Kent State University Employee Reviews

Four Star
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHFebruary 12, 2018
Good Campus to get an Associates Degree. The professors are great, if you can get one you understand. And make sure to get an adviser for your major, so you know exactly what classes to take.
Very Satisfied
Business Systems Analyst - Lead (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 9, 2018
Very Satisfied at Kent State. Great place to work and to grow professionally. Benefits are wonderful and working at a place which helps future generations is a plus.
Good Part Time job while in school
KENT STATE IT TECH SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 5, 2018
You are a student who is doing IT work for staff. making sure the computers of the faculty are good to go and also the classrooms. Very friendly people for face to face interaction.
Pros
work at school and go to class. work around your school schedule
Cons
paid time off?
Dance Team Coach
Head Dance Team Coach (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 1, 2018
The program is not seen as a requirement for the University, so the students are forced to pay to be involved, along with a very low salary for coaches with an excessive amount of hours spent at weekly practices, games and events
Excellent working atmosphere
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  College of Public HealthJanuary 31, 2018
I worked as a graduate research assistant at college of public health.I have been gaining experience on intervention research to improve infection control practices in a community hospital. I also work on data collection, both quantitative i.e. rates, trends, survey responses, and qualitative - interviews and observations. I got the opportunity to co-author research papers which we have submitted for publication at peer-reviewed journals.
previous employment
Groundskeeper/Labor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 29, 2018
I worked for 28 years, and retired at a early age, but would like to continue to work. I like working with people and enjoy learning new things. My typical day was a list of things to complete from our supervisor, which may include mowing grass, planting flowers, trimming and weeding, working at the stadium preparing the campus football field for the game day, during the winter season I would do snow removal, salt or clear walkways. I have worked with all different cultures, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the beautification of my work.
Nice Job with no regrets
UI developer (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 26, 2018
It was a fantastic experience.Flexible hours, work balance promoted.I have learned a lot in one year that helped me to increase my skills as a front-end developer.
Pros
working environment, supporting staff.
Cons
Less working hours.
Minimum Hours with minimal advancement
KSU Student Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 23, 2018
Decent side job if you’re a student. They will work around your schedule and do their best to get you hours if your willing. Although only good for pay a few bills and nothing more, because of the 28 hours a week cap.
Very friendly and flexible with demanding school schedules.
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, OHJanuary 19, 2018
My boss was very kind and went through extensive training to ensure we could perform our jobs well. This was a very good opportunity for any college level student wanting some sort of income while taking classes full-time. You also could develop social skills in dealing with students and patrons. Assisting those who needed help was all part of the job and feeling good helping students find the resources they needed.
Pros
Friendly environment and flexible hours
Cons
Short shifts and low pay
Great Opportunity
Student Lead (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 19, 2018
The team I work with at Kent State is fun & joyful to work with. You make quick friends with the other student workers & my supervisor is very understanding. He understands that school & classes come first so his expectations reflect that. There are slow days that you can take a breath & wind down. There are also days that you need to work at a fast pace so the work needed can be completed. I am very happy with my student job at KSU.
Pros
Good pay!
Cons
28 hour work cap
Work setting was beautiful and stimulating.
Outreach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 14, 2018
My position had a variety of services we provided so no day was the same. I was an Outreach Counselor and covered five counties. We provided individual alcohol support services and assistance to agencies in the special needs of people who have dual diagnosis.
I learned a great deal about alcohol and drug addictions and how to adapt material to meet the special needs of our clients.
It was a small, close staff with a relaxed work environment.
The most difficult part of the job for me was giving educational presentations for large community agencies.
The best part of the job was the variety of different services we provided making every day interesting and challenging.
Pros
flexibility, nice work setting, benifits
Cons
It was a 40 minute drive one way.
Summary
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 13, 2018
Great University to work for. Staff is very nice as is most faculty. Some faculty aspire for management power and egotistically judge others. Being full academics, the last time they were in the real world was prior to pre-school.
Pros
Student body keeps you young in mind
Cons
Egos of some professors
It was a great experience to work.
Part Time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 10, 2018
The job was really cool, i have learned a lot teaching the other fellow students. Sharing knowledge gaining some Experience. This job mainly deals with interaction with the other students.
University enforces mediocrity
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Kent OHJanuary 6, 2018
Everything--and I mean everything--at KSU is based on the politics of personality. The university is no more designed to educate students than a potato is designed to lactate.As a result, learning is based on jargon and slogans. Compensation is low; satisfaction, lower.The Administration believes the university is a for-profit corporation.
Cons
You do NOT want to work there.
It was a good experience
Student Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  University Events & Conference ServicesJanuary 5, 2018
I have worked in Kent State University for two years at different job positions. The workplace environment was pretty relax and the co-workers are pretty nice. The pay rage is a little bit low though.
Educational Environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHJanuary 3, 2018
I learned a lot about teaching and helping vs doing the work myself. I had a great experience, and did not have any complaints during my time at Kent State.
Great Environment.
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 1, 2018
Great management, days are fast and enjoyable, great workplace culture. The hardest part was learning the skills necessary to utilize the digital signage software.
Pros
Lots of benefits for students, flexible hours, free food, etc.
Cons
None to report.
Fun Place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  East Liverpool, OHJanuary 1, 2018
As an adjunct instructor, duties included preparing course syllabi, teaching various criminal justice courses, grading student assignments and exams and submitting grades.
Resident service (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHDecember 31, 2017
Kent State is a great place to work.Lots of ways to advance your career.
Free education for full time employees
Paid holidays
variety of jobs avaibabl
Good place to do research
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHDecember 29, 2017
Flexible hours, hard working groups, competitive atmosphere. No healthcare or other benefits, or poorly subsidized. Nice, quite campus, close to dinning services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kent State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3