KidsPeace

KidsPeace United States Employee Reviews

A great field to be apart of
Foster Parent (Former Employee), Kingston, NYApril 21, 2015
Pros: Always work to do
Cons: Children are difficult at times and unhappy.
The opportunity of working with children has been a blessing. It is always rewarding when you can give back to your community.

As a caregiver, I did just that. I cared a lot and gave in abundance of my time.

Made sure the children were fed and clean.

Management has always been there when ever you needed them and also very understanding when challenges would arise.

Co workers stuck together on many things. Helping one another out or filling in to help another

The hardest part for me was knowing that they were not permanent and you have to see them leave.

What I enjoyed most, was to be able to be an example and mentor to children who had to be in my home for what ever reason. Our children are not responsible for the situation they are in. It is so nice just to be nice to whom ever.
Great entry level position.
Mental Health Technician II (Current Employee), Orfield, PaApril 14, 2015
Throughout this job you will be exposed to many different cultures and age groups. The children have a wide range of mental and emotional issues that an individual must be prepared for.
Do Not Work Here
Late Night Child Care Worker (Former Employee), Bowdon, GAApril 9, 2015
Pros: None
There is nothing good about this place. You will be over worked, underpaid & unappreciated. You will never get a raise. But you will be expected to work understaffed, every weekend and every holiday. Leadership as they like to be called is a joke. They have no compassion for you. They just want bodies. Do not work here. Worst job I ever had.
Fine in the right environment, poor pay
Mental Health Technician III (Former Employee), Orefield, PAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: good co-workers, make a difference, sometimes stress-free
Cons: poor pay, poor benefits, no room for advancement, not always good co-workers
Working here is largely dependent on where you get placed, as each unit functions entirely differently and deals with different sort of children. I was lucky enough to get placed on a house that was very well organized and worked together. I got to do a lot of good during my time and it was really rewarding. Not all houses had this same experience. However, compensation/benefits/advancement are all non-existent. Expect to spend years at the company before you advance or get a real raise.
Productive work enviornment, Great opportunities to move up in the company!
Youth Care Worker II (Current Employee), Bethlehem, PAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: free lunches, paid lunch break, flexible schedule.
Cons: work weekends.
Great Company! Recommend everyone who is interested in social services to join the team in our efforts to give Hope, Help, Healing to childern and families in the community.
"Stepping Stone"
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee), Temple, PAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: high-stress environment, poor communication from management
Okay job...but not really something you'd want to make a career out of. Low wages, high-stress, little room for advancement...
KidsPeace
Teacher (Former Employee), Temple, PAJanuary 27, 2015
My last review was for KidsPeace. This is what inspired my book, Little Heroes.
A Day in Kidspeace
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee), Bethlehem, PAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: gain experience, develop skills, meet new people
Cons: very short breaks and sometimes none
Waking up clients to get ready for school, documenting the location of clients,making sure all documentation is completed correctly, filing paperwork, search the unit for safety, maintain unit clean and sanitized, prepare for admissions and discharges, assist with other departments if needed.
One of the worst places if you are an ethical individual...
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee), Bethlehem, PANovember 29, 2014
Pros: excellent health care benefit.
Cons: works one to death...
I have worked at KidsPeace on two separate occasions. I will discuss the second. I was hired as a Clinical Supervisor. During this period of time, I was supervised by an individual who had NO degree in mental health and NO possibility for licensure. This individual is still with KidsPeace. Another frustrating aspect of working there was being witness to significant double speak (carry out our policies and procedures/don't upset the parents of our clients). Very sad. Fortunately, I did have a team of mostly competent clinicians and a few who were stellar. There were even one or two who rarely followed policy and were allowed to stay on by my supervisors. I was provided little guidance in my role. However, when something occurred that was unsatisfactory to management (for whatever reason), management didn't offer guidance. The most difficult part of the position was working toward positive change of any kind in the workplace and for the clients. The bureaucratic nature of KidsPeace does not allow for an "out of the box" thinker who was actually able to take the perspective of others and who was working to make the lives of all concerned better. Until KidsPeace focuses on the education, experience, credentials, and quality of their employees, as opposed to the seniority of their employees, they will continue to be a mediocre (at best) mental health provider.
Job is not for everyone.
Mental Health Technician II (Former Employee), PANovember 28, 2014
Pros: free food. staff is friendly
Cons: no breaks. pay for your own uniform. disorganized company. violent clients that often assault staff.
It takes a certain type of personality to work there and you have to go into work on high alert. The clients are unpredictable and violent at times. The training is lacking and management is poor. The whole company is very disorganized, and it is frustrating to staff.
Staff obtain free meals, which is nice, but it is the same food that is served to the clients and is often cold, bland, or plain strange looking. Staff have to pay for their own uniform and there is no uniform allowance. Turn around time is high because of the long hours and burn out on high acuity units. Also, breaks are rare and payroll deducts a half hour from your day automatically for your break.
Emotionally draining but rewarding work environment
RN Supervisor (Current Employee), Orefield, PaNovember 2, 2014
Pros: the ability to build positive relationships with youth, and then to teach them about mental health disorderrs, medications and hope for a brighter future.
Cons: lack of supportive nursing management; inconsistent nursing practices and company policies, company does not assist with cost of professional seminars.
A typical day can start out feeling organized but turns chaotic with many unpredictable situations. Working at KidsPeace has helped me accept and meet these kids right where they are. While it is true that many of them have major behavior issues and lack social skills, the sad thing is, it's not their fault, but rather in a majority of cases it's the only thing they know as a result of poor or absent parenting. I have much respect for upper management but nursing management is nearly non-existent.Really nice people but they are rarely to be seen so are not able to be supportive or a resource in anyway. There is essentially no nursing orientation so with only one nurse per unit, you're on your own. They do not appreciate it when you go the extra mile and do not recognize a few very young nurses here who lack integrity and professionalism but rather are here simply for a paycheck and to cause trouble. Pay is great for graduate nurses but is not any better for experienced nurses.Except as mentioned already. coworkers from all departments create a bond with common goals and are very pleasant. The hardest part of the job is seeing that the system and available resources for these kids in desperate need of guidance really stinks.The most enjoyable part however is developing a trusting relationship with the kids and sometimes family and having honest communication while settings goals for the future.
fun workplace
Assistant House Manager (Current Employee), orefield, paOctober 23, 2014
playing games with and teaching clients about life.
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Kidspeace: personally challenging, and life changing work.
Direct Care Technician IV (Current Employee), Ellsworth, MEOctober 14, 2014
Pros: you do get good benefits, and meals are free. the view at graham lake is spectacular at sunset!
Cons: schedule, very intensive childcare at times
Kidspeace New England is a residential treatment facility and special needs school that works with young people who have wide-ranging behavioral and physical disabilities. There is a large ASD program that works with children with Autism over a broad scale.

A typical day for me is to arrive at 2pm, check employee schedules, any communication from previous shifts, check with case management to verify any appointments for clients, ascertain whether we will have behavioral issues with a client, etc. I then plan the shift accordingly taking into account any deviations in routines that may interfere. Once clients arrive from school my team and I navigate them through group and individual schedules in an effort to teach them basic living, and social skills. Doing chores, attending group meetings, and just plain getting along with peers takes up the biggest part of my job. Also I am a team mentor and the assistant to the Treatment Team Supervisor. It is my job to model for my team the way to be an effective direct care technician. It is not unusual for me to attend several meetings a week. Staff meetings on Wednesday to begin my week, followed by Case Reviews on Thursday, and Individual Treatment Team meetings for clients are typically early in the morning on any given day of the week.

I have learned a great deal about myself there. You initially start this job wanted to make a difference for the kids. You end up learning that you did not have nearly enough patience, sympathy, or empathy for your fellow man. I have learned to stay calm in tense situations, to meet deadlines in a – more... timely manner. I have learned to follow and more importantly, how to lead in a way that causes people to want to follow you. I would say that my management style is Autocratic. I would much rather have the whole team be involved in the decision making process, but I also realize that giving orders and having them followed at times is very important. I have done both.

My coworkers are like a second family to me. You spend so much of you life with these people that you actually become close friends with them and end up spending time with them off duty. Teams are very important in this line of work. You have to know your team has your back and you grow to trust each other implicitly.

The hardest part of my job is the hours. 2-11pm four days a week, sometimes more. One of those days is a weekend day, depending on what side of the week you work. Socializing or having any kind of productive family life is difficult, unless you have a very understanding family. Often you have to plan ahead for all of those "big events" that your children go through while growing up.

The most enjoyable part of my job again are the friends that I've made. Once you have worked at Kidspeace you are family, even if you find another job. I am still in contact with many of my former coworkers. There is also the yearly bass fishing derby, Christmas party, and Valentine's Dinner, and Kids Day in August. It is a great thing to be able to bring the outside world into a residential situation. Those kids deserve to experience holidays and school dances just like anyone else! – less
Fun and rewarding place to work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), Temple, PAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: making a differennce in the clients lives. free lunches, good hours and having holidays off
Cons: health care was cut, no pay raises, no paid vacations, lack of employee support
Overall I enjoyed working there, when I first started there was a real scene of support from management and co-workers, it was a fun place to work. We all worked together to support each other as well as the clients, however over the years as management changed so did attitudes and support. It then started to feel like the employees were just "people" and not so much of a family. A typical day would consist of greeting the clients as they came in the classroom, getting them started with their day, This included assisting the teacher in school work in varies of subject all the while observing the individual behaviors and interaction with staff and each other. I would line them up to prepare to move to which ever activity was planned for that day, Art, Gym, etc. I would then run whatever group was planned for the day. I would handle any crisis situation that may arise in both my classroom or any other that may need help. Prepare the clients for going home, I would then finish up any progress notes on each client and to hand them in before leaving. I enjoyed helping each client work through their problems and it was very rewarding to see some clients return to their home school and become successful. The hardest part of the job was to see the changes in management and how it affected us as employees and as a result made it harder to perform the job affectively.
good learning experience
Late night mental health technician (Current Employee), Orefield, PASeptember 30, 2014
it is a good place to work especially if you are interested in a career with troubled teens
Terrible Place to work, high turn over
Late Night Worker (Former Employee), Bowdon, GASeptember 24, 2014
Cons: not a great place to work!
This place is not a good place to work, the management do not care from the top to the bottom. To many people wanting to be in charge and the focus is off the important people of all the CHILDREN!!!!! You will be over work and will have no growth or pay raise trust me!!!!!
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee), Worthington, MNSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: staff
Cons: worked overnight
Worked with youth on treatment plans and everyday living. I was there to make sure youth was following direction such as...daily living routines, school schedules helping with home work. Passing medications at scheduled times. Helping youth with anger management issues etc.
Respite Youth Advocate
Respite Youth Advocate (Former Employee), Kingston, NYAugust 27, 2014
• Mentor youth by providing positive social, educational and emotional skills
• Create and develop service plans to achieve education, employment and overall health goals.
Difficult Job/Low Pay
Clinical (Former Employee), PAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: relationship with colleagues
Cons: dangerous environment, computer system poor, low pay, a lot of upper and middle management
Your typical day is exhaustive, never done with all the work. Computer system was horrible, at least when I was there. It would crash, freeze, whatever, and you could potentially lose hours worth of work. The children are physically, emotionally, and mentally unstable and it is a dangerous environment. The relationships you build with your colleagues can make or break you, so if you can cultivate good relationships there, that will be your best bet. The pay is extremely low.
Tough but rewarding
Educational Technician III (Former Employee), Ellsworth, MEJuly 18, 2014
Pros: excellent supportive staff with great humor
Cons: you may not get to eat your lunch
Waking up students at the residential units, you don't know what day you are going to have
Kids will curse, hit, bite, kick, and threaten you every way possible.
You got to have tough second skin but there are small moments that make you smile through all the hard work you put in.
The hardest part of the job is deciding this kid is being extremely unsafe and you have to put them in a restraint. It's tough and it is a last resort, but you have amazing staff to help you!

1 2 3

About KidsPeace

KidsPeace is a private charity dedicated to serving the behavioral and mental health needs of children, families and communities. – Read more

KidsPeace Salaries