Job Description: Finance Director
This position, reporting to the Executive Director, is accountable for leading the Finance team in managing Kids’ Country’s financial and accounting policies, systems and processes, tax and regulatory requirements, systems and processes and controls and ongoing financial reporting. The Finance Director provides leadership to the Finance Team, specifically the Senior Accountant and the Accounting Assistant. Those duties include but are not limited to the following job responsibilities.
Strategic Financial Planning
- Understand business model including opportunities and threats. Formulate ideas, policy changes or programs to address any weaknesses.
- Analyze fee structure, including an analysis of competitors, basis to ensure long term sustainability.
- Monitor business performance and take steps to improve the performance of the organization.
- Ensure the finance team delivers the highest standard of teamwork and customer service.
- Ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals.
- Develop finance and accounting team goals that are fully aligned with the organization’s goals.
- Provide coaching, guidance and support, set professional development goals to assist employees to reach their full potential through the performance management process.
Accounting, Financial Systems and Financial Controls
- Responsible for the financial accounting systems of the organization.
- Assist in the completion of the External Audit.
- Prepare the financial section of the annual report.
- Oversee the Cash Management function, including banking relationships.
- Ensure the organization is in compliance with all internal policies and relevant regulations and ensure filings are completed in a timely manner.
- Oversee the continuous improvement of accounting and financial processes and the development of the team with the goal to achieve best practices and optimal output.
- Maintains the General Ledger and reconciles the following accounts: Depreciation, Fixed Assets, Workers’ Compensation and Liability Insurance, Scholarship Fund, Fund Raising Accounts, Payroll, Vacation & Sick Accrual.
- Complete month-end closing and appropriate journal entries.
Cash and Risk Management
- Responsible for the management of the organization’s Insurance and Risk Management program.
- Oversee the annual insurance renewal process and ensure appropriate coverage is maintained at all times.
- Manage ongoing banking relationships for maximum efficiency.
- Develop cash flow forecasting and maintain a long term cash forecast.
- Responsible for Financial Management Reporting for the organization.
- Develop and prepare a monthly Management Reporting Package.
- Present monthly and year-to-date financials with accompanying analysis of results
- Conduct ad hoc financial analysis as required
Budgeting and Financial Modeling
- Lead the annual budgeting process.
- Oversee budgets and ensure compliance.
- Lead the financial modeling and analysis to support the development of long term strategic initiatives and business plans.
Special Projects as assigned by the Executive Director
Exceptional customer service skills
Ability to lead complex projects through to an end point
An individual who seizes opportunities and takes initiative
Relationship building and rapport
Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
Exceptional Interpersonal skills
Ability to prioritize effectively
Ability to work within diverse populations
Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within time constraints
Required Knowledge, Education and Experience
Bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field
Masters degree preferred
Five (5) or more years of experience in Finance field
At least two (2) years of supervisory experience
Knowledge of compliance regulations for organizations working within the not-for-profit sector
Demonstrated experience with management of budgets in excess of $5MM
Knowledge of Financial, GAAP and ERP systems
Proficient in Microsoft Office software
Kids' Country is an "at-will" organization.