Working for the Killeen Daily Heralds means several things. To keep it simple here are the things you can expect to deal with when you start:
1. You will be required NO negotiation to take on job responsibilities that have nothing to do with the job you were hired for, due to the high turnover rates, and you will be expected to be able to handle someone else's responsibilities to the point it will stress your own and you WILL be accused of not knowing how to do your job.
2. You will deal with managers who are elected to there positions because the formers would have left for the above reasons, and because of that, you will be essentially taking orders from someone who does not know what they are doing. Just ask some of managers how they got there.
3. You will subject to "Good 'll boy" politics in the workplace and if you are under the age of 30, or without children expect to be treated as if you don't know what your talking about. Notice the lack of young employees compared to the older ones and you will understand this more. I have seen many come in all bright eyed fresh from school eager to work only to leave(quit/fired) frustrated at how they were treated. It's akin to the old person shouting at kids to get off their lawn. Everything in the building is very old and computers die all the time only to be replaced with another computer that will eventually do the same.
4. Again, do to the high turnover rate and stressfull working conditions EXPECT a low moral. Many there have been working for over a year and are always complaining, and the saying "I just work here" gets thrown around to the point you'll think it's the company slogan. Literally answers to legit questions will be "I just work here" When you think you're being singled out as a bad seed or given too many jobs that clash against your own, just remember there are several more people there that are in your same shoes. Also management is very spiteful and when they want you out they will make it very uncomfortable You can all gather to cry in the bathroom during your break.
5. Lastly and maybe the most important is that KDH is not a company who wants to move forward, so do not think that you are walking into a job where you will be making a difference or helping the company to advance. They only want grunts to help them continue with their bad practices. KDH has a terrible management system and nobody really knows where things are because there is no structure to the paper trail. Do to their stubbornness to change as an old newspaper company, there is NOTHING you can do to help them no matter how well meaning you are.
All in all to sum up. The Good ol boy system is in full effect and expect to take on about 3 or more jobs that come from the high turnover rate. There is no unified management structure so nobody knows where anything is. Your manager will mostly likely do more to hinder you, and any young people need not apply, you are not welcome on their grass.