Kent State University

Kent State University United States Employee Reviews

Positive atmosphere and lovely co-workers
English Instructor (Current Employee), KentApril 14, 2015
Pros: Covering 70% of your insurance
Cons: limited time
My work place is full of joy and you can just be yourself. I could find many friends from different cultures and backgrounds that helped me to be a better person and also a successful teacher. Being an English teacher was my biggest dream in my entire life,therefor, getting up every morning reminds me how blessed I am as an English teacher. In general, working as an ESL instructor can have it's own positive and negative aspects. The positive side can be working with different students from all over the world, which is so interesting and at the same time challenging. The negative aspect of working in intensive English program is that you don't have enough time to cover every essential details.
In conclusion, I am really happy with my current job at Kent State University.
College Composition Work
Teacher/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Kent, OHApril 3, 2015
College Composition work pays little and is respected less. Even so, this is not a bad University for which to work. The faculty treat you well, the pay is okay for a side job, and the students are fun to teach.
DECA is a huge opportunity to develop leadership
President of DECA (Current Employee), Kent, OHMarch 31, 2015
As president of DECA, I am in charge of facilitating my officers and making sure they are taking care of their duties and assist them when needed. Then my duties are to contact people in order to create fundraisers, community service events, conferences/competitions, and I also call our meetings and discuss what is going on within the organization. I have learned how to be an effective leader and which leadership styles work in certain situations.
A good teaching community
Assistant Professor of Nursing (Former Employee), Ashtabula, OHMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Encourages a culture of learning
Cons: Needs more diversity in staffing and student population
Good teachers and instructors who are determined to help students succeed in their academic work. Kent State University provides excellent environment that is conducive for learning.
Kent State University
Full Time Non-Tenure Track Instructor (Current Employee), Kent, OHMarch 20, 2015
Pros: great benefits, co-workers, time off, high job satisfaction, motivates one to stay current in field of choice, reduced hours in the summer
Cons: during semesters: very long hours (60+ hours per week)
Kent State University fosters a positive work environment. The university advocates employee independence and creativity without abiding to a set schedule. As instructors we have a set teaching schedule, although other work responsibilities are dictated by our own accord.

The university provides unlimited resources as well as open communication as a top priority, allowing for faculty and staff to optimize and achieve our potential and better our productivity.

The hardest part of the profession is to be able to restrict work responsibilities and simply saying no because of the positive feedback and job satisfaction.
Laid back with a lot of down time
Student Manager in Operations (Current Employee), Kent, OHMarch 14, 2015
Pros: down time to work on class work
Cons: demanding labor
A typical day will consist of leading a crew of four people, opening meeting rooms with set ups of equipment and interacting with customers to meet their needs.
Form this job I have learned how important communication can be. Through personal experience I have learned how to communicate to various people under different circumstances.
The hardest part of the job is communication. Because the there are various departments working under one room to make Kent State run the smoothest and can be difficult communicate with each department to make sure everyone is on the same page.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity in the building. As previously stated, there are several departments working under one roof which can be challenging, but also rewarding meeting and interacting with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Kent, OHMarch 5, 2015
Pros: great lunch menu
Cons: no free lunches (literally)
Created menu boards, filled and prepped registers for the days business, handled student meal purchases and informed them of their account balances

Reinforced my knowledge of the food industry and how to run a successful business

Management could be difficult to deal with at times
The job wasn't difficult. It was simplistic and had more to do with common sense than anything

The most enjoyable part: FREE cappuccino and hot cocoa during the winter!
Graduate Assistant AT
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Current Employee), Kent, OHMarch 3, 2015
A typical day revolves around your assigned sports team and their practice, game or travel schedule. Although the position is supposed to be part time, rarely does it allow for less thank 40 hours of commitments a week. Add graduate work on top of that and it can be a little stressful. Overall it is a nice place to work but it a sprint to the finish line.
Great entry level college job.
Researcher (Former Employee), Kent, OhioMarch 1, 2015
The University works well around students schedules. However in this particular department work is often intermittent.
KSU Food Service
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Food Service, all jobs on campus have same problemFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no job security) can fired you at time if you are part the union
This was a good job but, it sucked when they fired me with no heads up. I was a state employee but its' cheaper to employ students to do the same work for 2 dollars less.
Good place to study
Instructor (Current Employee), Kent, OHFebruary 25, 2015
I am attending a PhD program in Kent. They offer part-time position to support students. Enjoyed my time here. People are very mice to work with. Great place to pursue A degree.
Nice academic environment
Adjunct Instructor, English (Current Employee), Kent, OHFebruary 20, 2015
As an adjunct, there is a lot of work that is very mentally rewarding but there is very little in the way of material compensation for the time and effort spent. It is even worse, since most institutions of higher education are reducing the number of hours adjuncts are able to work because these institutions don't want to pay for health care insurance. Otherwise the environment here is friendly and helpful to professional development.
Great Opportunity
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING INTERNSHIP (Former Employee), Ashtabula, OHFebruary 18, 2015
I had a great time interning for Kent State University Communications and Marketing Department.
I got to create graphic designs, interview students and faculty and write highlight articles and press releases, and assisted with multiple special events.
Cleaning Staff
Cleaning Staff (Former Employee), Kent, OHFebruary 11, 2015
I learned how to clean the machines and workout equipment by a staff member giving me instructors. the hardest part of my job was that I got into trouble with one of my fellow co-workers and we both got written up
Great benefits, job stability
Faculty IT trainer, 1yr contract (Former Employee), Kent, OHJanuary 29, 2015
Universities typically are more secure, job-wise, than the typical corporate work environment, and Kent State is no exception. The work environment was nice and the benefits, particularly health care and retirement, are significantly better than most other places. The added value/benefit of a free continuing education for the employer and immediate family cannot be overstated.

The IT department has some issues at the higher levels, but in general, I would highly recommend Kent State as a great place to work.
Education
Academic Advisor (Current Employee), New Philadelphia, OH and Kent, OHJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: helping students get to their dreams
Cons: no real appreciation from management
I love my students and the staff with which I work directly. However, there are issues with fairness in pay, etc. as far as my classification is concerned. I am happy everyday when I work with students and I learn from them constantly.
Student employment:
Assistant Reference Librarian Student-Worker (Former Employee), Salem, OHJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons: management
Ok part time work for students. There is a lot of down time though, makes the day boring and somewhat long.
Its admission office of Kent State with lots of International Activities
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Kent, OHJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: tuition fee waiver
Cons: demanding as i am enrolled in 16 credit hours of mba as well.
I currently work as Graduate Assistant in Admissions office of Kent State, this job requires me to be very sincere and very strategic.

I help my Boss in International Application reviews, GPA equivalency calculations and other clerical work. My work is purely analytical and sometimes it requires me to do straight calculations for complete 8 hours.
Phone Center
Phone Center Assistant (Former Employee), Kent, OHJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: a lot of donation rejections
It was an okay job for the summer. You really had to work hard in order to get people to donate to the University, but that only increases your persuasive skills.
its good to work with the team
Software Developer and Technical Assistant (Former Employee), kent ohioJanuary 9, 2015
the team is most collaborative , i enjoyed working with the team

1 2 3 4 5