Keck Medical Center of USC

Keck Medical Center of USC Employee Reviews

Poor nursing administration
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Keck Medical Center of USCJanuary 3, 2017
Nursing administration is deplorable. They do not adequately staff their units. It is not a good place to work. The hospital is nice but considering it is an academic facility it often has broken equipment. Sad.
Horrible place to work management is horrible
Insurance Verifier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2016
Worked here for almost two years 1 full year as a temp they never hire permanent until forever. Management has no idea what their doing it's like a circus everyday. It's all about favoritism & kissing the bosses butt. This is the exact dept I worked in pre arrival/surgery dept. the manager didn't even know how to do our job but would complain everyday & want to get you in trouble. No one lasts in this dept they all come in go. Lost a lot of good employees for their horrible management skills. No time to take breaks or lunches because so much to do would tell them they did nothing about it. Good luck trying to work here in this dept pre arrival.
Great benefits.
Pathologists' Assistant / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2016
Typical day use to be enjoyable then it got very political and stressful

What I learned working here is that your qualifications and experience don't matter , only who you know.

Mgt people skills were far below acceptable

Most co-workers were fantastic to work with but it wasn't enough to keep me there.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with the difficult personalities that administration never seemed to do anything about.

My immediate co workers were the best thing.
benefits
Cons
hard to get breaks, unsupportive Mgt with no integrity
If you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 3, 2016
• Performed EKGs
• Performed blood draws
• Assisted with cystoscopies, vasectomies and circumcisions
• Took vital signs to assist all doctors
Not Worth The Headache
laboratory staff... (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 27, 2016
This hospital does not practice what they preach. Ethical behavior is lacking in management, but favoritism is acceptable and obvious throughout the department. Most hospitals encourage employees to report patient care and procedural problems, and then reward you for it. This department will not fix reported issues, and will retaliate against you if you report them. If you decide to apply here, keep your head down and be the voiceless worker bee they want.
Pros
They spend a lot of money on flowers and trees, so it looks nice
Cons
Favoritism. Does not offer competitive pay. Hires inexperienced staff.
Great place to master your skills
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 14, 2016
A typical day means 7 ENT case back-to-back. Hospital is a teaching institution that is always looking for the next big thing in medicine. Ample opportunity to work with top-noch surgeon and advance equipment.
Pros
Top-notch surgeon and advance equipment
Cons
Case load
Rn
CCU/PACU Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2016
Very nice place to work. Excellent pay and benefits. I enjoyed working for such a great Hospital.
There's opportunities to grow and educational support.
Pros
money and benefits
Cons
different hours
Positive and Fun environment to work in!
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2016
I enoy every part of working at this hospital. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. A typical work day always includes lots of orginization and strict protocol to follow. Management is very helpful and is there for any concerns or needs of employees and other staff. My coworkers are very good communicators and provide excellent care towards patients. The hardest part of the job is not being able to heal every patient all at once. The most enoyable part of the job is having an extra hand in helping save patients lives.
Pros
Union support, Work compensation
Cons
not enough full time availability
working for usc
Medical Assistant/ schduler (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 8, 2016
working usc was a good experiences I learned a lot from them. a typical day there is busy but their is slow days as well. the management is hard to tell about due to the manger being in LA. but overall it was a good experiences
Refund Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alhambra, CAJanuary 5, 2016
Refund team is a great team to work its alot of team work very helpful coworkers, company has great management I have learned to communicate better with insurance companies always learning new things everyday.
Pros
great managements
Cons
supervisor seems lost most of the time
Excellent company
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 19, 2015
Absolutely great place to work for. Colleagues all around are great. USC is all about education and respect. Are compatible but still need some catching up to do with wages in some departments.
Pros
best place
Cons
parking
Amazing
student nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2015
I trained here for my student preceptorship and it has been my best clinical experience ever. The hospital is excellent, with absolutely wonderful nurses!
disappointed
LVN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2015
The doctors and most co-workers are AMAZING, and work really hard, but there is a BIG disconnect between management and staff, and there is no support what-so-ever. A lot of favoritism, Low Moral, extremely over worked and under-compensated.
Pros
good benefits/401K
Cons
NO room to grow - Its not what you know but who you know
Good environment with dedicated workers
Supervisor, Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 25, 2015
Supervised staff, delegated duties to staff, handled large volume of calls, set up for staff meeting, any emergency health hazards around facility, inventory of supplies, ordered supplies and unloaded supplies.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
no room for growth
last place you want to work
rad tech (Current Employee) –  LAJune 6, 2015
Department is underpaid and understaffed.
Admin is unprofessional, many MD is out of school, clueless....
Everyone is afraid to make decision.
Patient care is bad, $ is bottom line.
East LA culture dominates...
Pros
dont see much
Cons
to many to say, most co workers VERY Leisy
Fun and Friendly
PCT/CNA (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 4, 2015
It is fun place to work with different typs of people from all walks of life. this is a hospital school and its always trying new and exciting things. management is ok like in any corp. there's always room for improvement, my co workers are great I love working with them. The hardest thing for me is living over 100 miles from my work and not being able to home with my family at night. I enjoy everything about this hospital
Pros
one of the best places to work
Cons
im far away from my family
Poor morale, employees exploited, poorly regarded.
PR & Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesDecember 22, 2014
This review pertains to the PR & Marketing department. Employees are not valued and are treated like they are a dime a dozen. Keep piling work on people and blame them when stuff doesn't get done. Not worth the low pay and dwindling benefits. Management is the worst.
Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2014
The volunteers are treated well. The staff is friendly and inviting! It is a great place to get experience in the field of Occupational Therapy.
Diverse group of people; opportunity to grow;
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2014
I started here as a new grad. Overall there are opportunities to learn and grow as a nurse. They offer classes and support. Nurses are protected by union, which is required if you work here. When it comes to management, there is a lot of favouritism. We have good nurses and doctors.
Pros
opportunity to grow, good benefits
Cons
managers practice favouritism;
Integrity and commitment to excellence.
Help Desk Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2014
Keck Medical Center of USC has been the best job I have ever had. I have learn so much from working with such professionals that I am ingratitude towards them for life. Although I am no longer a Trojan, the Trojan culture will always be remembered.

A typical day would be very busy! But that was the fun and exciting part about the job. I learned how to deal with pressure and people at the same time. I learn the importance of a team due to the nature of the job --it's a hospital so peoples lives are at stake!

Everyone there was about helping each other and working as a team. Management had a challenge to undergo with the size of the team and the responsibility that comes with have peoples lives at risk if the team is not up to par. However, I was always treated with courtesy and a joy.

The hardest part of the job consisted of managing it all today. There was over 200 applications we supported, over 300 calls a day in a 8-10 staffed 1st shift, 2-4 staff 2nd shift and 1-2 staff 3rd shift. However once you get use to the flow, once you pick up on the system or establish a system for yourself that works with the team, then it's one of the most enjoyable jobs out there. It was a privilege to work with the Health Sciences Information Technology Team. So much to learn from them as well.
Pros
Prestigious Educational Organization, Help saving lives, and working with and around computers all day.
Cons
Shift change.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Keck Medical Center of USC. Our community is ready to answer.

Keck Medical Center of USC Reviews by Location