Karmanos Cancer Institute

queries resolution
meetings
lunch time with colleagues

management is good
hardest part of the job is time constraint during workload during holidays
Place you can learn
Lead Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee), Detroit MIApril 10, 2015
work overload more than we are paid for
Coworkers were very nice
Micromanagement

Hardest part of the job - there is no flexibility
productive and friendly workplace
Housekeeping (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 18, 2015
everyone work as a team player and consistently communicated wel. the envronment is a very clean and safe. The people are very friendly and confident. Expectation is on high l
Overall, it was a great experience!
Student Intern (Former Employee), DetroitMarch 14, 2015
Pros: free lunch, skills for a nurse, cpr certification, mentors
Cons: not enough exploration
I was selected one out of five high school students to participate in this rigorous internship at Karmanos Cancer Institute and learn the skills and use it on an actual patient floor. I was able experience what it would be like to work an 8 hour shift as well with co workers for a month.
Ok place to work
Regulatory Coordinator (Current Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Benefits are good, flex time is good however, very little room for advancement. It's good for those who actually work in the medical field, i.e. doctors nurses but support staff there's very little room for growth.
Wonderful Place
Karmanos Cancer Institute Volunteer (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2015
I was a volunteer for this institution and was able to learn a lot about how a hospital/medical facility operates. This position taught me how to be compassionate and to comfort people when they were in most need of it. The volunteer coordinators were outstanding and it was great to volunteer with fellow students. The hardest part was too not become to emotional.
newly acquired
Project Coordinator to Project Manager (Current Employee), Detroit, MichiganJanuary 1, 2015
This is a nice place to work now that it has been acquired by McLaren Healthcare System. It has just been over a year since it was acquired and they will be growing within the next five years.
EVP/COO for NCI Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center (41 in United States)
EVP/COO Karmanos Cancer Center/Institute (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 19, 2014
Superb institution providing state of the art cancer care and research. Second largest Phase I cancer drug research institute in US.
Management wasvery demanding.
AR/AP Manager (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 10, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: they moved the program too far for me to comute.
I was in charge of Manageing the Accounts Payables as well as Accounts Receivables for the Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program. I Liked my job ver much. I learned something new every day. I had a great team of employees working for me. They always went the extra mile to get things done when we had deadlines to meet. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the people I worked with and managed.
Pre-Registration Specialist (Current Employee), Detroit, MINovember 4, 2014
A cancer hospital. Always busy with add on patients and authorizations.
management needs improvements
Admission Service Representative (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 12, 2014
Needs better management & better paid. Extremely high turnover!
Job security, even though the contract was purchased from Karmanos, by WSU my current job was still available, new job title, higher pay.
Data Manager (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 26, 2014
Pros: good health benefits, work was always available, and my lunch break was one hour.
Cons: flexible spending money was none refundable if not used within one year.
A typical day at work was data entry, comparing the information that was entered into the database to the paperwork in the office and monthly reports were ran and distributed, filing and telephone assistance as needed to the staff that worked in the field, request for reports, paperwork and supplies were given weekly, I crossed trained the new employee after hired into the department. I learned to work with about 30 employees as needed. Management was fair and were hard workers. My co-workers were different each person in his/her own way, I was a help to them as they requested assistance while working out in the field and when they came into the office on a monthly basis. The hardest part of the job was when I had to do the work which took two people to do, after my fellow side by side co-worker quit to move on to another company to take on another position. I was responsible for her work and what I was previously responsible for (I handled it, one day at a time). The most enjoyable part of the job was the respect that my co-workers had for me, they appreciated my efforts and most important of all I still had a job after the company Wayne State University made an agreement with Karmanos Cancer Institute, I worked in the same office/same location, only my job title changed and I also received a pay raise.
Oncology
Register Nurse (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 22, 2014
I loved this job, the staff and my manager!! Great place to work
Very interesting working with the medical staff for 38 years.
Ward Secretary (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2014
Transcribed Doctor's orders and greeted visitors.
Ÿ Answered telephone, patient's call light, read telemetry, and prepared patient's record.
Ÿ Assisted Doctors in finding patient's record, scheduled appointments for patient, discharged patient to home after the doctor wrote discharged order for patient.
Productive and fun workplace with a bowling team.
Donor Information Processing Specialist (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches and contest for free gift cards.
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work was great. Fun and helpful co-workers. My supervisor was kind and understanding, really cared about you as a person. The climate was relaxed and cheerful.
Good place to learn technology
RADIATION THERAPIST II (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIApril 29, 2014
Pros: teaching institution
Cons: too many managers
Typical day included performing Quality Assurance duties, treating patients, instructing students and simulation. The hardest part of the job was working with a multitude of personalities. My coworkers were very knowledgeable. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new treatment methods.
fun
HIM Processor (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 3, 2014
Pros: great cto time, flexible with hours
Cons: low pay
I learned a lot about HIM and different areas of medical records
Karmanos Research
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Oncology (Current Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 18, 2014
I think there is an enormous potential for this research center to become a world leader. Though it still requires the investment by its community.
Great Volunteer Experience
Outpatient Volunteer - Navigator (Former Employee), Detroit, MichiganDecember 21, 2013
A typical day involved meeting patients as they entered the hospital to either introduce them to the cancer institute or direct them to their appointments if they either do not know their destination or are unable to walk.

This job, while unpaid, involved lots of teamwork and communication, as well as requiring good communication skills with patients and employees.

Hardest part would be the actual traveling between parts of the hospital, transporting either supplies or patients. This was part of the DMC and Harper Hospital, so it did involve a lot of walking.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the patients, and making sure they were as comfortable as possible.
Little Productive
Data Manager (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 4, 2013
Pros: luncheons
Cons: had too much time on my hand
A typical day was waiting for someone to bring me work. Management is great they are not on your back and as for my co workers they are great we carry each other's work load and love for one another. The hardest part of the job was trying to find some work to do. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we have luncheons, get recongized for our hard work, and the ability to talk to one another.