Katmai Government Services Employee Reviews

Productive and a fun work place to work in
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 16, 2017
The supervisors are very cool. The work is very easy, and its always fun. Its only and on-call kind of job. Ideal for individuals who are seeking just a part time job.
Poorly managed and stressful environment
Intelligence SME (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAJune 12, 2017
I would not take another position with this organization. I resigned amid ongoing institutional conflict that was beyond my control to affect or resolve, and attempts to resolve by management were poor if they were made at all. The morale of my co-workers was so low, many have since left or are currently seeking other work.
Good place for retirees
Range Helper (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXMay 30, 2017
Scheduling is random. Not a good place to work if you arent retired. You are only give 28 hours a week. Which isnt enough even if you are trying to go to school unless you are on scholarship.
Pros
Gets off at 1400
Cons
lack of hours, bad management.
Great Company Culture
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 22, 2017
Many opportunities to learn and grow with this company. In six years, Katmai has more than tripled in size--affording me several advancements in both responsibility and compensation. The upper management encourages and rewards those with the entrepreneurial spirit. This is by far the best company I've worked for.
my co-workers
tower operator, range helper (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 2, 2017
working with katmai, has given me the oppertunity to grow as a person and learn about others. Many of my coworkers are retired military, and as a military brat, i was able to relate to the conversations. the most talked about topics were: healthcare, 401k, and equipment to get the job done.
Pros
location
Cons
healthcare
Working
supply (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2016
Too much gossip, No loyalty to long time employees. Like most corporations money over people. When your worth is done and the company can replace you with a cheaper alternative, well thy go for it. That's good for business but not for workers
Pros
Good people
Cons
No loyalty to employees
Better off working with another company
Fmr Employee (Former Employee) –  VaApril 26, 2016
This company took over our contract a few years back and in doing so promptly made everyone's life onsite miserable. The trucks were old rust buckets that they either stole or borrowed from another site. They decreased everyone's pay and decided that there would be no overtime, even the site manager lost a couple dollars. There was a great amount of undue tension when they brought on another contract because the workers on that contract were being paid more and treated better. Long hours, losing a bit of salary to pay for their ridiculously expensive health care. And a 401k that was shoved in my face, made it easier to move on to another company that treats employees better.
Pros
Still a job, just not a good one
Cons
You're low man all the time
Very crooked company!
Employee (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 26, 2016
Complete disregard for employees. Company does not care one bit about its employees you are just a number. Management including local and corporate don't know half the time what's going on and don't care. If there's a way that they can screw and employee out of money they will do it! Best advice is to avoid anything related to Katmai or Ouzinkie Native corporation.
Cons
what ever they can do to save money
range worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXFebruary 9, 2016
not even hours for new people. Most workers brings own tools for work projects. Promotion and raises are limited, only full time positions get pay raises and 40 hours. pay raises only come up with available positions, positions very limited. trucks are about 30 years or older, always breaking down. $4 dollars of the salary has to go to benefits or all to 401k!. no running water at work sight. no flushing toilets. part timers can only work 28 hours, due to health insurance reasons, even if your retired and have tri-care. most equipment is old, run down, or cheap. 30 minute lunches( contrary to the handbook saying 60 minutes). to much finger pointing between shifts. have to hand pull weeds on target movers, instead of calling a spray company to spray it down( lots and lots of weed and grass pulling) . absolutely no overtime, just an unofficial comp-time.
Pros
fun working outside
Cons
tightwads, penny pinchers, very old trucks
Complete disregard for employees
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 17, 2015
Katmai, back in December, took over our contract from a great employer. Since their reception, not only has employee turnover increased, but general moral has decreased as well. First, Katmai, in an attempt to "save money" began paying employees hourly vice salary. Then attempted to limit employee hours in order to bypass paying overtime. This is not all together crazy, but the contract they took over services the Marine Corps, which has no start and end time. Additionally, all training, 401k contributions, and affordable health benefits were suspended. Furthermore, not a single corporate representitive have made any attempts to visit our site, nor are we allowed to contact HR directly. This has to be the most shady company to work for. Some of you reading this may think this is just one disgruntled employee, but I assure you that many reviews, like this one, have been submitted.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Corporate, Hr, health benefits, training
Contractual Company
Role Player (Former Employee) –  MCCS Quantico, VA. / Camp Lejeune, NC.December 29, 2014
Katmai Corp. was the first contractual company that hired me as a role player for the military training, then SpecPro Tech. took over after the contract expired.
Pros
Good paying part time job
Cons
Contract Expired
Great Company
Spanish-speaking Role Player (Current Employee) –  South Hill, VAMarch 7, 2013
Great place to work. Would recommend to anyone. very interesting
Good pay, poor management
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 30, 2012
Coworkers were eager to work together and easy to get along with. Management was all over the place and made drastic decisions overnight. No job security unless you are in high ranking position
Cons
multiple layoffs
Katmai
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 12, 2012
Typical day: Computer work, conference calls, meetings, travel
Learned: New things every day during meetings/conference calls
Management: Right above me was great. Corporate-harder to work with
Co-workers: Loved all of them
Hardest part of job: Teaching myself EVERYTHING
Most enjoyable: Co-workers and travel
Pros
paid expenses while traveling
Cons
no job security