Karmanos Cancer Institute Employee Reviews

Oncology Care Associate
Oncology Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 9, 2017
Great place to work, a learning and teaching hospital. You will gain skills and if you like to work extra hours we usually have some available. $15 A HR AT THE MINIMUM
Pros
Great place to work just lacking teamwork in some areas
Cons
Lack of teamwork and no pay increases
Amazing
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 2, 2017
Learned a lot in this location. learned how important it is to deal with the patients correctly, and very good in experiencing urban settings of patients.
Fun place to work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 18, 2017
Duties are so basic. Colleagues here are super awesome. The manager allows us to work at flexible hours. Can manage my studies simultaneously while working.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Short breaks
Out good great worker with professionalism to bring to the table
Oncology Care Associate II (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48201January 4, 2017
A typical day at work for me depends on the area I am working in. if am the clerk for the day then it consist of answering multi-phone lines while answering nursing intercom and dispatching patient calls to the correct staff member all while constantly monitoring a heart monitor. Multitasking is a requirement for a clerical positon that I am very well capable of doing and have been doing for 16 yrs at my current job. If I am doing direct patient care that day consist of caring for 6-7 patients while making sure I provide excellent care for them and still covering the clerk on the desk.
Cons
30 minute break for a 8 1/2 hour shift that is constiantly interupted or cut short.
Wondereful Institution
Council Member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 2, 2017
Enjoyed being a part of improving the patient experience. Enjoyed all of the people there. They are doing great things to help patients.
Enjoy working here
Mammographer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 27, 2016
I enjoy working at Karmanos. My co-workers and supervisor are wonderful people. The commute for me is very long. Fast pace facility.
Good and caring company to work for
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 30, 2016
Checking in patients
I learned how to communicate better
I work well with people
Dealing with stressful situations
Brightening patients days
Decent management here
Pros
Work well with my schedule and you earn CTO time
Cons
Poor communication
A pleasant place to work
Patient Service Representative / Inpatient (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 30, 2016
I enjoyed the work and working with clinical staff. Especially the head nurse. A typical day was making sure residents had there authorizations for treatment and that was something I enjoyed doing and that's helping people and what best way is when they need their treatment of chemo.
Pros
Helping the residents that came in to be treated
Cons
didn't have good benefits
Kind and Caring people everywhere you look
Navigator/Sitter Relief (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 25, 2016
A typical day involves making the patients feel comfortable as soon as they walk through the door and assisting them with becoming acquainted to the facility. From there, sitters and nurses may call on you to help them with various tasks like transporting patients, assisting with meals, etc. This job teaches you empathy if nothing else. Empathy is powerful because it allows you to treat the patients in such a manner that they actually feel loved in your presence. All workers display this empathy and it really gives the institute a loving atmosphere.
Pretty awful place to work
N/A (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 9, 2016
I could go on and on but to sum it all up, the McLaren Flint location is an absolute horrible establishment to work at, sort of like talking to an empty cardboard box all the time. No one ever knows whats going on.
Cons
Horrible management
Productive fast paced work environment
Oncology Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 27, 2016
Get work assignment, get organized at unit desk or working the floor with patients. Working there I learned to be more patient, organized, multitask more efficiently, to stay clam under pressure and stress. I had the best co-workers ever, most of us worked together to help the others to make sure we all left together at night. If you had a question about something you could always find someone to ask that would take the time to explain. The hardest part of my job was seeing patients and family in pain, suffering with heart ache and trying to ensure that I was only there to help not to harm. The enjoyable part was seeing patients and there family being discharged to go home and continue recovery which is a lifetime battle.
Challenging and rewarding
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 14, 2016
I learned a lot from the primary investigator and gained experience in the area of immunology. The benefits were great and I was able to study for my MBA at Wayne State as tuition was covered.
Rewarding / fullfilling / exciting
OCA / Certified Phlebotomist / IV Start (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 21, 2016
I Really loved my work at Karmanos Cancer Institute ICU, it offered a very wide variety of job duties throughout the day. It was always very rewarding daily. I truly enjoyed contributing to the improvement of the Patients health. To be a part of it all really filled my heart in a tremendous way. It confirms why we are there, and what we do as a Team in the Hospital .
Pros
Professional Management staff / Schedule rotation / Good bennifit package
Cons
No complaints
I enjoyed my work even most of the staff
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  detroit,miSeptember 14, 2015
Worked here with a smile on my face, As any place you have good days and bad but for the most part it was enjoyable. I'll leave it at that.
Overall work experience
Bone Marrow Technologist (Current Employee) –  DetroitSeptember 11, 2015
I really enjoying working for Karmanos. They have supportive management and we work well as a team in my department. The most enjoyable part of my job is my supervisor is very flexible. However, there isn't a lot of growth potential in this department.
Nobility
Oncology Social Worker/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 16, 2015
No two days are the same and that is something that I treasured. It is one of the perks of this job. The patients are mostly grateful for our efforts and management is very supportive.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
coportate takeover
Not the best
Social Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 15, 2015
They do good work but the management is not the best here.Besides that no benefits and they cut staff constantly then hire new people so the training cycles never stop and the synergy never develops.
Study Coordinator
Clinical Trials Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganMay 7, 2015
Coordinate clinical research studies conducted by sponsors, corporative groups and physicians in a dedicated research facility. Manage the collection, documentation and analysis of clinical research data of participants in the study. Facilitate study protocols while operating under strict adherence to FDA Codes of Federal Regulation and GCP guidelines. Develop and revise standard operating policies and procedures for the clinical trials. Maintains and monitors subject case records for accuracy, quality and compliance within protocol guidelines.
Pros
Meeting new patients
Cons
Late Hours
team player work place
Clinical Research Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 21, 2015
screen patients
register with sponsor

data entry
queries resolution
meetings
lunch time with colleagues

management is good
hardest part of the job is time constraint during workload during holidays
Place you can learn
Lead Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit MIApril 10, 2015
work overload more than we are paid for
Coworkers were very nice
Micromanagement

Hardest part of the job - there is no flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Karmanos Cancer Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval