Kern Community College District Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Individuals are hard workers who will always give more than required
Institutiional Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 26, 2016
The people who work here are like mined and have student successes at the forefront of their minds. Individuals are hard workers who will always give more than required.
Great environment
Student Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 21, 2015
Start out the day with saying hello to everyone. Answer calls and then transfer. Check the mail then take them upstairs and deliver in proper mail slots. Filing was done when necessary. I learned to smile more. Management was great. My coworkers were so nice and always supportive. The hardest part of the job was sometimes getting the wrong kind of people in the halls. The most enjoyable was being able to work at my own pace.
Pros
Great environment and coworkers
Cons
pay was minimum wage
Overworked and very stressful with no appreciation
classified (Former Employee) –  RidgecrestOctober 27, 2012
Employees that have worked here for many years are getting axed in order to save money...and new hires come in to replace at half the pay and double the workload. Employees are expected to perform impossible feats at the lowest paid higher educational inst institution in Calif. And they put up with it due to bad job market in area. Employees are constantly expected to work out of job duties and make decisions that management will later scrutinize for..although there is no one else around to decide. Employees live in fear of losing their jobs daily and manageman abuses that fact . Judgemental management that plays favorites. Management takes huge pay increases while letting go hard working faculty and classified who have the direct effect on students. Have no consideration for lives of employees or customers.
Pros
health benefits...good co workers
Cons
bad management.
fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 18, 2015
I learned a lot of new things working at kern community college district, Very busy. Co-workers were awesome. The hardest part was leaving because no more for me to do. overall the job was great.
Pros
Great
Cons
Great hours
Co workers very helpful and make working there a pleasure.
Swap Meet Worker (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAMarch 20, 2014
A typical day at work, is taking the $1 gate fee per person. I worked with another person in the booth. I learned that the customers sometimes didn't always accept change of nickels and dimes. My co workers were a pleasure to work with, and made the work day a lot of fun.
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
the weather hot in the summer, cold in the winter.
Meet new people
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 19, 2012
When I would first get there I would review my duties and see what was needed to be done first. I would see what was more important to get it done first. I would file answer phones any labels or new folders I would do. Anything that the boss needed for me to get done for her I would assist her.
This place is a joke
Human Resource Assistant Dept Assist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 28, 2012
This place is a joke unless your over 50 and want to act like your in high school then this is the place for you to work at
Challenging
Mailroom/Shipping Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 14, 2012
Looking to advance within a company outside of Bakersfield
Pros
educational institution
Cons
student's who don't take education seriously
A job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 24, 2014
Had to go through stringent hiring practices to get the job.

2.9