Kar Auction Services

Kar Auction Services Employee Reviews

overall good firm. The division and management of work can be made more efficient. Salary and Benefits ar good. Overall a nice firm to work for.
Development Lead (Former Employee), Carmel, INAugust 28, 2015
Childish
Customer Connection (Former Employee), Mesa, AZAugust 27, 2015
Pros: 1hr lunches
Cons: No "teamwork".. Everyone for themselves
Working as Customer Connection was good, however the team was childish, back stabbing and talked behind your back. I have never worked with a company that the manager was located in a different state and only came to the office for 3-4 days a month IF THAT. Management listened to their"favorites"instead of taking to you first. If you don't kiss butt your not going anywhere! Don't trust anyone!!
ok fun place to work
Vehicle Operator (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 14, 2015
Although this is a fun place to work and the management is great this is an outside only job. If you can deal with the heat and the cold and not make very much doing it this is the company for you.
Non productive environment and horrible people
Account Coordinator (Former Employee), Carmel, INAugust 10, 2015
Pros: 20-1hour lunches, workable shifts
Cons: you get yelled at all day by angry people
A typical day working at Kar was horrible. It is MANDATORY that you are logged in to your phone all day unless you have special permission otherwise and you have to tally EVERY single thing you do.  – more... I learned how to not get so angry about small things and I became a lot more tolerant of others' actions. The management was typically nice but they were underhanded and low just like the rest of the company. There was such a chain of command that you had to follow that it was ridiculous. First you had to go to your Account Specialist, then Senior Specialist then Senior Account Manager and then Client Team Manager. If you have a bank on the phone asking to speak with someone who has more authority than you do and then you ask the specific people to take the call and they won't take it from you...What kind of impression is that making on the subordinates? The hardest part of the job was remembering to tally every single thing you do (every email you send, every phone call you take) and the majority of the people at the job were horrible. The most enjoyable part was that mostly overtime was an option so if you wanted to come in on Saturday or come in early/stay late then that was always an option. Also, lunches could be anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour which was nice depending on your day. – less
Just Say No
branch manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaAugust 6, 2015
Pros: benefits are decent
Cons: where do i start
Management is cut throat. Will throw hard working people under the bus to make themselves look good. Will tell you that you are overpaid for what you do even though you work day/night/weekends/vacations and even when you are home sick. They only care about the bottom line. High stress. Not worth the health risk.
For some its just a job for some its a career
worker bee outside and inside (Former Employee), Plainfield, INJune 26, 2015
Pros: working with vehicles and lenient management
Cons: non competitve pay
I've held 3 positions working for this company over the last 9 yrs, The last position was the most challenging and that was a good thing. It always kept me thinking but it also kept me out of the elements. – more... I really liked working for this company as I'm a huge car person. I leaned the in's and outs of the company and picked up some computer skills as well. Co-workers are all cool as they get it when you say too many chiefs and not enough indians or I love the do as I say not as I do attitude. Hardest part of the job is doing one thing for too long. The best part of the job is doing the job and being greatful that you have one. Talking with co-workers about random BS keeps things interesting. Someone off the streets can come in and make the same ammount of money as someone who has been working there for 16+ yrs and when the person says something about it the mgnt says we can only give out 4% or no percent raises this time of year. Then you watc the company dump loads of $$$ into other dumb stuff – less
Auditing
Senior Auditor (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJune 22, 2015
Pros: Bonuses
Cons: Extensive traveling
After arriving to dealership I would conduct physical inventory check of onsite collateral, verification of dealer compliance to Manufacturers’ facility or operational standards, collect monies due and – more... report audit results to customers at the conclusion of each audit.
I learned how to manage my time most efficiently. The hardest part of my job became the extensive traveling. I traveled all over the U.S. conducting such audits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom. I did not punch a time clock. I could take a break or lunch whenever I pleased and when my work was complete I was able to go home. – less
No direction from the management
NET Developer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 8, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
I have worked their for three month hired as a contractor. In that three months they were able to decide when to start the project.
Company is a joke
IT (Current Employee), CarmelJune 7, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
As a previous review stated, IT is a joke at Adesa. I work at the corporate office and they are constantly tasking me with things they know nothing about.

Unreasonable deadlines, low pay and idiotic – more... management. I've spoken with The IT resources at the auction sites as well and it's the same thing. I feel sorry for them.

I can't think of a single person I've come in contact with who knows what they are doing.

CEO is obviously out of the loop.

It makes no difference what you know only who you know.

Unless you are an expert brown noser and enjoy making slave wages avoid this company. Real IT professionals don't belong. – less
Diverse Work
Field Specialist (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Company persk
Cons: No second chances
Locations change daily, the benefits far outweigh the travel involved with employment. The personal perks are very helpful in life and career.
Poor
Account Manager (Former Employee), ArizonaJune 3, 2015
Horrible place to work - turnover very high - like a revolving door. Poor comp plan - poor management, Not one manager is qualified no skills in management.

Call center environment - poor salary – more... $12.02 an hour. Commissions are low - especially if you have a poor territory. But, you don't know the territory until you start and employees tell you it's bad. Then you are stuck with it! No training - mgmt. does a brief overview, put out on the floor and it's up to the employees to train you.

Customer complaints - hard to do business with, nothing is easy when purchasing a vehicle. Too many processes, takes too long to get the vehicle. – less
Adesa
LOT DRIVER/VAN LEADER (Current Employee), Manville NJMay 27, 2015
Very simple job, nothing complicated about it. Very hot in the summer and cold in the winter, working outside can be tough.
Fast paced, and fun I worked alone driving a work truck
Locksmith (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAMay 20, 2015
Over all I liked this job, it was very challenging and I was always busy. On average I completed 15 - 20 cars a day. I would have been more successful were I a better salesman, but I did the best I could – more... do under the circumstances, and I told them that when I started. The best part of the job was the freedom to roam the city looking for work, I'm not a good salesman but I did enjoy trying to sell the services. – less
Overwhelming work loads under poor conditions
Vehicle Inspector (Former Employee), Lansing, MIMay 14, 2015
Pros: Not many
Cons: Would not pay reasonable wages
To much work to do in a single day with unrealistic expectations.
Working outside regardless of extreme conditions. Exceptional responsibility with minimum compensation
Very busy place, fun and most of all a challenge
Dealer Service Specialist II (Current Employee), Williamston, SCApril 27, 2015
Pros: All busy, fast paced
A typical day at my current job is never dull. We are busy from the time we arrive until we are clocking out.
I have mastered my multi-tasking, and learning more programs in one job then any other before.
Good team of people
General Manager (Former Employee), Clayton, NCApril 17, 2015
Good Team of people - HR is off site and makes it difficult to hire and train staff ..... Small Management team.........................
AFC is out of touch with the marketplace
Area Sales Manager ASM at AFC (Current Employee), Not in a territory with an ADESA locationApril 9, 2015
Pros: Home/Office, paid mileage
Cons: Compensation, sales goals
AFC is out of touch in the majority of the markets they are in, very slow to react to changes in competitors product offers and are unable to stay competitive. Area Sales Managers (ASM) call on independent – more... used car dealers but have extremely limited resources to negotiate rates or fees. Only major selling point is local customer service, however, ASM's are in direct competition with the local Branch's sales goals and objectives. A fortunate ASM will have a good branch manager to work with on applications and getting new customers to use AFC. An unfortunate ASM will have a branch manager that will not help in any way, if the branch receives a sales related call they'll take the lead and run with it, regardless of whether the ASM has had previous contact with the dealer. Thus, the ASM will have to justify that the account should be credited to them, so be sure not to miss logging calls on a daily basis.
Compensation package is horrible. ASM only gets commission when a dealer buys a unit and uses AFC to finance the purchase.Similar to other companies. No commission for getting applications or contracts, which is an ongoing battle with the ultra conservative credit department. However, there are multiple ways the ASM can lose credit for the dealer, but has no control over getting the dealer to use AFC to purchase units, customer service being provided by the local branch, or pricing adjustments to stay competitive. Dealers generally fall off your top pay tier after 12-14 months. Have had multiple dealers with great history with AFC all denied credit line increases for all kinds of reasons. Competitor was right behind the AFC denial with better rates, fees, terms and bigger credit line, lost every account to competitor. Another client had been with AFC for 14 years, denied a 25-50% credit line increase, closed their account the next month and went to the competitor.
Sales goals are the same regardless of location throughout the country, have been told for 2 years that this was being "reviewed" by the executive team. So if you are in a territory without an ADESA or an ADESA that is not a major player in the marketplace, forget about ever hitting your sales numbers on a regular basis. Competitors in those territories are offering dealers special rates, fees and terms when they close their AFC accounts and bring all their business to them. AFC's response is to sell the client on local customer service and the dangers of having all your inventory financing with one company, they will rarely match the competitors offering.
"Commissions" are considered "gifts" and are taxed accordingly, typical take home after taxes and all other deductions was 55% of commissions earned. So stay on the road 99% of the time to rack up the mileage on your personal car, mileage reimbursed at standard IRS established rates. – less
Not Good for IT
IT Engineer (Former Employee), Carmel, INApril 5, 2015
Pros: I got to meet a lot of great people.
Cons: Low pay. Overloaded with work. Non-technical managers and directors.
If you are in IT, and you are considering this company (ADESA or KAR), think again. Leadership in IT is non-technical and has no respect for their engineers or working knowledge of running a highly specialized – more... technical team. I have worked at this company for 5 years and it has gotten exponentially worse over my time there. The non-technical management expects at least 45 hours per week from their engineers (Network, Server, Storage, etc.), but will not blink an eye or compensate us if we work 60 hours each per week consistently for months on end. They provide no real benefits and their salaries are lower than anyone else in the market.

Management (the non-technical ones) provides direction, but is not competent enough to execute any plans; however, they completely expect you to follow their "direction" even though it has not been communicated or written in policy. The environment changes too frequently and never improves with the changes. They consistently lie to employees about raises and workload expectations only to find out that they do not care in any sense about the employee workload and do not honor raises that have been promised.

Lastly, they have attempted to artificially create an atmosphere of fun; however, they are just creating a cult. Anyone that does not participate in "fun" after-hour work activities is treated differently and reported to management as such. This workplace is so difficult to have "fun" in because of the horrible toxic environment that they have created over the last several years. In addition, work/life balance is not respected. This artificial injection of "fun culture" is enough to drive anyone crazy. Stay away from this company! They are toxic and will ruin your personal life with stress. – less
Program Manager (Current Employee), carmel, INApril 5, 2015
Its overall a good place to work. Good location, good building, horrible parking situation, good people, relaxed environment.
Not Good for IT
IT Engineer (Former Employee), Carmel, INMarch 30, 2015
Pros: I got to meet a lot of great people.
Cons: Low pay. Overloaded with work. Non-technical managers and directors.

Headquarters