KENT COUNTY COUNCIL

KENT COUNTY COUNCIL Employer Reviews

Tired of hoodies? Do something about it!
Ancillary Youth Worker/Bursar/Admin Support (Current Employee), KentSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: young adults
Cons: young adults
I saw this as a chance to bring some decency to the young people in our world today. It is quick to label young people as anti-social trouble makers but deep down do we really think that someone can be born evil? So if they aren't ejected from the womb with a mind to destroy bus stops and intimidate Joe Bloggs then by elimination it must be environmental – more... that turns a lot of these minors into the troublesome acne army they have become. On acknowledgement of this revelation there is a clear chance of redemption.
Gaining a mutual respect is the biggest hurdle but once you have that there are endless possibilities to help these young people. Nurture their undernourished and undiscovered talents.
Find a way to turn these young adults away from the vicious circle that is their heritage and their legacy.
Be the support and guidance that they need but will never ask for (A strength in itself compared to the well educated middle class who will brag about their successes from the top of a mountain but behind them you can see the trail of privilege, family money and contacts that helped significantly to carry them there. – less
Prouctive and fun workers.
Finance Assistant- Accounts payables (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGSeptember 3, 2014
Input invoices details on the accounts payables system to process payments to suppliers.Learned oracle program to use at work.
Management and co workers are fun workers and work as a team.
The hardest part of the job during end period to meet the deadline.The most enjoyable part of the job when work organised and time management allocated to meet the – more... deadline on time. – less
Interesting challenge
Construction Contracts Manager (Current Employee), Sessions House MaidstoneSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: some advantages in local purchases through staff club
Cons: long hours especially to meet project expectations or planning consultations
Contrary to public view point, working in KCC was everyday a new challenge in terms of what is expected and travelling to and from various major sites.
How to deal with complicated planning approvals, and to address public concerns in setting up new projects.
Identifying strengths and weaknesses in Project Team and using best to suit Project overall, – more... including monitoring delays and minimising as much as practicably possible.
Politics was the hardest part of working in KCC, but you learn how to meet the challenge and to deal with all varied issues that arise.
Creating new Education environments for future use, and improving working conditions for all colleagues. – less
Challenging yet enjoyable
Mobile Communications Analyst (Current Employee), MaidstoneAugust 24, 2014
Worked as part of the Mobile Communication team in ICT's Service Desk department providing support and training to BlackBerry/Smartphone users across KCC directorates.

• Configure Blackberry/Smartphone devices to ICT service level targets.
• Respond to BlackBerry/Smartphone fault calls logged with the ICT Service Desk. Aim to resolve faults in line – more... with ICT service level targets.
• Provide 1-1 training sessions to Blackberry/Smartphone users to defined procedures.
• Provide mass training sessions of up to 15 customers.
• Log, update and resolve calls using ICT’s call management system.
• Maintain up to date and accurate information in the BlackBerry/Smartphone asset management database in line with defined procedures.
• Assist with maintaining the BlackBerry/Smartphone knowledgebase of known fixes, errors and workarounds.
• Process emails to the Mobile Communication team mailbox relevant to the role and provide support to other team members when required.
• Setup SSL (Secure Socket Layer) tokens and provide training to new users of the service.
• Assist with processing orders for BlackBerry/smartphone devices using ICT systems and Oracle iProc.
• Monitor deliveries of devices against outstanding orders.
• Resolve BlackBerry, 3G dongle, mobile phone, RDA, Kent Text fault calls logged with the ICT Service Desk.
• Monitor and answer queries sent to the BlackBerry Support, Mobile Support, RDA Support mailboxes.
• Train any new Mobile Communications Engineers and ensure work meets existing standards, updating procedures as necessary to maintain and improve the service. – less
Friendly atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), ElthamAugust 22, 2014
Excellent management, all team members are motivated. Very good experience.
Enjoyable
Kent Success Apprentice (Former Employee), ENGJuly 14, 2014
Had a good work experience at KCC.
The management were always happy to help
Supportive workplace with employment benefits
Skills for Life Lecturer (Current Employee), Sittingbourne, ENGJuly 9, 2014
Pros: supportive of staff and various benefits are available.
Cons: zer hour contracts - my currnet one - does leave you feeling out on a limb and quite vulnerable.
I have enjoyed working within KCC for over 12 years within two main areas, both within an educational background. I have managed to work towards management level, although due to some changes within departments I am now working as a lecturer. I have had the opportunity to recieve various forms of CPD, all very productive and useful to the positions – more... I have held within KCC.

I have enjoyed the benefits of support and line management that is generally fair, dependant on the individual line manager of the time. There are avenues to go down should you have a complint and the Blue Book that is very useful should you have any queries. – less
A good place to work
Office Manager / Clerk to Governing Body (Former Employee), Senacre Wood Primary SchoolMarch 26, 2014
Great colleagues - everyone worked as a team.
No day was the same - busy all day.
Good support from the senior management team.
Able to attend courses and improve your skills.
I enjoyed being of help to the parents and supporting them.
It was a difficult decision to leave.
Kent County Council
Accountancy assistant (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGDecember 6, 2013
Good first job, but very boring and no chance of advancement.
Frustrated
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Broadstairs, Kent, ENGDecember 4, 2013
Essentiually I was BOTH Data Clerk to the divisional systems analyst AND P.A. to the Manager.
This was not an ideal situation, or role to be in.
Productive and interesting
Clerical and Service Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Kings Hill West Malling KentNovember 18, 2013
Pros: pleasant team, lovely atmosphere with friendly staff
Cons: a little repeatative
Part Time employment - making appointments for engineers to attend schools and public buildings to check electrical equipment.
CHALLENGING
midday meals supervisor (Former Employee), Margate, ENGOctober 23, 2013
I enjoy working with the children and find this job very rewarding. It sometimes can be challenging but as my bond with the children grows i earn respect from them. I have seen a good number of children grow through the years at the primary school
KCC was an excellent employer. Although the salary was not large, it was adequate and much better than in the private sector.
KCC Active care (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGOctober 20, 2013
Pros: petrol was paid--excellent additional training
I enjoyed my years working with KCC. Their emphasis was on the client but also was very much focused on the work/life balance of the employee. I felt valued in the job and was always given the time to feel that I could give to the client what they needed. The most difficult part of the job was the area covered. The work involved much driving in all – more... weathers. Although we were working in the community and were lone workers much of the time, supervision gave us the opportunity to share with our colleagues our concerns and difficulties. I learned that listening to the client was just a valuable as washing and dressing them...that the loneliness of my clients could be decreased by interaction. – less
Fantastic area and people to work with. Staffs are very protected and well-supported
Care Manager (Former Employee), Dartford areaOctober 1, 2013
Busy, but fun and always interesting
Your job is easier when the administrative support is good and adequate.
Regular and appropriate communication between staff and the management.
Great co-workers, very supportive and no unhealthy rivalry.
There are few local resources.
To be sure that your employers value you and your contributions; while you are – more... supported whenever required. – less
Project Manager
Project Manager (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGSeptember 5, 2013
Selected for the Kent Graduate Programme to work on a number of 6 month placements before finding a permanent job as Assistant Business Manager for the Human Resources Department.
As a supply teacher you can see how other schools work. As a p/t teacher you have involvement in your school.
Rtr teacher and catering experience (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGAugust 21, 2013
Pros: to be part of a team and producing good food
Cons: long hours in a hot kitchen.
Accepting that everyone is different and adapting the way you ask children/students to do something. Managing positives as well as negatives and still expecting satisfactory outcomes.

The hardest part of teaching is the encouragement of dis-heartened children/students with low esteem making them feel worth while and not being put off by others around – more... them who more quickly grasp what is happening.

In catering the long hours and working with chefs who become very hot and bothered. Just being able to get on with the work but also when the time demands standing up for yourself. – less
2 year training placement
Young Training Worker (Former Employee), ENGAugust 3, 2013
Pros: training
Cons: salary and lack of feeling like you belong due to the short term of placements
6 monthly training program to build, train and encourage life development to ensure a full time work placement.
nice people
Senior Planning Officer (Former Employee), maidstoneJune 18, 2013
Good place to work but that was some time ago now! There was a mix of dynamic people and those who stuck to routines.
poor workplace
Grounds Worker (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGJune 14, 2013
Cons: unsociable hours no transport
i was a groundsman at kcc i was treated poorly i could not continue to work for them
Great opportunity to start off in a work environment
Receptionist (Current Employee), Greenhithe, KentMay 15, 2013
I have worked within Kent County Council for nearly two years now and I have gained soo much relevant experience for someone who wants to work in an office environment. I work within a local Children's Centre and enjoy having the opportunity to meet and greet various visitors and client's for all different reasons and being able to answer any queries – more... that they may have, for example; asking what certain groups maybe about etc.

The challenging part of this job is being the first point of contact for those visitor's who maybe be a little distressted and a bit upset however, with a couple past experience's such as; dealing with a family that were linked with social services and were upset and a little angry, I have learnt to talk to them in a calm and professional manner to defuse the situation. I am always polite, friendly and professional to all the clients and visitor's to the Children's Centre.

I work with an excellent, friendly and professional team that include co-workers with various professional backgrounds including; midwives, health visitors and family support workers.

In summary, since working for Kent County Council, I have become confident in dealing with clients and visitors on a day to day basis. It has given me the great opportunity to start a career within an Administrative/Receptionist role. – less