Killeen Daily Herald Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
stressful environment
Circulation Manager (Current Employee) –  1809 Florence Rd Killeen, TX.May 16, 2017
It's a very fast paced, stressful environment. Things change from minute to minute, you must pay very close attention and keep up. The business is a 24 hour, around the clock one.
Good Newsroom
Sports Writer (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 31, 2017
I worked on the sports desk with 4 other sportswriters. Very friendly atmosphere. Enjoyed covering the area high schools and home football games for Baylor, Texas A&M and University of Texas.
Good paper
Intern Reporter (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXDecember 8, 2016
This paper covers some big issues on a local level. Editors encourage writers to investigate and write in depth. Work load is reasonable and morale is high among reporters.
This place will waste your time.
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 3, 2016
This is a quantity over quality kind of place no matter how much they say they are about quality.

I worked in the Digital media department as a web designer, and it was one of the most confusing experiences I've ever had in life. Computers were all old Window XP's covered in dust would shut off at random times. My phone had orange crud inside the receiver. My manager was not a web designer but a person who simply knew how to use WordPress, with no design skills what so ever, who would side with clients over the silliest decisions, because in her mind even though there paying us to give them top notch service and come up with solutions, whatever they wanted, they got. This often led to websites taking longer than necessary to complete because clients would constantly change their minds or blames us for the website looking terrible and want to cancel.

The place is full of roaches, and not small little ones. I halfway expected it because of the back of the building is open a lot, due to manufacturing, but finding them in the break rooms, bathrooms and under your desk in your cubicle was just awful.

Lastly, this place has a high turnover rate, and don't let anybody fool you into thinking the reason is because this place has high values and integrity. They simply don't like new people coming trying to take things into new directions, asking questions, or fixing a problem to a flawed system that they just don't want to give up. I've seen long standing employees quit after years of KDH fatigue and they all say the same thing. They also like to give you job responsibilities
  more... that are outside of the job requirement because the turnover is so high they would need to hire too many employees at one time.  less
Pros
Free Lunches, Employees were mostly nice
Cons
Brown Nosing, Quantity over Quality, Management does not care about you
fun work when called
Freelance Photographer/Writer (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXOctober 18, 2016
work for them money isnt great but its typical compensation lots of work available but hard to get in at first they have specific people they like to go to
good way to get money
paper delivery (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXAugust 24, 2016
It is easy way to get money for your bills and family that you need.The people there are very nice.The hardest part about the job was throwing the papers in the puring rain
Had a Great Experience
Production (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXAugust 12, 2016
I have had a wonderful experience working at the Killeen Daily Herald. The management has always been fair, understanding and compassionate. If you work hard and care about your job then you will have a good experience.
This is a fast paced environment job but is so rewarding at the end of the day. You leave here feeling productive. There are opportunities to advance and they go above and beyond to train you for the position you're hired for.
Like anywhere else, when you have over 100 employees in one place you will see a turn over. But there are many employees at KDH that have been there for 10, 15 and even 35+ years! The employees that don't stay around are usually people that require a little bit of a different pace, need more attention or don't understand the need to produce quality work. Which is fine. It may not be for every body. After reading a couple of these reviews its clear that they were disgruntled about something but if I have ever had any issues, management has an open door policy and we worked through the issue together.
I was at KDH for over 5 years and never dreaded coming to work. Which was important to me.
Pros
Fast paced, Fair, Rewarding
Not a hard job.
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 9, 2016
This company has to keep its eye on the bottom dollar as they rely on subscriptions and ad sales for their revenue stream. Today's technology is driving both of these streams down. I believe this company could save thousands a year by not printing a paper one day a week.
Pros
Cons
Seven nights a week
Good
Distribution Department Member (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 15, 2016
Good place to work. Don't feel that my time there can give me a whole view of the entire work environment and experience. On a daily I Assembled newspaper ad bundles in stacks to transport to their prospective cities. Placed inserts into the daily and weekend paper and operating the Dynaric Machine.
My Review
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 28, 2015
I assisted the customers in any way I could. Im a fast learner and great at multi tasking. Meeting new people was good and exciting. I love a new and difficult challenge in my life.
Pros
Fast learning
Cons
Weekends were always not good for me
Stay Far Far Away
SPECIAL PROJECTS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  killeenMarch 18, 2015
Worst Place I have ever worked, horrible negative environment. Overly micromanaged. Nice employees but management treats people horribly and major turn over rate.
Pros
you get a paycheck
Cons
management, technology, morale, awful work environment, high stress low pay
Not idea
Copperas Cove Herald Editor (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 16, 2015
The company hires "yes" who only push the CEO's personal agenda rather than produce an ethical news publication. The atmosphere is that of a high school locker room, where everyone just wants to talk negative behind everyone else's back. As such, I would suggest any future journalist/editor stare clear.
Pros
can work outside of office
Cons
lack of management, and no care for employees personal lives or familes
Okay job
Newsdealer (Former Employee) –  Copperas Cove, TXMarch 13, 2015
Typical Day:

Arrive at midnight. Recieve your route papers. Take your papers to your vehicle. Have them rolled and bagged in an hour or hour and a half then get on the road. Have to be done by 6am during the week, 7am for Sundays paper.

What I learned:

Time management as well as journey management. How to improvise nightly schedule depending on the nightly customer revision sheet.

Management:

Just gave updates about current going on's and talked to employees when they needed it.

Co-workers:

They were awesome. If someone needed help rolling papers and delivering papers they were quick to pull together.

Hardest part of job:

Sunday nights, holiday papers, and routes that are too big for one person to complete by themselves in the alotted time.

Most enjoyable part of job:

Driving and throwing papers
Pros
Driving at night, freedom from daytime traffic
Cons
Some routes are too big for one person, inclement weather
Talented staff with passion for producing a strong product
Assistant Sports Editor (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 2, 2015
KDH provides me the opportunity to do what I love - cover sports. I get to interact with coaches and players from the Class 1A to Class 6A levels and provide in-depth coverage of the teams. I am surrounded by a sports staff consisting of equally passionate writers, which makes for a strong section on a daily basis.
Where I found my passion for client relationships
Lead Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 9, 2014
Working with the Killeen Daily Herald allowed me to find my passion, creating relationships.
Multi-taking a must
Advertising Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJuly 7, 2014
With constantly changing deadlines and priorities, you learn quickly that multi-tasking is a must!
constant turnover in sports department
FREELANCE JOURNALIST (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 3, 2014
My entire opinion is based on my time in the sports section.
Initially it was fantastic, but a total turnover in my department basically created an environment where I was forgotten about and wasn't able to follow my own leads on stories. Mind you I have been writing for the paper for about three years, so the loss of hours wasn't owing to my lack of ability or experience.
Pros
watch sports for gree
Cons
low pay, bad hours, very little feeling upward mobility
Does not pay
Collections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXApril 8, 2014
He would be a really great employer if he would just offer benefits to all his employees and pay based on your position. I was a supervisor making 8 bucks an hour. Very sad.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Cant pay your bills based on salary.
Great potential, but turnover is high and management structure needs work
Photo Editor (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 22, 2013
A typical day consist of scheduling and photographing art for multiple newspaper publications and the web.

I learned to tell a story through the use of photographic images.

The management structure and staffers changed so often it was hard to maintain continuity.

I worked with some the most talented and hardest-working journalists and photojournalists in my 15 years as a photographer.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the lack of communication and management shortcomings.

The most enjoyable parts of the job were anytime I was looking through the viewfinder of my Canon DSLR camera.
Pros
Being able to get paid for doing what I love
Cons
poor management structure
Suitable hours for compensating school
Newspaper Organizer/Assembler (Former Employee) –  1809 Florence Rd. Killeen, Tx. 76541November 18, 2013
The Killeen Daily Herald provided hours that enabled my primary focus for completing my degree program. Night hours allowed me to complete assignments during the day when I am most focused and able to concentrate.
Pros
Night shift
Cons
Working up to 16 hours per night standing on a concrete floor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Killeen Daily Herald. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7