Kids In Distress Employee Reviews

A place that truly cares about children
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLJanuary 23, 2017
An agency that does a great job of working with a difficult group of children and families. People do a great job with the children. There is a great chance for advancement in this company. Employees do many things together in their free time.
Pros
The agency really cares about children
Cons
Too many internal reports
One of the best positions I've had when it comes to team work
Adoption Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 21, 2016
The team I joined was fantastic. We all got along. There was a lot of staff building and team work. Being at adoption counselor was one of the most fulfilling jobs I've had.
Pros
Completing families
Cons
Low pay
Excellent
Child & Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLJanuary 28, 2017
Being part of Kids in Distress has truly been a blessing. I enjoy working with this agency and admire my supervisors being being true leaders.
Great Company, Great Foster Care Program
Family Support and Licensing (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLJune 27, 2015
Kids in Distress is a good company to work for, although being part of their satellite location has its challenges such as not having as much contact with the programs in the main location. The job within the foster care program is a fantastic opportunity!
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Salary
Giving Children all of my attention
KITES Resident camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Oakland park,flOctober 15, 2014
Managing and directing children during their summer camp. Making sure they had a secure environment , healthy meals, and all activities where appropriate for the age group. Working as a team was the best part.I enjoyed giving these children all of my love and attention as there was lack of this at home .The hardest part of my job was seeing these kids having to stay there ,and not having a family to go home to.
Pros
flexible schedules, different job sites
Cons
healthcare
Wonderful agency
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 7, 2014
This company has a wonderful mission statement and does an excellent job providing services to the community. This position allows for flexibility and requires you to work independently and able to create weekly schedule and meet requirements with minimal supervision. You have to be highly organized and possess great time management skills. There is room for lateral movement. This is a rewarding position. Salary is somewhat competitive with similar organizations.
Pros
rewarding, friendly environment
Cons
not a lot f room for growth
I absolutely loved working at Kids In Distress, the children has a special place in my heart.
House Mother (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 27, 2013
A typical day at work was always easy for me working at night but I never get home until 5pm because they knew I loved working with the infants as well. Management was always on point with everything. My co-workers were very caddy. The hardest part of the day was leaving the children, the most enjoyable part was watching them flourish.
Pros
Were taking free classes and getting paid for them. The best health care, 401k IRA.
Cons
I hurt myself during sports day.
Excellent source of supervision for graduate students
Internship (Former Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLApril 18, 2013
Provided counseling services to community members. Co-facilitated therapeuticinterventions in the homes (CBT and Solution-Focused). Conducted biopsychosocial assessments, counseling services, intakes, diagnoses, weekly progress notes, and master treatment plans to children and families in the community. Conducted trainings for master level clinicians and parents.
Pros
supportive organization
Cons
n/a
Very Enjoyable Field of work
Volunteer Packager (Former Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLMay 25, 2014
Everyday at Kids and distress was enjoyable, even though I just volunteered as a Packager. I didn't learn that much, but it did teach me how to manage equipment and to always keep my work area in mint condition. My Co-workers was extremely helpful and always pointed me in the right direction. There was no hard part of this job, nothing is never truly hard as long as you enjoy it. I enjoyed every bit of the volunteered service.
great place
Full Time Child and Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLMarch 13, 2013
Great place to work. Nice respectful group of employees. Great hands on learning experience. Supervisors are supportive as well which is a plus! The hardest part is working in the field and keeping up with paperwork so time management is needed.
Pros
trainings right on the campus. flexible schedule
Cons
sometimes having to work later into the evening.
Great non profit organization and helps others in need.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLMarch 25, 2013
I truly enjoyed working for the above company. Working with others in need of support is a passion of mine. While working there you will encounter serious issues with many different diversities in race and they will go beyond measures to help them.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
great insurance support
Nice place but difficult to advance
executive (Former Employee) –  Oakland Park, FLJuly 1, 2015
The environment of the workplace in nice. Micromanagement a must. Requirement beyond realistic achievements. Supervisors have little concern for worker just numbers and personal gain.
Pros
work from home at times.
Cons
compensation and time away from family.
Educational Practices to the test!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wilton ManorsNovember 10, 2013
In my personal calender, I had only maybe three of four days the Teacher's full staff show up for work in less than two months.Meaning that some teachers like not show up for work on Mondays or Fridays and if they decide to come they leave in the middle of the day with a careless excuse. Leaving their reponsability with other teachers and stressing the other more responsable staff.
I did not learned or improved my skills as a teacher.
Management lack of leadership skills, they like run meetings with intimidation and threat to the staff. They are use to deal with non-professional teachers. They seem not to have any plan, just pass through the day! My main concern is that most parents did not know or care what is going on in daily basis.
Seen children being toss from classroom to classroom like a sack of potatoes.
I did not enjoy any part of it, it was really stressfull.
Pros
They have worderfull space, well taking care facilities.
Cons
Non-professional environment
Great Place to Work!
Development Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 16, 2014
This organization is a Fort Lauderdale institution serving at-risk youth and families. It is a great place to work! I would recommend anyone interested in making a difference in the world to join the company.
Comprehensive family strengthening and children services provider in South Florida
Chief Executive Officer/President (Former Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLMay 31, 2012
Agency has terrific qualty programs with a sound supporting foundation and strong brand in the local community.
Did not feel comfortable working at Kids in Distress
PRE-SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Ft. LauderdaleSeptember 28, 2014
The staff at the time of my employment was very hostile and everyone with against each other,
Pros
Got my foot wet in the American job market
Making a Difference
Family Support Worker I (Former Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLJune 24, 2014
Working in this place was a life changing experience as we helped moms have an alternative view on life and motherhood. Loved working with these moms and babies.
"Fake Professional Environment"
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wilton Manors, FLJanuary 23, 2014
They hire tons of people who aren't certified or have only 45 hours of training, so that they can merely use them as bodies to maintain ratios.
You will apply for a certain position, interview for that position, and be hired with the appropriate job title, but once you finally start you will not work that position at all. You will be used anywhere and everywhere, regardless of your comfort level and career desires.
Long, draining hours and they changed the schedule frecuently, hardly cover employees during lunch hours, you have no choice and have to stay inside the classrooms.
Parents are always aggravated about their children being thrown into all different classrooms with different teachers every day.

Advice to Senior Management – Don't lie to your new employees and expect them to stick around once they realize they are being used to fill ratios. Imagine if you were hired to be a doctor, but once on your first day your boss told you you are actually going to be a plumber? It is extremely unethical to hire someone for a particular position, have them go through a grueling amount of computer-based training and paper work, only to have them do a different job that they didn't sign up for. THIS, not the low pay, is why you have such a high turnover.

Follow advise of Quality Rating Specialist and do not think that you know it all! What you are trying to invent is already out there for you to learn.
Pros
Very spacious facilities
Cons
Administration very little knowledge in Early Childhood Education

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kids In Distress. Our community is ready to answer.