Kentucky State University Employee Reviews

Reputation
Head of Circulation (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYDecember 9, 2017
The reputation is not the best with a constant turnover rate. This is addressed with each new President, but continues. Most of the Presidents will not allow their children to attend there. I loved working with first generation students
Pros
Students and community
Cons
Turnover
Easy place to work.
RESEARC ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYNovember 14, 2017
Work ranges from hard to easy based on where you work. However, there is not much pressure of work as it is a slow-pace work place. Management should be improved. Small university, so you will know people.
Ksu
Instructional Counselor (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed working with the students but the budget was always being cut and several adjunct contracts were not renewed. The lack of stability created stress.
Terrible place to work
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYOctober 3, 2017
The typical day was one where the worker has no idea if the department Chair will decide to come to work or not. She had no idea how to run the department or to do any of the day-to-day required tasks. She was the fifth chairperson for the department in the past 5 years.

Administration understood the Chairperson was a waste, but didn't care. VP of Academic Affairs covered for her on numerous occasions to the detriment of the department.
Cons
Good
Research and Extension Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYSeptember 25, 2017
Kentucky State University as a whole is not managed well. The College of Ag runs fairly smoothly. There is a lot to learn from the many different backgrounds that people have.
I love my job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 20, 2017
I love working at my HBCU. I was first hired on full time and then I decided to enroll back in school as well. I love working and attending this school as a student. There are some downfalls but for the most part, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed my 1 year here at KY STATE
Difficult environment to work in. High pressure most of the time.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYSeptember 5, 2017
Kentucky State University has been undergoing substantial change in the last few years. There have been three different presidents over the last four years, which has caused the culture and management expectations to shift dramatically over a short time period. Management changes have also resulted in significant turnover during that time period. Most employees are very stressed about the lack of job security.
Pros
Opportunity to advance educational attainment, good retirement benefits
Cons
Stressful work environment, lack of job security
Very disorganized
Adjunct Professor College of Nursing AD Program (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYAugust 27, 2017
Disorganized from orientation to curriculum planning and development. Rude employees in human resource department, failed to pay employees on time. Very little accountability. Students suffer.
Pros
The desire to do well is there.
Cons
The knowledge on how to do well is missing.
Its been a great experience.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYAugust 23, 2017
Gained greated knowledge and created great bonds with people that I know at any time in my career if needed they would be there. I just feel that I can do better, so I believe its time to expand my horizons.
Horrible Place to work
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYAugust 8, 2017
This place is beyond messed up. No one knows what they are doing, it is lacking in training and everything is top priority. The turnover here is astronomical. I can't blame people for leaving.
Very Progressive
Residence Life Intern (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYAugust 2, 2017
Going to school and working for Kentucky State University has literally changed my life. From the people i met to the people lives I have effected. Kentucky State University has equipped me with the confidence, leadership skills, a sense of accountability and responsibility that i believe will be helpful and beneficial in any field of work i chose to pursue.
Pros
Networking and building relationship with other students.
Cons
Financial Aid Office
Kentucky State University
"Acting" Assistant Director of Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJuly 25, 2017
Kentucky State University has become my home away from home. I am excited every day to see what new challenges spring forward. I love working with the students at Kentucky State University and now look for new endeavors.
Pros
Free classes
Cons
some weekends
Great
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 23, 2017
Internship was wonderful. Learned a lot within my field from professionals with great experience and class. They were willing to give me great task and help me along the way if I needed anything.
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 5, 2017
KSU offers lots of time off but salaries are low end of pay scale despite an overhaul several years ago. There is not much room for advancement in the staff position at the university. The political climate is also challenging.
Loved the job
Temporary Service (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMay 30, 2017
Management highers all their family and doesn't make them work and doesn't care about the other workers that work their butts off to make sure the job gets done properly.
Good Student Work Opportunities
Student Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMay 16, 2017
KSU has many opportunities for students to work part time while studying for their degree. They offer flexible positions that allow students to earn a littl money while furthering their education.
I love the students
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  KentuckyMay 3, 2017
Kentucky State is in a process of transitioning. It is recovering from years of neglect and mismanagement. It is in the process of being updated to be able provide students with accurate support. With that being said... Working here was an experience. I learned a lot about myself and others here. I felt that sometimes there was not support. You are expected to do double sometimes triple the work with little pay. Students aren't supported as best as they could be. There is lack of communications between everyone... students staff faculty administrators and even the dinning staff.
Pros
Sense of community amongst the students is long legacy in the community. Health dental vision
Cons
Underpaid under managed no support no communication
Embraces temporary workforce/employees
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMarch 21, 2017
Embraces temporary workforce/employees. Wonderful work environment. Great flexibility. Great co-workers. Fantastic experience. Would recommend to anyone looking for employment.
Teaching at KSU
Full Time 40 Hrs/Wk (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYFebruary 1, 2017
I was the acting chairman in the Computer Science and technology division at this university.
I taught courses in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Sciences, and Engineering at this institution.
good consistent work
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, kyJanuary 11, 2017
Consistent work environment bi weekly pay and a lot of different departments to choose from, got paid above minimum wage