KB Home Employee Reviews

Decent homebuilder
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 15, 2017
Stressful environment with little loyalty
Low cost producer
Unstable local management
Good Benefits
Review of KB Home
New Home Sales Counselor/ Internet Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJune 14, 2016
I have always wanted to work for a New Home Builder. I have learned a lot in the year and a half that I've been there. Great company, great management, and okay co-workers. The only thing I really do not enjoy is my compensation. I work super hard and I have made the company a very good profit, but I think I should be compensated what I'm really worth.
Good corporate culture, may or may not be reflected in your division.
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2016
We have good benefits, good pay, and a diverse work staff with managers of color. Every quarter, however, we seem to be in the hot seat. Hard work and long hours are frequently required. All and all, its not a bad job at all and I'm grateful to have it. Working at KB Home is a positive experience.
Unethical enviroment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2016
Management uses job security pressure against its sales team members and uses same hard pressure towards customers. Did not own up to mistakes made that customers have to live with. Will place sales members at under performing communities as punishment.
Pros
Training
Cons
Culture, pay system, work life balance
Churn and Burn organization
Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 2, 2016
I worked in a department with 5 full time employees and was there slightly less than 3 years. In total there were 8 people who filled those 5 positions and by the time I left I was second in seniority; the most senior person had 2 months more service time than me.

Employees are expendable, turnover is greater than 50%. Absolutely no appreciation from your supervisors. When I was there, the recruiters even admitted that they were a churn and burn organization; that is where I got that term from. It is kind of ironic that the recruiters have an office in the building, but they are contractors rather than actual employees.
Pros
Corporate office is in Westwood, so nice if you like that part of town
Cons
Mediocre pay and benefits, you are a small, unimportant cog.
KB Home
Vice President Finance (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 21, 2016
Company left South Carolina when the housing bust occurred in 2007 and 2008. Company did not do a good job of managing this territory and consequently left because of this.
Pros
Good Experience working for a high volume home builder
Cons
Company did not do a good job managing potential home owner clients
Good working environment.
Forward Planning Manager. (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, Az.January 5, 2017
Position of Forward Planning Manager working on major land development projects in the greater Phoenix area. Good company with cohesive positive team environment.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
No notable cons.
Pass
Constructions Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2017
Scheduling, inspecting and ensuring a quality built house while meeting all city and third party inspection requirements. Complete houses in a shorter amount of time and maintain high CSI ratings by giving excellent customer care.
Unprofessional environment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2012
Hands down, the worse company I have ever worked for. Considering they have filtered through 30+ sales people in less than a year and cannot get qualified people now to work for them because of their horrific reputation in thge Austin area. They have a culture of encouraging lying, misrepresenting and falsify information to Corporate/Stock Holders to look like sales are better than what they are. They continually are being investigated by HR for stereotyping/racial comments in meetings. Senior management gossips about other co-workers continually. They prolong commission payments so that you remain in draw. Non rewarding, harsh environment. Classless group of people.
Pros
benefits decent.
Cons
offensive, unprofessional work environment.
Overall a good company but they have their share of challenges
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 30, 2012
I worked for KB HOME between 2007 and 2008 having initially started there as a temp and eventually being hired on due to my merit and hard work. The division I worked for (KB URBAN) was a great place to work however there were a lot of challenges to our division due to changes with the executive management. These changes led to a lot of uncertainty and several of our good managers leaving. We got hit really hard by the economic downturn in the real estate market and the division was eventually dissolved. Overall the positions were well-paying.
Pros
good pay, nice offices, good benefits
Cons
some poor managers
Good company to work for, offered professional massages
Receptionist / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2013
greet customers, answering phones, delivering inner office mail, setting appointments.
In's and out's of home building.
Management was helpful in many area's and also pitched in when short staffed.
Fun group to work with, team players, knowledgable, passionate about the job.
Learning all the extension's of all the employee's on staff.
Seeing happy new home owners, working with a great team of employee's
Pros
team efforts in all aspects of job, benefits, company lunches
Cons
Short staffed, not given more updated office equipment
Tampa Division of KB Home
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 11, 2015
The Tampa Division of KB Home is very mismanaged. They don't have automation that is critical to todays building practices. Scheduling software is a must. They don't have even flow production and created many bottle necks which sacrificed cycle time and vendors ability to schedule work effectively. They haven't hit production goals since re-opening the division in 2012. They don't see individual employee contributions.
Pros
The Benefits from the Corporation are Outstanding
professional and evolving
Assistant Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAAugust 16, 2016
very professional environment, everyone takes pride in their jobs and what they do. Very friendly and professional towards each other. Always can ask for help and can help.
New home sales
Sales (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 7, 2015
It will take you a year to see real income! Management could care less about you. This company has issues, they will hire you with unrealistic promises.. Training is horrible! You will have to the patience to learn their C3 system for witch is flawed to the max. Check out the turnover! Not many last over 2 years! I've worked for top builders and this BY FAR is the worst! Do yourself a favor and keep looking.

Positive..Benefits are great!
Orlando div had good bonuses. (Jax division HORRIBLE!)
Pros
Not many
Cons
See above
Production builder, track homes
Senior Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 19, 2012
A production builder with a culture of get it done faster. Generally worked with people who had little or no construction skills at both the upper management and counter part level. Quality in workmanship was less important than getting it done faster and faster. Primarily built for investors at the peak of the construction boom. The majority of whom lost their investment in foreclosures.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
high pressure on subs, lack of compassion from company
Unorganized
Builder (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 13, 2012
When I worked there, it was in the final years of the homebuilding boom of the last decade, so I don't feel it applies any more. At that time nobody really had a great handle what to do and how to keep up, so basically it was anything goes. KB is a good company at it's core and has great training and principles. It's just at the time I worked there, local management lost track of that (which is why they are no longer there).
Pros
good salary and benefits, great team building exercises.
Cons
lack of direction, too many "yes" men.
Overall, not a bad place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CAAugust 1, 2012
Overall, great group of people to work with. More communication between divisions would help people in similar jobs. Interesting projects. Many jobs are mobile - people often work from various project sites or from home. Unfortunately, subject to hiring spikes and layoffs, as the market for homes peaks and dips.
Pros
flexible work schedule, interesting projects, good pay, comprehensive benefits package
Cons
layoffs due to market fluctuations, silo'd it systems that don't "talk" to each other, only 2 weeks of vacation
Excellent training and very professional. Treat employees wonderful.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 26, 2012
One of the best companies that I have ever worked for. I was able to grow and excel in what I love to do, which is assist customers with achieving the american dream of homeownership.
Pros
excellent training, great benefits
Cons
however, the work/life balance is not that great.
This is a great company to work for
Executive Assistant / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 20, 2013
I loved working for KB Home. Lots of room for advancement, continuous KB education, amazing benefits and great people to work for and with. KB really cares about their employees.

Also, the recruitment team is amazing!
Pros
Every Friday is business casual day
Cons
I have nothing but good things to say about KB Home
Great place to work, good people, benifits
KB HOME Division Safety & Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 31, 2014
Good working relationships, management is fair, benefits are average, workplace environment is above average for the industry.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
presure to complete jobs intence environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KB Home. Our community is ready to answer.