Kay Jewelers Employee Reviews in United States

A standards based company with great training and room for advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJuly 18, 2016
A typical day consisted of training and sales, that is the focus. I was able to obtain my diamondtology certificate and learned more about jewelry than I knew there was to learn. Management, at least at my store was ok, more focused on results than personal relationships and team building. My coworkers were good for the most part, lived in a college town so most were part time and not looking for a career.
The hardest part of the job is trying to drive business and meet your goals during times that are not holidays where selling jewelry is a given, not a skill. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be a part of the guests experience, meeting people and helping them get engaged or have anniversaries is a great feeling.
Pros
good commision, long lunches, training
Cons
working on all weekends and holidays
Only good for people that are "workoholics"
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJuly 17, 2016
I moved up fast through the company. The commission is not how they present it to you. Its MUCH lower. You have the potential to earn a lot of money and a lot of self satisfaction. Helping people achieve their dreams and special holiday events.

You have to love what you do to work here for over a year. I do not like the restrictions most managers have. You get to make the schedules, but depending on your District Manager, you end up working their schedule. You have to be called in and work insane hours.
Pros
base pay, making dreams come true, employee price, structure
Cons
long hours, changes often, reail environment, no freedom
Excellent employer.
Assistant Manager /Certified Diamontologist (Former Employee) –  Planet hollywoodJuly 14, 2016
A good company to work for. Large growing company with many benefits including 401k and medical benefits, discounts and ability to excel to management.
Pros
great company :)
Cons
hours fluctuate :(
Fun and exciting workplace
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 13, 2016
The employees are bright and inviting, creating a fun and entertaining work environment. Meet and greet customers searching for that special gift.
Fun work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYJuly 8, 2016
Being able to talk to customers about why they are there was always a fun story. The people I worked with were fun and always joking around with each other.
learning experience and fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 5, 2016
KAY is a great place to work if you are a hard working individual and have a goal to succeed and achieve standards. This company is standard based with commission compensation on top of hourly wage or salary (management).
Pay is ok... your hourly wage means little because you also get commission which can either jump your wage up by $1/hr to $10/hr depending on your commission levels. Your commission monthly can range from $250 to $2500...
If you like to work.... this is the place for you. Work work work work... the hours are ok if you're used to retail hours. Expect to work holidays (except easter and xmas)... unless they change that too.
The company culture is wonderful. The CEO is great and they treat management well. They work you to the bone, but they do treat you well.
The hardest part of the job is working the hours (up to 65/wk for mgmt) and not seeing your significant other as often as you'd like.
The easiest part of the job is working with guests and helping them get gifts for their loved ones... it really is fun.
I don't have much bad to say about this company. If you like to work... like I said... this is the place for you.
Pros
Commission. Benefits.
Cons
Hours.
Productive Enviroment
Sales Representatives (Current Employee) –  Ontario, OHJuly 4, 2016
Third Key Holder, Sales Representatives, Services, All Other

Opening and closing the store. Securing all merchandise in safe at night. Counting registers, and making deposits. Counting inventory every morning. Resolving customer service issues. I am the special events coordinator. I also am responsible for evaluating foreign trade ins. As well as covering shifts when others call in sick. Other responsibilities include payroll, special ordering personalized items, and auditing any discrepancies with inventory. Understanding the needs and objectives of customers in order to encourage the purchase of jewelry and related merchandise. Recommending and showing pieces of jewelry to customers, providing detailed information on product features and benefits, keeping display cases clean and fully stocked. Sales associates must promote conveniences like extended service plans and financing options.
Cons
short breaks, low commission incentives, crazy hours not consistent
Kay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, FLJuly 4, 2016
Typical day is not too bad , its located in a mall and I have great associates. Food court is close by and is quick to grab a but too eat .
High Pressure Sales Environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  N Attleboro, MAJune 30, 2016
Sales goals are based on 6 standards. All 6 standards must be met every day, week, month and year. Must be meeting all 6 standards to move up in company.
Productive work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLJune 29, 2016
I enjoy working at Kay Jewelers.

You work with different clients fulfilling their needs.

Hardest part of the job is having to close the deal but at the end its worth it because you get to see your clients smiling.

I love the people I work with and the job that I do. Helping people find there true pieces of jewelry give me the satisfaction.
Pros
flexible working schedule and work hours
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYJune 29, 2016
I learned how to clean and fix jewelry properly. I learned about all the different types of cuts of diamonds. I learned how to ship and receive product.
Its ok for younger adults.
Sales Associate/Head (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJune 29, 2016
I was there for a long time, so I have a jaded view of the company. My parents both worked there over 20 years also. Its ok for a younger adult that maybe finishing college, but I dont suggest anyone make it a career.
Pros
Discounted merchandise
Cons
Upper management, advancement opportunities.
I wish it was half as lucrative as they promised.
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYJune 28, 2016
I was pursued by the manager for two years, promised the world and wound up making half what I was although I made my entire years goal in five months even though I was brand new. Depressing since I have children to raise and unfortunately did not realize just how unethhical the manager and his assistant are.

Not my work ethic or style. At all.
Pros
Jewelry at cost
Cons
Pay scale is depressing
A Day and Life in the Jewlery world.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 28, 2016
Start off by greeting my co-workers, pulling all jewelry from the safe and setting it out. Getting my "game" face on (bc convincing anyone to buy anything they can live without is no easy task) and reading over the product I have so that I can be confident in want i'm saying.
Pros
The "on edge Thrill" of trying to sale something
Cons
having daily quotas to meet
Kay Jewelers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJune 28, 2016
I felt that it is always hard to work in an environment where your are put against the other employees.
Very Professional & Classy Company
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJune 17, 2016
At Sterling, which is the parent company for Kay and subsidiaries, they value their employees. Kay made you feel like family whether it be management or just a coworker. We actually went to different stores and got to know fellow members during training sessions. At my store, we liked to hangout after work and our children even played together for play dates!!
Pros
Awesome but relaxed atmosphere
Cons
You can never be asked to see someone's new jewelry piece without your diamond knowledge popping up.
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 14, 2016
I loved working here. I was a student in college and needed a job with flexible hours. My managers always tried their best to accommodate me!

I loved the atmosphere there. It was so inviting and always a joy to help in planing a weeding or engagement!

If you love people and jewelry.....this is the place to be!
High Pressure Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHJune 13, 2016
The business is very high pressure during peak and non-peak seasons. You must get daily credit card application during non-peak seasons to where that is one of the things you are just focusing on.
great company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAJune 13, 2016
This is a great company to work for. You can move up fast in the company also benefits where nice. The discount you get working there is unbelievable
Pros
great discount
Cons
long managment hours
professional work environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILJune 13, 2016
i loved who i worked with at kays just as much as i loved the job. there was a thrill of sale that we got to experience together as a coworkers that i can never forget. we would actually help each other get a sale for the betterment of the store. this i haven't experienced anywhere else but kays
Pros
professional work environment, discount on certain jewelry
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kay Jewelers. Our community is ready to answer.