Kiewit Employee Reviews

na
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXJanuary 16, 2017
As an issue counter attendant, I would issue, receive, and store hand tools and other power equipment as well as material that was needed for a specific project that was being worked on in the yard. Also, I would fill out orders and maintain any record of material and equipment leaving the warehouse
Time sensitive, busy, changing direction frequently & demanding
SAFETY COORDINATOR - QUALITY CONTROL ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CO 80045January 13, 2017
Very busy demanding work, which could change in a matter of minutes. Scheduling of all trades for inspection for Kiewit, VA, USACE, subcontractors and 3rd party inspectors.
Worked as a team with building teams, government employees, as well as Kiewit employees.
Management teams were amazing in assisting in the direction a task should go when a change was to be made.
I enjoyed my job very much it was fast paced, i was constantly learning new aspects of my job as well as helping other departments and learning about those responsibilities also.
The hardest part of the the job was coordinating the different trades, government officials, building teams, and the Kiewit staff when scheduling an inspection.
Pros
Great benefits - Rewards employees by acknowledging the hard work that is done.
Superintendent
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  SeattleJanuary 12, 2017
You get a very diversified resume when you work with the Kiewit companies and a leg up on the general industry. I would recommend Kiewit for the young Construction Managers.
Great people and surroundings
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Drakesboro, KYJanuary 10, 2017
Great environment but less pay than what i'd like. I'm on my feet for most of the day, I do mostly dirt work and check grade. Have to work in the hottest days and even coldest days and go in earlier when it snows to do snow removal, I have learned a lot from being on this job I have been there for almost a year now. I love they have family days and your family can come see what all your spouse does at work while having activities for the kids and food to serve to all the people.
Pros
most weekends off, great people
Cons
no paid holidays, or sick days, less pay
Fun but challenging workplace
Engineer & Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Good place to work. Compensation is nice and you will always be working on large exciting projects. Kiewit takes the time and spends the money on making sure it's employees receive tons of training. I really like the company.
Pros
Always will be working on large cool projects.
Cons
Work Life balance in some roles is tough.
Amazing
Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2017
Company was great to work for. I was a co-op and they really gave me hands on experience. All of my co-workers were friendly and overall was a great environment. If you want to push yourself there are always opportunities available. Truly a top tier company.
Kiewit
Sr. Structural Engr./Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 7, 2017
In my opinion, Kiewit Engineering and Design has grown too fast, too quickly. Their management does not have a vision for the company and do not know how to grow the work load to match the staff that they have put into place. Also, the org chart is "management heavy" and there are many unnecessary positions.
Pros
Good working comradarie.
Cons
Horrible management without a vision, or experience.
Great company to work for
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Eagle River, AKDecember 13, 2016
excellent company to work for. All the years I've been working in Alaska this is the best company I have ever worked for. I would be more than happy to work for Kiewit anytime.
Talent Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 9, 2016
I enjoyed my employment with Kiewit. They are a good company with an outstanding reputation in the construction industry. They have some of the best benefits I have seen.
It was the best expirence i had ever work on
Scaffold Builder Helper (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 7, 2016
I loved working with kiewit so many expirences good vacation days so many benefits and all the leadmens doing it their job every time it's a great company thank you kiewit
work every day
Estimator and Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Chicagoland Area, ILDecember 6, 2016
Kiewit Western trained well their people, I learned estimating, team work, organization how important is record keeping and cost tracking. I did not envy the very long hours which included weekends.
Pros
Safety
Cons
very long hours which included weekends.
Kiewit
Electrical Designer/Estimator (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 5, 2016
I was just a number and did not feel like career advancement was very possible. It was a lot of repetitive work and I was not given much opportunity to be creative and put some serious thought into my work. They had set systems in place which were hard to get used to and the systems were complex and endless.
Field mechanic
Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 5, 2016
I was a mechanic for tic for 5 years and loved my job. I disliked having a new boss every year. I won't lie I'd go back and finish a career with them if they called. But they backed me into a corner and cut my pay and took my perdiem away.
Pros
Pay 401k
Cons
No training
what i learned
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVDecember 5, 2016
I like working as a team
I can do independent work as well
love getting work done as fast as possible
I am the hardest worker you will ever meet
Pros
love to make money
Horrible Work/Life Balance
BUSINESS MANAGER / CONTRACT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CONovember 28, 2016
It is difficult to get the training you need to do your job effectively. You will be overworked and will have to work 45-60 hours consistently to get the job done, with no overtime pay if you are salaried. Benefits are great.
Benefits
Cons
Good work place but could use a more posotive atmosphere
Painter blaster (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXNovember 28, 2016
Working for Kiewit is very opening and you must be very mindful and you learn a lot there are very friendly people and co workers that make you feel like you are in a safe work environment but the upper management abuse there power
Pros
Payed holidays
Cons
Needs better management and better work atmosphere
Baptism by fire - they throw you in with little or no training
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 17, 2016
The only people who get ahead are the ones that are willing to work around the clock without time for anything else. If someone has an issue with you it isn't very long before you are pulled in to a room and written up because of some small infraction and the next minute you are out. I watched one manager literally get rid of her whole department one at a time because she didn't hire them. She would purposefully reprimand you in front of everyone to embarrass you to get you to leave. That is the type of manager they promoted.
I watched another manager get promoted up and survived a software conversion - worked around the clock - was promised once the system was up and running everything would be good - but when the time came - bang another lame project dumped on them because of someone else's incompetence.

Turnover is incredible.
Pros
fairly good pay
Cons
Culture - only those who work around the clock survive, turnover
Financially stable
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 16, 2016
Lots of opportunity for those who are able to travel.
Depending on the district, work life balance is not a high priority to management.
I liked working for this company
Lead Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, CONovember 15, 2016
This company is a good company to work for. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers. The safety program was great.They were well organized company. I completed my job with them and moved on to another only because that is how Colorado union works.
Pros
fair work enviroment
Cons
N/A
Not a company ill work for again
Eqipment operator (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, CONovember 13, 2016
Worked for several company's thru out my 18 years union, made up my mind to retire after working for kewit you have to brown nose to get anywhere not me will never work there again.
Pros
Cons
No lunch break operators work labor 80 percent of the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.