Kent School District

Kent School District United States Employee Reviews

Fun but a challenge
Volunteer Boys Basketball Coach, Softball Umpire (Current Employee), Kent, WASeptember 16, 2014
Not the best working environment but I like working with the kids
Rewarding job teaching children new skills everyday.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Covington ElementaryAugust 27, 2014
Pros: summer off and time for my family
Cons: not enough pay for the job requirements
Everyday I work with students who are one the autism spectrum and struggle daily with learning even the basic concepts. I have learned over the years that no two children are alike and what works with one person may not work with another. I have learned how to identify basic learning strategies so that students are able to become successful such as planning enriched curriculum towards their IEP goals. My co-workers and I support the general education teacher to meet the students goals. The hardest part of my job is not teaching or taking on a leadership role. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I made a difference in children's lives by helping them become successful achieving their goals.
I love working for this district
IP Paraeducator (Current Employee), Kent, WAMay 18, 2014
Pros: management, staff, diverse environment, supportive
I have been a Paraeducator since November 2013 in the KSD, and I love it. My past two principals have been supportive and very caring. My hours at my former position dropped from 7 to 3, but the Principal was nice enough to give me a good recommendation at another school with a full-time position, and I was offered two positions, and took one of them as an IP Paraeducator. I currently have my BS Degree in Elementary Education, but not my certficiation which is why I am a Para and not a full-time certified teacher. However, I did inform my principal of my goal to complete my Masters and dual cert, and she is completely supportive ! I work in a Title 1 school, and I love the school I work at. We are the number one most diverse school in the KSD, and it is a great experience to come to work and be involved with students of different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. I worked at a nanny agency nannying for rich families in the Seattle area, and I didn't enjoy it. I felt they had an entitled attitude, and at this school the students are there to work hard, and it makes it a pleasure to come to work everyday. I will continue to work in the KSD, and inform others how great it is, and how good they treat their employees.

Only negative is the pay. Yes, hourly rate is good, but they spread it out through the year so you get paid summers, and the monthly take home pay is near poverty level. But that is why getting a second job on the side would be necessary. But honestly, I would rather enjoy my job then get paid a lot of money to do something I hated. So overall, I think it is a trade off. And the full-time benefits are good: Dental and Vision are free (I just got $500 pair of glasses for $45!) and medical is pretty decent too.
Good company to work for, Supervisors are very ptient and understanding. Open door policy.
Assistant Custodian (Former Employee), Kent, WAApril 10, 2014
Good company to work for. Good equipment and the district is a top notch district. I was pleased with the management team especially with my operations manager who had and open door policy.
Enjoyed working with students with special needs, but wanted to change my focus of study.
Para-Educator (Current Employee), Kent, WAAugust 16, 2013
Have been working without a contract for two years which makes Para-educator positions unstable. My co-workers are dedicated, hardworking, and wonderful individuals and I will miss them.
Worked with students
Instructor of inter (Former Employee), Kent, WAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: seasonal employment
Cons: working with students
Contract Pre-Seasonal school year employment. Excellent job working with students and parents. Rewarding to see students excel and achieve the academic goals
terrible place to work management is lazy and ignorant
Janitor (Former Employee), kentridge high schoolJuly 1, 2013
Working at the kent school district is a maze of politics and stupidy
Building my experience in Education, grades K-12!
Substitute Para Educator (Former Employee), Kent, WAJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: my students!
Cons: lack of health insurance, inconsistent hours
I enjoyed my work as a Substitute Para Educator because it opened my interest in Higher Education. I liked going to different schools in the district everyday and engaging in the field of Education with professional and certified teachers. This experience gave me an overall picture of Education and I found that I truly enjoyed my time with high school students and seniors seeking to further their academic goals. As a Para Educator, I was allowed to manage small classrooms and teach. The hardest part of my job was traveling somewhere different everyday as I did enjoy building rapport with the students that I encountered. The most enjoyable part was the experience I gained with the students I encountered.
Productive and fun place. It felt like an extended family.
Administrative Assistant - Staff Development (Former Employee), Kent, WAMay 1, 2012
Pros: wonderful coworkers, fantastic facility, place to get lunch.
I loved working at the Kent School District. I would go back in a heartbeat.
worked washing school busses for a high school job
senior bus washer (Former Employee), Kent, WAJanuary 30, 2012
Pros: only two hours each day
Cons: worked outside in the weather
I worked at the district's bus barn washing school busses after they were finished for the day. worked there after school, and the bus barn was right next to my high school.