Kensington School

Kensington School Employee Reviews

Great educational place for children to learn
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VASeptember 26, 2016
While working at Kensington I learned how to manage lesson plans for young children in order for them to grow and reach developmental milestones. The hardest part of the job was the distance it took me to drive to and from work. The most enjoyable part of the job was observing the children learn in their natural element and witnessing them reach their milestones.
Pros
Long lunch breaks, friendly people
Cons
No benefits, limited days off
Lack of Organization and Very Little Teaching Time
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MultipleMay 17, 2016
If teaching is a main priority and you have ece
credits/credentials/degrees you should probably look for work elsewhere. You will like this environment if you are purely into playing with the children and caregiving. Through experience, I learned that they are most interested in the infant to twos age groups and will often prioritize those teachers over those who work with the older age groups.

They have an amazing curriculum when it is used to its best advantage, but can be overwhelming due to the extensive amount of it. They also have a nice variety of “specials” such as Spanish, music and yoga.

You will be asked to come in on countless Saturdays for special events and normal days off such as Memorial Day will be working educational, in-service days for employees. You will also be given instructions for multiple classroom projects with very little advance notice by Kensington’s Head office.

The turnover rate is high (as with all daycare centers) and there is definitely a staff hierarchy system set by directors to favored employees and staff cliques.
Pros
Nice curriculum (when allowed to teach), Light, bright classrooms, Variety of extra-curricular specials
Cons
High teacher turnover rate, Very little time off, Lack of director/Head office support for employees
Lesson learned
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Kensington is by far the worst place you can work for. Director(s)/ management are awful. They like to degrade people put them in uncomfortable situations,miscontrue,and manipulate to get their way. The director sits back and worries about dieting and what they're having for lunch while other people are working their buts off. The director takes advantage of employees in every way possible just to cover their own tracks. By far the most unorganized establishment. I don't know how the company survives with their unprofessional lack of management. Upper management does not comply with any issues that are brought up to them. They won't return you call if you have issues with your director or with anyone you work with. Very lazy and poorly ran school..it's very unfortunate for anyone to work there. They make it sound peachy keen in the interview. ..trust me not a company you will go far in!!!
Pros
Cons
Director/management is awful
Supportive management and staff / Amazing Technology
Teacher (Current Employee) –  La Grange, ILDecember 1, 2015
Kensington School truly sets apart preschool from childcare. The opportunities for teacher growth within the company are endless, IF you show the passion for Early Childhood and work ethic. The academics offered here are outstanding! The new technology available for teachers to use with students are endless and exciting to use. I absolutely love using the Tadpoles App to keep in contact with my student's families.

The classrooms are the nicest classrooms I've ever worked in. When something is needed, the administrative office is very supportive to our needs.

Our school recently received NAEYC accreditation and we couldn't be prouder!
Pros
new technology, beautiful classroom, great families, good location
Early Childhood Education at it's BEST!
2s Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILNovember 11, 2015
After graduating with my BA in ECE, I looked at multiple schools for employment. Kensington stands out from other preschools when it comes to having a passion for Early Childhood, curriculum and environment.

The curriculum is a perfect mix of traditional learning with modern trends. The classrooms are clean and beautiful. Of course, as with any job, there are challenges and rigorous days - whoever said Teaching was easy!? Directors do all they can for supporting us and at the end of the day, you love your students and job.
Pros
environrment, location, leadership, flexibility
Strong curriculum, great resources
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILOctober 27, 2015
This is the third child care center I have worked with in the last 12 years. I have stayed with Kensington for 6 years (been at two of their schools) because of the setting, resources, awesome coworkers and great families. The schools and classrooms are beautiful- bright, classrooms with tons of windows, cute furniture etc.
Nearly all the curriculum is provided, as well as classroom needs- you don't have to buy anything yourself, unless you want to add icing to the cake!
I like the swing towards Project Based Learning recently- even though it requires more "work" on my end- the kids LOVE it! I love preschoolers- watching them explore and discover new things!
I am reviewing Kensington because a friend mentioned the negative reviews on here- I was actually pretty surprised to read how snarky people can be- and I felt like I had to post something.
Is Kensington perfect? No. Are they trying? Absolutely.
I've experienced enough child care centers to know that this is among the best. I even did two community service projects last year with other teachers and people from the main office. No other place I worked offered stuff like that. I feel like they are trying to help us build community within our schools and with each other. I can actually call my coworkers my friends and mean it.
I haven't had issues with the "office" at all- I had curriculum questions and they were answered immediately and everyone I've come in contact with at the meetings has been nothing but nice. Unfortunately I think a lot of new teachers come in with expectations that are unrealistic.
  more... You are a TEACHER, but in all fairness, it is a child care center- you will serve food, you will clean a little. You may have to be flexible and gasp- take work home on occasion, but that's all part of the job and what will be best for your students.
Attitude is everything. Keep it positive and you'll have a positive experience. It all comes down to the children.
I plan to stay here for as long as they'll have me!
Pros
Lots of curriculum provided, morale boosters (service projects, "Night Out"), great familes and awesome kids!
Cons
Schedule can shift sometimes to cover needs
preschool teacher
teacher (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, ILOctober 6, 2015
the worst place ever to work! I was hired under false pretenses... they make you promises and you end up doing everything from serving five to seven course meals (that end up in the garbage for the most part) , to washing bed linens to vacuuming ...housekeeping & and trying to teach! it's a ridiculous place..... they even try to dictate what their employees can eat and drink!!!!
Pros
it's a cute place
Cons
Corporate level is no good...
Great opportunities working with little ones
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 12, 2015
I worked here for about a year while completing my master's degree. The director was very flexible with my schedule and wonderful to work with. I very much appreciated being able to work part time and still attend classes part time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my two year olds and watching them grow! Most co-workers were great to work with, as so with any job, and many have become like family to me.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities, early childhood experience, environment, curriculum
not worth your time
teacher (Former Employee) –  manyMarch 18, 2015
It was a very eye opening experience. I loved working with the kids and getting to know the teachers. The directors and people in the main office are terrible to work for! The directors will lie to your face to make you happy and think you are appreciated as a teacher then turn around and talk behind your back. The locations have cameras that are used to watch your every move! The pay is awful with no benefits. You have vacation days but are not allowed to use them when you want.
okay
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJanuary 18, 2015
A pleasant atmosphere. The school lacks training to new employees an support. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with kids and their parents.
Pros
every day is different.
Cons
poor training and support
It has been a great place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILSeptember 22, 2013
I love working with the children and most of the staff members. The owner has a true love and caring attitude towards the children. It is a very clean school and they usually by new toys for the children every fall. The owners believe the center is a school not just a day care/babysitting center. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the parents are very demanding. we also got a smart board. They also assist us in receiving our 15 hours of training per year by holding in service classes on days we are closed.
Pros
location, cleanliness, caring from owner, teaching philosophy
Cons
poor and expensive benefits
1 Star
Closing Director (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 13, 2013
I learned a lot here, however would never go back. The teachers were great to work with and the children are wonderful! The corporate level and management were people I would not want to work with.