Keystone Community Resources Employee Reviews

Top Notch!!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 29, 2016
I would need more than ten sets of hands to count the people I know personally who are 100% committed to the individuals they provide services to and they do it well. Do we have problems? Sure we do but it is no different than every other Human Services Agency out there. Everything we do revolves around people – consumers, staff, consumers families and friends, funding agencies, etc. The more people the more issues. I am more than a DSP but at the core of it all we are all DSP’s and I do work in the homes 16 hrs. a week – and these are my favorite hours of the week! I love the consumers I work with, I like my coworkers and I don't mind the hours and can usually work with what the give me since I know it is for the consumer's needs to be met. We are working with human beings and they get sick, have emergencies, behavioral concerns and they need staff with them. If you work in the residential programs there are very few opportunities for set schedules and I think the reason is obvious. I've worked with a lot of people who should never have taken the job because all they want to do is "Babysit" and that is not the job. They come in, they don't seem to like people, they sit in front of the TV and pull out their phones and then get mad when you tell them to put their phone away and get up and work. There is always something that needs to be done. Keystone provides 2 weeks of orientation training so I don't know how anyone can say they get no training. Keystone has a strong policy on cell phones/electronics/ social media and new employees can’t seem to grasp that. You can’t  more... get on Facebook when you are on the clock and talk about the people you are working with. When you are off the clock you can’t talk about people you work with by name (consumers or staff) and expect to keep working here. These people need to go somewhere else, I want to work with people who care about our consumers as much as I do. Keystone does get rid of people who blatantly abuse or neglect individuals. If people report to their manager who does nothing then shame on them for not going to the next level to ensure the health and safety of the people they are caring for. Keystone does care for their consumers and employees and they do whatever they can to show it. This economy is tough for everyone right now, including Keystone. I would hate to see their water and electric bills. Think about that before you talk about how much money they are bringing in for consumers. Utilities, mortgages, vehicles and gas, groceries, taxes, etc. There has to be business management to stay within a budget the same way I do to manage my own home. The bad reviews below really hurt me to read because I think Keystone is a top notch agency!!  less
Pros
Rewarding work - great consumers, great coworkers, great agency!
Cons
Hours are tough at times but - it"s the job!!
Terrible company
Direct service professional (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJuly 25, 2016
Management has pets. Those people can do no wrong...then the rest will b written up for little things until u are crying on your way home. Or on ur way in. Avoid this company they have a high turnover for a reason
Pros
Clients
Cons
Everything else
Horrible Chain of Command ***Beware***
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 19, 2016
I was a DSP. This company, management, and employees treat the consumers with disrespect. It's terrible. Please stay away.
Pros
The consumers
Cons
Management, Pay, Hours
Absolute Nightmare
DSP, Program Manager, Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scranton PAJune 10, 2016
I worked for Keystone Community Resources for 6 years, one of which I was a manager. That one year, was the worst year of my life. I had ZERO training, I was basically told "here are your keys, good luck" and when I reached out to a fellow manager for guidance, we both got in trouble. When I took vacation, I would return to a massive write up, for taking a vacation. Being on call 24/7/365 is not reasonable, and before you know it, you are in the group home more than your actual home.

Being a DSP is not a walk in the park either. This company does not care about its employees, and sees them as nothing but numbers and bodies. At one point in my career at Keystone Community Resources, I was working 90+ hours a week, with my only time to myself was during the hours the consumers were at day program. This leaves little time to sleep, bathe or take care of yourself in anyway, physically or mentally.

This company will hire anybody off of the street, but will not take care of the quality employees that it already has.

I was also a PER DIEM DSP at one point during my career, and they would never schedule me for hours, but the commercials are constantly playing that they're hiring. When I inquired why I wasn't being scheduled, I was told that it was my responsibility to contact different managers to "find" hours. Uhm, no.

Leaving this company was the best thing I've ever done. I lost my entire early 20's being a slave, and I would STRONGLY recommend finding employment ANYWHERE else. This place will suck you dry. I have had fellow co-workers who had to quit or take
  more... FMLA just from exhaustion, anxiety and stress.

Do your mental health a favor, and look elsewhere.
Pros
the consumers
Cons
literally. everything. else.
Stressful with minimal benefits
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJune 8, 2016
Working with the consumers is by far the best part of this job, they can make you smile on the worst day. The company on the other hand could use some changes. The schedules are a huge drawback, being on call 24/7/365 including vacations (you find someone to cover for you, but then your Coordinator will call you anyway) is extraordinarily unfair and the upper management needs to get their heads out of the clouds and remember the purpose for the agency. The consumers have become numbers and the employees are expected to give their lives up for the needs of the agency. The benefits are decent, PTO is a perk, but if you use it-you will be disciplined. Human Resources is helpful to a point, but nothing will stay confidential and everyone will know what you stated in a meeting. This is a good entry level position, but don't expect much advancement unless you know someone in the main office.
Pros
Consumers
Cons
Scheduling, management, on call with no rotation, no support, no leadership.
another awful organization taking advantage of IDD
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 2, 2016
applying for a job at keystone is like playing the lottery. everything depends on what house you're dropped in and if your coworkers and superiors are competent. (the clients are great. some may be challenging but if you actually work with the IDD because you enjoy them you won't have problems.) since keystone hires anyone right off the street more than half of the DSPs are only there for money. they don't care about the clients, nor do they take pride in what they're doing. it's just a paycheck. keystone let this happen by focusing more on expanding than taking care of what they already have/had. it's open more houses! bring in more clients! there are so many clients that have been there 20+ years and just get shuffled around from house to house. most are labeled as pathological liars so when incompetent staff screw up and the clients report them no one believes the clients because duh! they're pathological liars. don't bother reporting concerns (like staff flushing meds, leaving clients in bed in their diapers weekend mornings, not taking them anywhere in the community) to your house manager or anyone else inside of the company. they sweep it under the rug, push you to another house, and eventually get you to quit one way or another.

plus, it's a monopoly. keystone residents go to keystone day programs. take a look at HCSIS and see just how much money keystone makes off the consumers. they pay what? $11 to start? (I never saw a raise.) they offer horrible health insurance to employees. it's all laughable considering the hundreds of thousands they make a day off the clients
  more... in the form of state and federal funding (aka your tax dollars)and they're the ones who suffer the most. to keystone clients are just dollar signs and you're just a baby sitter.  less
Run Away
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clark summitJune 1, 2016
I rather clean toilets then work for this company. I can write a list of all the reasons not to work here but I dont have that kind of time. Warning to job searchers, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. You will save yourself lots of stress and anguish.
Pros
Non
Cons
Worse company I ever worked for
Management is amazing, pay is not what it should be
Day Program Professional (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAMarch 31, 2016
Oversee's the daily function of young adults with dual diagnosed mental health/ mental disabilities. As a DSS we are to make sure they are able to function with everyday task. Must keep data on behavioral health concerns and daily function charts.
Average work for average pay
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAMarch 18, 2016
I have worked here for about six months and have found that the company does try to maintain their focus on the mission and vision. With that said, I would also add that with the company's recent growth, there are still many significant issues within the operations and management. I often feel as though I am not well supported and it often seems as though minimal effort had been put into properly staffing the group homes. It is not unusual for group home staff to be scheduled for well over 40 hours in a week without asking the employee if they would be able or willing to work the overtime. In many cases, reliable employees are expected to make up for the staffing shortages.
Pros
Enjoy working with the clients
Cons
No scheduled breaks, Mandatory overtime
Inspiring work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 28, 2016
To assist consumers with accomplishing their daily life skills.
The consumers inspire you on a daily basis and bring you back to the most important things in life are the simplest things
Pros
works around school schedules
Cons
not enough employees to provide a lot of outings for consumers
great people
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJanuary 20, 2016
Diverse place to work that helps intellectually disabled individuals lead fulfilling lives through our care and compassion on a daily basis.
Pros
working with our individuals is rewarding
Cons
schedules and hours
Keystone
LPN (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 25, 2015
I love taking care of my residents. They are the best part of my job. I work with some great people also. Just not liking the direction the company is going in.
Pros
my residents
Cons
company all about the bottom dollar
Great Place to Work
Direct Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PASeptember 15, 2015
Keystone is a great place to work! I take care of people with intellectual disabilities At first, I didn't think I would be able to do this kind of work, but Keystone provides a bunch of paid training. The work is really rewarding and I have so much fun doing it - it really doesn't even feel like work most of the time! You get to take them places in the community, like to the park, bowling, to the movies. You might have a couple bad days, but who doesn't.

Keystone pays well and there is usually overtime available. They have good benefits too! Medical, dental, vision, 401K (with an employer match!), paid time off - even a day off for your birthday! They also do raises and bonuses whenever they can. We actually just got a great bonus over the summer! They started doing family events too. We went to a baseball game and Knoebels amusement park this year and it was so much fun! Other perks are the Employee Referral Bonus, Tuition Reimbursement, and opportunities to advance within the company.
Pros
Rewarding work, the clients, pay, and all the little perks!
Cons
A couple tough days
doesnt treat employees well
Direct Service Professional- Lead Staff (Current Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAAugust 19, 2015
would not recommend to anyone, does not pay what employees deserve and hires many unqualified people
the clients are amazing other than the select few and they are the only reason why most people stay longer than a few months
Very Well Organized Place To Work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAAugust 3, 2015
This Place Was Always A Stress Free Place. The Agenda was Set Up For The Clients Everyday, They Had A Plan and It Worked.
For Both The Clients and The Staff.
A Typical Day, would be getting the kids up for school, making sure they have been served their meds, school day has been prepped and the day begins.
when they come home, they are required to do homework, and chores before any outside or indoor activity begin.
When that is over dinner, and snack is served, and bed times are assigned.

The hardest part of this job, is not getting emotionally attached.
The most enjoyable part of this job, is watching all the smiles on the clients faces when they achieve their goals.
Pros
Working With The Kids
Cons
Only One Day Off
Stay away!!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJuly 16, 2015
The company allows harassment. Human resources department does nothing to help employees. Raises are very low, if given at all. The clients are only dollar signs to management. Management is never around and when they are, they do next to nothing. Overall this company is terrible.
Not family Oriented
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAMay 25, 2015
I have three children that I spend quality time with. This job pretty much took over my life. I explained when I first started that I couldn't do overnight stays and couldn't do weekends due to the fact that my kids would be home and I needed to be there with them. They didn't care about that. They put me on overnight stays and tried making me do doubles.
Pros
Helping other people
Cons
Not family oriented or even employee oriented.
Was a good place to start
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAApril 27, 2015
I learned a lot working here, and I found out to be able to advance to a higher position within this company I would have to continue with my education.
Would not reccomend
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Scranton paFebruary 22, 2015
If you want to give up your life for virtually no money...and work 24/7....then this is the place for you. Poor management all the way down.....I am looking for new employment as this job has sucked the life out of me. They do not value who they have and look to promote from outside the agency. Unless you have your bachelors your stuck in one position at bs pay. They do not count years of experience and do not care what you bring to the table if you don't have a degree.
Pros
Cons
working all the time
not worth the time or effort
DSP (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 2, 2014
There was absolutely no set schedule, it was all over the place all the time. Many rules and regulations were looked past for certain persons and applied to others in a non regulatory way. Any injury you incur is your fault no matter what happened i.e if a consumer punches you in the face and breaks your nose it was your fault for being in the way of that consumer.
Pros
free lunches, can watch tv at work
Cons
no breaks if you arent a smoker, horrible scheduling conflicts, very little approved time off

2.8