Kaydon Corporation Employee Reviews

High turnover rate for essential personnel at all levels at the Sumter SC facility
Engineer (Former Employee), Sumter, SCApril 7, 2014
Pros: great employees
Cons: high turnover rates
In the time I worked there went through 3 Quality Managers and they still have not replaced the last one they fired and it has been almost a year since he was let go. 3 different Plant Managers as well. In my short tenure there we lost around 20 key upper management and engineering staff members to other local companies that pay better and offer a better job work/life balance.

If you make the effort to work with the shop floor personnel you will find they know a lot and can help you become successful at Kaydon. They are also great people and they are what makes working at Kaydon worth while.

Also, it helps if you already have a good working knowledge of bearings as well.

Management is more consumed on someone having a piece of paper than someone actually having the skills to get the job done. I witnessed them hire two people both with Masters Degrees that could not get the job done. One lasted a year and the other lasted 4 months.
Exciting times are month-end
General Accountant (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: lack of management
Enjoyed my co-workers and the most enjoyable part of the job happened during month-end. During closing the books, things really picked up and you need to be prepared for the stress of being able to report on-time.
Animosity within
Helpdesk Team Leader (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIMay 30, 2013
Pros: good starting pay, good vacation time package
Cons: lots of travel, understaffed on helpdesk and co-worker relationships are hostile.
This company has a few named people that ruin the IT experience for the rest of the organization. Most the organization is remote support staff, in charge of their pertinent locations across the nation. The main staff is located within Muskegon, MI where there's 2 people that make your day/life hell! These are co-workers . . not even management, that treat you like your a 4 year old child, and the other is a straight up ahole that makes you feel dumb.

Minus these 2 individuals (the reason i quit personally) the work here is not bad at all! They are proactive in their IT Infrastructure and look to progress with technology trends. . . though they are behind in Operating Systems and workstation IA/administration.

July 1, 2013

If you were their leader how did they undermine you? We're you given the proper authority to manage them? What other role did they play in your leaving?

Overall Kaydon is a good company to work for.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Current Employee), Sumter, SCFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: good benefits package, safety celebrations, great co-workers, tuition reimbursement
Cons: 1 person hr department, not enough time to get all the work completed.
Kaydon is a good company to work for. A typical day at Kaydon in Human Resources is very challenging. The reason I say that is because we are in the process of closing one of our plants in Sumter. We are tryig to place all of our employees at one of our other locations here in Sumter so that we do not have to layoff any of our employees. I have been with Kaydon for 10 years and have learned and grown in my position as an HR Manager. I am typically involved in alot of the decisions that are made with my plant. I have recently completed my Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts. The management at Kaydon Plant 4 have a positive can do attitude which makes working with the team easy. The hardest part of my job is ensuring that it gets done in a timely manner. I am the only one in the HR Department so it all falls on me. Another hard part of my job is at this time we are closing the plant that I work at and we are in the process of transferring employees to one of our other locations and it is hard seeing them leave thought I am glad we could place them at another location. Seeing a plant close that has been in the community as long as this one has is extremely difficult. I am a working HR Manager and love every minute of dealing with the employees, helping them with benefits issues, payroll, etc. The most enjoyable part of my job is when we have positive information for the employees or we have met another safety milestone and can enjoy a cookout with the employees that helped us get to those milestones.
CNC Operator
CNC Operator (Former Employee), Sumter, SCFebruary 25, 2013
•Set up and operate or tend machines, such as furnaces, baths, flame-hardening machines, and electronic induction machines that harden, anneal, and heat-treat metal.
•Inspect work pieces for defects, and measure work pieces to determine accuracy of machine operation, using rules, templates, or other measuring instruments.
•Record times that parts are removed from furnaces to document that objects have attained specified temperatures for specified times.
•Determine types and temperatures of baths and quenching media needed to attain specified part hardness, toughness, and ductility, using heat-treating charts and knowledge of methods, equipment, and metals.
•Remove parts from furnaces after specified times, and air dry or cool parts in water, oil brine, or other baths.
Relaxed environment for precise production of quality work.
Skilled Machine Operator (CNC Tri-axial (Former Employee), Mocksville, NCAugust 7, 2012
Pros: the management, coworkers, and operations created an amazing work place.
Cons: i was unable to relocate with them when they moved.
A typical day at Kaydon involved setting up and operating machines. Occasionally refurbishing of product after sometime of use out on the work field. Not a day went by that I didn't learn something new or had interesting tasks. The management knew of the importance of how moral boosted production of the employees, and the employees worked together in timely fashion as a team to meet deadlines. The products that Kaydon, a ball bearing manufactury, produced were for such fields as security, health, and technology had precise specifications and operations that had to be signed off for the next operations
Very good work atmosphere
Specalist A Machinist (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIJune 9, 2012
Pros: learned alot of new procedures
Cons: management was not upfront with reviews
I truly enjoyed every day on the job and was comfortable learning the new product line. Everyone was very helpful and there were alot of new things i had never been involved with.
Management was easy to work with at local level .
Leadman (Former Employee), Greeneville, TNApril 29, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no advancement for hourly employees
Was a good company to work for until they let profits override loyalty of employees