Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Kiawah Island Golf Resort Employer Reviews

Reservation Agent (Former Employee), Kiawah Island, SCNovember 4, 2014
Pros: great staff to work with, beautiful work place, positivity, great benefits
Cons: hard to advance/promotions not readily available
I loved working for Kiawah Island Golf Resort, I would never have left except I had a baby and made the decision to stay at home until she was older. I learned a lot about customer service, teamwork, and about computer programs such as Excel, Visual One, Open Activity, and other hospitality based programs. My coworkers were great, management went out of their way to help their employees and were great with the customers as well.
Five Star resort where customer service is the resort wide focus, work indoors and outdoors planning events for guests
Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee), Kiawah Island, South CarolinaOctober 7, 2014
Pros: people, tips, benefits, networking, beautiful location, atmosphere & environment
Cons: long drive
In the summer most days are spent supervising those who I have hired to work hands on with our guests of all ages who attend daily/weekly events. Hours vary depending on events that we hold. In the off-season (fall/winter) my days are spent planning and budgeting for the next year as well as organizing special private functions for our guests.
This position has helped me to greatly improve my customer service approach as well as my management style. I was able to hire and manage 17 employees this summer and it was a very educational and enjoyable experience.
My manager has been great and held my position before she moved up as manager. She had a very different approach to our events and the organization and has been very open and supportive to the changes I have made.
Co-Workers are my favorite aspect of my position. All of those who I managed as well as those who have the same level position as I get along great and have been able to enjoy work and push revenue this past summer.
The most difficult part of the job is the clientele changes each week. Our guests are awesome and I see them several times a week if not several times a day and am able to bond with them. Most guests stay for a week at a time and each week those you have bonded with leave and the relationship building starts all over again.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many different people from all over the world who visit. They come with their families to enjoy a week a of relaxation and making an impression on them, their spouses and children is awesome.
Great ambience, beautiful resort,luxury
Guest Check-In/Snack Shop Attendant/Bartender (Former Employee), Charleston, SCSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: unbeatable views, great clientele, great fellow employees
Cons: long commute, bad weather affected business
Start work at 7 am. Set up registers, stock, prepare food for golf course, stock beverage cart, read and learn about the corporate events, set up lunches and events, deal with very high-end clientele, be very familiar with products sold and the pricing. Be responsible for cash transactions and credit card transaction. Finish around 6pm on a typical day and stop in at managers office to drop off all transactions and keys. The most enjoyable was the level of service needed to be provided and surpassing those customers needs and wants. Hardest part was the commute to and from work.
Great place to gain experience and knowledge of working at 5 star resort.
Recreation Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Kiawah Island, South CarolinaAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great employee discounts on recreation activities.
Cons: scheduling/not enough employees for my position
A typical day at my job would include the opening/ closing duties of the scheduled shift i.e. getting bike rentals set up, changing sponsorship flyers, checking messages/emails and making sure the facility is organized and clean for regular business hours. I've learned so much coming into this job, especially dealing with face-to-face sales and guests relationships. Maintaining the image of a 5-star resort is in my hands because my job is being in charge of all recreational activities. (kayaking, nature walks, bike tours, classroom programs, motorboat tours, etc.) Anything that one would absolutely love to do on vacation. It is my job to sell it and make sure they enjoy it! My co-workers are great. always there to answer each other questions and solve problems, as well as the management. The director herself is always reachable and willing to take on any duty that comes upon the place of work. The hardest part of my job which eventually becomes the easiest is making every situation end positive. The facility in which I work is the hub of all recreational reservations. We deal with the guests one on one so it makes interesting as to which voiced opinions we get daily. Making sure the customers are happy and content with the activities they have chosen to participate in is reflected in our surveys and our secret shoppers evaluations. Even though it is an intense environment to work in, it has taught me patience and how to solve certain situations in a way that benefits both the guest and the resort. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of my dad is seeing the repeat guest visit our facility and see the excitement and hear the talk about how much fun they are having. It is a great feeling to know that we are the ones providing them with activities that every beach vacationers should experience.
Not that great.
Assistant Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee), Kiawah Island, SCMarch 29, 2014
Pros: beautiful place, several nonmonetary employee incentives (cheap golf, nature tours, etc.)
Cons: low pay, a subpar management structure, great lack of communication
The island is beautiful, but the management and communication structure is in disarray. Accountability of management lacks greatly. I thinks it mostly due to the geographical layout of the resort. It's a great place with very high earning potential for those working in tip based positions, otherwise expect to accept a low pay rate in exchange for the "privilege" of working on a pristine island.
Good place for Those without Families
Manager (Current Employee), IslandMarch 5, 2014
Most of upper management does not prioritize or have kids, so to have kids is a difficult venture. Hard working Individuals can move up fast , especially if you start in the areas of Front Desk. Long drive.
I enjoy a new day every day, working for and with different people
Associate (Current Employee), Charleston, SCFebruary 25, 2014
I meet groups of people every single day. They could be from Georgia, they could be from Russia. If I could pick the most important thing Iv'e learned throughout the years, every day I will meet someone different. My management after school has actually been myself. Iv'e alway's been in customer service, it's my responsibility to make people enjoy their experience. My co-workers have always been my friends. There isn't a hard part of my job, I truly enjoy meeting new people every day, hour... whatever the case may be. That would be the most enjoyable part of every job in the customer service industry Iv'e always worked in. That is the reason Iv'e always done it. While attaining my degree at the College of Charleston I didn't have to work, but I did.
wonderful work invironment great managers to work with
server (Former Employee), south carolinaJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: lunch break
Cons: half hour break is fine but will work if needed
I remember this special day was on a Tuesday I went to work after reaching the hour mark for me to go home one of our guest came to me say he wanted to do something nice for is girlfriend so we talk about it when I found out what it was he wanted to get engage so we pick the location on the beach and make it possible, what I have learn from that is going above and beyond to make the guest happy my co-works are the best they make me feel so welcome to the family for the benefit of the guest and the company and the most challenging job of my was when I was at banquet serving breakfast in the morning and a guest came to me asking for a bottle of alcohol because he was going to golf and he needed it for is trip to celebrate after the game i told my supervisor about it and we got the storeroom to open and he was so happy
A beautiful location that enhanced the Southern atmosphere.
Server (Former Employee), Kiawah Island, SCJanuary 1, 2014
The Kiawah Island Resort was a lovely place to work. I learned so much about the food preparation and wine. They also focused on after dinner cocktails and ports. The guests who vacationed there were very enjoyable and those who lived there and were members of Kiawah Island's Governors Club kept the dining room busy year round. The dining room is just behind the tenth hole of one of 5 golf courses located on the Island. Just under a mile away is the famous Ocean Course. The South Carolina heat made service on the veranda difficult in the summer. Management provided shade and air conditioning in the clubhouse for our comfort and that helped a great deal.
Prestigious, Elegant, High Class
Social Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 27, 2013
One of the most highly rated resorts in the USA. The most highly trained and professional staff within the industry. Some of the best golf courses in the world.
Great Place to Work
Hostess (Current Employee), Kiawah Island, SCSeptember 30, 2012
Great employee benefits and there is a lot of room for advancement
Great and exciting place to work
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee), Kiawah Island, SCSeptember 18, 2012
On a typical day I prepped for both hot and cold dishes. I would either be placed on the garde manger station or the fry station for the service portion of my shift. On the Garde Manger station i was responsible for salads, desserts, cold apps and app specials. On Fry i was responsible for cooking fried and baked items. The management offered me many opportunities to learn new dishes and to advance my skills. The hardest part of my job was just making sure all my prep was done for service and making sure i had enough for the night without having too much leftover. I enjoyed every aspect of my job. I love the fast pace of the restrant world.
Joy
Communications Agent (Current Employee), Kiawah Island, SCSeptember 5, 2012
Pros: close to home and school
Cons: short lunch, no breaks
The Sanctuary Hotel is beautiful, to say the least. There are good days and there are bad days, as is life.
I enjoy assisting people and providing them with helpful and useful information that will make their stay run smoothly.
"Groups" of fun
Communications Agent (Current Employee), Kiawah Island, SCJune 27, 2012
Cons: half hour lunches, no breaks in between, no steady hours.
A typical day at the Sanctuary Hotel includes alot of running around, extrememly busy phones, laundry going in and out, late check outs, early check ins, and so on. The best days are when all departments are working together, helping each other out.