Kern High School District Employee Reviews

Over all a good enviornment to work with
Peer Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 13, 2017
When I showed up to work, we would mostly have meetings of what we needed to do. We all got our schedules together to make sure we could all meet up on the same day. We would all show up to events that were foster youth oriented. This job itself is quite enjoyable. I would say the hardest part of the job is having to work with the different personalities in the foster youth.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
getting everyones schedules to sync
regimented
Instructional Assistant, Special Education (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 2, 2017
A typical day at work is being in a class with disruptive students and in my situation the teacher is gone a lot of the time. Which means I'm in charge of Special Ed Students whose behaviors could range from normal to really chaotic in a matter of seconds.

Teachers are pulled out of the class to go to Parent/Dept "meetings" so a lot of days in the school year we have Subs who know nothing about what is supposed to go on. So I am basically the teacher not getting the pay.
Pros
commaradre with other employees in my job classification
Cons
Salary is not commiserate with job duties. I made more being a sub.
kern high district
Custodian/Grounds (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 31, 2017
work is great the hours are great the benefits are great, but the people can be horrible, people in charge only hire there friends and family,if they dont get along with you they will lie and cheat to get you fired.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
they can lie to get you fired.
Fun and Productive
Color Guard Coach (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 27, 2017
It is very fun to work with the High school because I am allowed to work with young girls and boys as a coach. I am able to help them to grow and learn in the sport they love.
Pros
I get to work with some very talented students.
Cons
no cons.
Relaxed
Substitute Clerical (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 30, 2017
My typical day at work, at the KHSD, is life balance, relaxed , and best part the flexibility. workplace is some but not all calm. The hardest part I would say dealing with kids that doesn't know how to listen.
Great work environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 20, 2017
Typical work day depended on where you subbed, and for whom. Usually the experience was balanced, with 5 to 6 periods of subbing for multiple grades. The most difficult part of the job is continuity. The students know the routine, though. So it's important to listen to them as much as possible.
Passion is motivation
Track and Cross Country Coach (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 19, 2017
I coach distance kids and help them achieve a higher level of success, I love working with the kids and enjoy interacting with the staff. As a coach you have to love what you do.
Pros
Seeing kids grow
Cons
The admin
It is a fun culture
Varsity Football Position Coach (Current Employee) –  Arvin, CAJune 14, 2017
Coaching young athletes at Arvin High school is a very fun and energetic experience and that is why I continue to do so. It is important to love working with teenagers.
Love working with kids
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 21, 2017
Is fun fast I learned how to prepare food for the kids the manager was awesome, hardest part of my job was some times the kids where rude, enjoying the kids that came to help serve lunch.
great place
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield CAMay 11, 2017
This is a new facility. Great school wonderful people. A typical day for me starts at 7:30 in the morning and ends between 3:30 and 4:00. I begin my day by setting up the classroom for the days lesson and I end my day with grading and clean up in preparation for the following day.
really good energy
Peer Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 25, 2017
I loved my time working as a peer support worker it was an amazing experience but I don't know why I have to write so much about it to make this profile
Fun place to work for.
Parking Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 1, 2017
The Kern High School District is a wonderful organization to work for. They strive on making your life easier whether you're a student or employee. love it
I worked at the park, and the pools.
Handyman (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 22, 2017
I learned more skills going through the Kern High School District. I operated power equipment. Mowers, chain saws, electric clippers, pruning saws. Mowed and edge lawns using power mowers and edger. Cared for established lawns, weeding, trimming and edging flower beds. Used hand tools, shovels, rakes, pruning saws, and edge trimmers. Pruned trees and bushes. Repaired and fixed defective equipment using hand tools and power tools. Also cleaned pools.
Productive and fun work place.
Certified Construction Electrician (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Supervising 9 students at a time. Cleaning and passing out and assisting students with classwork. Communicate and help each student accomplish iep goals.
Great When I was a Student
Student Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 22, 2017
I worked part time when I was also enrolled at the school and I enjoyed the work experience and the break from a regular school day. I learned a lot and appreciated that part of my life.
Excellent School, and School District
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Very good school to work for. Excellent faculty and great admin team. The school is growing and continues to renovate and improve.
Pros
Excellent Admin
I love it!
Boys & Girls Club Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 5, 2017
I look forward to work everyday. I have amazing coworkers who are so helpful. I love going into work knowing I am going to make a difference in the children's lives.
Pros
The students who are happy to see me
Cons
The hours
food server
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 27, 2016
I would serve food to the students, clean my station, and sanitize my station, take the extra food to the back to be counted for and trashed for that day I would clean dishes and stock dishes, help where there's needed help prepare for the next day
Pros
free lunches, sometimes fast paces
Cons
short days
Loved the students, but alot of the co workers weren't team players, a lot of back biting and unhappy struggling employees, morale real low.
Mobility Aide Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield CaDecember 27, 2016
The Kern High School District needs improving, showing more appreciation towards their employees, and making sure that people are doing what they're suppose to do. A lot of times I would find my self doing something some one else was assigned to do, just because they didn't feel they should have to do it.
Pros
Building relationships with wonderful talented students, lots of laughs fun times
Cons
short staffed, bitter unhappy fellow employees, no team work favortism no room for growth.
Summary
Substitute Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 17, 2016
Perform clerical duties including filing and inventory
Communicate with parents in order to provide general information
Sort and distribute incoming mail
Operate office machinery such as copier and fax machine
Type and proofread outgoing correspondence