Kaplan

Kaplan Employee Reviews

There is no diversity in the workplace nor room for advancements. Management advances base on who you know and not accomplishments or experience.
Sr. Admission's Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 11, 2015
Poor management from the President and Managers were the results of employees resigning, therefore, that revolving door was very prominent at Kaplan. In addition, Kaplan did not practice diversity and their hiring practices were very disdain. There were several complaints regarding Kaplan which affected its student retention: non recognition of their employees, consequently affected productivity; tuition was extremely high; Kaplan did not provide growth opportunities for their employees as well. While education was free for employees, many employees as well as myself would rather pay at a traditional university due to the incompetence of the Executive staff at the university.
Kaplan College of Beaumont
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 9, 2015
Working at Kaplan College was a great experience for me, it allowed me to show guidenance to students of all ages wanting to further their education.
A online university
Administrative Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cypress Creek, FLDecember 3, 2015
My everyday tasks included changing peoples lives. I would first prob to find out what the prospect student has been through and what they want to get from school. Then encourage them to enroll to start the journey. I would walk them through the whole enrollment process including with their financial aid to make sure they felt comfortable and excited to go to school.
Pros
changing peoples lives
Cons
managment was poor
Fun place to work as an educator
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 1, 2015
Kaplan College was a wonderful place to express and implement technologies information in class and lab projects. The student/teacher ratio was super.
Full Time Student
Environmental Policy and Management (Current Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILNovember 25, 2015
Kaplan has allow me an interdisciplinary opportunity to study environmental issues and policy by exploring the interrelationship between public and private sectors.
Pros
Recieving and educations
Cons
Seeking emplyment. Not currently working
Positive learning, Negative administration
Professional Student (Former Employee) –  Kaplan UniversityNovember 22, 2015
What made the learning experience at Kaplan successful were the instructors. I learned so much more than what was in a book by having instructors that actually worked in the they were teaching. It was very enlightening to have not only text book cases but also past cases to help with understanding of the subject matter. The administration on the other hand was very chaotic. They were not trained well in registration nor in the financial aspect. I never knew what my loans were and who they were through and was never given a total amount of my loans until graduation. When registering for classes, the counselors were not helpful in figuring out prerequisites to courses which led to some courses taking longer. There was no preplanning process done to ensure you took your classes in a timely and time conscious manner.
Pros
Instructors
Cons
Administration
ok
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 12, 2015
very hands on school dedicated to students,unsure about the success rate and being able to have a career since im still looking in my field
Pros
hands on
Cons
some courses is it accredited
It was good
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2015
Working at Kaplan College was just temporary assignment. They hired student who were n a financial hardship while going to school. I learned how to scan and email documents to the proper recipient's. The most difficult part of the job was trying to locate documents for records that were needed and were not there. Working with the people there was good. They did train you properly and were accommodating with work hours.
Pros
Employee support
Cons
not enough hours
Pretty Good
Military Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 1, 2015
Excellent environment, good people. Management often launches new projects a little to early without thoroughly working out the kinks.
Great area where work ethic is appreciated
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Fort LauderdaleOctober 24, 2015
Same as prior , except this time created a Sharepoint tech grading system which impacted & drove leadership to 'coach' their players & increase employee engagement.
Pros
Fun, positive
Cons
Growth
excelent teachers
student (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 21, 2015
this school has excelent teachers. they give attention to all the students equally. They have short corses and help with job placement.
Good Company for advancement
Education Advising Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2015
Nice company to work for though there is always changes, I would recommend Kaplan for a person that would like to advance though the company is struggling with lowered enrollments making the positions not very stable.
Everything is on the phone....
Financial Aid Officer - Military (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 18, 2015
Kaplan truly care about their students, but everything is done over the phone at my sight. I would have been good to have some face to face interaction...
Growth Opportunity
Financial Aid Officer/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 18, 2015
Besides the salary, the only issue I had with the company was the difficulty I experienced trying to advance. However, the problem could have been just me.
Pros
Not a bad work atmosphere
flexible scheduling and fun workplace
Proctor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2015
A typical day at work for me is based on the assignments. I have to be present in different locations in town either for SAT or ACT exam. I arrange the exam location, chairs and tables and exam materials should be all set. I welcome students to the exam session, read the instructions for them and guide them through the exam.
what I learned during this time is the culture of the American youth at schools. I learned about their school disciplines and their rules. Also I learned to the great extent how to interact better with them. The hardest part of the job is how to handle a misbehaved student in a cultured manner inside their school regulations, and not be influenced by emotional or personal decisions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the exams for younger students, interacting with them is so much fun.

I enjoyed being part of their team even for a short time.
Very intense atmosphere
ADMISSIONS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 13, 2015
This is the type of work environment that isn't for the faint of heart. Very highly sales driven as it is a private college that requires attendance in order to be profitable, so actually signing up students to go to school is a must. I had ups and downs in sales as do all sales environments unless you can find consistency in your pitch and it works, don't ever change it. You are required to find your leads or sit on the cold calling list which can be VERY challenging at times. Only the veterans got the hot and warm leads and of course they're doing very well, because they are getting the students who are ready to sign on the dotted line without even being spoken to. Needless to say this is a very cut throat environment. You're either a shark or a goldfish. I wish the best of luck to anyone in this environment. It is very challenging to work with two faced individuals who are out for themselves and will steal your students at the first sign of you turning your back. It is very challenging to keep up with the numbers that Kaplan expects which by the way are always rising so that the investors can continue to have overpaid salaries while we do all the work. It is very hard to answer to Management daily and have to answer on the students behalf and be held accountable if they do not attend the first day of class. You cannot control people, it's just not possible. Unfortunately there is still something called free will and everybody has their own idea of what's important in their lives.
Pros
Great compensation, Full Benefits, 401k, Fly you to Chicago for Sales Training
Cons
Very intense cut throat sales atmosphere, Have a back up plan if you can't meet your sales goals.
Great Employees!
Institutional Eligibility Manager (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAOctober 12, 2015
Great employees who worked very hard and seemed to enjoy their jobs. Lots of turnover though. Company didn't seem to have clear, defined goals of how organization should function.
Manageable work environment
Director of Analytics Technology (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAOctober 9, 2015
With constant downsizing, Kaplan culture is as good as can be expected. Kaplan has tried to institute initiatives to boost employee engagement, however it's difficult when student pop continues to decline.
Great school and office enviroment
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAOctober 9, 2015
The staff at Kaplan are great people to work with and the pleasure of working with the students and helping them achieve their goals is the best part!
•a typical day at work
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 8, 2015
Fun school with supportive instructors. great place to grow and develop. Being able to go to school in the evenings really helped me out.