which runs for an hour and a half. The students have different goals and levels of motivations and teachers must adapt to those needs as it is a private, for-profit school. The teaching staff is dedicated to helping the students improve and work tirelessly to create engaging, thorough lesson plans. The most difficult part of this job is the mixed needs of the students and the challenge of pleasing all students since they are paying customers. I have truly enjoyed connecting with students from all over the world and guiding them towards autonomy in their English skills.