Karl Strauss Brewing Company Employee Reviews

Great experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 24, 2017
Great Company and people, lots of beer knowledge and service skills. Communication skills and inerpersonal communication skills. Good cliental and networking possibilities
Pros
Great knowlege of beer
Cons
No breaks
A stressful environment in a restaurant that relies solely on it's servers.
Server (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 20, 2017
I have been an employee at Karl Strauss for some time. I have seen the economy change, and the industry change with it. Corporate has made some critical errors by getting rid of hard liquor, and following other restaurant food trends, rather than setting their own. Servers don't make nearly the amount of money here that they should. Corporate caters to the customers that complain the most, therefore this restaurant is based on the standards of those people, and the horrible tips they give. Employees are pressured to write fake "Yelp" reviews to boost the restaurant's rating. The employees are asked to carry out strict secret shopper standards with every table. These standards can often sound rehearsed, or insincere to customers. Even when customers don't want to hear these standards, we still have to recite them, or else we face retraining and/or losing our jobs. Management is constantly changing and coming up with new rules on an almost-daily basis. Therefore, the perks that are promised by the company, are hardly ever guaranteed by store management.
Pros
work experience, building character
Cons
expensive employee food and uniform, sub-par tips, ridiculous rules and standards
Very relaxed and chill vibe and they offer a huge beer and food selection which changes monthly.
Host/Busser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 25, 2017
Karl strauss brewing company has been my favorite place of business I've ever worked in my entire life. They offer great benefits including competitive pay.
Consistent money, great beer!
Server (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 26, 2017
Working at Karl's is a good serving position. Money is consistent and the beer is great with a pretty good quality of food for a brewery. Shopper standards and emphasis can be a little cumbersome when trying to provide truely exceptional customer service. Overall, great people and a good serving job. My only qualm is that no matter how long someone has worked there and proven themselves you are only one 90% shop (which can happen for totally subjective reasons) from serious demotion on shift scheduling. This creates a rather insecure work environment and is demoralizing over time.
Great place to learn and grow as an individual
Host (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 21, 2016
Everybody was always upbeat and smiling, it was like a second family. You learn so much about the behind the scenes of a restaurant like why things are portioned a certain way or the importance of checking on customers. The hardest part of the job was trying to get shifts covered and rescheduled.
Nobody that works on the restaurant side of this company is happy.
Beer Ambassador (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2016
The company is leaving behind all of their longtime employees. The benefits get worse and worse every year while the expectations get higher. Nobody gets paid what they deserve and the penalty for mistakes is getting fired. Everybody that works here either has a second job or is looking for a new one.
Pros
Free Shift Beers and Monthly six packs
Cons
No Benefits, High expectations/Low compensation
Productive and enjoyable place to work with free beer
Host/ Expo, Server, Bartender, Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAApril 29, 2012
I loved working here. The food is delicious the beer is better. I was able to quickly move up the ladder in this company and would have furthered my employment if I didn't have to move. Everyone works together and treats each one like family. The turn over rate is very low for this place. Most employees have been there since they opened.
Pros
free beer, half off food
Cons
no breaks unless you work over 6 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Karl Strauss Brewing Company. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3