Kern High School District Employee Reviews

Enjoyable Workplace, learning experience
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 27, 2016
Fun workplace, It has been a true learning experience for me. I have always had job security within the company and am truly grateful for my years spent there. It can be stressfull, but the friendly environment as well as feeling secure about your job is really awesome.
Pros
team work and friendly environment
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Productive and fun workplace
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work would be us staff working to get a student to accomplish one of his or her goals. I've learned it takes lots of patience getting someone to understand something co workers are awesome! Hardest thing about this job is the students parents expect us to be miracle workers but we can only do so much especially if they aren't doing work at home to continue the help . The most enjoyable thing about this job is giving a helping hand knowing someone needs your help and you're more than happy to help .
Pros
Getting to know new people
Cons
Paid once a month
Faced paced and constantly on the move
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 13, 2016
from start to finish, its always a busy day. prepping lunch items, sanitize buckets and soap. requires some computer skills, fast hands, quick feet. everyone is different so its a bit of a mystery how each day unfolds.
Videographer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 22, 2016
I enjoyed being able to watch all the of Frontier High's football games, the transportation and admittance to the games was free of cost.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
short breaks
Learning at its best
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 29, 2016
I had a great time being a tutor, not only did i work with some of the best teachers, but i also had the chance to work with my friends. I made new friends along the way as well.
Pros
close to the bus
largest high school district in CA
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 10, 2015
Great benefits.
Hard working teachers.
Ability as a teacher to have autonomy.
Uses the "good ol boy" network.
Very conservative district.
Administrators are not always promoted based on qualifications.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Upper management is promoted yet not qualified
Excellent place, great working environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lamont, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Great working environment from the start of the day till the end. I learned how to handle different aspects of customer service, and general office duties, I also learned how to calculate income for the Tax Credit Program. The management is excellent. Most of my co-workers were great to be with. The hardest part of the job was handling emergencies and complaints. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others with their concerns.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
no health benefits
Fun place to work. I am able to use my skills and interact with educators on a daily basis.
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CaSeptember 26, 2012
A typical work day starts with preparing for our accounts. As a special education teacher, I am able to supervise students at different job sites, and teach them the necessary skills to be able to obtain a job after high school. I teach OSHA to the students, explaining what the standards and rules are. In addition, everyday the students and I go over safety to ensure that each student is fully aware of the safety codes and regulations that are set by OSHA and the Kern High School District.
Pros
flexible hours, friendly work environment.
Cons
part-time, benefits are expensive.
very rewarding work place
Assist physically (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 2, 2016
very rewarding and fun. so many things to do with the students. learned how to be very patient and understanding. enjoyable job. workers are very nice and fun.
great
Clerical Specialist, Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 18, 2016
quite well, great work, spontaneous people, children are exciting, on dislike being a substitute. wish i was permanent than on call
KHSD is the largest High School District in the county. It requires a dedicated staff of substitutes on a daily basis.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 18, 2013
The average day working for this company starts at 6:30am and ends at 3:30pm. I work at assorted different sites within the greater Bakersfield area and Arvin. I am responsible for all classroom management and instructional implementation. I have developed a plethora of classroom management skills and an assortment of instructional abilities. Each assignment requires quick assessment of the management skills needed to work with the students I am given. Every school has a different set of management who are responsible for the substitutes. Along with the variety of management, come a variety of styles that I have to learn to work successfully. Depending on the assignment being either long term or daily, I learn to work with my colleagues as if I am part of the regular staff. The most difficult part of the job is classroom management. Students at this level are a challenge to train. A substitute teacher has the added disadvantage of being their teacher for only a short time. The most enjoyable part of my job is the personal feeling of success when a student finally learns a difficult concept, and the "Oh I get it" light goes off inside their eyes. That is what I hope for every day.
Pros
Student success, sharing my knowledge with others.
Cons
No benefits, no health care, no job security, not my own classroom.
Productive company.
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 6, 2014
Good company to work for. Great benefits, but the pay is low and it takes awhile to move up in pay. You will work a lot in an eight hour day, so be prepared to work. Co-workers will become good friends.
Pros
Great Benefits.
Cons
Pay is low and doing a lot of work in a short amount of time.
Great job for athletic individuals!
Sports Official (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 7, 2016
I was responsible for refereeing girls volleyball games. I ensured that all rules and regulations were adhered to and demonstrated good sportsmanship. It's definitely a great way to stay in shape!
Pros
Active, fun to watch the games and interact with the kids and their parents
Cons
Not enough hours
Rewarding Continual Learning Work Environment
Attendance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 16, 2014
Challenging fast-paced, multicultural and various diversities work environment. New learning experience everyday with students, parents, public, and during collaboration with staff.

Co-workers work hard at working as a team while practicing everyday communication skills. The hardest part of the job is not always being able to please irate parents.

The most enjoyable part of the job is starting a new school year with new goals and objectives.
Pros
Continual Learning
Cons
Unable to always please everyone
produtive and fun place to work
Kitchen aide (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 8, 2015
Always a different day. Some days were harder than others. management was not great leaders. days were productive but not organized.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lack of communcation
Learning experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 18, 2015
I was busy each day at work engaging students in learning. I was mostly dealing with subjects: Math and Natural Sciences. I also managed the classroom in making sure the classroom is an environment safe for learning. Typically, I followed a Lesson Plan left by the main instructor. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with students and helping them learn new skills for their future careers.
Pros
consturctive criticism
Cons
short lunch breaks
a typical day at work
bike repair specialist (Former Employee) –  Jack A shultz Career centerOctober 6, 2015
As my experience with Kern High School District Summer Student Work Program. was very easy and my supervisor was nice and understanding. even though it was for 6 weeks out of the summer it was far most the best job a 15 year old could have.
I enjoy announcing high school sports, but wish I received better compensation!
Public Address Announcer (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 30, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy announcing a variety of sporting events at both Liberty and Ridgeview High Schools in Bakersfield! If I don't feel the electricity from the crowd, I create it! I enjoy working with the athletic directors and game-day staff at both institutions.
Pros
Excitement
Cons
Low Pay for my performance
I love the idea of each day being different.
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 29, 2013
Working at Kern High School District simply means that we never know what to expect. One minute it can be very quiet, and the next minute you can have issues throughout the entire work day. I enjoy working with students on all levels. My position as a Campus Supervisor, deals with high school students, as well as adult school students. The hardest part of the job is watching students let an opportunity pass them by. Instead of completing their classes, and receiving their high school diplomas, many of them will drop out never returning.
Pros
Free education for anyone willing to complete their program of study.
Cons
I am currently not utilizing my bachelor's degree.
if you are interested in education than this is the one
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 5, 2013
There are various departments to work for and various personalities. Research what your career goals are first and decide if working with teen age children is what you really want. The students can be fun and it's great to have holidays and weekends off.

4.3