Karmanos Cancer Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding / fullfilling / exciting
OCA / Certified Phlebotomist / IV Start (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 21, 2016
I Really loved my work at Karmanos Cancer Institute ICU, it offered a very wide variety of job duties throughout the day. It was always very rewarding daily. I truly enjoyed contributing to the improvement of the Patients health. To be a part of it all really filled my heart in a tremendous way. It confirms why we are there, and what we do as a Team in the Hospital .
Pros
Professional Management staff / Schedule rotation / Good bennifit package
Cons
No complaints
Pretty awful place to work
N/A (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 9, 2016
I could go on and on but to sum it all up, the McLaren Flint location is an absolute horrible establishment to work at, sort of like talking to an empty cardboard box all the time. No one ever knows whats going on.
Cons
Horrible management
Challenging and rewarding
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 14, 2016
I learned a lot from the primary investigator and gained experience in the area of immunology. The benefits were great and I was able to study for my MBA at Wayne State as tuition was covered.
Overall work experience
Bone Marrow Technologist (Current Employee) –  DetroitSeptember 11, 2015
I really enjoying working for Karmanos. They have supportive management and we work well as a team in my department. The most enjoyable part of my job is my supervisor is very flexible. However, there isn't a lot of growth potential in this department.
Study Coordinator
Clinical Trials Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganMay 7, 2015
Coordinate clinical research studies conducted by sponsors, corporative groups and physicians in a dedicated research facility. Manage the collection, documentation and analysis of clinical research data of participants in the study. Facilitate study protocols while operating under strict adherence to FDA Codes of Federal Regulation and GCP guidelines. Develop and revise standard operating policies and procedures for the clinical trials. Maintains and monitors subject case records for accuracy, quality and compliance within protocol guidelines.
Pros
Meeting new patients
Cons
Late Hours
I enjoyed my work even most of the staff
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  detroit,miSeptember 14, 2015
Worked here with a smile on my face, As any place you have good days and bad but for the most part it was enjoyable. I'll leave it at that.
Overall, it was a great experience!
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  DetroitMarch 14, 2015
I was selected one out of five high school students to participate in this rigorous internship at Karmanos Cancer Institute and learn the skills and use it on an actual patient floor. I was able experience what it would be like to work an 8 hour shift as well with co workers for a month.
Pros
free lunch, skills for a nurse, cpr certification, mentors
Cons
not enough exploration
Nobility
Oncology Social Worker/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 16, 2015
No two days are the same and that is something that I treasured. It is one of the perks of this job. The patients are mostly grateful for our efforts and management is very supportive.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
coportate takeover
Not the best
Social Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 15, 2015
They do good work but the management is not the best here.Besides that no benefits and they cut staff constantly then hire new people so the training cycles never stop and the synergy never develops.
Wonderful Place
Karmanos Cancer Institute Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2015
I was a volunteer for this institution and was able to learn a lot about how a hospital/medical facility operates. This position taught me how to be compassionate and to comfort people when they were in most need of it. The volunteer coordinators were outstanding and it was great to volunteer with fellow students. The hardest part was too not become to emotional.
Management wasvery demanding.
AR/AP Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 10, 2014
I was in charge of Manageing the Accounts Payables as well as Accounts Receivables for the Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program. I Liked my job ver much. I learned something new every day. I had a great team of employees working for me. They always went the extra mile to get things done when we had deadlines to meet. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the people I worked with and managed.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
they moved the program too far for me to comute.
team player work place
Clinical Research Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 21, 2015
screen patients
register with sponsor

data entry
queries resolution
meetings
lunch time with colleagues

management is good
hardest part of the job is time constraint during workload during holidays
Great Volunteer Experience
Outpatient Volunteer - Navigator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganDecember 21, 2013
A typical day involved meeting patients as they entered the hospital to either introduce them to the cancer institute or direct them to their appointments if they either do not know their destination or are unable to walk.

This job, while unpaid, involved lots of teamwork and communication, as well as requiring good communication skills with patients and employees.

Hardest part would be the actual traveling between parts of the hospital, transporting either supplies or patients. This was part of the DMC and Harper Hospital, so it did involve a lot of walking.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the patients, and making sure they were as comfortable as possible.
Karmanos
Refused (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2012
The structure of this company is as questionable as the structure of the city it's located in. If it weren't for some outstanding employees the walls would come crashing in. The management support and structure is severly flawed. If there werent a loose tie to the DMC system I hightly doubt this health system would be able to support it's self on its own. If it weren't for some outstanding doctors and support staff that are willing to go the extra mile there is no way this organization would be successful. Strip these people away and you would find a decomposing skeleton of mismanagment.
Pros
great safe location downtown detroit
Cons
management
Rewarding to helping families with dying family members.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 25, 2013
Karmanos Cancer Institute - Hospice Program was a wonderful agency to work for. The beginning of the day was to schedule to help patients and families. I learned patience, caring and loving others and humbleness. Management was always willing to listen to suggestions and proceed when possible. Co-workers were good examples for showing cooperation and willingness to do whatever necessary to help the program. The hardest part of the job was when there was a staff shortage and staff was overwhelmed with day to day activities. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing we were helping patient's to dye in comfort with dignity.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough advancements in jobs.
Little Productive
Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 4, 2013
A typical day was waiting for someone to bring me work. Management is great they are not on your back and as for my co workers they are great we carry each other's work load and love for one another. The hardest part of the job was trying to find some work to do. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we have luncheons, get recongized for our hard work, and the ability to talk to one another.
Pros
luncheons
Cons
had too much time on my hand
Very interesting working with the medical staff for 38 years.
Ward Secretary (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2014
Transcribed Doctor's orders and greeted visitors.
Ÿ Answered telephone, patient's call light, read telemetry, and prepared patient's record.
Ÿ Assisted Doctors in finding patient's record, scheduled appointments for patient, discharged patient to home after the doctor wrote discharged order for patient.
Nice Company
Administrative Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 6, 2013
Nice place to work, but cliquey employees. There were managers in some departments that had no business being managers. There really isn't room for advancement because once your manager knows you are applying, they make our time there not very pleasant. Other than that, it was an ok place to work.
Pros
cto time bank very good
Cons
unprofessional management/supervisors in some departments
Good place to learn technology
RADIATION THERAPIST II (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIApril 29, 2014
Typical day included performing Quality Assurance duties, treating patients, instructing students and simulation. The hardest part of the job was working with a multitude of personalities. My coworkers were very knowledgeable. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new treatment methods.
Pros
teaching institution
Cons
too many managers
Increased Knowledge
Oncology Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganJanuary 28, 2013
I loved working at Karmanos, I learned a lot of new and different techniques for my job title and skill level. My skill level has gone up because of them and I am greatful for that.

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-To-MP3/3000-2071_4-75810474.html >youtube mp3</a>