Kay Jewelers

Kay Jewelers Employer Reviews

Could have been a good job, but hours and management team, not out for a good team effort.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Jeffersonville, OHJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: great company discounts
Cons: long hours, and sometimes up to 9 straight days, without a day off. very hard to have a happy family life.
Opening required putting out all jewelry each morning, and closing required putting it all away. Shipped and received all repairs each day. Reconciled each day, and made daily deposits. Processed credit applications, inspected and diamond tested jewelry, and daily audits of jewelry.
I learned a great deal about all the metals and irons and different types of rodium used to make up the different colors of gold. Learned all the different types of cuts and clarities, and how different vendors use different styles to make a more brilliant diamond.
Management was a whole new ball game for me, as I had never worked retail before.
My co-workers were some of the best people I have ever had the opportunity to work with, a great set of people.
The hardest part of this job for me was the fact that we worked in an outlet mall and we could go for hours, seemed like days and not see a customer!
The most enjoyable part of this job for me was the satisfied smile of a client, who made the purchase to make someone else happy with that gift, or of someone who smiled so big with the purchase that they had made for themselves.
Challenging job, always busy
Jewelry consultant (Former Employee), Plattsburgh, NYJanuary 19, 2015
Kay Jewelers is part of the Sterling group, owning other names such as Jarods, Shaws, Beldons, Zales, Piercing Pagoda just to name a few. The company is very sales driven which means it can be good as you work on commission with a base pay. The challenge is meeting your sales goal along with the other five standards set daily.
Working with every person on staff as your schedule changes daily was a lot of fun. Everyone brings something different to the sales and customer perspective so if you have an open mind it can be a very big help.
As for the most enjoyable part of my job, it was working with the many different people who shopped at the store(s) I worked in.
Not having a regular schedule to follow was sometimes the hardest part of the job. Trying to make family plans and sometimes even vacations could be a challenge. There was "special" events almost monthly and you had to be prepared, making 50-100 or more calls a day, sending invitations and setting appointments, so your time off had to revolve around things like this.
great company to work for
Asst. Manager (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJanuary 17, 2015
always learning something new
they provided all the tools needed to do well with the job
Fast Growing and Faster Paced
Third Key Manager (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 16, 2015
Kay Jewelers is part of one of the largest jewelry companies in the world. If you are willing to put in the time there are great opportunities to move up. The best part of this job is getting to put a smile on someone's face when they pick out something they love.
Interesting and fast pace Environment.
Full time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Palmdale, CAJanuary 14, 2015
I enjoy working with customer and Kay Jewelers were able to meet those needs. Working for this company has heighten my skill of customer service, selling techniques and office work. Management had it's strong points and weak points just depends on the situation. Working for this company has taught me that I do not belong on the non-management team but instead leading the team. The hardest part of my job was smiling threw disappointing situations i.e customer or even my co-workers. At first it was not easy but over time i learn that many things are not worth a frown and it can be fix with a smile and level headed talking. The most enjoyable part of my job is hearing a customer tell me how satisfied they are with my service and that will return because of that. Knowing that listening and following all their needs can mean so much especially because there is so much competition around.
fun and challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clifton Park, NYJanuary 3, 2015
a very fun work environment. everyone is very nice and laid back. I really enjoyed working on a one on one basis with a customer.
A lot of opportunities for growth
Assistant Manager / Sales (Current Employee), Stamford, CTJanuary 3, 2015
Kay Jeweler's has a lot of benefits including health insurance, 401k, stock savings plan, tuition reimbursement, PTO and vacation. The company gives fair bonuses to management and incentive trips. The hours are less than ideal but with all things considered, the busiest selling hours are nights and weekends. As long as all standards are met, the company is generally a good company to work for. Negatives with the company are that the more they grow the less the staff matters, this year the company announced they will be opening on Thanksgiving Day.
fun work place
Jewelry Sales Associate (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJanuary 1, 2015
i learned a lot about stones, their meanings, their hardness, and how to create a personalized ring.
good company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Indiana, PADecember 31, 2014
i enjoyed working with Kays during the hoilday season. once it was over so was all of my hours. i can't say a bad word about Kays
great place
Sales associate (Former Employee), Middletown, NYDecember 29, 2014
Pros: people i worked with
Cons: short breaks
loved the people i worked with i learned alot of things about jewelry
productive and enjoyable workplace
3rd key manager (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLDecember 17, 2014
stay busy through your shift and have many different aspects of the job. Management is understanding and accommodating. Great place to work.
Challenging job
Sales Associate-Full Time (Former Employee), Hillcrest Heights, MDDecember 16, 2014
Competitive selling fine jewelry. Hardest part of this job is being able to convince customers on why they NEED jewelry. Connecting with customers on an intimate level and being a part of their experience in buying special gifts is the best part of the job. The pay does not equal the amount of hard work you put into your job. Co-workers were fun and helpful at team selling.
Production
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Saginaw MIDecember 16, 2014
Really enjoyed the job will go back any day or time. Managers are great people to work. Very understanding and easy to work for as long as you do your work.
Educational Work Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), 255 East Basse Rd #150December 11, 2014
every day was a new learning experience and I loved it. every day was different and every costumer was a chance to learn something new. I had a lot of fun learning as much as I did about everything from the jewelry to paper work.
Positive workplace with a good manager.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Waterford, CTNovember 25, 2014
Pros: excellent training
Cons: threats of being fired were continual and exhausting
A typical day at work begins routinely, with merchandise counts, but from there the workday has such a variable energy. With the vast number of clients and different needs, it made for WONDERFUL work day.

The training is continuous and very thorough. Co-workers, in my store, were motivated and helpful, the majority of the time. And we did a lot of team selling.

The hardest part of the job was the continual threat of being fired. Weekly, if your standards were not 6 for 6. In the end, the reason I left my job, after 10 years, was that the environment became very hostile when the 'third key' became extremely aggressive and unfair. While we all had standards to attain, she capitalized on her position as 'acting management' and took over customers without giving others any part of the sale.

The best part of the job was to create a bond and to see a couple go from a 'friendship' ring to five years down the road, sell them a Mother's ring to celebrate their first child ! I really developed many long term friendships, with whom I am still in touch.
Great camaraderie ....
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Springfield, ORNovember 22, 2014
Pros: discount on jewelry, flexible with your schedule
The pay is decent, and employee discount is awesome, plus being able to work with jewelry is exciting. Discount on jewelry, flexible with your schedule
Ok job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Westland, MINovember 20, 2014
• Ring up customer sales; make exchanges, process returns and pick-ups.
• Skilled multi-tasking, adept at addressing more than one customer need or task at a time.
• Skillful at up selling and persuading customers to make multiple purchases in a single visit.
• Able to effectively manage issues when the supervisor is unavailable.
• Get tasks and training completed in a timely matter.
• Ensure customers are satisfied and eager to return based on excellent customer service I provide.
• Open and close the store.
• Train other associates.
Comfortable environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Laguna Hills, CANovember 9, 2014
Meeting different customers and working with friendly co-workers is what I look forward to everyday I go to work.
Sales
Office Assistant/Sales (Former Employee), Nashua, NHNovember 7, 2014
Typical retail holiday hours and craziness. fun environment though.
No work/life balance
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Lake Geneva, WINovember 6, 2014
The hardest part for me was not having a life outside of work. If you enjoy being challenged daily and living to work, this job is for you.

1 2 3 4 5

About Kay Jewelers

There's more in store at Sterling Jewelers than sterling silver. The jewelry firm sells gold, silver, diamond, and gemstone jewelry, – Read more