Kent School District Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 27, 2017
Good place to work. Nice school district. Principals make all the difference at individuals school. Great job for raising kids. Education never pays enough, but is very rewarding in other ways.
great opportunity to help kids
Administration/Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 28, 2017
The reward of helping kids makes each day valuable. Everyone on the staff works hard to reach the same goal of providing a safe learning environment for all kids.
Pros
same holidays as your own kids when they are in school
Cons
limited hours for income
Substitute Teacher review
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 20, 2017
I was a substitute teacher for many years. I worked in many districts at all grade levels. I worked through AESOP and there were always job opportunities.
Pros
Worked every day
Cons
Doesn't pay well
Decent hours
Admin 1 (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 9, 2017
Work here if you like kids. You work outside a lot. If you don't like the elements of cold, wind, or rain. You work in the lunchroom cleaning up and service the kids.
Very productive
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 30, 2017
A typical day at work is good, meeting new people, getting to talk to new people. I learned that it's not easy and it takes time to get the hang of working.
Pros
A hour in a half lunch period
Cons
Dress codes
productive
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 30, 2017
nice working place Good working environment Easy work This is on call job . If I don't feel like going I can cancel that job day and can take the day off
Kids are great to work with
Administrative Assistant I/II & Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 27, 2017
Typical day at work for an Admin - flexible, not stressful
I learned that not every school is going to meet your expectations and will have some issues
Management is good, but could be better
Workplace culture is very diverse and lively
Hardest part of the job is dealing with kids for a long period of time
Most enjoyable part of the job is having the extended breaks during the school year
Pros
super flexible
Cons
some schools need better management
Can be rewarding but it comes with challenges
Transportation Services Director (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 11, 2017
Very large and complex organization, with some incredibly dedicated employees who make a difference in student lives. Lots of turnover in management and senior leadership, which impacts both short and long range planning. Finite resources where doing more with less is absolutely necessary. I found my position to be challenging but rewarding in many ways.
Pros
You can make a difference if given the opportunity
Cons
Employee turnover is very high
As a sub clerical
Substitute Clerical (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 25, 2017
Do not be confused, you do not do any clerical. You are a recess and lunch assistant. Occasionally you may do some sorting for the office but not much.
Kent is a good school district to work for. Just be careful on the area you choose.
It was an enjoyable and rewarding place to work.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 2, 2017
I taught groups of struggling children. They were located throughout the school and the Instructional Assistants had minimal time to get from class to class and prepare their various lessons for the different groups.

The teachers and other Instructional Assistants were awesome and I enjoyed everyone I met.

I learned that teachers and office staff work very, very hard. They are all caring and even buy supplies for their students with their own money.
Pros
I enjoyed the people I worked with. I also enjoyed helping the students.
Cons
As an Instructional Assistants you could only make a top pay of $18/hour, even if you worked there a long time and if you received excellent reviews.
Nice people, great place to work.
Intervention Team Assistant / RBT (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 1, 2017
I have expanded my skills working with the district, in the field of behavior. The people I have worked with have a great attitude and we all have the same goals of what is in the best interest of the children we are trying to serve.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Education does not pay much
The Human Resource Office
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 21, 2017
The human resource office is well managed, and great staff. Each school is different, and I've had the experience to work in great schools with good teachers. Students have been well behaved, but oftentimes with young students, classroom management skills is a must.
Kent School District
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Covington, WADecember 18, 2016
Worked in a fast paced office answering phones, marking attendance, managing concerns of parents, staff, and students, working on state guidelines for attendance. The most important thing I learned was to prioritize while working at this job. There were times when you had 10 different things coming at me and I had to pick which ones took priority. The hardest part of this job was working with some language barriers of some of the parents. I really enjoyed the students and interacting with them on a daily basis. I had some amazing co workers who knew that it took a village to run a school office.
Substitute teacher K-12
Substitute Teacher K-12 all grades/subjects (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 31, 2016
The teachers and staff work very hard; they care about the students and they are committed to preparing them for a successful future. The teachers are friendly and supportive to the staff and to each other.
Great Workplace
Server Administrator - Intern (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 1, 2016
Kent School District is a great place for me to start my experience. I get to work with physical server as well as virtual server. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful.
A Great Place to Work for!
Administrative Assistant-Health Tech (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 12, 2016
The Kent School District is one of the most diverse Districts in Washington State. With more than 200 languages spoken, there is always something new to learn and so much to give.

I have learned to know and understand and support our families. I work for the largest elementary school in the District, Neely-O'Brien Elementary.
We serve a large multicultural population with many socioeconomic challenges and I am passionate about helping our students and families.

With 650 students from 1st through 6th grade, everyday brings something new, it could be challenging or rewarding but at the end of the day, being able to support the students that are facing social and emotional challenges, engaging families and serving the Fantastic Team of Teachers and Specialists we have has been the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, growth opportunities
good place to be if you like children
Substitute Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 25, 2016
This was only a temp job and filled in for recess and cross walk guard but had a blast with the kids and the school district was a very good place work for even if it was part time.
Para Professional
PARA PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 19, 2015
The position of a Para Professional cannot be done with out the support of the entire team. We had awesome teachers and a very supportive Administration. Due to all of the specialist regarding any of the students. The support was phenomenal. In all the years working for the Kent School District between 2001 and 2014, I always felt supported from staff and co workers.
Large school district with many moving parts
Special Education Teacher & Leader (Current Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 10, 2015
The KSD, while large, offers a wide variety of opportunity for students and professionals.

As a special education teacher, I have learned to balance teaching, planning, and management of classroom staff.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
benefits & compensation
Fiscal Services is a terrible department to work in.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent Schoosl District OfficeAugust 27, 2015
The Fiscal Services department operates with no documented processes. Everything is done by tribal knowledge and ad hoc decision making.
This approach would not survive in a for profit business, and should be unacceptable in a school district.
Pros
Good pay for boring work.
Cons
Poorly managed and negative work environment.