Keystone Community Resources Employee Reviews

Rewarding
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Roaring Brook, PAAugust 7, 2017
Management will work hard to correct work related issues. A fair, friendly, work environment. Hard to leave you fall in love with clients.
Many long term friendly loyal employees.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Advancement
Opportunity to work with kids in need
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 15, 2017
Challenging place to work with kids with behavioral issues and managing through that and partnering with others in their care team. As well as working with the community and schools to ensure the kids receive a well balanced day.
Pros
Making a difference in another's life
Cons
budget limitations
demanding job but worth it
Direct Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 3, 2017
Hardest part about this job is when you are single staffed and have to run the entire house, and take care of the clients. Will keep you constantly on your feet, but overall decent job. Best part of this job is feeling a sense of fulfillment after providing care for the clients.
Great Job for A Learning Experience
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAMay 24, 2017
The company is missing just one objective and that is a little bit of compassion for their employees especially when unpredictable situations occur!!!
Pros
free lunch, breakfast, dinner; discounts on things that will help an employee out if needed.
Cons
Not understanding things that are not predicted in life, things just occur
Good Work, Good People
Manager / Staff (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAMay 14, 2017
Good Job. Lots of hours. lots of opportunities. I started as a lead staff and work into a manager position within 6 months. Quality work leads to good opportuiniites and hard work leads to good pay checks.
Great place to work, learn about others but more importantly yourself.
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAApril 4, 2017
I've had multiple positions while with Keystone and as long as you're willing to put the time and effort in the sky is the limit. :) . Wonderful company.
Pros
You get paid to go on activites. (Movies, beach, amusent parks)
Cons
Can be exhausting (but what job cant be)
very rewarding job to have helping people with disabilities
Direct Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAMarch 29, 2017
Typical day would be picking up residents from work coming home and starting dinner, getting everyone showered and fed, starting laundry and cleaning up after dinner. depending on the day they would either relax for the night or go out where ever they would like to go. What I've learned is putting others needs before your own more than I already do. this job wasn't just a paycheck to me, it was to make a difference it the residents lives. The hardest part about this job is the long hours due to short staffing and being away from my family and people calling off and you have no choice but to stay and cover the shift. sometimes I would miss holidays with my children as well. the most enjoyable part was to see the improvement and impact you have on the residents. the bond with them and co workers you work very well with made the job enjoyable.
Pros
bonuses, residents
Cons
time away from famlily, bad raises
Great for advancement
Residential Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAMarch 5, 2017
Great place for growth, typical day at work is joyful. As a supervisor you would want for your staff to come to work and enjoy being there, rather than them not wanting to work for you. I strive to make the workplace enjoyable meanwhile, maintaining strict expectations.
Cons
pay
Pays well
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 21, 2017
If you need work they will help you. Make sure you have a drivers license and reliable transportation. This is a hands on job and is not always easy but you will make a bond with your client/clients and will either love or hate it.
Great job i learned alot
Ddp/dsp (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PA. 18505January 19, 2017
I worked all over the building. And it was a great experience working with the nurses and the patients never a dull moment between a military Veteran Center
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
Good parking and great break room
i have nothing nice to say about Keystone community resources.
Direct Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJanuary 17, 2017
I worked very hard for the company for 26 long years. I felt as though no matter how many hours and how much care I gave to the individuals.....the Company itself only cared about them and not the care givers. I worked over time every week and was deeply bonded with the individuals I cared for daily.....the most enjoyable part of my job was fulfilling their individual needs and putting smiles on their faces.
Cons
pay low
Top Notch!!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 29, 2016
I would need more than ten sets of hands to count the people I know personally who are 100% committed to the individuals they provide services to and they do it well. Do we have problems? Sure we do but it is no different than every other Human Services Agency out there. Everything we do revolves around people – consumers, staff, consumers families and friends, funding agencies, etc. The more people the more issues. I am more than a DSP but at the core of it all we are all DSP’s and I do work in the homes 16 hrs. a week – and these are my favorite hours of the week! I love the consumers I work with, I like my coworkers and I don't mind the hours and can usually work with what the give me since I know it is for the consumer's needs to be met. We are working with human beings and they get sick, have emergencies, behavioral concerns and they need staff with them. If you work in the residential programs there are very few opportunities for set schedules and I think the reason is obvious. I've worked with a lot of people who should never have taken the job because all they want to do is "Babysit" and that is not the job. They come in, they don't seem to like people, they sit in front of the TV and pull out their phones and then get mad when you tell them to put their phone away and get up and work. There is always something that needs to be done. Keystone provides 2 weeks of orientation training so I don't know how anyone can say they get no training. Keystone has a strong policy on cell phones/electronics/ social media and new employees can’t seem to grasp that. You can’t  more... get on Facebook when you are on the clock and talk about the people you are working with. When you are off the clock you can’t talk about people you work with by name (consumers or staff) and expect to keep working here. These people need to go somewhere else, I want to work with people who care about our consumers as much as I do. Keystone does get rid of people who blatantly abuse or neglect individuals. If people report to their manager who does nothing then shame on them for not going to the next level to ensure the health and safety of the people they are caring for. Keystone does care for their consumers and employees and they do whatever they can to show it. This economy is tough for everyone right now, including Keystone. I would hate to see their water and electric bills. Think about that before you talk about how much money they are bringing in for consumers. Utilities, mortgages, vehicles and gas, groceries, taxes, etc. There has to be business management to stay within a budget the same way I do to manage my own home. The bad reviews below really hurt me to read because I think Keystone is a top notch agency!!  less
Pros
Rewarding work - great consumers, great coworkers, great agency!
Cons
Hours are tough at times but - it"s the job!!
Terrible company
Direct service professional (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJuly 25, 2016
Management has pets. Those people can do no wrong...then the rest will b written up for little things until u are crying on your way home. Or on ur way in. Avoid this company they have a high turnover for a reason
Pros
Clients
Cons
Everything else
Horrible Chain of Command ***Beware***
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 19, 2016
I was a DSP. This company, management, and employees treat the consumers with disrespect. It's terrible. Please stay away.
Pros
The consumers
Cons
Management, Pay, Hours
Please don't consider this company!
DSP (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 19, 2016
I am now an ex-employee at Keystone. I worked here for 5 full years. During that time, I have been .... talked down to, written up for something someone else did, made fun of behind my back, witnessed verbal and emotional abuse from other staff to the consumers, fought with higher ups, and on my days off I had no choice but to turn my phone off because 9 out of 10 times they would try to call me in, either because the same staff called off again or because they tried to make me cover houses I had never even been to. This company is known for literally hiring anyone off the street and assuming that they now own their soul. The lowest people on the food chain are the dsp's, and they are expected to be mini managers. dsp's have to be on call 24/7 otherwise management thinks they aren't reliable or hardworking. At one point, I was pulling 60 plus hours A week and they still didn't think that was enough! My main issue with this company was that certain staff got away with everything and others would be demonized for the littlest things. One of my managers was la downright awful employee and he was caught signing himself in even though he wasn't working, forging signatures on paperwork, etc. and yet they promoted him even after all of that. And then some other DSP's I worked with would consistently show up late and no one ever cared. I worked the over nights, and I couldnt even tell you how many times I was either called in because the other over night didn't show up at all, OR I had to stay late the next morning because the 7AM weekend staff never showed up to relieve me.  more... It happened tons of times throughout the entire 5 years and at every house I've worked at. No one respects this job, and the FEW who do, are severely mistreated. The nursing department is a joke. I've taken consumers to them a few times BECAUSE IT WAS MY JOB to take them and then the nurses either... give attitude because you disrupted their gossip, yell at you for bringing them in because they don't want to handle it, OR send you to a real doctor because they don't know what to do. I brought a consumer in once because her ears were clogged with wax and all I wanted was for the nurse to clean her ears. That's it. They nurse had a freakout because I brought her there in the first place and then she made me make a dr appointment with the ear specialist. REALLY?! Seriously this company is a joke. They mean well by the consumers, that's the only positive thing I have to say. I've worked at St. Joes and it was completely terrible compared to Keystone however Keystone treats their employees terribly. It even got to the point where no one in the main offices would answer their phones when I needed something so I had to drive up there myself and just show up at the desk of the person I needed and then they would act all shocked that I was there, even after reminding them several times about my many phone calls. And don't get me started about our day programs .....  less
Pros
Taking care of consumers
Cons
Everything else
Absolute Nightmare
DSP, Program Manager, Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scranton PAJune 10, 2016
I worked for Keystone Community Resources for 6 years, one of which I was a manager. That one year, was the worst year of my life. I had ZERO training, I was basically told "here are your keys, good luck" and when I reached out to a fellow manager for guidance, we both got in trouble. When I took vacation, I would return to a massive write up, for taking a vacation. Being on call 24/7/365 is not reasonable, and before you know it, you are in the group home more than your actual home.

Being a DSP is not a walk in the park either. This company does not care about its employees, and sees them as nothing but numbers and bodies. At one point in my career at Keystone Community Resources, I was working 90+ hours a week, with my only time to myself was during the hours the consumers were at day program. This leaves little time to sleep, bathe or take care of yourself in anyway, physically or mentally.

This company will hire anybody off of the street, but will not take care of the quality employees that it already has.

I was also a PER DIEM DSP at one point during my career, and they would never schedule me for hours, but the commercials are constantly playing that they're hiring. When I inquired why I wasn't being scheduled, I was told that it was my responsibility to contact different managers to "find" hours. Uhm, no.

Leaving this company was the best thing I've ever done. I lost my entire early 20's being a slave, and I would STRONGLY recommend finding employment ANYWHERE else. This place will suck you dry. I have had fellow co-workers who had to quit or take
  more... FMLA just from exhaustion, anxiety and stress.

Do your mental health a favor, and look elsewhere.
Pros
the consumers
Cons
literally. everything. else.
Stressful with minimal benefits
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJune 8, 2016
Working with the consumers is by far the best part of this job, they can make you smile on the worst day. The company on the other hand could use some changes. The schedules are a huge drawback, being on call 24/7/365 including vacations (you find someone to cover for you, but then your Coordinator will call you anyway) is extraordinarily unfair and the upper management needs to get their heads out of the clouds and remember the purpose for the agency. The consumers have become numbers and the employees are expected to give their lives up for the needs of the agency. The benefits are decent, PTO is a perk, but if you use it-you will be disciplined. Human Resources is helpful to a point, but nothing will stay confidential and everyone will know what you stated in a meeting. This is a good entry level position, but don't expect much advancement unless you know someone in the main office.
Pros
Consumers
Cons
Scheduling, management, on call with no rotation, no support, no leadership.
another awful organization taking advantage of IDD
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 2, 2016
applying for a job at keystone is like playing the lottery. everything depends on what house you're dropped in and if your coworkers and superiors are competent. (the clients are great. some may be challenging but if you actually work with the IDD because you enjoy them you won't have problems.) since keystone hires anyone right off the street more than half of the DSPs are only there for money. they don't care about the clients, nor do they take pride in what they're doing. it's just a paycheck. keystone let this happen by focusing more on expanding than taking care of what they already have/had. it's open more houses! bring in more clients! there are so many clients that have been there 20+ years and just get shuffled around from house to house. most are labeled as pathological liars so when incompetent staff screw up and the clients report them no one believes the clients because duh! they're pathological liars. don't bother reporting concerns (like staff flushing meds, leaving clients in bed in their diapers weekend mornings, not taking them anywhere in the community) to your house manager or anyone else inside of the company. they sweep it under the rug, push you to another house, and eventually get you to quit one way or another.

plus, it's a monopoly. keystone residents go to keystone day programs. take a look at HCSIS and see just how much money keystone makes off the consumers. they pay what? $11 to start? (I never saw a raise.) they offer horrible health insurance to employees. it's all laughable considering the hundreds of thousands they make a day off the clients
  more... in the form of state and federal funding (aka your tax dollars)and they're the ones who suffer the most. to keystone clients are just dollar signs and you're just a baby sitter.  less
Run Away
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clark summitJune 1, 2016
I rather clean toilets then work for this company. I can write a list of all the reasons not to work here but I dont have that kind of time. Warning to job searchers, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. You will save yourself lots of stress and anguish.
Pros
Non
Cons
Worse company I ever worked for
Management is amazing, pay is not what it should be
Day Program Professional (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAMarch 31, 2016
Oversee's the daily function of young adults with dual diagnosed mental health/ mental disabilities. As a DSS we are to make sure they are able to function with everyday task. Must keep data on behavioral health concerns and daily function charts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Keystone Community Resources. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4