Kent State University Employee Reviews

Treated fairly and a meal voucher daily.
Cook 1 (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHApril 14, 2017
Check with the executive chef to see if the menues for the week are correct. Begin collecting all items needed for that day's menu, as well as pulling frozen items to be used later in the week, then defrosting them in the walk-in cooler. Begin scaling the items to order, then putting them together for service. I have learned my techniques from the chef, such as removing the deckle from the brisket and why it is necessary to do that. My general manager is the best I've ever had the pleasure of working for. Our kitchen is very diverse and we all get along very well. The toughest part of my job is when I batch cook and I continue to make sure the item does not run out. I love receiving compliments about my food. When a customer can identify what they are tasting, such as cumin or chili powder, and tell me it is very good. Also, I love being able to use my vacation time when we are closed or are slow. Being able to use a sick day to go to the doctor for an eye injection for macular degeneration, is also a perk. My employer truly cares about my well being.
Pros
Food voucher, health care
Always busy doing nothing
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHApril 11, 2017
Nothing as in, you are living your life as a student, but get to hang out with people. I get paid to hang out with people I wouldn't have hung out with otherwise, I get to be a mentor and leader to others, and I get to create fun events. It is a wonderful job, although it can be stressful at times. Life/work balance is essential for job success. The staff is great to work with and I'm so happy I chose to stay in the job.
Pros
Hang out with people, great experience
Cons
pay is okay, need 2nd job for actual money, hours are rough
Relaxed, go-with-the-flow atmosphere, flexible
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHApril 8, 2017
Managers helpful, relaxed, and friendly yet professional. Employees had complete control over how much they worked. I learned how to better communicate through tutoring. Really enjoyed receiving feedback from students when they said that I really helped them out. When the tutoring area was very busy (multiple students to work with at once), it got a bit stressful and a bit overwhelming.
Great Place to work and learned many new technologies
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHApril 7, 2017
Its a Fun place to work and solving the challenges as a team is great feeling. The most good part is when we help students in setting up the environments and help them when they have troubles is most enjoyable part of the job.
Yea
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHApril 6, 2017
Good place to work if you are TT. Anyone else not so much since there is no security. Being an adjunct or a NTT at Kent is not an ideal job since it pays a lot less and requires more work.
Typical on-campus security job
Security Aide/Area Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHApril 4, 2017
Patrolling the dorm room halls is great. The job really helps learn confrontational skills. An especially good job for criminal justice majors. Work along with other Kent police officers.
Pros
Ability to do homework, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Third shift
Good place to work and develop research
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 26, 2017
Good working atmosphere. Nice environment for collaboration. Supporting, understanding towards my needs as an employee. Kind people always willing to help.
Easygoing atmosphere, will work around school schedule
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 21, 2017
I loved working here. The boss was great, my coworkers as well. I enjoyed the freedom to move about the entire building and the satisfaction of keeping it clean. Sometimes got messy with clean up but overall a very easy going place to work. Worked around my school schedule.
Pros
easy work, fun coworkers
Cons
minimum wage was hard to live off of while going to school full time and having to rent
Kent State University Puts Students First
University Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 20, 2017
As a student worker, I found the management was extremely supportive and understanding toward my needs as a student as well as an employee. Not only were they willing to help me with school/work balance, but management figures also served as important mentors and supportive educators to help me further my goals.
Pros
Mentor ship from management, school/life balance, supportive environment, emphasis on education and skill building
Cons
low pay, minimal available hours
Good Place to expose your skills and learn new tehcmologies
Student Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 16, 2017
As a application developer i was given chance create and develop the applications that are help for Students and faculty. The working of projects are done in agile environment where a day starts with meetings, discuss about the project status. I felt really challenging working with workflow management of applications.
One of the most fun places to work.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 11, 2017
If you ever find yourself at Kent state University, and looking for a way to earn a few extra bucks, The dining service of this university, can provide you with a quick way to make money and be helpful to the university at the same time.
Apart from that, if you've never worked before, this place can teach you about how a work environment is managed, and the its hierarchy. Makes you a team player, and turns you into a responsible adult.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Too close for a vehicle, too far for a walk
Challenging but productive and enjoyable
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 10, 2017
Able to go to school and work, flexible and enjoyed my time while employed. Athletics is fun and always changing, never the same routine. Enjoy watching the athletes grow and mature.
best job i had
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHFebruary 27, 2017
new fresh faces really friendly people. Slow down times. always working with friendly people. made some really good friends here
Provides great support to graduate assistants and encourages critical thinking and growth
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 22, 2017
The graduate assistant program includes a stipend as well as opportunities for additional stipends with the university. Tuition is also covered with the assistantship which is crucial to attendance at the university and creating the ability to work at the university and be a student simultaneously.
Comfortable, slow paced work place
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 12, 2017
A typical day of work was met with resistance towards progressing any ongoing projects beyond the absolute necessary. Student workers are not incentivized to provide high-quality service, management has no pressure to improve quality or innovate. I've learned that such thick amounts of bureaucracy impede the speed of work while also causing massive disruption across many departments when something does change. Management is highly reactive in that a slight change in hierarchy can have large cascading changes for management further down the chain, disrupting basic work processes. The hardest part was being restricted in most ways when it came to progressing work, being stuck behind a lax manager to finish a process drastically slows down duties. The most enjoyable part is the low expectations to actually do work, making for mostly free time with satisfying finishes when you do finish a project.
Pros
Little work, low expectations, pretty much able to take a break or come and go as pleased
Cons
Slow work, frustrating management, constantly changing upper management
The best job I ever had
Senior Study Abroad Peer Ambassador/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 8, 2017
Being a Study Abroad Peer Ambassador was the best job I could have ever asked for. My boss was phenomenal and the balance I was given for school and my personal life was extremely ideal. There is no downside to this position. I had the chance to change students lives by creating study abroad programs and sending them to countries they never thought they could go to.
Adjunct teachers make up most of the work force. No Benefits!
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 3, 2017
A nice place to work if you have a full-time position! As an adjunct teacher, there is no security or benefits. Low pay for the same work as full-time teachers. I enjoyed the students and co-workers. One needs a salary to live on and benefits. It is a nice place.
Kennel Technician
Kennel Technician (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHJanuary 29, 2017
I enjoy this job working one on one with the patients we have in class. This helps continue the experience we will be getting in a real clinic setting.
I have learnt more about Customer Relational Management
SQBX tool (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 28, 2017
It was a great experience working on campus in kent state university I have learnt many things which helps me in developing skills, critical thinking, time management and customer relationship.
Pros
Developed communication skills
Cons
No cons
Great place to learn and teach
English/Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHJanuary 26, 2017
Typically, days could be kind of slow, I'd usually only help a couple of students a day. I learned a lot about teaching, communicating and critiquing from this experience. The overall atmosphere of the workplace was very relaxed and casual. The most difficult thing I found about this job was showing students there errors while making sure they didn't feel lesser or disappointed. The most rewarding thing about this position was seeing students improve with my help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kent State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4