Kenneth Young Center Employee Reviews

Great support and team atmosphere
Child and Family Therapist (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 20, 2017
Typical day depends on your title. As a child and family therapist intern, a typical day consisted of:

Mental Health Assessments, contacting clients assigned to you, complete billings following therapy sessions, reach out to various community resources for your client, engage client and family in therapy sessions, attend group supervision on a weekly basis and individual supervision weekly, attend CCE trainings as necessary, work with the psychiatrist and schools for individual clients, co-facilitate intensive outpatient therapy groups

Time management is essential in this field. Also learned the importance of being self-sufficient but also to ask for help/support when you need it.

Management was fantastic.

Workplace Culture was extremely friendly and laid back.

Hardest part of the job was parental engagement in therapy and time management/getting ahold of various community resources. Also, balancing internship, school, and a full time job.

Most enjoyable part was client interaction and the overall culture of KYC.
Recent organizational change has hurt KYC
Behavioral Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILMay 5, 2017
In short, the position offers a great work life balance. However, with recent organizational change, came distinct changes in how our program was ran. It became more about models and controls and less about helping people. As therapists continue leave, these issues I expect will persist. New leadership is sorely needed. You will struggle to find support beyond what they have outlined for you to do and new ideas are not welcome. A lot of lip service, and backdoor conversations.

The best part of the job is the clients, which is also the most difficult, when an agency like KYC isn't up to par in servicing their needs, or responding to families in a respectable time frame.
Pros
Good for college students looking to get their feet wet. Nothing more.
Cons
Poor leadership, high therapist turnover, more about CONTROLS than people
The Greatest 19.5 years of my life
Reception Coordinator (Former Employee) –  1001 Rohlwing Rd. Elk Grove Village, IL 60007March 12, 2017
My job was a pure pleasure. the first 19.5 years were so fulfilling.
It was an honor and pleasure to work with such caring and down to earth people. I am very grateful for the time I spent there.
I enjoyed working there but not enough hours
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJanuary 30, 2017
I cleaned houses for disabled senior citizens. I dusted and vacuumed, washed floors and cleaned bathrooms. Sometimes I helped them do their laundry.
Pros
working with seniors citizens and spending time getting to know them
Cons
not enough hours and not enough pay
Retail Rip-Fun
Assistant--Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 11, 2017
I didn't mind volunteering there. I like helping people out, I just didn't like knowing that the store is accepting junk. I have to help put it out. As for the enjoyable part of my day, that would be greeting customers and helping them with their purchases and making sure they are happy with what they find. I say Rip-fun because you donate things and we end up getting junk (rip off), but then sometimes we get great things (fun). And I can see why Kenneth young didn't stay in business long.
Productive, reliable, and supportive work enviornment
Child & Adolescent Behavioral Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILMay 15, 2015
As a Behavioral Support specialist I am part of a team of mentors, counselors, and other staff that is designed to best serve the needs of the client. As a job it provides a lot of flexibility for those who are in college or grad school and it is a fun and rewarding experience.
Pros
Fun, rewarding, educational, productive, and you receive plenty of support from Kenneth Young Staff
Cons
Paperwork to do at home
Good people in a challenging environment...
Child and Adolescent Therapist (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village,ILApril 6, 2015
To begin, I believe that this is a organization composed of good people who want to do good work, and provide a meaningful service to the lives they impact. However, there is a reason that I cannot give this place high remarks as an employee. When I first started, this organization preached a messages of helping people be the best they can. Client care was at the forefront, and learning opportunities to become better were ample. In the last 18 months, this has changed. The management in place cares not for clients,nor about their therapist. I watched the morale drop at this agency to the point that it was hard to find motivation to go here. Management can be very uncaring, often downright disrespectful, to the people which are its most valued resource. Morale here is low, but you will not have a better crew of intelligent and personable individuals supporting you. In my opinion, I would avoid here until a massive culture change takes place. The management on the current team I was on can only be described as aloof, distant, and poor. This organization will lure you in with some of the most rewarding and relevant clinical work and learning you will ever experience, this challenge you as it demands more and more of you to meet an unimportant number that has nothing to do with you as a therapist, but they will make you think it is. This will burn you out. They will make you question yourself, and they will leave you wondering why you come to work on a daily basis for the little pay and bad treatment by the individuals responsible for your growth and the growth of the team. Overall,  more... the organization means well. But currently, I cannot give any endorsement for an individual working here long term.  less
Pros
Great learning, rewarding clinical work, supportive peers
Cons
No work/life balance, poor communication with management, inconsistent organization message
Productive and Excellent Atmosphere in the Workplace
Clinical Therapy Intern, Child & Adolescent Team (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILApril 5, 2015
Learned clinical skills, clinical interventions, and billing. Reported to a supervisor once per week and participated in both a team meeting and group supervision once per week. Independently conducted individual therapy, family therapy, group therapy and case management in order to coordinate care for clients.
Pros
Excellent supervision, great atmosphere and resources.
new employee beware!
Community Support team lead (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJanuary 19, 2015
I was very optimistic and elated to have been chosen for this position. All was well (though my supervisor rushed through training me--3 days of training. On day #5, I was completely on my on, which was not a huge problem because I had ran a program before). Anyway, the issues began on week three when my supervisor, who was/is a therapist had a personal problem with me--I still am unsure as to why. My supervisor became instantly rude and intolerant of me and any questions I had, not that I had many questions anyway. My first supervision with her, I was told to be prepared, which I was, and after starting with my agenda, she told me that I was "negative and to never come in to supervision with negativity again!" In all of my years of supervisions I have always had supervisors that supported me in anyway that I needed help, but this was way different. I am still confused as to how expressing a situation that involved one of my employees breaching a client's confidentiality was & is negative. I tried discussing the matter with her but her negative behaviors continued; therefore, I sought the help of HR. HR was helpful and expressed that they would mediate for me, I was so thankful for their support. I also decided to employ the aide of of my supervisors supervisor (big mistake!), since my supervisor and her boss were best of friends, I did not receive any help. In fact, because of this act of going to my supervisors boss, I was terminated almost immediately. I was shocked! Therefore, I earnestly warn all new potential employees to really consider working for this company. All seems  more... to be great within the company, the employees are very nice, but the moment a problem arises you will be on your own and even terminated for something that is not you fault. There is no support from management.  less
Pros
independent work
Cons
management
Awesome people
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILMay 20, 2014
The salary is small but yearly bonuses are nice. There are lots of opportunities for peer consultation and team work so that you can share and gain support with difficult clients.

Want to know more about Kenneth Young Center?

Ask a question
A great social services agency serving Cook and DuPage Counties
Volunteer Home Services (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, IL.April 30, 2014
I have been working for Kenneth Young as a volunteer representative providing assistance to senior citizens with doctor office visits, and grocery shopping..
Pros
Meaningful recognition of volunteer service
Cons
Non paying position
Concentrate in how mucho you make for them than the quality of your work
child therapist (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove and Hoffman Estates LocationMarch 17, 2014
I work for 9 months. The CEO shows as a nice individual but you never speaks with him once you are hired or if you are fired he does not show any interest to speak to you like he showed when you was hired. The therapist need to complete targets that are out of their reach. Your therapist ability is not appriciated if you are not meeting their target. You are appriciated by how much $$$ you can make for them. They are on top of you all the time and all of the counselors are uhappy but no body say anything. For 2,000 dollars a month they want you to work extra hours which is not fare and they will not pay you extra money. The supervisors and some co workers have friendship which create treatment preferences.
Pros
Some good co workers
Cons
horrible supervisors, gossip, and unrechable targets.
Great team work
Senior Services Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILSeptember 19, 2013
The Kenneth Young Center started off as an internship and ended as a job. I learned so much in one year from the people I worked with. At the Kenneth Young Center everyone worked as a team. There was an open door policy with everyone. If I needed to brain storm about a client I could ask anyone in the building to help me. The Clients were great. Working with seniors is just a blanket term. I encountered Seniors who were homeless, medically challenged, lonely, LGTBQ, just to name a few. Each one was unique, when you got a case you never knew what you were walking into.
Pros
Cons
part time no bennifits
Warm and inviting work environment
SASS counselor Intern (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, ILJune 26, 2013
I enjoyed working here, there are continual CEU training and the environment is warm and inviting. There is always some there and willing to answer any questions you may have and you feel like you are a part of a team. You can definitely tell that everyone enjoys their job.
Unprofessional employees, much gossip, HIPPA regulations not inplace.
Seniors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILMay 28, 2012
Enjoyed what I was doing, which was the billing each and every day. However there was much in-fighting amongest the employee I worked with an another. Many people would probably find it flatering to be fought over, however I found it very stressful. Was only working partime and expected to perform a full time position. In addition had to move around a lot as there were not enough computers for employees to work on. What I learned is that the Social Workers do not have any or very little training on Addiction, something I felt should be mandatory with the types of clients KYC was dealing with. If I offered a warranted suggestion on why not to give money to an addict as they would surely spend it on their addiction and not on the medications they needed to take I would be shot down as though I knew nothing about addicts and their habits. The employees had no desire to learn or to further their knowledge to be more proficient in helping the clients obtain their needs. With addicts I would call the pharmacy and ask that they fill/refill a patients medication monthly and then deliver to patient sending bill to KYC for payment. Never would I give the client money so that they could purchase alcohol, illict drugs or gamble it away and then cry that they have no money to purchase medications. KYC employees need much training in this area as well as HIPPA laws which are broken on a regular basis. Such as employees who gossip about another employee's health status. Giving out personal and medical information is a no-no. For supposedly college grads and certified social workers I found  more... them pretty stupid. The hardest part of the job was trying not to educate people who did not wish to further their knowledge. Most enjoyable part of the job was just having a place to go to every day and a paycheck every two weeks. I really enjoyed working with the other person I worked with and inputting data into a system that was uploaded to the State for payment. Asked many times if I was making mistakes and the person verifying my work said no it was enjoyable to verify my work; yet another said I made many mistakes, however could not provide the data. As for management that depended on the hormones for the day either was the gestopo or unbelievably lax. Would I have enjoyed being hired as a full time employee, considering all the defects? Yes, there were a handful of people I actually admired, and enjoyed conversation with. Just wish more had smiles on their faces the employees would walk through the halls as though they hated their jobs.  less
Pros
had many company functions which were enjoyable.
Cons
only worked 10 hours a week, took no breaks or lunches.