Kent School District Employee Reviews

A Great Place to Work for!
Administrative Assistant-Health Tech (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 12, 2016
The Kent School District is one of the most diverse Districts in Washington State. With more than 200 languages spoken, there is always something new to learn and so much to give.

I have learned to know and understand and support our families. I work for the largest elementary school in the District, Neely-O'Brien Elementary.
We serve a large multicultural population with many socioeconomic challenges and I am passionate about helping our students and families.

With 650 students from 1st through 6th grade, everyday brings something new, it could be challenging or rewarding but at the end of the day, being able to support the students that are facing social and emotional challenges, engaging families and serving the Fantastic Team of Teachers and Specialists we have has been the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, growth opportunities
Large school district with many moving parts
Special Education Teacher & Leader (Current Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 10, 2015
The KSD, while large, offers a wide variety of opportunity for students and professionals.

As a special education teacher, I have learned to balance teaching, planning, and management of classroom staff.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
benefits & compensation
Great Workplace
Server Administrator - Intern (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 1, 2016
Kent School District is a great place for me to start my experience. I get to work with physical server as well as virtual server. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful.
Great place for a college student
Head Track Official (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 14, 2015
Good atmosphere, your paid on a stipend. No benefits, just work and go home. Job lets you interact with various types of people. Great job for a people person
Pros
easy, fast
Cons
no benefits
good place to be if you like children
Substitute Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 25, 2016
This was only a temp job and filled in for recess and cross walk guard but had a blast with the kids and the school district was a very good place work for even if it was part time.
I love working for this district
IP Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 18, 2014
I have been a Paraeducator since November 2013 in the KSD, and I love it. My past two principals have been supportive and very caring. My hours at my former position dropped from 7 to 3, but the Principal was nice enough to give me a good recommendation at another school with a full-time position, and I was offered two positions, and took one of them as an IP Paraeducator. I currently have my BS Degree in Elementary Education, but not my certficiation which is why I am a Para and not a full-time certified teacher. However, I did inform my principal of my goal to complete my Masters and dual cert, and she is completely supportive ! I work in a Title 1 school, and I love the school I work at. We are the number one most diverse school in the KSD, and it is a great experience to come to work and be involved with students of different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. I worked at a nanny agency nannying for rich families in the Seattle area, and I didn't enjoy it. I felt they had an entitled attitude, and at this school the students are there to work hard, and it makes it a pleasure to come to work everyday. I will continue to work in the KSD, and inform others how great it is, and how good they treat their employees.

Only negative is the pay. Yes, hourly rate is good, but they spread it out through the year so you get paid summers, and the monthly take home pay is near poverty level. But that is why getting a second job on the side would be necessary. But honestly, I would rather enjoy my job then get paid a lot of money to do something I hated. So overall, I think it is
  more... a trade off. And the full-time benefits are good: Dental and Vision are free (I just got $500 pair of glasses for $45!) and medical is pretty decent too.  less
Pros
management, staff, diverse environment, supportive
Para Professional
PARA PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 19, 2015
The position of a Para Professional cannot be done with out the support of the entire team. We had awesome teachers and a very supportive Administration. Due to all of the specialist regarding any of the students. The support was phenomenal. In all the years working for the Kent School District between 2001 and 2014, I always felt supported from staff and co workers.
Great experience working there
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 29, 2015
I had different job assignments through the years I worked in the KSD.
I would go to work and usually have time to discuss with the teacher the day’s work plan. I also didn't mind staying longer at work,if needed,when the students left in the afternoon.
I would follow the directions given to me, verbally or written down, and work with the student/students assigned to me by the teacher.
I used my knowledge and personal skills to help teachers and students the same.
I enriched my knowledge with numerous hours of staff development, gaining a stipend as a reword twice.
I enjoyed meeting new colleagues at instructional classes and exchange opinions on the work. I also enjoyed the rapport with teachers and coworkers, trying to get the best from everybody.
The hardest part of the job was not being successful in my work with a student, while the best part was seeing the progress and writing my students’ reports.
Pros
good health plans, sick leave, summer vacation
Cons
Fiscal Services is a terrible department to work in.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent Schoosl District OfficeAugust 27, 2015
The Fiscal Services department operates with no documented processes. Everything is done by tribal knowledge and ad hoc decision making.
This approach would not survive in a for profit business, and should be unacceptable in a school district.
Pros
Good pay for boring work.
Cons
Poorly managed and negative work environment.
Rewarding job teaching children new skills everyday.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Covington ElementaryAugust 27, 2014
Everyday I work with students who are one the autism spectrum and struggle daily with learning even the basic concepts. I have learned over the years that no two children are alike and what works with one person may not work with another. I have learned how to identify basic learning strategies so that students are able to become successful such as planning enriched curriculum towards their IEP goals. My co-workers and I support the general education teacher to meet the students goals. The hardest part of my job is not teaching or taking on a leadership role. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I made a difference in children's lives by helping them become successful achieving their goals.
Pros
summer off and time for my family
Cons
not enough pay for the job requirements
Building my experience in Education, grades K-12!
Substitute Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 10, 2013
I enjoyed my work as a Substitute Para Educator because it opened my interest in Higher Education. I liked going to different schools in the district everyday and engaging in the field of Education with professional and certified teachers. This experience gave me an overall picture of Education and I found that I truly enjoyed my time with high school students and seniors seeking to further their academic goals. As a Para Educator, I was allowed to manage small classrooms and teach. The hardest part of my job was traveling somewhere different everyday as I did enjoy building rapport with the students that I encountered. The most enjoyable part was the experience I gained with the students I encountered.
Pros
my students!
Cons
lack of health insurance, inconsistent hours
A good place to begin a teaching career
Technology Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Northwood Middle SchoolJune 26, 2015
The school district is large but each school is a unique community. As a young teacher I had the opportunity to grow professionally and improve my teaching strategies.
Pros
Great working calander
Cons
Cuts in teaching positions
Good company to work for, Supervisors are very ptient and understanding. Open door policy.
Assistant Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 10, 2014
Good company to work for. Good equipment and the district is a top notch district. I was pleased with the management team especially with my operations manager who had and open door policy.
Awesome
Creative Media Technology Director (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 8, 2015
Fun times and lots of videos. Training Videos, Administrator Messages, Cultural Videos, Student Videos for Contests, and much much more.
Great Place
Creative Media Technology Director (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 15, 2015
Filming, editing, revising. A day in the life!

Producing, streaming, helping!

There is always new videos and graphic design work.

The employees are nice.
Enjoyed working with students with special needs, but wanted to change my focus of study.
Para-Educator (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 16, 2013
Have been working without a contract for two years which makes Para-educator positions unstable. My co-workers are dedicated, hardworking, and wonderful individuals and I will miss them.
worked washing school busses for a high school job
senior bus washer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 30, 2012
I worked at the district's bus barn washing school busses after they were finished for the day. worked there after school, and the bus barn was right next to my high school.
Pros
only two hours each day
Cons
worked outside in the weather
terrible place to work management is lazy and ignorant
Janitor (Former Employee) –  kentridge high schoolJuly 1, 2013
Working at the kent school district is a maze of politics and stupidy
Productive and fun place. It felt like an extended family.
Administrative Assistant - Staff Development (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 1, 2012
I loved working at the Kent School District. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
wonderful coworkers, fantastic facility, place to get lunch.
Worked with students
Instructor of inter (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 12, 2013
Contract Pre-Seasonal school year employment. Excellent job working with students and parents. Rewarding to see students excel and achieve the academic goals
Pros
Seasonal employment
Cons
Working with students

4.2