Keck Medical Center of USC Employee Reviews

Integrity and commitment to excellence.
Help Desk Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2014
Keck Medical Center of USC has been the best job I have ever had. I have learn so much from working with such professionals that I am ingratitude towards them for life. Although I am no longer a Trojan, the Trojan culture will always be remembered.

A typical day would be very busy! But that was the fun and exciting part about the job. I learned how to deal with pressure and people at the same time. I learn the importance of a team due to the nature of the job --it's a hospital so peoples lives are at stake!

Everyone there was about helping each other and working as a team. Management had a challenge to undergo with the size of the team and the responsibility that comes with have peoples lives at risk if the team is not up to par. However, I was always treated with courtesy and a joy.

The hardest part of the job consisted of managing it all today. There was over 200 applications we supported, over 300 calls a day in a 8-10 staffed 1st shift, 2-4 staff 2nd shift and 1-2 staff 3rd shift. However once you get use to the flow, once you pick up on the system or establish a system for yourself that works with the team, then it's one of the most enjoyable jobs out there. It was a privilege to work with the Health Sciences Information Technology Team. So much to learn from them as well.
Pros
prestigious educational organization, help saving lives, and working with and around computers all day.
Cons
shift change.
Great learning experience
Community Benefit and Outreach Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2014
The Community Benefit and Outreach department is a new department at Keck Medical Center of USC. As an intern, my main responsibility is to help this department develop. During my first days there, I realized that they did not have a database to keep track of all the grants, sponsorships and other funding given to the not-for-profit organizations. As a result I proposed to create a database in Microsoft Access to make the award giving process more efficient. Currently, I am developing this database but I also participate in the different community outreach events we have within the organization such as toy drives and health promotion campaigns. Besides the knowledge I have gained from this department, I have also learned about the different departments within a big medical organization.

In general, it is a great environment with friendly co-workers always willing to help. The organization tried its best to integrate all the workers in activities to interact with each other.
Pros
new offices, friendly co-workers
Cons
challenging, big work loads
Great place to work with Staff and Hospital Administration. I was advanced quickly and enjoyed my work.
Accounts Payable Specialist then Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 19, 2013
I was able to learn quite a bit from my co-workers and management. This aided me in doing a good job and keeping my records up to date. I was being crossed trained by the other hospital that was located in our office in order to help with the completion of duties when necessary. We all worked as a fine tuned machine helping and getting along with each other.
The hardest part of my job was the commute to Los Angeles from Ontario, CA. I had to catch the Metrolink train at 5:20AM and didn't get home until 4:30 or 5:30 when I had to work overtime.
Pros
cafeteria located in hospital and food discounts, excellent benefilts and wonderful people to work with.
Cons
management changes occured often and procedures changed.
staff is very helpful and all new equipment in every unit
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2013
great stat to the day most of the stocking is done by the night shift during the daytime it's super busy. I learned lots of skill in ICU gained many skills. management is the best very nice and are always willing to help if needed. co-workers are very well trained and are very professional. makes the day go by faster and its always nice to help other co-workers that say thank you. the hardest part of the job is when a patients die.
Pros
doctors always povide us with free lunch
Cons
there are no cons
Work at USC Hospital
Operating Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 30, 2013
Every day at Keck Medical Center of USC is different day. Keck is a teaching hospital. We have over 26 operating rooms and very busy operating. I like working at Keck Medical Center of USC, because we are one of the best hospitals in Los Angeles. Every day is challenging because of the difficulty cases we perform. Every day a learning experience. I grt a long very well with my co-workers. The hardest part is, when we are under staffed some one works header.
Pros
we get free lunches on special occations.
Cons
free gym
Fun and Friendly
PCT/CNA (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 4, 2015
It is fun place to work with different typs of people from all walks of life. this is a hospital school and its always trying new and exciting things. management is ok like in any corp. there's always room for improvement, my co workers are great I love working with them. The hardest thing for me is living over 100 miles from my work and not being able to home with my family at night. I enjoy everything about this hospital
Pros
one of the best places to work
Cons
im far away from my family
A good teaching Hospital with more advanced surgeries
Circulating Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2013
I worked mixed hours in OR, learned multi skills in short period of time for circulating all kinds of surgeries beside lungs and heart. I am a good team player and get well along with my co workers. The hardest part of job is always with stress e.g. short of hands, poor organization and less communications. The most enjoyable part of my job is my patients' care and my saving patients' life on daily base.
Diverse group of people; opportunity to grow;
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2014
I started here as a new grad. Overall there are opportunities to learn and grow as a nurse. They offer classes and support. Nurses are protected by union, which is required if you work here. When it comes to management, there is a lot of favouritism. We have good nurses and doctors.
Pros
opportunity to grow, good benefits
Cons
managers practice favouritism;
Growing health system
Manager, Hospital Operations (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2013
Mentored in healthcare management by organization's CEO and executive leadership team. Primary decision support for senior leadership. Developed skill sets in project management and business development in conjunction with a comprehensive understanding of how to extract and analyze data for problem solving.
Poor morale, employees exploited, poorly regarded.
PR & Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesDecember 22, 2014
This review pertains to the PR & Marketing department. Employees are not valued and are treated like they are a dime a dozen. Keep piling work on people and blame them when stuff doesn't get done. Not worth the low pay and dwindling benefits. Management is the worst.
disappointed
LVN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2015
The doctors and most co-workers are AMAZING, and work really hard, but there is a BIG disconnect between management and staff, and there is no support what-so-ever. A lot of favoritism, Low Moral, extremely over worked and under-compensated.
Pros
good benefits/401K
Cons
NO room to grow - Its not what you know but who you know
Good environment with dedicated workers
Supervisor, Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 25, 2015
Supervised staff, delegated duties to staff, handled large volume of calls, set up for staff meeting, any emergency health hazards around facility, inventory of supplies, ordered supplies and unloaded supplies.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
no room for growth
Productive and great place to work
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2014
a typical day of work for me is very busy. my co-workers are great. very team oriented and helpful. the hardest part of the job is when I get really sick patients who are my age. But the most fun part is the happiness seen on my patients face by the care I give.
Refund Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alhambra, CAJanuary 5, 2016
Refund team is a great team to work its alot of team work very helpful coworkers, company has great management I have learned to communicate better with insurance companies always learning new things everyday.
Pros
great managements
Cons
supervisor seems lost most of the time
last place you want to work
rad tech (Current Employee) –  LAJune 6, 2015
Department is underpaid and understaffed.
Admin is unprofessional, many MD is out of school, clueless....
Everyone is afraid to make decision.
Patient care is bad, $ is bottom line.
East LA culture dominates...
Pros
dont see much
Cons
to many to say, most co workers VERY Leisy
working for usc
Medical Assistant/ schduler (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 8, 2016
working usc was a good experiences I learned a lot from them. a typical day there is busy but their is slow days as well. the management is hard to tell about due to the manger being in LA. but overall it was a good experiences
Excellent company
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 19, 2015
Absolutely great place to work for. Colleagues all around are great. USC is all about education and respect. Are compatible but still need some catching up to do with wages in some departments.
Pros
best place
Cons
parking
Very productive and well balanced job
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2012
Working at USC is great. I work on the graveyard shift which can be very busy at times. It allows the time to fly and I work with a great crew.
Pros
benefits, pay, co-workers
Cons
short breaks, no lunches at times
It is challenge everyday
Clinic assistant (Current Employee) –  Los angelesMarch 14, 2014
Management is horrible!!! It depends who you know to get somewhere. Some people have a job and all they is sit there on fb and read while others are workingt. Really poor management
benefits
Cons
worst job ever
No place for growth
Customer Service Representative/ Call Center (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 30, 2015
It is a very busy high call volume call center, management is not very compassionate, you dont get noticed for your hard work. Co-workers are nice. Pay can be a lot better.