Keenan & Associates

Keenan & Associates United States Employee Reviews

Awesome company with future expansion opportunities
Claims Assistant (Former Employee), Rancho Cordova, CADecember 23, 2014
Pros: great benefits, lots of employee moral boosting functions
The daily shifts were very flexible depending on your job/life balance. They offered the 9/80 schedule and would also work with you if you had a commute. I took IEA classes to further myself with the company, which was provided by the company. Management had an "open door" policy, which they took very seriously. My coworkers and I got along very well, everyone was very personable, as well as professional. I loved the constant pace of the work, but sometimes it would be a tad overwhelming. I loved developing the relationships with clientele and working closely with vendors as well as clients.
fast growing place
Sr. Claims Examiner (Former Employee), San Jose, CADecember 11, 2014
enjoyed working there, nice location. A lot of work, a lot of support keeps you very busy
Good company
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Westlake Village, CANovember 22, 2014
Worked for a short period of time. Overall was a good company to work for.
Strange Working environment
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee), TorranceSeptember 25, 2014
This place was very clicky,,It was who you know that made the difference
The Corporate Experience
Sales and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Torrance, CASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: slow pace
While insurance can be sort of on the dull side, Keenan is a very stable company. When I worked there, it was a corporate type of setting. I was able to learn and grow but at a very slow pace. Work life balance was a plus there and I love Dan Keenan, he was very fun to work with. I would recommend Keenan to anyone.
Supportive Legal Team
PRIME Bill Review Specialist (Former Employee), Torrance, CAJuly 30, 2014
Legal team are supportive and nice to work with...very trusting, understanding and patient.
Enjoyed my interaction with the various school districts
Account Coordinator (Former Employee), Torrance, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: enjoyed my time with my clients
Cons: n/a
A typical day consisted of preparing and providing Certificates of Insurance to various school districts on an as-needed basis. I learned a lot about insurance and filing claims; my co-workers were great; the hardest part of the job was learning about the incidents that occurred at the schools - particularly grammar school. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of my clients at the school districts. I worked with over 40 school districts from k-12 to community college districts.
Good atmophere but poorly mismanaged and the examiners receive poor internal customer service
Workers' Compensation Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), San Jose, cAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: poor management, no advancement opportunities, lack of technological tools to increase efficiency
Being a clams examiner is a difficult job and it not for the feint at heart. While Keenan provides it friendly working environment, it's failure to give its examiners technology current with even this millennium make the position incredibly difficult. Furthermore the management team is not business savvy and extremely slow to adapt to the fast changes in the Workers Compensation arena.

There is also a lack of general understanding by management that the demands required far exceed the tools and time available to the examiner complete the requisite tasks. The expectation is that the examiner should be able to stay on top of 150+ claims while also attending training, answering phone calls completing projects best suited for computers to organize the data.

This lack of understanding has gone as far as to warrant a class action lawsuit for claims examiners alleging that Keenan is inappropriately classifying claims examiners as exempt employees to avoid having to pay overtime.

Management is also guilty of obsessive micromanagement to the point that the examiner's have little to no authority but all the responsibility, and the examiner's end up spending 25-33% of their work week solely completing projects to adhere to management's needs rather that attending to those of their claimant's or employers

Organization might be Keenan's weakest point. Many documents are stored in folders on a shared drive allowing the users either write or read access. The documents are not organized and often one may search for 1/2 hour to locate a document that provide information on a particular topic. – more... The claims handling manual is also constructed in the same haphazard fashion except it is unclear as to when the claims handling manual has been updated and what changes in the law have been incorporated into the claims handling process.

The co-workers at Keenan are for the most part an affable bunch, but there is often a lot of gossiping, and political power plays that can sour the mood.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that one if afford the opportunity to learn a great deal about claims handling, workers' compensation law, medical diagnoses and medical treatment as well as how to adapt to complete the necessary work. – less
An experience
Customer Support Supervisor (Current Employee), Torrance, CAAugust 22, 2013
Excellent overall company for benefits and compensation. A typical day at work is chaotic and hectic. Long hours and time commitment. I learned how to rise above chaoes and shine. Management team was ineffective with two high of turnover rate in mangement. My co-worker varied in personalities which could be complicated at times. The hardest part of the job was grasping everything with no mentoring or training. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people outside of management.
Excellent
Eligibility Customer Care (Current Employee), Torrance, CAFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: generous
Great company, I have learned a great deal of customer service skills. I enjoy my manager's desire to better her team. I do not have a hard job. I enjoy my clients and helping them.
Poor management
Sr. Loss Control Consultant (Former Employee), Torrance, CAAugust 12, 2012
Cons: extremely poor management;
A recruiter tried to convince me to NOT go to work with this firm. I ignored his words of wisdom and took the position. Since all I have to say is negative I won't say anything else.
Started to be a "team environment" involved in social activities
Receptionist/Office Support (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 20, 2012
Pros: learning about the business and making friends.
Cons: conflict within my department and still steering the ship
Answer multi-switchboard
Open, coded mail according to each examiner
Stamped all mail
Management got tough - went through changes
Co-workers- have many friends today
Hardest part of job - trying help everyone
Enjoyable part - getting our live Christmas tree and bringing
it back to the office in my car! Social activities, pot lucks
Problem solving: elevator down for repairs - contacted a delivery service who would pick up our mail at a decent time and bring it upstairs.
Great company!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Torrance, CASeptember 9, 2011
Pros: halloween contest between departments
Keenan & Associates is a great company to work for. Fun and exciting! You will feel as you are part of a large family. Upper management really cares about their employees.

About Keenan & Associates

Keenan & Associates¬†brokers a variety of property/casualty insurance policies¬†and financial services to institutional and corporate – Read more