Kensington School Employee Reviews

Poor pay and a negative corporate culture
Spanish & Yoga Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 5, 2017
Considering they charge $1500 or more per kid/per month and pay many employees $10 and hour, I feel the teachers are underappreciated. They do not retain most of their staff and many of us must work other part time jobs to make ends meet.
Great place to learn and grow as an educator.
Director (Current Employee) –  Kensington Schoo of the HighlandsJune 28, 2017
I have been employed by Kensington for the past 6 years, working at two of the area schools. After spending a year teaching preschool I was asked to take a director position at one of the sister schools. Upon completing a year teaching the outstanding curriculum I moved easily into a director position. Some outstanding facts about being a Kensington employee is how much they value teacher education and happiness. Many of the teachers on staff have worked in several of the sister schools as they have increased their education and qualify for other positions. Staff are encouraged to let upper management know if they would like to make a position change within the 9 school system making for happy staff reaching teaching goals.
Pros
Advancement within the company.
Great place to work!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 26, 2017
I have been working for Kensington School for almost two years and I feel incredibly blessed to work for a company that helps you succeed not only at your job but as a person. I received an orientation and proper training to help me understand my job responsibilities. The curriculum is fantastic and supplies are readily available for the teachers. The management team has created a system that allows directors and assistant directors to focus on the daily operations and supporting their teachers which creates a a very positive atmosphere in the school. I not only enjoy my job...I love coming to work every day. So much that I look forward to the opportunity given to move up in the company. Kensington understands the importance of making the families and staff their priority of offering the best quality care for both.
Great Comany to Work For!
School Employee (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 25, 2017
I have worked for Kensington School for over 6 years. I have worked as a teacher and also as a director. All of the staff is great to work with! The curriculum is awesome as well! There are yoga, Spanish, and music teachers that also teach the children. This is something included in the tuition. Also, all of the curriculum is provided to the teachers, which is very helpful as a teacher. Kensington also has fun activities planned for the staff as well. It is a great way to bond with all the wonderful women I work with. If you are looking to move up in your career, this is a great company to work for. There is always growth to move up and I can see my career lasting at Kensington School!
Great Co-workers and Amazing Families
Teacher (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, ILJune 21, 2017
I have worked at Kensington for over 4 years and could not be happier! From the friendly co-workers to the wonderful families, I could not have found a better place to work.
The atmosphere is great. As a teacher, I love the curriculum, resources and assistance that is given. The staff are super friendly and very helpful towards one another. The families are caring, generous and overall very great to work with. The children are eager to learn and love art and playtime.
I would recommend Kensington to anyone that is looking to work in a fun, friendly and inviting school.
Pros
vacation time, paid holidays and room for growth
Great place to experience the finest in Early Childhood Education
School Employee (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 20, 2017
Kensington School offers many wonderful opportunities. As a long time employee, Kensington has become a second home for myself and my family. They offer an amazing curriculum with strong leadership to help and guide you in your classroom. The leadership and curriculum teams are continually looking for ways to enhance the learning, experiences and atmosphere for our young children. There are days built into our school calendar for educator trainings, certifications and professional development. Learning is ongoing at Kensington School, for both educations and young children. Truly a wonderful place to be!
Pros
Great leadership, strong curriculum, professional development opportunities
Wonderful Place to Work!
Director (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 20, 2017
I have been with Kensington School for 5 school years. I have worked as a classroom teacher, as part of the curriculum team and as a director in the schools.Along with different positions I have also had the opportunity to work at several of our locations. Kensington has provided me with the opportunity to further my career and grow as an educator. Overall, they have supported me and helped me to achieve my goals throughout the years and I feel like they care about me not only as an employee but as a member of their family.

The company seeks out employees (teachers, administrators, maintenance staff, cooks, etc.) who are passionate about early childhood education and providing the best place for children to learn and grow. They strive to provide not only exceptional care for children but the very best environment, meals, and education.
Lack of Organization and Very Little Teaching Time
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MultipleMay 17, 2016
If teaching is a main priority and you have ece
credits/credentials/degrees you should probably look for work elsewhere. You will like this environment if you are purely into playing with the children and caregiving. Through experience, I learned that they are most interested in the infant to twos age groups and will often prioritize those teachers over those who work with the older age groups.

They have an amazing curriculum when it is used to its best advantage, but can be overwhelming due to the extensive amount of it. They also have a nice variety of “specials” such as Spanish, music and yoga.

You will be asked to come in on countless Saturdays for special events and normal days off such as Memorial Day will be working educational, in-service days for employees. You will also be given instructions for multiple classroom projects with very little advance notice by Kensington’s Head office.

The turnover rate is high (as with all daycare centers) and there is definitely a staff hierarchy system set by directors to favored employees and staff cliques.
Pros
Nice curriculum (when allowed to teach), Light, bright classrooms, Variety of extra-curricular specials
Cons
High teacher turnover rate, Very little time off, Lack of director/Head office support for employees
Lesson learned
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Kensington is by far the worst place you can work for. Director(s)/ management are awful. They like to degrade people put them in uncomfortable situations,miscontrue,and manipulate to get their way. The director sits back and worries about dieting and what they're having for lunch while other people are working their buts off. The director takes advantage of employees in every way possible just to cover their own tracks. By far the most unorganized establishment. I don't know how the company survives with their unprofessional lack of management. Upper management does not comply with any issues that are brought up to them. They won't return you call if you have issues with your director or with anyone you work with. Very lazy and poorly ran school..it's very unfortunate for anyone to work there. They make it sound peachy keen in the interview. ..trust me not a company you will go far in!!!
Pros
Cons
Director/management is awful
Supportive management and staff / Amazing Technology
Teacher (Current Employee) –  La Grange, ILDecember 1, 2015
Kensington School truly sets apart preschool from childcare. The opportunities for teacher growth within the company are endless, IF you show the passion for Early Childhood and work ethic. The academics offered here are outstanding! The new technology available for teachers to use with students are endless and exciting to use. I absolutely love using the Tadpoles App to keep in contact with my student's families.

The classrooms are the nicest classrooms I've ever worked in. When something is needed, the administrative office is very supportive to our needs.

Our school recently received NAEYC accreditation and we couldn't be prouder!
Pros
new technology, beautiful classroom, great families, good location
Not a very comfortable work enviornment
Pre-school Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 12, 2015
Run very poorly. The director is more worried about her own needs and sugar coating everything so she can make more money instead of making sure that all employees are happy at the job.
Pros
Nice families
Cons
Director, and Higher managment
Early Childhood Education at it's BEST!
2s Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILNovember 11, 2015
After graduating with my BA in ECE, I looked at multiple schools for employment. Kensington stands out from other preschools when it comes to having a passion for Early Childhood, curriculum and environment.

The curriculum is a perfect mix of traditional learning with modern trends. The classrooms are clean and beautiful. Of course, as with any job, there are challenges and rigorous days - whoever said Teaching was easy!? Directors do all they can for supporting us and at the end of the day, you love your students and job.
Pros
environrment, location, leadership, flexibility
Strong curriculum, great resources
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILOctober 27, 2015
This is the third child care center I have worked with in the last 12 years. I have stayed with Kensington for 6 years (been at two of their schools) because of the setting, resources, awesome coworkers and great families. The schools and classrooms are beautiful- bright, classrooms with tons of windows, cute furniture etc.
Nearly all the curriculum is provided, as well as classroom needs- you don't have to buy anything yourself, unless you want to add icing to the cake!
I like the swing towards Project Based Learning recently- even though it requires more "work" on my end- the kids LOVE it! I love preschoolers- watching them explore and discover new things!
I am reviewing Kensington because a friend mentioned the negative reviews on here- I was actually pretty surprised to read how snarky people can be- and I felt like I had to post something.
Is Kensington perfect? No. Are they trying? Absolutely.
I've experienced enough child care centers to know that this is among the best. I even did two community service projects last year with other teachers and people from the main office. No other place I worked offered stuff like that. I feel like they are trying to help us build community within our schools and with each other. I can actually call my coworkers my friends and mean it.
I haven't had issues with the "office" at all- I had curriculum questions and they were answered immediately and everyone I've come in contact with at the meetings has been nothing but nice. Unfortunately I think a lot of new teachers come in with expectations that are unrealistic.
  more... You are a TEACHER, but in all fairness, it is a child care center- you will serve food, you will clean a little. You may have to be flexible and gasp- take work home on occasion, but that's all part of the job and what will be best for your students.
Attitude is everything. Keep it positive and you'll have a positive experience. It all comes down to the children.
I plan to stay here for as long as they'll have me!
Pros
Lots of curriculum provided, morale boosters (service projects, "Night Out"), great familes and awesome kids!
Cons
Schedule can shift sometimes to cover needs
preschool teacher
teacher (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, ILOctober 6, 2015
the worst place ever to work! I was hired under false pretenses... they make you promises and you end up doing everything from serving five to seven course meals (that end up in the garbage for the most part) , to washing bed linens to vacuuming ...housekeeping & and trying to teach! it's a ridiculous place..... they even try to dictate what their employees can eat and drink!!!!
Pros
it's a cute place
Cons
Corporate level is no good...
Great opportunities working with little ones
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 12, 2015
I worked here for about a year while completing my master's degree. The director was very flexible with my schedule and wonderful to work with. I very much appreciated being able to work part time and still attend classes part time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my two year olds and watching them grow! Most co-workers were great to work with, as so with any job, and many have become like family to me.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities, early childhood experience, environment, curriculum
not worth your time
teacher (Former Employee) –  manyMarch 18, 2015
It was a very eye opening experience. I loved working with the kids and getting to know the teachers. The directors and people in the main office are terrible to work for! The directors will lie to your face to make you happy and think you are appreciated as a teacher then turn around and talk behind your back. The locations have cameras that are used to watch your every move! The pay is awful with no benefits. You have vacation days but are not allowed to use them when you want.
okay
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJanuary 18, 2015
A pleasant atmosphere. The school lacks training to new employees an support. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with kids and their parents.
Pros
Every day is different.
Cons
Poor training and support
It has been a great place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILSeptember 22, 2013
I love working with the children and most of the staff members. The owner has a true love and caring attitude towards the children. It is a very clean school and they usually by new toys for the children every fall. The owners believe the center is a school not just a day care/babysitting center. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the parents are very demanding. we also got a smart board. They also assist us in receiving our 15 hours of training per year by holding in service classes on days we are closed.
Pros
location, cleanliness, caring from owner, teaching philosophy
Cons
poor and expensive benefits
1 Star
Closing Director (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 13, 2013
I learned a lot here, however would never go back. The teachers were great to work with and the children are wonderful! The corporate level and management were people I would not want to work with.