KENT COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Great worklife balance
Network Improvement Project Manager (Current Employee) –  MaidstoneFebruary 4, 2016
Great worklife balance on a daily basis and full of great people. A little bit of 'dead mans shoes' going on though.

A typical day would start at 8.40 and finish at 4.40. It may involve meetings about projects and dealing with many customer enquiries.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
sometimes limited career progression without moving jobs
Fun workplace Training is provided. Job saisfaction
Finance Assistant-accounts payables (Former Employee) –  West MallingMay 18, 2016
As Finance Assistant-accounts payables learn the accounting systems in accounts payables-CODA and Oracle. Input invoices to process payments onto the system. Enquiries on invoices, I liaise with the supplier and internal staff members on invoices details.
Pros
Pensions, holiday pay, equal opportunity employer
Cons
limited job advancement
Exactly as any Local Government employer should be
Systems Analyst from Trainee Programmer (Former Employee) –  MaidstoneApril 25, 2016
Excellent first job, stayed 6 years and learnt loads of new skills and technology. Very sad to leave but needed to build a career with a more commercial outlook.
Productive workplace
Administartor (Current Employee) –  East Malling, KentJanuary 29, 2016
A typical day at work is quite pressurised.
I learned computer skills,
Not all managers are the same.
My co-workers are a friendly bunch
The hardest part of the job is keeping everything up to date.
Which is also the most enjoyable part of the job!
Pros
Near home
An okay place to work
Social Work Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kings HillMay 24, 2016
work is varied but i am getting bored of just sitting in a room doing contacts with families that won't help themselves.

Its an okay place t work , but very much like a call centre
Supportive workplace with employment benefits
Skills for Life Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Sittingbourne, ENGJuly 9, 2014
I have enjoyed working within KCC for over 12 years within two main areas, both within an educational background. I have managed to work towards management level, although due to some changes within departments I am now working as a lecturer. I have had the opportunity to recieve various forms of CPD, all very productive and useful to the positions I have held within KCC.

I have enjoyed the benefits of support and line management that is generally fair, dependant on the individual line manager of the time. There are avenues to go down should you have a complint and the Blue Book that is very useful should you have any queries.
Pros
supportive of staff and various benefits are available.
Cons
zer hour contracts - my currnet one - does leave you feeling out on a limb and quite vulnerable.
Senior Technical Architect
Senior Technical Architect (Current Employee) –  MaidstoneMarch 18, 2016
Working with internal and external customers to deliver ICT projects that meet their requirements in a timely and cost efficient manner.
Do not work here
Disclosure would identify the employee (Current Employee) –  KentAugust 8, 2015
Local government - so every opportunity taken to screw the employees. 1% pay rises for the last 3 years (this year's swallowed up by the increase in pension contributions), nothing for a couple year efore that. No job security. Little advancement. Just sell-offs and redundancies - I keep hoping that;s it's my turn next!
Pros
Yes, the pension is good
Cons
A political organisation
Work place experience
Purchasing Officer (Current Employee) –  Maidstone and West MallingNovember 3, 2015
Open plan office, Can get quite loud depending on how many people are in the office. Red tape and politics due to nature of company and service being provided. Best part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
Good Pension
Best part of the job
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, ENGNovember 1, 2015
Varied work, interesting content, daily contact with an extensive range of staff, required to work on own initiative and trusted to get on with the job - never boring as too busy!
Pros
Feeling that it made a difference in Social Services context
Cons
Pressure of work at times was high
Hardworking and meeting deadlines
Training & Development Support Officer (Current Employee) –  MaidstoneOctober 21, 2015
Active, getting results and satisfying customers.
To be patient, clarify information and organise duties..
Target setting
Strong team spirit very supportive
Dealing with queries.
Helping customers and resolving problems.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
no pay for overtime.
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  KentOctober 22, 2015
Fun place of work enjoyed meeting the guests enjoyed working along side my colleagues with excellent team spirit. `taking social Services out of hours calls and 24/7 calls, also renewing library books.
Pros
Great speaking with various people and was satisfying to be of assistant
Cons
no cons
fun workplace
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shorne, ENGOctober 2, 2015
i enjoy it a lot working as a team, so much so that ive taken on a casual job whilst studying, its a great working environment with an oportunity to make friends along the way
a good place to work
the Youth Offending Team (Current Employee) –  KentJuly 31, 2015
Working in the KCC does have many advantages. The culture, work, people has many positives. I enjoy helping people so my work in the KCC fullfills that need.
Interesting challenge
Construction Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Sessions House MaidstoneSeptember 1, 2014
Contrary to public view point, working in KCC was everyday a new challenge in terms of what is expected and travelling to and from various major sites.
How to deal with complicated planning approvals, and to address public concerns in setting up new projects.
Identifying strengths and weaknesses in Project Team and using best to suit Project overall, including monitoring delays and minimising as much as practicably possible.
Politics was the hardest part of working in KCC, but you learn how to meet the challenge and to deal with all varied issues that arise.
Creating new Education environments for future use, and improving working conditions for all colleagues.
Pros
some advantages in local purchases through staff club
Cons
long hours especially to meet project expectations or planning consultations
KCC is in contraction. Future is very uncertain
Information Systems Officer (Current Employee) –  Ashford/March 10, 2015
KCC was a great place to work but due to budget constraints imposed by Central Government KCC is currently in contraction. The ICT department may or may not be outsourced or floated off as a Local Authority Traded Company (LATCO) and there may be further redundancies, not necessarily voluntary, and or pay reductions.
Pros
flexi time giving good work/life balance
Cons
future is very uncertain.
2 year training placement
Young Training Worker (Former Employee) –  ENGAugust 3, 2013
6 monthly training program to build, train and encourage life development to ensure a full time work placement.
Pros
training
Cons
salary and lack of feeling like you belong due to the short term of placements
Productive and team work
Course provider (Current Employee) –  KentJuly 25, 2015
Excellent safe environment. Friendly atmosphere, and reliable work team. the most enjoyable part of my job is providing language courses for adult who have a passion for learning italian
Pros
Free lance
Cons
some inevitable pressure
fun place to work
Care Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashford, ENGMay 30, 2015
very full days, the clients were sometimes demanding as is their nature, but a very rewarding job, best I have ever had.
co- workers were very professional and supportive as were the management, you need this in social work
Fun and productive place to work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  MaidstoneMay 19, 2015
A typical day at work is never the same. I have learned a lot during my time at KCC as I have worked for various legal departments and fee earners. I have always got on well with my co-workers and have made some good friends. The hardest part of the job at the moment is staying motivated, due to lots of changes and uncertainty. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the flexi time.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Outdated equipment