Kimball Midwest Employee Reviews

Inside Sales Manager = negligent
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 8, 2016
The inside sales manager depended on my coworkers to train me. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, but they did 90% of my training, while he listened to podcasts in the back of the office. The manager is extremely slow and seems jaded. There is no sales training program and the job is basically catalog sales. The base pay is barely over minimum-wage and they still deduct 10% from your overall sales for that compensation. The health insurance is ridiculously expensive and the deductible is $6000 for minimal health coverage. The biggest turn off was the manager's lack of care. He allowed some staff members to come and go as they please, all while they had the best territories with the biggest accounts. This to me was a prime indication of favoritism. None of them are true sales people, nor do they know how to probe and support customers/prospects.
Pros
Monday - Friday work schedule
Cons
Low payout, poor inside sales management
No plan from top down
New territory developement (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 7, 2016
They hired me to build a legitimate territory they said, from scratch, and then told me I had to open up as many junk accounts as I could to make my numbers. Never had a real plan to give me the time to build the legit business that we talked about. Then took my salary away and made the position a commission only job. With no hope of making any real sales and making real money. Bad business plan !
Pros
Cons
going to work for them is a mistake
Great Company to work for and you can advance
Marketing Support (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 13, 2016
I worked for this company for 24 years, taking care of the external and internal customer base and sales force, as well as working side by side for different internal offices. I learned how to listen, take notes and deliver what the customers and sales force needs to help Kimball Midwest be a successful company. All management within Kimball Midwest are fantastic, they work with you not against you. The hardest part of the job: was being able to multitask at first, but your realize that in any job this is what makes you stronger and can show your abilities. Most enjoyable part of the job: Being around an awesome company the hard work pays off. The best employer and employees ever.
Pros
Family owned, employee appreciations/lunches/CEO shows his appreciation
Cons
Don't have any cons
Bad pay, good environment
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 10, 2016
Bad management and low pay but great culture and work-life balance. They have a great culture that makes everyone feel like they are a valued part of the company.
Lots of Cold Calling exciting to see area grow
Account Manger (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
The job requires an immense amount of self discipline, and hours work a day, tremendous amount of cold calling to be successful
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Long Hours, lot of Cold Calling, Rejection
Nice place to work
Credit/Collections Asst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 24, 2016
Enjoyed learning more about accounting practices and working in new industry. Worked with Sales people and customers in regards to pass due invoices and payments
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Storefront Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 11, 2016
Kimball Midwest is a wonderful family owned company. They stand by their core values and treat everyone equally. The company is built around Sales Representatives, so internal people often feel left out. Overall I would suggest Kimball Midwest as a company to work for.
National Distributor of MRO Supplies
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MaineMarch 23, 2016
Very good business model, 80% USA made products, no shipping, no minimums. Very good employee training and support program.
Lacking coordinated leadership
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
The leadership is tunnel visioned and only focus on immediate concerns without regard to impacts to future work situations. They are friendly but selfish when it comes interdepartmental work. The work environment was laid back were you could do you work your way to a degree. They always tried to change things in the work habits but always made the job harder and not worth it for the low pay rates.
Pros
Work cook out for good months
Cons
Poor leadership
Not new to the field..
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chehalis, WAFebruary 29, 2016
Began with Kimball after 7 years with a competitor. It took nearly a year before I could relax and see that Kimball believes in their reps and customers. Everyone is Family. The pay is commission and your hard work reflects what you are worth. If you don't put in much....don't expect much. The best part is that after building customer relationships, your just paid to talk to friends.
Pros
Co-workers are like family. You determine your value.
Cons
If you're self motivated....its not for you.
Positive work environment. Supportive management team.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZDecember 11, 2015
I enjoy meeting with my customers and having the satisfaction to be able to provide product and solve problems for them. When they call me for help with a project they are working on I stop what I am doing to try to get answers for them as quick as possible. They appreciate the service they receive and often comment how they are still waiting on an answer or an order from another company.

Sometimes, if I can't provide the product or we don't supply what the customer needs I feel like I have let them down.
Pros
Company is dedicated to provide quality products to its customers at a fair price, Maintains inventory. Excellent service and distribution of product
Cons
I am commission sales representative & would like to see a form of paid vacation based on production
Productive and fast pace environment
picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHDecember 10, 2015
I would go to my station make sure I had everything I would need to work at a fast pace.I learned a lot about warehouse work and it was a very good work experience. I enjoyed my management they were nice understanding people. My co-workers were pleasant to work with as well. Hardest part about job was walking all through warehouse. The most enjoyable pat of the job was seeing all the work I accomplished.
Pros
We had a company cookout for doing our job so well.
Cons
Walking a lot.
Good Company to work with supportive management
MRO Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLNovember 24, 2015
The training and support I was able to acquire in a short time was totally excellent... very supportive and to show and tell equipment and tools ...

The only issue is that in the area I had the Company is not well know and represented, probably because of sales reps turnover ...

So lot's of issues for new reps paying for issues done in the past ...
Pros
Excellent Inventory and shipping ... product line above average
Cons
Credit Department to extrict !!! We are sales people Not bill collectors
interview
sales (Former Employee) –  oklahoma cityNovember 16, 2015
I interviewed with them they promised me they would call me back on a certain day if I get the job or not. They never did. I called them back they said they went with another rep. Very unprofessional period.
Would you like some ice cream with your pie in sky?
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 8, 2015
This company has a constant turnover and is not conducive for a professional salesperson to make a decent living. Promises, promises, promises. No existing accounts/territory as promised. Conduct your dog and pony show for an occasional biscuit!
Pros
Cons
everything
autonomy
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  st louisOctober 6, 2015
there was a lot of variety in what I did each day. products were first rate, but methods and equipment were a little monotonous
Work in the evening while your fellow workers come and go as they please
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 2, 2015
When I started I thought this was a great place to work and I was on 2nd shift. However you start realize there really isn't enough work for everyone to do on 2nd shift so you start seeing people just go home early. If you need help with projects or anything they won't make them help you and be a team, they will let them go home early and you get to stay until 11pm and work on them yourself. Stockers get paid a lower rate and they will have you help in other depts that actually get paid more than you and you won't get the difference paid to you. They will just expect you to help since you are 2nd shift and 1st shift needs help to finish their work for the day. Also don't let anyone know if you plan on looking for another a job, no matter how close you feel to them because they will then discharge you and claim that you quit. It's not worth the hassle working here. At first I was impressed and then I realized they are very biased on who they have do what. I was also told I was training to take over someone's position because they were leaving but when the managers "relative" decided he wanted to come back to work there, they decided he could have the position and I could be stuck where I was.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, laid back
Cons
made to do other depts work, promise you other positions and don't follow through, lack of management, lots of turn over
Good Company to Work With
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 25, 2015
Good Company to work with if you like commission only sales. Great products and an excellent customer service team.
Kimball Midwest has on going training through their website.
Pros
Customer Service Minded
Cons
No Online Presence
Lacks tactical technology
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Yuba City, CASeptember 14, 2015
they have still not caught up to the necessary technological advances needed to accurately create penetration strategies for territory reps. Lots of overlap and reps not even knowing if a prospect is a current customer until they ask the prospect. Makes the company look like they dont even know their own customers. training is good, however, the building blocks are pressure driven and have no significance overall except to show ability.
Pros
Great Upper Level Leadership
Cons
Field Leadership
nice company
customer service (Current Employee) –  savannah, gaSeptember 13, 2015
its a nice company, great work environment. not a lot of opportunities to grow, great schedule. management is great. i get to take calls and do some inventory, love my breaks and the people i work with.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
not a lot of chance to advance, healthcare benefits

2.6