Key Program, Inc. Employee Reviews

Horrible experience
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 20, 2017
I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. Upper management did not respect the case workers at all. We would have "meetings" but they didn't leave much room to voice your opinions. THE KEY PROGRAM NEEDS COMPANY VEHICLES. You have to use your own vehicle to drive to places like Boston. Upon hire, i was informed I would have to drive to greenfield/Pittsfield once a month. However, some weeks I was made to drive there three times a week. The clients are cool although they have minor issues. but the staff, especially at the state street office, are rude and inconsiderate. Also too many cliques and my supervisor in Springfield was incompetent.
Pros
Learning about the clients
Cons
Cliques, upper management, state st office, use of personal vehicle for long drives, forcing caseworkers to drive to Boston
September 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at the Key Program. I'm sorry to learn that you did not have an overall satisfactory experience. In regard to voicing your opinion, there are several structured and professional forums for staff to express themselves and have discussions with supervisory staff. Specifically, in their one-on-one supervision meetings with their Program Supervisor. There is also an on-call supervisor available 24/7 who is there to support both staff and clients who would welcome feedback from staff. It is made clear in the interview that Key operates as a "team" and if one program is in need of more support for the safety of all, any Key staff member would be ready, willing and able to support their teammates; and they would expect the same in return when their program is in need of additional support. By supporting and working in other programs, staff are given an opportunity to expand their knowledge and experience by learning a variety of different program models and to work with different client populations. It is also made clear in the interview process that a condition of employment is to have a legal registered and insured vehicle for work use. An important part of Key's services is to provide transportation for our clients to and from school, to medical appointments, to home visits, to recreational activities, etc. Staff are paid for their transport/travel time and receive mileage reimbursement at 40 cents per mile for any transportation or travel they do on behalf of Key. Any additional mileage reimbursement  more... allowance, by MA law, may be claimed on personal income taxes. On a positive note, it appears that you did enjoy working with and learning about our client population. I hope that you have been able to take what you learned at Key to advance yourself in another position within the human service field. We wish you success in your career.  less

Good place to start a career with many opportunities for advancement
Assistant Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 26, 2016
Key is a good place to begin a career in the human services field. Key offers great experiences with many opportunities for collaterals contacts and advancement,
Pros
Great benefits, plenty of hours
Cons
Not much of a work/life balance, inconsistent work schedule
January 5, 2017

Thank you for commenting about your employment experience at Key. Key is a stepping stone for many of our employees who are looking for entry-level direct care experience, supervisory experience or clinical experience. Key is committed to the professional growth and development of every employee and we value lifelong learners of human services. Thank you very much for your dedication, every day, in order to make a real difference in the life of children and youth.

Very demanding schedule great field experieence
Residential worker and supervisor (Former Employee) –  Methuen MADecember 17, 2016
I worked at a few different positions at Key. I found the schedule demanding at each position but I also knew where to find support when I needed it access to good training quality systems in place for managing troubled kids and families with very difficult behaviors
Pros
Good training and good teamwork
January 5, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your work experience at the Key Program. We acknowledge the hard work and sacrifices made by all our staff, both individually and as a team, so they can make the greatest difference in the lives of the children they work with each day. Thank you for your hard work, your dedication to the clients, and your commitment to your team. Teamwork is vital to our mission. We hope that the direct, hands-on experience, training, supervision and guidance you received at the Key Program has provided you with upward mobility as you pursue your career. On behalf of Key, we wish you great success.

great place to work
Residential Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 14, 2016
The schedule includes nights and weekends; though I consistently received two days in a row off. I learned a ton about the kids and the 'system' and learned a great deal about how to deal with children with a variety of emotional and behavioral issues. There's tons of support and development around professional writing.

The are some really good days where it doesn't even feel like a job and there are also some really difficult and stressful days; however I also found that there were supportive people in the program to help during the hardest times.
January 5, 2017

Thank you for your comments about your experience at the Key Program. We strive to have as many good days as possible, but during those "stressful days," my guess is that you learned a whole different set of skills and strategies that helped you build confidence to successfully manage crisis situations and to safely diffuse difficult client behavior. We hope that the hands-on experience, support and training that you received at Key has positioned you for a different experience and position in the human service field. We wish you the best of luck as you pursue your career.

The hardest and most rewarding job I've ever loved...
Residential Clinician (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MADecember 10, 2016
Key is an awesome place to make a difference in the lives of youth who have experienced significant struggles in their young lives. Working as part of this team continues to be an amazing experience for me... Every one of my team members is hard working and dedicated to the kids and to each other. The Key Program sets their standards high because our young clients deserve our best! I am proud to be part of this agency and this very dedicated team of professionals...
Pros
Amazing "team" environment -
Cons
Sometimes the hours can be long....
January 5, 2017

Thank you for your kind words regarding your experience working at the Key Program. Teamwork is a critical part of a program's success because it really does 'take a village' to provide the support and treatment our children and youth need, each day. Yes, "sometimes the hours can be long," especially if we have a child/youth/family who is in crisis; so Key encourage all our staff to use their days-off and benefit-time for their own self-care and rejuvenation. Thank you for your commitment, dedication, and time that you give to help improve the lives of Key kids and families.

Human Services is meant to be about all humans.
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Methuen maSeptember 19, 2016
Miserable regional management that does not see the human in individual employees.

The clients are great and enjoyable to work with. A lot can be learned by interacting and engaging with them.

Each employee is expendable. I poured so much energy into the program and clients while the majority of shift supervisors stay behind locked doors gossiping and using social media. They hated me for wanting to engage with the clients and I was eventually pressured to leave.

The Office Manager is beyond meticulous and many staff wait weeks or months to receive reimbursements from money spent on the clients.
Pros
Free grilled cheese daily
Cons
Regional office out of touch with modern realities of human service field
September 21, 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Key Program. It is acknowledged that you have expressed your dissatisfaction because you feel the work and attention you provided to the clients went unrecognized by your supervisory team. However, the entry-level Residential Caseworker's primary role is that of a frontline staff member who spends their shift professionally engaging with the clients, who are in need of constant supervision. Shift supervisors have other and different responsibilities that warrant them to meet together regularly to tend to other program and regional-wide matters; while the team of Caseworkers is responsible to engage with and supervise the clients in the program. In regard to reimbursement, direct care staff are not allowed to make any unauthorized purchases on the behalf of our clients. Each program has a petty cash for client needs; and any purchases are to first be approved by a Program Supervisor. For mileage reimbursement, there is a timeframe to submit documentation that coincides with Key's every-other- week "automated" payroll schedule. If the staff is not timely with his/her reimbursement documentation, their reimbursement payment will be delayed. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Good purpose for the children, very poor training and employee support.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chestnut St., Springdield, MAMay 3, 2016
Expectations are beyond achieving. Very little training and hours expected to work are brutal. Most of my training as a new Program Supervisor came via email. Brand new to the company and expected to count in ratio after a week with no assistant program supervisor and short 4 staff. Most of my responsibilities were assigned via email and I was instructed to "follow the format" with no one to one explanation. A mandatory 45 hour a week schedule on salary turned into 60+ hours a week. One day worked 15 hours with no one to relieve me for a break. Another day was alone in the program for 6 hours with a run watch that couldn't be farther than 5 feet and in constant eye contact. The client was not allowed I. The kitchen, so preparing meals was impossible. Going to the bathroom for myself was not even an option. Inpatient level of clients with outpatient structure. Assaults on staff daily. I was forced to do restraints before I was CPI certified and left alone with clients without CPR certification. Bad experience and working environment.
May 9, 2016

Thank you for commenting about your experience at the Key Program. We are sorry that you did not have a good experience and it appears that you did not feel supported. Your comments have been shared with the regional management team for review and discussion. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

May 19, 2016

Thank you for your review of the Key Program. We are sorry that you did not have a good experience. Your comments will be shared with Key's management team for review.

Great place & Great people
Billing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 27, 2016
Working at Children's Charter- A division of Key, has definitely been a one of a kind experience. The management as well as co-workers are all around very respectful and supportive. It truly has felt like a family. This place has many great qualities, one that remains attractive & stand out, is the capability of continuously learning and amassing great knowledge from your colleagues. I truly can say that I've had a great experience and hope the same for everyone else.
Pros
Opportunity to learn, Supportive colleagues
Cons
N/A at the moment.
May 9, 2016

It was very kind of you to share your experience about working at Children's Charter Trauma Clinic, a division of the Key Program, Inc. Thank you!

July 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at Children's Charter Trauma Clinic, a Division of the Key Program. We wish the very best in your future endeavors.

Nice people but job requirements were unrealistic
Associate (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 31, 2016
Nice people and the program itself does serve the community well. Unfortunately the job description changed at point of hire and included things that were not in the original job description online. Make sure you are fully aware of what is expected before you accept.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Inadequate training
May 9, 2016

Thank you for your kind words about Key employees and the good work they do with children, youth and families. In response to your comment about the "job description change," the job responsibilities noted on our on-line job postings are not all-inclusive; but are meant to provide a sampling of what the position entails. A full job description for any position is available to applicants during the interview process; and the same is signed by the new employee on his/her first day of hire. We wish you the best as you continue in your career.

Great place to work, gain great experience
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAFebruary 27, 2016
Key program is a great place to work for. You gain great experience and get to work with great kids while doing it. I highly recommend this job to everyone looking for a position in this field.
Pros
Great environment, kids, co-workers, experience
Cons
N/a
May 9, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to express your positive comments about your experience while working at the Key Program. Thank you for all your hard work and your commitment to support the children, youth and families that you worked with at Key. We wish you the best as you continue your career.

Want to know more about Key Program, Inc.?

Ask a question
Great place to learn entry-level skills for the field but horrible management and overall job expectations
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 23, 2015
Unrealistic expectations placed on staff. Hard work and dedication go unnoticed. You, no matter your position, are expendable.
December 7, 2015

Thank you for your comments about your employment at the Key Program. We are sorry that you did not have a good experience and it appears from your comments that you did not feel appreciated by the agency. As a Supervisor at Key, we hope that you felt a sense of achievement with the work you did to train and develop your staff team and that you had felt a sense of satisfaction with the work that you did to help the kids and families that you worked with at Key. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Great place to work!
shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 16, 2015
It was a great way to step into the human resource field. After KEY I became a social worker working with children in intensive foster care. I would recommend anyone going into social work start at a residential program. Working at Key gave me the tools and life experience to be an effective social worker.
Key also has several opportunities for advancement. They recognize hard work ethic and the ability to handle difficulty situations. They are willing to teach all staff to write effective treatment plans and develop as a professional.
Looking back at my experience at Key is extremely positive. The people I met while working there I am still in touch with today. Seeing the children daily gave me a better understanding of what they were going through moving through the system.
Pros
professional experience
Cons
stress
December 7, 2015

Thank you for your thoughtful review of your experience at the Key Program. We wish you great success in your career.

Awful place to work
Residential Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, MAOctober 13, 2015
Between the stress of the actual job as a residential case worker and the hectic work schedule. I would never recommend this company to anyone. The clients are terrible and you will never have a personal life outside of work. Glorified baby sitter would be a more appropriate job title for this position. The pay is not enough to be at risk for physical harm. Clients maintain a hostile attitude towards staff and have never had a problem engaging in physical altercations with any staff member.
November 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your comments about your employment with the Key Program and I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. You are correct that working in the human service field is challenging and demanding work. At Key, we work with behaviorally challenged children and youth who have suffered multiple traumatic events throughout their short lives. Unfortunately, when feeling stressed, a child or youth may express his/her emotions by using aggressive behavior. At that time, first it is our responsibility to keep the child safe; and then it is our responsibility to work with the child to teach him safer and healthier ways to communicate his feelings or needs. All of Key employees receive a certification in crisis intervention through the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) by participating in a 16-hour training to learn and practice de-escalation and crisis intervention techniques. Further, Key offers additional crisis intervention-related trainings such as Trauma Informed Care, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Limit Setting, Avoiding Power Struggles, Professional Boundaries, and Relationship Building with Clients. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Made great friends
Residential Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAOctober 5, 2015
Key is a great place to build friendships with co workers, but its not a very safe place to work. Management doesn't really provide support in troubling situations.
November 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your experience as an employee of the Key Program. I would agree with you that Key is a great place to build friendships with co-workers and I know that happens because Residential Workers form excellent teams that provide quality care, treatment and a safe living environment for the children/youth. Safety of our clients and staff is of the utmost importance to Key. Key mandates numerous trainings for all employees including a 16-hour Crisis Intervention Certification, the Human Service Worker Safety training, Residential Safety, Personal Protection Plans, Home Visit and Community Safety, etc. Further, in every program location, there is a Program Supervisor, an Assistant Program Supervisor, a Shift Supervisor, or a Night Shift Manager present to provide support. Also every night, there is an active On-Call Supervisor who is available to staff to assist with any situation or for consultation. We wish you the best of luck as you pursue your career.

Great learning experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MASeptember 29, 2015
I was a social work intern at the key program, my experience in this organization was exceptional, the team was very supportive, my supervisor was approachable, knowledgeable and she always pushed me (in a good way) to step out of my comfort zone and acquire new skills. This is a great place to start and build your career in the social service field, teenagers are challenging to work with but at the same time they urge you to use all the tools/theories/techniques you know or learned of in class.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good coworkers, knowledgeable supervisor, good learning environment.
Cons
Teenagers can be very difficult to work with.
November 16, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a social worker intern at the Key Program. The human/social service field needs so many more people like you....people who understand WHY our teens may be challenging and people who are willing to step outside of their own comfort zone to grow personally and professionally in order to have more successful outcomes with the children, youth and families they are working with. We greatly appreciate all the work you did with our Key kids and families, Congratulations and we wish you the best of luck as you continue to move forward in your social service career.

Perfect stepping stone...
Assistant Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MASeptember 23, 2015
Working with at-risk adolescents is not for everybody. The Key Program upper management team realizes this and did an excellent job supporting employees. This is the perfect company to get your foot in the door in the Human Service field. Although the hours can be long and you have to work weekends the professional experience you gain from working at Key is excellent.
You have to be a team player working at Key as you will have to depend on your co-workers in a number of different situations a large percentage of time. Whether it's dealing with a teen in crisis or simply just devising a plan for your shift you have to be able to work as part of a team or you aren't going to be successful at Key.
Management strives to be as supportive as possible as they know how hard working in the programs can be at times as they have all been in your shoes at one point. They have a wealth of knowledge in the Human Service field and are willing to share this knowledge with you to get you where you want to be.
Overall, if you're willing to eat, sleep and live at Key for approximately 18 months I can guarantee at the end of those 18 months you will have learned more than you thought you were going to learn personally and professionally and you will have gained most of the skills needed to move on in the Human Service field.
Pros
Ever day is different, a lot to learn, gain relationships, supportive management team
Cons
Long hours, work nights/weekends
November 16, 2015

Thank you for your thoughtful review of your experience as an employee at the Key Program. You are so right about the importance of teamwork! Although your review is anonymous, we would still like thank you for all your hard work, time and dedication you put into your work to help the children/youth and families we serve. We hope that the training and experience you received in your tenure at Key has positioned you for upward mobility in your career path. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Great way to get into the human service field
Residential Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MASeptember 22, 2015
The residential caseworker position was my first position in the human service field. While the position required long hours and weekends, I felt that my work with teens was meaningful and rewarding. While Key works with kids that can be extremely challenging at times, they are also a group that has often suffered through trauma, abuse and neglect. Kids in need require a caring and skilled staff to assist them. The shifts can run long when the clients were in crisis but I was fortunate to have a strong team around me that also stayed late to ensure that the client was ok. While it seemed inconvenient at times, the kids really appreciated knowing that I cared enough to stay.
The pay is alright and the insurance is affordable. Key offers a great educational reimbursement program and the supervisors were accommodating to the school needs of the staff. I as well as many of my former teammates used this position as a stepping stone to further myself in the field. I encourage others who are looking to get their foot in the door of the Human Service world, to get their start at Key.
Pros
Rewarding work with children, career development, educational benefits
Cons
Long hours, weekends
November 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your experience as an employee at Key. Rest assured that the work you have done with the youth in your program was extremely meaningful to them and their families. I’m sure that you “planted many seeds” with the youth, but unfortunately, we are not always around to see the benefits of all the work we do with them. Sometimes, it takes a while for our messages to sink in, but we know they are listening and they do remember the people involved in their lives who genuinely cared for them. It seems to me that you were one of those people. Thank you for being a caring and dedicated staff member and we thank you for your commitment to helping the children/youth and families involved in your program. We are pleased to hear that Key was a stepping stone for you in your human services career and we wish you the very best.

A "learning experience"
Residential Caseworker (Former Employee) –  PittsfieldAugust 18, 2015
There is no happy medium here. You meet for weekly staff meetings and as a caseworker, do not get much chance for giving input, and are often belittled and spoken to like you were born yesterday. So many inconsistency issues, do as I say not as I do situations, lack of appropriate caseworker-supervisor "supervision" sessions, you expect to work there and help kids. Truth is when a kid is angry and you are talking them down and a supervisor yells at you not to talk to them until they serve a timeout or whatever...yeah, it just gets the kid amped back up. They tell you not to get into power struggles yet senior staff and supervisors do it and it leads to avoidable restraints. You can't leave when your shift is over because of lack of staff to relieve you. Instead of being thanked and shown any sort of appreciation for staying because no one is available to relieve you, they find any little thing you could do wrong and throw it all in your face. Oh and restraint reports? Cannot even tell you how many I have written and had rewritten by a supervisor to make it sound like the kid was acting more violently than they were. Some staff have caused harm to clients in restraints however it is covered up by fudging reports to make it sound like staff did everything to the letter. If funding agencies and labor department really knew how this place operated they would have so many issues. Oh and lets not forget they record everything on camera on the 2nd floor in 2 houses at this point. So they can continue to nitpick at staff who are going to continue to grow tired of it and be gone.
Pros
Decent benefits, rewarding to feel you have actually helped a kid change their ways for the better
Cons
Long hours, many back to back doubles, cliques among senior staff, inconsistent supervision, lack of communication from senior staff to caseworkers
November 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your experience as an employee at the Key Program. I am sorry that you did not have a good experience working at the Key Program. It appears that you felt unheard and underappreciated. We certainly know that someone’s feelings can’t be wrong; however, as an anonymous reviewer, all we can do is acknowledge your comments. We wish you success in your future endeavors.

Good Learning Experiences
Assistant Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 9, 2015
I have had a really steep learning curve since working in this job. I would say that in my current position, it is not a forever kind of job. However, it has definitely a good way to get my foot in the door. It has been challenging to have other commitments outside of work due to the nature of the job (and the need for staying longer to write reports, etc) as well as the possibility of getting stuck for a double shift due to gaps in the schedule.
November 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your current experience as an employee at the Key Program. I would agree with you that most people who come to Key have an incredibly steep learning curve and can be overwhelmed with the pace of our programs due to the nature of our client population. The Assistant Shift Supervisor position is an important leadership role and we greatly appreciate the hard work and personal sacrifices that you make to ensure the safety of your program and clients. Thank you!

Great company, just not enough money
Therapeutic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJuly 24, 2015
Great company to work for! They are very supportive. You may have work on Saturday but you'll have a week day off. They pay for your education. The con is they just don't pay enough.
November 16, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as an employee at the Key Program. I agree that we are a pretty “great company” and one of the many reasons is that our Management Team strives to provide the best possible wages and benefit package for ALL our staff. As a non-profit agency, our wage structure is based on our program contracts and when we can increase wages, we do. Currently, Key’s hourly wages are either the same or slightly higher than our competitive provider agencies. We keep the staff contributions to our health insurance policies at a minimum, with excellent coverage. And, as you mentioned, we offer very generous tuition assistance and graduate school scholarship benefits that we promote and encourage staff to utilize for their professional growth and development. Thank you for work you have done with our children and youth in the Therapeutic Mentoring Program. We wish you the best as you progress in your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Key Program, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8